Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Fenway plans for a new/redeveloped Anfield stadium?

Read 334722 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Possibily No New Stadium-SSN
      Reply #23: Oct 06, 2010 12:18:43 pm
      just shows they dont have the money we need,so much for finding the right buyer to build new stadium and all that sh*t they said
      It doesn't show that at all. It makes perfect sense to consider redevelopment because if they can raise capacity without forking out for a brand new stadium, that would leave more money to be spent elsewhere. Nobody has said they will redevelop.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #24: Oct 06, 2010 12:22:11 pm
      If you read up about what they did with the Red Sox (everybody wanted a new stadium) but they sent 100m on redevelopment instead.

Like most I'd love to stay at Anfield and if the council could agree to that then they should
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #25: Oct 06, 2010 12:22:20 pm
      It doesn't show that at all. It makes perfect sense to consider redevelopment because if they can raise capacity without forking out for a brand new stadium, that would leave more money to be spent elsewhere. Nobody has said they will redevelop.

If it was genuinely workable then I'd be happy to stay at Anfield. The problem would arise if redevelopment was their only plan and they were doing it on the cheap. But given their history of both building and re-developing stadiums and also the fact that they took on board Red Sox fans opinions gives us hope they won't do a H&G.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #26: Oct 06, 2010 12:23:42 pm
      If you read up about what they did with the Red Sox (everybody wanted a new stadium) but they sent 100m on redevelopment instead.

Like most I'd love to stay at Anfiend and if the council could agree to that then they should

Thats just not true. Fenway is one of the oldest and most traditional grounds and there was opposition to moving. The Red Sox fans valued their history... they had to they went 86 years without glory.

« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2010 12:39:14 pm by KS67 »
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #27: Oct 06, 2010 12:38:27 pm
      I'm all for redeveloping Anfield - its our home, and I was really gutted we may be leaving!
      Yeah I'd love to see Anfield with 70000 seats.
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #28: Oct 06, 2010 12:44:01 pm
      Why do people suddenly think they will be given planning permission something they haven't been able to get in the past, they are talking of groundsharing  as well. I personally don't think the new owner has the required money for a new stadium
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #29: Oct 06, 2010 12:48:24 pm
      Id rather redevelop Anfield anyway. Id be afraid we'd end up with a US style bowl stadium if new plans had to be drawn up.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #30: Oct 06, 2010 12:49:08 pm
      Why do people suddenly think they will be given planning permission something they haven't been able to get in the past, they are talking of groundsharing  as well. I personally don't think the new owner has the required money for a new stadium

Show me one thing that mentions a groundshare?

corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #31: Oct 06, 2010 12:55:34 pm
      I've been watching Sky News all morning, a financial expert said they will defo consider this, Phil Thompson was asked about it as well.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #32: Oct 06, 2010 01:00:21 pm
      Groundshare would never happen. We wouldn't allow it.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #33: Oct 06, 2010 01:05:40 pm
      Some of the comments in here seem like they belong in the knee jerk reaction thread! The fact that they are looking into redeveloping Anfield the way it is does not in any way mean that they don't have the kind of money we require. I personally would rather redevelop the current stadium...little things like touching the "This is Anfield" sign in the tunnel would be lost forever if we moved whereas if it were possible to dramatically improve our current setup, we could hang on to all of this little bits of history that make our club as great as it is!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #34: Oct 06, 2010 01:16:08 pm
      Because I've seen it all before, the same promises all from owners from Americans who own American clubs also. I'll see it when I believe it.

We didn't revelop Anfield in the past because we couldn't get planning in the past and we are unlikely to get it now either.

Don't be too sure that was before all the club owned all the property on Anfield Road behind the Anny road stand and all the property on the road behind the Main Stand.

Redevelop Anfield gets a big yes from me.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #35: Oct 06, 2010 01:16:58 pm
      I've been watching Sky News all morning, a financial expert said they will defo consider this, Phil Thompson was asked about it as well.

Not that Prof Tom Cannon

If it is, ignore the c**t, a dirty bluenose b***ard is all he is!!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #36: Oct 06, 2010 01:18:48 pm
      REVEALED: The details behind the ‘winning’ bid for Liverpool (£240m cash, ‘wait and see’ on stadium)By Nick Harris

6 October 2010

Liverpool’s potential new owners, New England Sports Ventures, have proposed buying Liverpool in a £300m deal that will involve a cash injection of £240m to clear most of the club’s debt, sportingintelligence can reveal. This should alleviate some concerns among fans that the club is heading for another leveraged buyout.

As the sales process remains fluid – but complicated by legal action by Tom Hicks and George Gillett (more from earlier) – we can also reveal:

•New England Sports Ventures (NESV), owners of the Boston Red Sox, were the preferred bidders of RBS bank, which was owed a large chunk of £237m by Hicks / Gillett / Liverpool. The other “credible” bidder’s identity remains unconfirmed.

•The former Arsenal managing director, Keith Edelman, has been working on the deal as an advisor to RBS, but solely for his knowledge of football finance, and will have no role at Liverpool.

•NESV has promised £240m in cash to wipe out the majority of the monies owed to RBS and Wachovia. This is cash, not borrowed money, and therefore not to be leveraged against any Liverpool assets, sources say.

•Some £60m of debt will remain in the club (guaranteed by NESV), with approximately £40m of that earmarked for stadium redevelopment, and £20m for cashflow.

