The best book you have read recently

Read 148932 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: The Best Book You have read recently
      Reply #230: Aug 11, 2010 07:49:23 am
      For some reason, I used to read a lot more when I was still at Uni, with a lot less time to do so. Now I have all day and night to read my books, I haven't touched one for weeks!

I'm getting back to them soon though, and I'm looking for a few more in the next few days - I really love buying books.

I finally finished readin Fever Pitch . What a great read , for any fan of our great game . Maybe it should be compulsory reading for "the we haven't won anything in 5 years , so sack Wenger etc." Arsenal supporters that seem to be gaining in numbers dramatically . It might serve as a wake up call to em and they might realise we have gone far , far longer without trophies .

I have already strongly recommended this book to all my family - not that I expect them to like it, it's just a way to make them know me better. Obviously no one read it, but I guess it would be easier for them to understand me if they did :D

It's absolutely brilliant, it would be even better if he was a Liverpool fan, but the fact it's about his support of Arsenal FC dont really matter at all, it could be any club that it would still be the best attempt to describe the way I feel about the game I ever read. I wish I had his talent to put all those feelings into words.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #231: Aug 11, 2010 10:54:38 am
      Finally read High Fidelity - Nick Hornby, been meaning to get it for years as i love the film.

What a brilliant read. I love the way he writes, and being a guy that thinks about relationships and stuff a lot i felt a lot of myself in the character (apart from the age :D )

Boss book and film, probably one of the better Nick Hornby books.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #232: Aug 11, 2010 10:56:32 am
      I finally finished readin Fever Pitch . What a great read , for any fan of our great game . Maybe it should be compulsory reading for "the we haven't won anything in 5 years , so sack Wenger etc." Arsenal supporters that seem to be gaining in numbers dramatically . It might serve as a wake up call to em and they might realise we have gone far , far longer without trophies .

Not bad, sh*t ending though ;) in fact we'll say nightmare ending.

Good point about the Johnny come lately brigade. Also the points he makes in the book when touching on Hillsborough are good.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #233: Aug 12, 2010 12:05:02 pm
      Im half way through "Winning" written by Clive Woodward about his time as manager of the England Rugby WC team.

Excellent stuff so far.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #234: Aug 22, 2010 04:27:05 am
      Will have to get onto reading Fever Pitch, seems like a good read (apart from that ending HR speaks of!)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #235: Aug 23, 2010 02:08:55 pm
      That is so weird. I've not even looked in this thread for ages.

I've been reading 'About A Boy' lately, and I've just been bought 'Fever Pitch' for my birthday.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #236: Aug 23, 2010 02:44:05 pm
      Finished "44 Years With The Same Bird" a while back and i'd recommend it to everyone. A great account of a fan juggling their club with their family and career, for better or worse.

After that i read "El Nino My Story". Pretty basic book, hardly a page turner. No great revelations or anything that you look for in a great autobiography but as a liverpool fan it has its interesting parts. Really it was just an income opportunity for Nando.

I finished "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed it but there's just a few too many similarities to "The Da Vinci Code" and "Angels and Demons". Then the last 10 or so chapters drag on a bit. But as its own story and book i thought it was brilliant, plenty of twists and turns and always keeps you thinking.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #237: Aug 23, 2010 05:13:06 pm
      That is so weird. I've not even looked in this thread for ages.

I've been reading 'About A Boy' lately, and I've just been bought 'Fever Pitch' for my birthday.

I still think High Fidelity is still one of Hornby's better books.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #238: Aug 24, 2010 08:52:43 pm
      I'll probably read that after I've finished these two.

I've seen the film though and really enjoyed it.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #239: Aug 25, 2010 10:24:34 am
      Finished a couple of James Elroy, American Tabloid, and The Cold Six Thousand - gotta read Blood's A Rover now to complete the trilogy. 2 great read so far, an author I really rate, who also wrote LA Confidential, amongst others.

Finished Dan Browns The Lost Symbol last night - meh.

For the Bret Easton Ellis fans, also read The Rules Of Attraction, and Less Than Zero - they are the other 2 books in the trilogy that American Psycho is part of. I enjoyed them when I read them, as I love satire and social commentary, especially when it is dressed up in a way that is subtle.

As you may have guessed, I'm a big reader, and get through a couple of books a week.

