Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

Fenway plans for a new/redeveloped Anfield stadium?

Read 334735 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Fenway plans for a new/redeveloped Anfield stadium?
      Reply #1150: Feb 04, 2014 06:13:37 pm
      we're not doing too well on the money spent on players either. Very cost effective

ahhh, OK, I must have been dreaming when they bought Suarez, Sturridge, Carroll, Coutinho, Sakho and the rest.

Sorry, my mistake.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #1151: Feb 10, 2014 09:41:22 am
      Sat in my seat on Sat, in the centenary. Tried to imagine what the new stand would look like. I estimate the main stand now is about 22 metres high. The new one is rumoured to be about 40. It's gonna dwarf everything we have now. Just hope this happens soon.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1152: Feb 10, 2014 09:54:54 am
      By the time you've refurbished the whole stadium, isn't it a new stadium any way, like Trigger's broom!

Triggers New Broom, The Ship of Theseus

But it will always be Trigger's broom.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #1153: Feb 10, 2014 07:36:00 pm
      FSG's failure to invest in LFC in the short term could invalidate any long term aspiration.
      Once again to accumulate you have to speculate.
      Their ''long term'' mantra conveniently negates parting with their own dosh. 
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1154: Feb 11, 2014 05:12:52 pm
      FSG's failure to invest in LFC in the short term could invalidate any long term aspiration.
      Once again to accumulate you have to speculate.
      Their ''long term'' mantra conveniently negates parting with their own dosh.

You don't have to mate, it just makes things go quicker.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #1155: Feb 11, 2014 06:41:30 pm
      You don't have to mate, it just makes things go quicker.

Of course, as opposed to the limbo slow-step.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1156: Feb 11, 2014 07:32:54 pm
      Of course, as opposed to the limbo slow-step.

If it was my choice, I'd speculate, but to be fair they have always said they won't put their own money in (apart from the interest free loan of course).
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #1157: Feb 11, 2014 07:39:01 pm
      If it was my choice, I'd speculate, but to be fair they have always said they won't put their own money in (apart from the interest free loan of course).

As near to standing still as you're gonna get.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1158: Feb 11, 2014 07:44:30 pm
      As near to standing still as you're gonna get.

I know we see this differently mate, and I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

I also know you dislike the "long term" way they are proposing to do things.

The progress we've seen hasn't been as much as we'd like, but our first team when fully fit with everyone available is a match for anyone, and I didn't expect us to be where we are so quickly. (Thanks to BR)

I'm not blowing the trumpet for FSG here, but I took them at their word, and so far they've stuck to it. I can't realistically ask for more than that.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #1159: Feb 11, 2014 09:09:08 pm
      I know we see this differently mate, and I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

I also know you dislike the "long term" way they are proposing to do things.

The progress we've seen hasn't been as much as we'd like, but our first team when fully fit with everyone available is a match for anyone, and I didn't expect us to be where we are so quickly. (Thanks to BR)

It isn't a case of disliking a glib phrase which as time goes on fits that description, it is the reason that throwaway expression is used - to negate the need for investment in shorter time scale.
      As you say the team's success has been phenomenal under BR's guidance, the fact that he achieved what he has on a very modest budget makes his  accomplishment more impressive.   
      No matter how remarkable BR's coaching skills if he is not provided with the means to compete on an equal footing with our rivals who have tiers of skill throughout, paradoxically we would fail to compete over the longer term of a season - without a bit of luck with injuries which hopefully will be the case this term.

I'm not blowing the trumpet for FSG here, but I took them at their word, and so far they've stuck to it. I can't realistically ask for more than that.

They [or JWH to be precise] stated their aim was to return LFC to the pinnacles of success it had savoured in the past, his actions thus far do question that oath.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1160: Feb 12, 2014 11:40:38 am

They [or JWH to be precise] stated their aim was to return LFC to the pinnacles of success it had savoured in the past, his actions thus far do question that oath.

