Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

The best book you have read recently

Read 148928 times
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Re: The best book you have read recently
      Reply #736: May 23, 2013 03:01:13 pm
      Anyone read Inferno by Dan Brown? Not sure if the "mad scientist wants to screw the world" story convinces me

Started the Song of Ice and Fire series...WOW, fantastic read so far, waaaaay better that The HBO series, and i rate them very highly. Thanks to whoever recommended them in this thread
      wolves76
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #737: Jun 16, 2013 04:32:15 pm
      Just finished Norman Mailers last book Castle In The Forest. It is fantastic and a great legacy to a great writer.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #738: Jun 16, 2013 05:27:09 pm
      Sphere of influence by Kyle mills. My favourite ever book. Read a book years ago caller God is a bullet, its about a man trying to get his young daughter back from a cult, can't remember the author though, but id love to read it again.
      Scottbot

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #739: Jun 16, 2013 10:56:08 pm
      Anyone read Inferno by Dan Brown? Not sure if the "mad scientist wants to screw the world" story convinces me

Started the Song of Ice and Fire series...WOW, fantastic read so far, waaaaay better that The HBO series, and i rate them very highly. Thanks to whoever recommended them in this thread

Your on a hell of  a journey with those books fella! They've done an excellent job with the series but the books are top top drawer. I read them all in 6 months
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #740: Jul 13, 2013 06:33:19 pm
      “If he needs a million acres to make him feel rich, seems to me he needs it 'cause he feels awful poor inside hisself, and if he's poor in hisself, there ain't no million acres gonna make him feel rich, an' maybe he's disappointed that nothin' he can do 'll make him feel rich.”

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,465 posts | 4815 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #741: Jul 22, 2013 11:18:16 pm
      Bought A Game of Thrones yesterday, looking forward to it from what I've heard.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #742: Jul 22, 2013 11:31:01 pm
      Just finished The Carpet People, obstensibly a kids book but a very adult undercurrent and it certainly has foreshadows of Pratchett's later work.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #743: Jul 22, 2013 11:35:16 pm
      “If he needs a million acres to make him feel rich, seems to me he needs it 'cause he feels awful poor inside hisself, and if he's poor in hisself, there ain't no million acres gonna make him feel rich, an' maybe he's disappointed that nothin' he can do 'll make him feel rich.”

I read that years ago Diego.  Can remember bits of it and the general storyline and would like to read it again.  I might just try to find it when I'm at my Mums next.
      Scottbot

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #744: Jul 24, 2013 10:42:44 pm
      Currently reading Mort, one of the Discworld books.  Love Pratchett's warped thinking.

Mort was the first discworld book i read back in the early 90s. Have been an avid fan ever since. Have just started one of his latest 'Snuff' in the guards series.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #745: Jul 27, 2013 08:11:24 am
      Finally got round to reading Cloud Atlas, well worth the wait, a top tenner for me  :)
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #746: Jul 27, 2013 01:41:20 pm
      Been re-reading some Elmore Leonard too. 'Get Shorty' still a stand-out, don't be put off by the film  :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #747: Jul 27, 2013 03:59:16 pm
      Been re-reading some Elmore Leonard too. 'Get Shorty' still a stand-out, don't be put off by the film  :)

Love the book and the film tbh. Also enjoyed reading Hombre and Fire In The Hole, which the TV series Justified was derived from.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #748: Jul 28, 2013 10:44:02 am
      Didn't know that about Fire In The Hole, Out of Sight next up for me.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #749: Jul 28, 2013 05:06:53 pm
      Didn't know that about Fire In The Hole, Out of Sight next up for me.

Yeah, that's where the character Raylan Givens comes from, the first episode was called "Fire In The Hole" too.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #750: Jul 28, 2013 05:10:45 pm
      Yeah, that's where the character Raylan Givens comes from, the first episode was called "Fire In The Hole" too.

Screenwriters must love Leonard's books, everything literally laid out on the page for them. Will definitely check that book and tv show out, thanks for the info.
      Scottbot

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #751: Aug 16, 2013 01:01:57 am
      Have just started reading the Hunger Games. Have started with book 2 as I'm told the movie followed the first book to the letter. Really enjoying it so far plus the movie was absolutely superb.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #752: Sep 06, 2013 04:16:33 pm
      Finished End This Depression Now! by Paul Krugman, which argues about the origins of the current crisis, the fallacy of austerity and the intellectual/political origins of that argument, as well as providing what he views as the solution for the crisis. Very entertaining read and highly recommended. Krugman is brilliant at writing for all kinds of people, economists or not.

I've now embarked in a book about a similar subject, named Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea, by Mark Blyth. The purpose of the book is relatively similar to that of Krugman but the emphasis is different.
      Dizzy Munchkin
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 538 posts | 17 
      Reply #753: Sep 22, 2013 02:14:35 pm
      GROUND TRUTH- Patrick Bishop, Very good book about what is going on in Afganistan, interesting to read that while the public don't want our army out there, the soldiers WANT to be there & NOT sitting back In Blighty twilling their thumbs!
      Have read quite a few of his book some wonderful insights.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #754: Sep 22, 2013 03:39:40 pm
      Anyone else finding Red Or Dead  a bit tough going?

At first I liked the repetitive style Peace uses in the book but now I'm thinking it just a bit too much.

Although the subject matter is more interesting to me than The Damned United I flew through that one and am struggling a but with this.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #755: Oct 17, 2013 04:25:23 pm
      Anyone going to get Morrissey's autobiography? Personally, I can't wait to read it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #756: Oct 27, 2013 11:01:49 pm
      Anyone going to get Morrissey's autobiography? Personally, I can't wait to read it.

Got it and reading it at the minute.

Only in the first few chapters but it doesn'e feel like it is going to disappoint.
      ozk
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #757: Oct 31, 2013 10:36:50 pm
      Just finished the Millenium trilogy. Epic! RIP Stieg Larsson
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #758: Nov 02, 2013 12:43:24 pm

I finished it last week. The start and his childhood are beautifully described. Later on it gets a little tedious in one or two places but I still enjoyed it overall.

Quick Reply