I'd recommend:
      Roddy Doyles Barrytown Trilogy (The Commitments, The Snapper, The Van) and the Henry Smart books (not comedy) A Star Called Henry, Oh Play That Thing, The Dead Republic.

Dan Simmons - sci-fi (hard) thrillers, historical novels.

James Elroy - crime/thriller

Alastair Reynolds - sci-fi (hard)

James Clavell - historical novels, with Shogun based loosely on the time around Musashi Miyamoto's rise to fame.

Eiji Yoshikawa - Musashi (early life of the legendary swordsman)

Many, many others but the above includes some current favourites, and some all time favourites.
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010 10:34:07 am by KennyIsKing »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #240: Aug 25, 2010 01:05:47 pm
      Finished 'About A Boy' last night. Going to start reading 'Fever Pitch' now.

If I enjoy that too, I'll move onto 'High Fidelity'.
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #241: Aug 25, 2010 01:24:27 pm
      Roddy Doyles Barrytown Trilogy (The Commitments, The Snapper, The Van) and the Henry Smart books (not comedy) A Star Called Henry, Oh Play That Thing, The Dead Republic.

Yeah, I second Roddy Doyle. I liked A Star Called Henry more than Oh Play That Thing. I have yet to read The Dead Republic. How does it measure up to the first two, KIK?

Finished 'About A Boy' last night. Going to start reading 'Fever Pitch' now.

If I enjoy that too, I'll move onto 'High Fidelity'.

Fever Pitch is a different animal, Ross. It's non-fiction...more of a memoir centered on being an Arsenal supporter. If you liked About A Boy, you will like High Fidelity, especially seeing how you are a music fan.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #242: Aug 25, 2010 02:59:54 pm
      When I read the blurb I did wonder that, actually. So the film 'Fever Pitch' has nothing to do with the book then?

I know I'll definitely like High Fidelity. Really liked the film.
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #243: Aug 25, 2010 04:09:46 pm
      When I read the blurb I did wonder that, actually. So the film 'Fever Pitch' has nothing to do with the book then?

I know I'll definitely like High Fidelity. Really liked the film.

I haven't seen the movie (Fever Pitch), but from I understand it's different. I'd actually like to hear from someone who has read the book and seen the movie.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #244: Aug 25, 2010 04:51:32 pm
      My mum just came back with another one of his books!

'A Long Way Down'. She's going to read it whilst I read 'Fever Pitch' and then we're going to swap.
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #245: Aug 25, 2010 05:28:22 pm
      My mum just came back with another one of his books!

'A Long Way Down'. She's going to read it whilst I read 'Fever Pitch' and then we're going to swap.

I think I started reading that one, but stopped. I have a feeling I didn't care for it, but I can't quite recall.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #246: Aug 25, 2010 06:52:25 pm
      Yeah, I second Roddy Doyle. I liked A Star Called Henry more than Oh Play That Thing. I have yet to read The Dead Republic. How does it measure up to the first two, KIK?

It's more disturbing than the first 2 and (maybe because it's more modern day) hits closer to the bone.

I really enjoyed it, and it had some genuinely poignant moments.

As for "A Long Way Down" - not one of his best efforts, but strangely I enjoyed that book a lot more than some of Hornby's others.

I tend to treat Hornby as light reading is probably why.

I've read the book and seen the movie "Fever Pitch" and the book is better - as usual.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #247: Aug 26, 2010 05:07:33 pm
      Used a £20 book voucher today to buy High Fidelity, Slam (Nick Hornby) and The Road (McCarthy).
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #248: Aug 26, 2010 06:14:29 pm
      You'll love High Fidelity mate. Already thinking about reading it again.
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #249: Aug 26, 2010 08:51:33 pm
      Used a £20 book voucher today to buy High Fidelity, Slam (Nick Hornby) and The Road (McCarthy).

Nice. Never read Slam. Is that the one that's teen literature? The Road was a bleak read, though good.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #250: Aug 30, 2010 12:33:22 pm
      Few chapters into 'High Fidelity' now. Loving it.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #251: Aug 30, 2010 12:42:14 pm
      I'm half way through 'We the Living' by Ayn Rand, it is brilliant, the most well-written of her books.
      Dizzy Munchkin
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 538 posts | 17 
      Reply #252: Aug 30, 2010 05:03:52 pm
      Finished : On The Run - Gregg & Gina Hill   excellent it was about their time in  witness protection  & because of their fathers acts had to move & change their made 3/4 times

Quick Reply