•The £240m debt clearance plus assuming responsibility for the other £60m gives the £300m valuation for the deal.

•NESV has “an open mind” on whether it will build a new stadium. The Red Sox’s Fenway Park was redeveloped rather than the Sox being relocated, for example.

•Executives from NESV have already had at least one “clearance” meeting with the Premier League to discuss meeting “fit and proper” owners requirements, say sources Stateside. The Premier League is expected to release a statement later today to make the general point it is undertaking its own checks.

•Sportingintelligence understands NESV has already provided the Premier League with proof of funds and a sustainable business plan and the League should be able to “green light” the sale from its own point of view by Friday.

Liverpool’s chairman Martin Broughton has said today: “This was frankly [Hicks and Gillett’s] last chance to leave Liverpool with their heads high and they have chosen to go this route.

“It is a difficult issue. Part of me taking on the role – and I was appointed by Tom and George – was that they gave a written undertaking that only I could change the board, they wrote that into the articles of the two companies Kop Football and Kop Holdings.

“They also gave a written undertaking to RBS that they would not frustrate any reasonable sale and this is frankly a flagrant abuse of those two written undertakings.”

“At Fenway they chose not to build a new stadium. They will want to make sure that they do the right thing, but [Liverpool] willl have a stadium which holds 60,000-odd.

“Whether that is the new stadium as designed or not, that is not a commitment, but will we have stadium development? Yes.”

The legal wrangle over whether the board should have been allowed to agree a sale goes on but Broughton is confident it is a battle that can be won.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2010/10/06/revealed-the-details-behind-the-%e2%80%98winning%e2%80%99-bid-for-liverpool-240m-cash-%e2%80%98wait-and-see%e2%80%99-on-stadium-061006/
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #37: Oct 06, 2010 01:24:37 pm
      I would be all for a redevloped Anfield but if it was that easy to getting planning permission and do Hicks and Gillette would have done it. Everything is very vague.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,071 posts | 2748 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #38: Oct 06, 2010 01:31:10 pm
      Yes a redeveloped Anfield holding 65/70 thousand would be the perfect option. I posted this in the New stadium thread and was informed by local lads that the council arent up for it so doesnt look like happpening unless the council can be convinced somehow
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #39: Oct 06, 2010 01:33:40 pm
      That is what I've been saying Brian, the council want Stanley Park redeveloped not a fu**ed chance they are going to give planning permission for a new Anfield. And then what where are they going to get money for a stadium or ya a bank.
      notorious1985
      • Forum Ian St John

• 442 posts | 27 
      Reply #40: Oct 06, 2010 01:35:00 pm
      Yes a redeveloped Anfield holding 65/70 thousand would be the perfect option. I posted this in the New stadium thread and was informed by local lads that the council arent up for it so doesnt look like happpening unless the council can be convinced somehow
      how about a few emails ;)
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #41: Oct 06, 2010 01:55:38 pm
      Obviously a new stadium or the re-development of Anfield needs to be the priority. More stadium capacity means more revenue, and by all accounts the main man behind the takeover is a bit canny at raising the profile of whatever team/club/franchise he's involved in so that can also only be a good thing.

Personally after a few hours reflection on the whole takeover I won't be hanging out the bunting just yet but I think squad investment needs to take a back seat to stadium development. Yes, bring in a couple of players in the January window but hold off on a Man City style overhaul for now (as if that was even possible anyways but you know what I mean) and concentrate on boosting club revenue.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #42: Oct 06, 2010 02:09:33 pm
      Direct quote from Martin Broughton regarding the stadium issue...

Substantial development

Broughton revealed NESV have not decided whether to continue previous plans to build a new stadium in Stanley Park, or to redevelop Anfield, but he insisted the new ownership intend to have a 60,000 capacity ground in place either way.

"They want to make sure they do the right thing on the stadium," said Broughton.

"They have built stadiums and they have restored stadiums. They have not committed to which is the right thing.

"We will have a stadium of more than 60,000. We will get substantial stadium development."

Source: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6431042,00.html
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #43: Oct 06, 2010 02:26:43 pm
      Direct quote from Martin Broughton regarding the stadium issue...

Substantial development

Broughton revealed NESV have not decided whether to continue previous plans to build a new stadium in Stanley Park, or to redevelop Anfield, but he insisted the new ownership intend to have a 60,000 capacity ground in place either way.

"They want to make sure they do the right thing on the stadium," said Broughton.

"They have built stadiums and they have restored stadiums. They have not committed to which is the right thing.

"We will have a stadium of more than 60,000. We will get substantial stadium development."

Source: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6431042,00.html

Broughton changes his tune very 30 seconds. He was saying a new ground was essential and all ready to build just a few weeks ago. I wonder why... Oh thats right he's a lying c**t like the others..
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #44: Oct 06, 2010 02:34:42 pm
      Broughton changes his tune very 30 seconds. He was saying a new ground was essential and all ready to build just a few weeks ago. I wonder why... Oh thats right he's a lying c**t like the others..

I'm all for opinions on a forum but you are just plain ignorant. You do not understand that the stadium that was designed was by H&G. NESV may believe it was a heap of sh*t and that the history and tradition at Anfield is something that needs to stay. I prefer a owner that comes in and weighs up his options rather than just build a stadium that was designed by those two cu*ts.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #45: Oct 06, 2010 02:43:01 pm

Someone lives on the negative end of a magnet don't they?

Quick Reply