It depends entirely on how you look at it mate.
      If you accept that they have been true to their word about us not spending more than we make as a club, then there is no option but to also accept that it won't be done quickly.
      I don't particularly like having to wait and I suspect that the majority of supporters feel the same about long term goals.

However, a short term strategy is what got us into the mess in the first place, so I'm kind of caught between 2 stools.

I want success sooner rather than later, but I know this is not part of the FSG long term "vision" for the club.

When Shanks first came, he changed the way we played, trained, ate, thought and it was somewhat revolutionary in terms of on the field, and the foundations were laid for years and years of success. The perceived wisdom at the time was that he couldn't change things so radically, but he did.

Now I'm not saying FSG can even begin to compare to the great man, but there is one similarity in that FSG have come in and said "this is madness, there has to be a better way" when they saw how transfers worked and how clubs were constantly teetering on the edge of insolvency.
      IF they can pull it off it would mark a huge change in how clubs are run.
      The similarity is that Shanks changed forever how things are done on the field, FSG are trying to do the same thing with how things are done off the field.

I have my doubts as to whether they can pull this off and I also think they will have to modify their long term strategy at some point due to the vagaries of the transfer market and how volatile they can be, not to mention their highly incentivised wage structure, which I don't think can attract the top players.

I think they want the same things we do, but they see things differently because they are not emotionally involved, and that is the sticking point for us fans.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1161: Feb 13, 2014 04:40:39 pm
      When are we going to get updates on this? Like other fans here, I'll only believe stadium redevelopment when its finished.

It took Arsenal 6 years from finding a site on Ashburton Grove to opening the Emirates Stadium. It's taken us decades just to make a decision.

Man City building another tier each end ramping that up to 60,000 capacity.
      This is where we stand
      Fifth in capacity.

Arsenal

Emirates Stadium

Aston Villa

Villa Park

Cardiff City

Cardiff City Stadium

Chelsea

Stamford Bridge

Crystal Palace

Selhurst Park

Everton

Goodison Park

Fulham

Craven Cottage

Hull City

KC Stadium

Liverpool

Anfield

Manchester City

Etihad Stadium

Manchester United

Old Trafford

Newcastle United

St James' Park

Norwich City

Carrow Road

Southampton

St Mary's Stadium

Stoke City

Britannia Stadium

Sunderland

Stadium of Light

Swansea City

Liberty Stadium

Tottenham Hotspur

White Hart Lane

West Bromwich Albion

The Hawthorns

West Ham United

Upton Park

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #1162: Feb 13, 2014 09:56:37 pm
      Saw City going to 60,000 - which I dont really get... It will cost a fortune to do and they have an endless supply of money already - unless this is a way to impact FFP by adding 20,000 super expensive seats and then they sell them to themselfs each week to generate some revenue?!

However, we need to act on this in the next 12 months or we will surley begin to fall too far behind other teams.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1163: Feb 14, 2014 01:15:17 pm
      Can someone answer a few questions about City's ground.

I know it's a bit off topic but hey..

When they moved from Maine Rd to the City of Manchester Stadium*, they sold Maine Rd, and rented the CoMS* off the Council.

The Tax payer paid for that Stadium as it was, as we know the Stadium used for the Commonwealth Games.

So, have City paid for the CoMS, or as it is now called the Etihad Stadium, and if so how much, as it seems they have got a good deal either way.

Did they, City, pay for the open end of the stadium to be closed too.

Seems they have landed on their feet with this. Brand new stadium with no hassle of planning, or infrastructure development.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #1164: Feb 15, 2014 07:16:19 pm
      Can someone answer a few questions about City's ground.

I know it's a bit off topic but hey..

When they moved from Maine Rd to the City of Manchester Stadium*, they sold Maine Rd, and rented the CoMS* off the Council.

The Tax payer paid for that Stadium as it was, as we know the Stadium used for the Commonwealth Games.

So, have City paid for the CoMS, or as it is now called the Etihad Stadium, and if so how much, as it seems they have got a good deal either way.

