Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Brad Jones (Liverpool -> Bradford City)

Read 87534 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Brad Jones Player Thread
      Reply #299: Oct 30, 2013 11:20:27 am
      He must be loving it, he gets to train keep fit get paid decent money and doesnt have the matchday pressure. Feet up easy life, but seriously I think he will be off in the summer (not sure  how long he has left on contract) prob back to Aussie to play out the rest of his career. A back up keeper is important but I would much prefer a younger keeper on Very low wages as you never need to rest a 1st team keeper or rotate so you dont play that often as a 2nd keeper. Get rid in the summer loose his wages and promote a young keeper to U21 and on matchdays have him on the bench to soak up the 1st team.

He signed an extension early 2013 so can't see him going anywhere.  I believe we released/loaned/sold 4 keepers in the summer including Reina and our 3rd choice now is usually Danny Ward our u21's keeper who turned 20 in June.  We'll hang on to Brad who's on fairly low wages until our younger keepers are ready to take over.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #300: Oct 30, 2013 12:37:44 pm
      He signed an extension early 2013 so can't see him going anywhere.  I believe we released/loaned/sold 4 keepers in the summer including Reina and our 3rd choice now is usually Danny Ward our u21's keeper who turned 20 in June.  We'll hang on to Brad who's on fairly low wages until our younger keepers are ready to take over.
      Sound cheers bud wasnt sure how long he had left, really like the lad and if he's happy being a back up or reserve keeper then thats great and if wages are low makes sense to keep hold
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #301: Sep 21, 2014 08:38:20 am
      So, presumably he'll be playing against Boro.

If he does well and keeps a clean sheet, then he really should be starting our next league match.  If he doesn't then he should probably find a new club in January, because if Jones doesn't get a shot now with Mignolet as poor as he is, then he never will. 

Let's hope he takes his chance at Boro and shows Brendan he's worthy of starting until Valdes gets here.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #302: Sep 21, 2014 12:34:44 pm
      So, presumably he'll be playing against Boro.

If he does well and keeps a clean sheet, then he really should be starting our next league match. 

No he shouldn't.

Nowhere near good enough to start for us in the Premier League.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #303: Dec 03, 2014 06:05:06 am
      To be honest, this whole Mignolet fiasco almost reflects even more poorly on Jones than it does Mignolet.

I mean can you imagine any other team in the league who would still have Mignolet in the starting XI at this point?

The only reason Mignolet is still out on the pitch is because Jones is actually worse than Mignolet, mind-boggling as that may be.

They should both be off in January to be honest.  We're trying to build an improved squad, where whoever is on the bench is just about at the same level as the player in front of him in the lineup.  i.e., we're trying to avoid situations where there is a massive drop in quality from starter to sub, like last season from, say, Suarez to Aspas.  We're getting there slowly but surely; Coutinho starts, and has Lallana on the bench, or Lallana starts, and Coutinho is on the bench etc.

But if you're not good enough to be better than one of the worst keepers we've had in recent memory, then you're not good enough to be at the club.  I know Jones has had some problems in his personal life but this isn't any time for sentimentality.  We need a new keeper in ASAP and a decent sub to challenge him.  No wonder Mignolet doesn't feel any pressure when his understudy is falling asleep on the bench during matches.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #304: Dec 03, 2014 10:28:50 am
      To be honest, this whole Mignolet fiasco almost reflects even more poorly on Jones than it does Mignolet.

I mean can you imagine any other team in the league who would still have Mignolet in the starting XI at this point?

The only reason Mignolet is still out on the pitch is because Jones is actually worse than Mignolet, mind-boggling as that may be.

They should both be off in January to be honest.  We're trying to build an improved squad, where whoever is on the bench is just about at the same level as the player in front of him in the lineup.  i.e., we're trying to avoid situations where there is a massive drop in quality from starter to sub, like last season from, say, Suarez to Aspas.  We're getting there slowly but surely; Coutinho starts, and has Lallana on the bench, or Lallana starts, and Coutinho is on the bench etc.

But if you're not good enough to be better than one of the worst keepers we've had in recent memory, then you're not good enough to be at the club.  I know Jones has had some problems in his personal life but this isn't any time for sentimentality.  We need a new keeper in ASAP and a decent sub to challenge him.  No wonder Mignolet doesn't feel any pressure when his understudy is falling asleep on the bench during matches.
      In general you're right mate but can anyone tell me who has seen enough of Brad Jones to judge he's worse than Simon, don't tell me Rodgers as his team selection is not in the world of average football fans to understand him.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #305: Dec 14, 2014 12:30:36 am
      Wake up Brad!  You're starting!
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #306: Dec 14, 2014 06:18:32 am
      Wake up Brad!  You're starting!

Think he remembers what position he plays?
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #307: Dec 14, 2014 07:46:01 am
      It's a day for hero's, step up Brad Jones!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #308: Dec 14, 2014 09:05:40 am
      now that Schwarzer retired from the Aussie national team, does Jones start for Australia?

or does that lad from Dortmund start for them?

or someone else?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #309: Dec 14, 2014 09:17:39 am
      now that Schwarzer retired from the Aussie national team, does Jones start for Australia?

or someone else?

fu**ed if I know, I only watch Liverpool!

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #310: Dec 14, 2014 09:22:15 am
      fu**ed if I know, I only watch Liverpool!

That's not true, you watch the Australian beach volleyball team too!  >:D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #311: Dec 14, 2014 09:55:27 am

And he has the restraining order to prove it.  ;)
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #312: Dec 14, 2014 09:59:37 am
      And he has the restraining order to prove it.  ;)
      And that's just the men's team  :f_whistle:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #313: Dec 14, 2014 10:45:11 am

Come on OR get your facts right, it's the Aussie Womens 10 pin bowling team, love watching those chicks rub the balls down!

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #314: Dec 14, 2014 11:27:57 am
      Pity that we cannot play them both at the same time. Although that would mean they would F**k things up, in double quick time.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #315: Dec 14, 2014 11:40:17 am
      If we DO play Jones I hope we give the fella every chance by not over-burdening him with complications. Under any sort of pressure whatsoever when catching, punch it out. Under any sort of pressure when we have it on the ground, launch it. His job it to be very vocal, save it and clear it. No p!ssing around and draining confidence.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #316: Dec 14, 2014 11:43:11 am

In fairness to AR - we all watch them with sound turned down........don't we?
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #317: Dec 14, 2014 12:30:53 pm

or someone else?

Neither of them do.

Jones has not been picked for a while (18-24 months).

Langerak is second fiddle to Club Brugge's Matthew Ryan.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #318: Dec 14, 2014 12:42:06 pm
      Neither of them do.

Jones has not been picked for a while (18-24 months).

Langerak is second fiddle to Club Brugge's Matthew Ryan.

Yeh Ryan starts. Jones is 3rd choice I think.

Good luck Brad (Y)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #319: Dec 14, 2014 03:57:39 pm
      Nothing he could have done about the 3 goals conceded, didn't make a mistake as well? I actually think his distribution is better than Migs. I would keep him in goal.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #320: Dec 14, 2014 03:59:20 pm
      Jones didn't do anything wrong today. He also didn't do much good because he had very little to do in general.

Needs to stop diving the wrong way though.

EDIT: Just heard Brendan say he's keeping in goal for the next game.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #321: Dec 14, 2014 04:07:25 pm
      Poor positioning for their third, although I'd need to see it again as he might have slipped?

Overall thought he did fairly well. Coming into a low confidence side at Old Trafford? Not an easy ask.

Another way of looking at it - does anyone think Mignolet would have done better?

Quick Reply