Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2764774 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: New Owners of LFC
      Reply #14628: Aug 10, 2014 11:29:20 pm
      How can anyone expect a large net spend when we pocket £75m from one player ???

Invest all that money back into the squad plus the money already earmarked for transfers?

I'm realtively happy with the sumer so far and believe we have a stronger squad than last saeson overall but minus that extra bit of quality in the forward areas after Luis left and we not replacing him so far.

If we get the one or two quality forwards in plus another keeper then it will have been a very good summer indeed.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #14629: Aug 11, 2014 06:15:21 am

To me "World Class" is a term floated around far to loosely, and very very few teams have them as there are probably only a 1/2 dozen at best in the entire world.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #14630: Aug 11, 2014 06:24:36 am
      They didn't do much propelling the first few seasons, more backward steps were taken in fact (on the field,  not financially), but I'm happy to reserve judgement on this coming season until I see how things pan out.
      Call me paranoid,  but want to be sure.

Nothing paranoid whatever in hoping the owners change tack and throw some money at a squad stripped back over the years.
      The 75m Luis fee has been a help of course but hands in deeper pockets are needed to accommodate our CL status, the stripped back squad of course will be exaggerated by the demands of the new season and the higher expectation.
      Faulted economies have come back to bite FSG and unfortunately Liverpool FC on the arse.

Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #14631: Aug 11, 2014 09:34:51 am
      So in a nutshell - we have spent (in transfer fees), something like a net £4m (think I have read spend so far of £89m, less Suarez, Aspas, Reina & Cody  fees of 75,7,2.5+0.4m)

Extra wages - well given age of some of the players brought in, and the wages of Suarez and Reina going out, calling it an extra £200k /wk or £10m pa.

Still minimum of one player (Moreno) to come in - and probably a large wad of cash available for a top striker (of which, to be fair, there are not that many around at the very elite level)

Overall, a fairly decent window so far. But to repeat what others have said - a striker and backup keeper required.

Interesting that Diego Lopez has gone from Madrid to AC - and talk of Cech to Real persists.... maybe we could get Casillas ?...
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #14632: Aug 11, 2014 09:43:17 am
      How can anyone expect a large net spend when we pocket £75m from one player ???

Yes, those that otherwise know it as, 'spend for the sake of it' can expect it.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,417 posts | 3413 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #14633: Aug 11, 2014 09:58:59 am
      So in a nutshell - we have spent (in transfer fees), something like a net £4m (think I have read spend so far of £89m, less Suarez, Aspas, Reina & Cody  fees of 75,7,2.5+0.4m)

Extra wages - well given age of some of the players brought in, and the wages of Suarez and Reina going out, calling it an extra £200k /wk or £10m pa.

Still minimum of one player (Moreno) to come in - and probably a large wad of cash available for a top striker (of which, to be fair, there are not that many around at the very elite level)

Overall, a fairly decent window so far. But to repeat what others have said - a striker and backup keeper required.

Interesting that Diego Lopez has gone from Madrid to AC - and talk of Cech to Real persists.... maybe we could get Casillas ?...

think Casillas won't come to be number 2 plus the lack of games in the last year or so mean that to be honest he's a shadow of what he was
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #14634: Aug 11, 2014 12:06:06 pm

I'm not sure I've read anyone say this Beer.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #14635: Aug 11, 2014 05:21:48 pm

I doubt very much these people exist Beer,  not on this forum anyway.
      It's never been about a large net spend,  just quality players.
      The point is we badly need a quality striker, but our wage structure could be the thing preventing us from getting one.  If you want a top top striker that is going to fill the gap left by Luis,  I see no harm in paying the same wages as Suarez was on, if he can contribute nearly as much as Suarez did. The wage money can be deducted from the decent sized budget we should have.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #14636: Aug 11, 2014 05:52:25 pm
      why would anyone just want to spend money for the sake of it .I think what we are advocating is spend the money we have on making us even stronger than we where even with Luis. Surely that's every supporters wish.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #14637: Aug 11, 2014 08:22:08 pm
      why would anyone just want to spend money for the sake of it .I think what we are advocating is spend the money we have on making us even stronger than we where even with Luis. Surely that's every supporters wish.
      I'm a little confused, I thought this was a forum,  but it appears this is actually North Korea, where the actions of those running the place must never be questioned!!!
      Come on people we're all on the same team here,  but some of us are less trusting than others. I don't see the problem with wanting the owners to uphold their promise of reinvesting everything back into the club.  If they do that then there will be no questions to be asked and all will be good.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #14638: Aug 11, 2014 10:24:28 pm
      One thing I will say if we don't invest all our revenue into the squad we could quite easily be trimming the squad size back in the following season or two, lets not make the same mistake we made under H&G and fail to take advantage of the best premier league season we had in years.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #14639: Aug 11, 2014 10:37:01 pm
      Doubted them after the sacking of the King, they re appointed Kenny to the board, Kenny seems happy, they appoint a manger who I openly criticised & called a rookie, they put faith in him with the appointment, proved me wrong : D  let him down in a couple of transfer windows but they have started to re build Anfield, the team & they have given us greater exposure in the states.

