Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Boardwalk Empire

Read 8006 times
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Re: Boardwalk Empire
      Reply #23: Jan 13, 2012 05:54:44 am
      Just got caught up on this BR.

Wow!

I had unfortunately already been spoiled regarding the big finale moment, but I didn't know it happened like that!

What a sequence of episodes that was towards the end of the season.  I've always liked this show but that is the first time I have ever been blown away by it.

As for where the show goes from here...I guess that depends on how close we are to Al Capone becoming the big dog.  Wouldn't they have to move from Atlantic City to Chicago for that though?
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #24: Jan 14, 2012 01:05:54 pm
      They would, Matt. I don't see it going that way, though, since this is really Buscemi's vehicle. And, besides, the boardwalks in Chicago are probably nothing like those in AC. ;)

Seriously, though, I don't think I could bear it if they get too involved in Margaret's life. She's better left as a side/parallel story kind of character. Owen's interesting enough, but doing the Irish/IRA thing seems a bit trite & obvious. Of course, Nucky has to find out about those two eventually.

I love the NY guys - Rothstein, Luciano, Linsky - but, again, it's not NYC's story. I'd watch a spin-off of them!

Manny Horvitz is one of the more awesomely frightening characters in TV history (imo) and there'll be more of him, I think.

What happens to Richard Harrow? I'd love to see him go a bit vigilante. They haven't exploited his sniper past enough for my liking.

And are we really gonna watch Van Alden's shift from East Coast churchie to Midwest churchie? Not very exciting. However, watching him living on the run could be kind of fun, I suppose.

I tell you what. I'm gonna miss Jimmy. In retrospect, he was one of my favorite characters.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #25: Jan 14, 2012 02:25:01 pm
      Just change the name to 'Empire' and that will solve the boardwalk problem. ;)

Na, seriously, I don't really expect them to move out of Atlantic City but I can still see them spending a lot of time on Capone in Chicago.  And I would love to see more of the NYC guys.  Rothstein is probably my favourite character on the show...and Luciano and Linsky make a good double team.

I do agree with you on Manny Horvitz, that dude gave me the chills.  I was silently urging Jimmy to just leave him alone because there was only going to be one outcome there. 

And Harrow is definitely going to go on some sort of killing rampage.  He'll be lost without Jimmy.

Didn't Van Alden end up in Cicero?  Perhaps they'll incorporate him into Al Capone's storyline.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,438 posts | 1463 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #26: Jan 16, 2012 08:26:13 pm

And Harrow is definitely going to go on some sort of killing rampage.  He'll be lost without Jimmy.

Hope so, would love for him to put his rifle to good use :D
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #27: Jan 16, 2012 09:16:35 pm
      I love this show, its right up there with Fringe as the best thing on tv i watch right now.

Second series was boss, started to get proper gory as well.

Cant wait for the 3rd series, anyone any idea when it starts in the states?
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #28: Oct 31, 2012 12:03:20 am
      Struggled to get into the 1st season, got 2 episodes left on the 2nd season and its fkin awesome.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #29: Oct 31, 2012 01:51:12 am
      Huge fan 3rd series isn't disappointing one bit.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #30: Nov 02, 2012 11:59:02 pm
      Huge fan 3rd series isn't disappointing one bit.

Enjoyed the first 2 series but was always waiting for it to ramp up a gear or two and that's exactly what has happened this series. Nucky seems to have had a bit of a personality transplant since series 2 and has turned into a downright nasty fu**er! Love Gyp Rosetti (absolutely cracked up when he nearly got choked to death in the loast episode) and the fact we're seeing more of New York. Can't wait to see Steve Graham's Capone come to the fore as he's one of my favourite actors. Also enjoying the historical angle and have done a bit of reading on pro-abition since wathcing this. It does amuse me how the bible belt effectively invented organised crime!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #31: Nov 04, 2012 07:26:04 pm
      Gyp Rosetti is a fantastic character and I hope they don't kill him off too soon as he has been a great addition to the show.

I haven't watched last night's yet but last week was great to see Rothstein lose his temper and have a proper go at Nucky as normally he is ice cold.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #32: Nov 06, 2012 04:05:19 am
      Awesome end to the last episode, Rosetti definitely making his mark ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #33: Nov 13, 2012 05:20:09 pm
      Another brilliant episode on Sunday and Rosetti's a F***ing loon, also getting some of the best lines at the minute.

Funniest psychotic character in any show at the moment.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #34: Nov 13, 2012 05:31:23 pm
      We watched it last night on planner, got a text off my mate saying all first and second series were on his anytime to download and indeed should he download them.

My reply in short told him if he wanted to watch one of my top three best of all time telly I'd seen get it done.

Needless to say he's on with it.

Love Richard Harrow character his statement last night when asked what he was going to do and his reply 'I will kill you' you just know he would have and not battered an eyelid.

Rosetti's a brilliant addition I agree.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #35: Nov 27, 2012 11:59:50 am
      Won't say much, but the 11th episode is one of the best yet. Some powerful scenes, not knowing what will happen, who may get killed off next!

Scene at the end sets up for a fantastic finale.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #36: Nov 27, 2012 03:48:24 pm
      So my mate who asked if he should download the first 2 series has nearly watched the lot already!

I think that speaks for the programme in itself, fortnight since he downloaded em and he's been away since last weekend! ;D

Like Luis Suarez I just can't get enough.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #37: Nov 30, 2012 12:24:52 am
      Gyp Rosetti is my favourite character in all of TV at present!

You can't just kill Gyp Rosetti Nucky!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #38: Nov 30, 2012 03:29:31 am
      Gyp Rosetti is my favourite character in all of TV at present!

You can't just kill Gyp Rosetti Nucky!

I reckon he's gonna get had off by Al!
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #39: Nov 30, 2012 07:14:00 am
      I reckon he's gonna get had off by Al!

Was thinking the same meself, there's gonna be firworks! Hopefully that won't come till the next series though coz Rosetti is the star of this season.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #40: Nov 30, 2012 08:37:29 pm
      Was thinking the same meself, there's gonna be firworks! Hopefully that won't come till the next series though coz Rosetti is the star of this season.

Spot on with that and still makes me laugh with that scene of him walking towards the beach with that General's hat on, F***ing brilliant!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #41: Nov 30, 2012 08:59:37 pm
      Spot on with that and still makes me laugh with that scene of him walking towards the beach with that General's hat on, f**king brilliant!!

The looks the other guys were giving him!

Great character.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #42: Dec 21, 2012 01:35:02 am
      Great ending to the season and I really enjoyed this one especially Gyp.

Was a bit gutted Jimmy was killed in the last season but Rosetti really made up for it and has been a great character.

A short stay but a memorable one.

Anyone else can't stand Gillian Darmody?
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #43: Dec 25, 2012 10:45:15 pm
      I somehow managed to miss recording the penultimate ending to the season. Was confused as hell because I went from the episode with Owen's head in the box straight to the full on sige at the begining of the finale so I need to catch up on the bits in between. Great season though, just gutted we don't get to see Rosetti next time around. am looking forward to Capone stepping it up though.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #44: Dec 25, 2012 11:21:13 pm
      Not having Sky, I haven't seen a single episode of this but know it would be right up my street and I'm also a fan of Steve Buschemi.
      Fortunately, I've received series one for Christmas  8)
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #45: Dec 28, 2012 08:44:26 am
      The last two episodes of S3 were some of the best TV I've ever seen, programme just keeps getting better and better.

Quick Reply