Did they, City, pay for the open end of the stadium to be closed too.

Seems they have landed on their feet with this. Brand new stadium with no hassle of planning, or infrastructure development.
       Always puzzled the hell out of me that particular scam, the commonwealth games thing was public financed in other words from the public purse, then presented to citeh.
      How the F**k does that work.
      Some big time underhand/undisclosed/peculiar/extraordinary payment greased a few palms, but do we care? Do we F**k. We do it the hard the hard way, the right way.

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2014 07:35:05 pm by stuey »
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #1165: Feb 15, 2014 09:46:41 pm
      Red, that's why they bought the club!. If we had a ready made stadium they would have bought us. It was a no brainer expand there buisness and a bit of a toy. Plus with the obvious chance of expanding it makes sense. They're gonna go to sixty now. I can't imagine they had any loyalty to City before they bought it.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1166: Feb 16, 2014 02:50:38 pm
      Red, that's why they bought the club!. If we had a ready made stadium they would have bought us. It was a no brainer expand there buisness and a bit of a toy. Plus with the obvious chance of expanding it makes sense. They're gonna go to sixty now. I can't imagine they had any loyalty to City before they bought it.

Oh that is for sure. Thought that for years.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #1167: Mar 21, 2014 03:46:13 pm
      One of my closest friends is a CAD Engineer for a well respected contractor, not giving their name away as he's had to sign confidentiality papers (They have done a few other grounds inc the Etihad)

Anyway he messaged me last night... Bare in mind he's a bluenose.... 

"I saw the initial tender release of your main stand proposals today.  Looks like Newcastle Main, with Allianz type roof, and a United style tunnel under...  Huge steps in front and Liver Birds emblazoned panels at the side.  Looks VERY good pal, F***ing massive like.  This is a Stage C Tender doc, stage E is final design...  Would expect if we're at tender now, possibly 2 years until appointment....  1 year design and complete - don't quote me though"
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1168: Mar 31, 2014 05:03:19 pm
      I think it's disappointing we're still waiting on tangible progress on this issue

Reading that Citeh are all set to begin 1st stage redevelopment of the Etihad, with scheduled completion 2015.
      I understand there are other things at play but Fenway have been here for 3.5 years, just feels as if there is little urgency which is amazing given the size of the waiting list for season tickets at Anfield
      LFCexiled
      Reply #1169: Mar 31, 2014 05:26:20 pm

"I saw the initial tender release of your main stand proposals today.  Looks like Newcastle Main, with Allianz type roof, and a United style tunnel under...  Huge steps in front and Liver Birds emblazoned panels at the side.  Looks VERY good pal, F***ing massive like.  This is a Stage C Tender doc, stage E is final design...  Would expect if we're at tender now, possibly 2 years until appointment....  1 year design and complete - don't quote me though"

So these combined? Looks like it'll be awesome....

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,225 posts | 6351 
      Reply #1170: Mar 31, 2014 05:29:03 pm
      I think it's disappointing we're still waiting on tangible progress on this issue

Reading that Citeh are all set to begin 1st stage redevelopment of the Etihad, with scheduled completion 2015.
      I understand there are other things at play but Fenway have been here for 3.5 years, just feels as if there is little urgency which is amazing given the size of the waiting list for season tickets at Anfield

So what do you want them to do, burn down the houses that need to be acquired or go through the legal channels to acquire them? One would definitely show intent and could be done in short order....the other would be.....er....legal.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1171: Mar 31, 2014 05:59:29 pm
      So what do you want them to do, burn down the houses that need to be acquired or go through the legal channels to acquire them? One would definitely show intent and could be done in short order....the other would be.....er....legal.

Does one take 4 years?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,225 posts | 6351 
      Reply #1172: Mar 31, 2014 06:05:48 pm

It's taken much longer than that hasn't it? It's not like this a new problem that just popped up when FSG took over?

Quick Reply