Job well done so far & have no grumblings whatsoever with our custodians.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #14640: Aug 11, 2014 10:37:25 pm
      I'm a little confused, I thought this was a forum,  but it appears this is actually North Korea

Some old Commies on here that wouldn't mind that.  ;)

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14641: Aug 12, 2014 08:22:57 am
      Invest all that money back into the squad plus the money already earmarked for transfers?

I'm realtively happy with the sumer so far and believe we have a stronger squad than last saeson overall but minus that extra bit of quality in the forward areas after Luis left and we not replacing him so far.

If we get the one or two quality forwards in plus another keeper then it will have been a very good summer indeed.

Invest all of it? Why mate? We've bought everyone the club wants thus far (and Moreno possibly) and only spent the Suarez money. Net expenditure is just a fancy term that people use to measure dicks.

If we get everyone in we want it to be for as little as possible, and not to reach an expenditure ceiling just to appease fans we spent so much money.

I hope we spend as little as possible and not invest all of the disposable money we have, whilst getting all the players we want.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #14642: Aug 12, 2014 09:14:33 am
      Because some fans have the "it's not my money" mentality.  In fact it's not even John Henry's money.  It's the club's money. Crazy mentality but it's true. Everyone is different.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #14643: Aug 12, 2014 11:00:42 am

I've always been of the opinion that as much of the clubs income as possible should be spent on strengthening the team. It's what a football club exists for after all so I would like to see all of the Suarez sale money reinvested back into the playing squad plus any money already earmarked for transfers this summer.

Because some fans have the "it's not my money" mentality.  In fact it's not even John Henry's money.  It's the club's money. Crazy mentality but it's true. Everyone is different.

It is the clubs money ruth you are 100% correct there which is why I like to see as much of it as possible spent on players as again it's why the club exists in the first place.

I'm sure most football fans want the club to spend it's money on footballers.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #14644: Aug 12, 2014 11:07:21 am
      I've always been of the opinion that as much of the clubs income as possible should be spent on strengthening the team. It's what a football club exists for after all so I would like to see all of the Suarez sale money reinvested back into the playing squad plus any money already earmarked for transfers this summer.

It is the clubs money ruth you are 100% correct there which is why I like to see as much of it as possible spent on players as again it's why the club exists in the first place.

Does it have to all be spent now like a kid in a sweet shop, or is Rodgers allowed to put some aside if he so desires?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #14645: Aug 12, 2014 11:17:00 am
      Does it have to all be spent now like a kid in a sweet shop, or is Rodgers allowed to put some aside if he so desires?

Of course it all doesn't have to be spent now but if the manager feels he needs then it should be available.

It's down to the boss for me Beer and I'd guess that he would like someone to 'replace' Luis now rather than have to wait until January.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #14646: Aug 12, 2014 11:22:23 am
      Yes but you want to be able to pick up players when a good deal comes along. You will not have the ammunition to do so if your funds are fully loaded into into your squad.

yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #14647: Aug 12, 2014 11:27:17 am
      They've done a superb job considering where we were when they took over. Shrewd appointment in Rodgers but also helped to assemble a very young and talented squad. A decent alternative to Remy, and Moreno and I am sure most people would be delighted.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #14648: Aug 12, 2014 11:37:02 am
      Yes but you want to be able to pick up players when a good deal comes along. You will not have the ammunition to do so if your funds are fully loaded into into your squad.

Indeed but all the money should be available to the manager to strengthen the squad when he feels he needs it.

I was just responding to Crouchy when he asked if I thought all of the money earned should be reinvested in the playing squad and I think it should no matter when that time is be it now or at a later date.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #14649: Aug 12, 2014 11:43:34 am
      Of course it all doesn't have to be spent now but if the manager feels he needs then it should be available.

It's down to the boss for me Beer and I'd guess that he would like someone to 'replace' Luis now rather than have to wait until January.

Same for me srslfc.

And it seems Rodgers is looking to add more "depth".

"We would still like to do some business," the boss explained to Liverpoolfc.com following the win at Anfield at the weekend.

"But I'm certainly happy with where we're at with the squad at the moment. We've still got players to come back from injury.

"Across the board we still want to add a little bit more depth to what we have. We hope to do some more business."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/168677-brendan-i-m-looking-for-further-depth

AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #14650: Aug 12, 2014 12:38:38 pm
      Ever since they took over, they've been playing us. And its starting to look like this transfer window will be no different.
      I reckon an "open letter to the fans" lies on John W**ker Henry's desk, just waiting to be signed.

Its all about internal rate of return. Even without taking a dividend, there are methods of extracting profits. Which in this case, mean a club that doesn't even MAINTAIN its squad against depreciation of value.

Too many fans won't admit it to themsleves even. Because they can't face it.

And thats why it continues. In Spain and Germany there'd be outright mutiny. In England its  a curtsey and "why thankyou Mr Henry Sir".
      Ultimately fans get the club/"brand" they deserve.

Very sad. PS Don't bother replying if you're a stars and stripes waving Boston superfan. This is as much the "Liverpool Way" as David Beckham or Wycombe Wanderers.

Quick Reply