Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2646396 times
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: New Owners of LFC
      Reply #15111: Oct 22, 2014 11:31:18 pm
      Not sure why this thread has even been bumped?

Perhaps it should be because on the second occasion of them allowing the spending of £100M+ on players it's been wasted? Again.

Perhaps because the next time he gets pilloried on Twitter or Facebook for not opening his wallet it allows JH to throw the fact in our faces (the fans) that spending big doesn't guarantee success and that his long term vision and being frugal is the way forward afteralll?
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #15112: Oct 22, 2014 11:39:54 pm
      Perhaps it should be because on the second occasion of them allowing the spending of £100M+ on players it's been wasted? Again.

Perhaps because the next time he gets pilloried on Twitter or Facebook for not opening his wallet it allows JH to throw the fact in our faces (the fans) that spending big doesn't guarantee success and that his long term vision and being frugal is the way forward afteralll?

It's the way the money is spent,  again quantity more than quality,  and only sign players with small wages!  Mario and Lambert are not proper replacements for suarez.
      There were world class players available, but there's no profit to be made in selling them on! 
      Being frugal Is the way forward alright,  but for JWH's bank balance,  not Liverpool's on field success.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #15113: Oct 22, 2014 11:42:47 pm

Personally I prefer the idea of clinging on to your best players ... then you don't waste the money buying second rate players to replace them. Then when you are forced to accept you can no longer hold on to a player ... accept the fact that there is a reason that they are worth so much money and try to bring in someone of equal or similar quality rather than a "half price " bargain.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #15114: Oct 22, 2014 11:46:59 pm

Perhaps because the next time he gets pilloried on Twitter or Facebook for not opening his wallet it allows JH to throw the fact in our faces (the fans) that spending big doesn't guarantee success and that his long term vision and being frugal is the way forward after all?

I actually think bringing this thread back up is a bit of a knee jerk reaction from everyone after losing to a much better team tonight and people are looking for someone to blame. We are nowhere near the level that Madrid are at currently. We have a lot of work to do.

I partly agree on the signings POV and I would have preferred to splash out on a world class "marquee signing"; but it wasn't to be. We'll have to make do for now.

We are only 8 games into the season and sitting in 5th. I think we all know we are just aiming for top four this season due to the amount of games we will have to play. 5th isn't such a bad place to be with how we've been playing. I do expect us to get better over the next month or so though.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15115: Oct 23, 2014 12:45:40 am

Perhaps it should be because on the second occasion of them allowing the spending of £100M+ on players it's been wasted?
      Again.

This.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #15116: Oct 23, 2014 01:23:29 am

Last time we spent £100m we got over £150m back

Only time will tell what we'll get back this time but so far it looks like we'll be struggling to break even.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #15117: Oct 23, 2014 09:02:38 am

One of the clubs yesterday charge  £177 for their cheapest season ticket.

The other club yesterday charge £725 for their CHEAPEST season ticket.

One of the clubs have SOLD virtually a team full of world class players in recent years.
      The other club BUY the best players in the World, for £70m, even £80m a time.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jan/17/football-ticket-prices-premier-league-europe

Now I don't think you need to be lovechild  of Miss Marple and Hercule Sodding Poirot to work out something shitty is going on.  :roll:

CLICK!! YOU'RE BACK IN A TRANCE.

AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #15118: Oct 23, 2014 09:06:03 am
      Last time we spent £100m we got over £150m back

Only time will tell what we'll get back this time but so far it looks like we'll be struggling to break even.

Nando was bought for 21m? Sold for 50m.  35m + 24m was spent on Carroll and Luis. And they got back 17m? + 75m.
      Bearing in mind the Yanksters only paid down around 20% of the club's purchase price, thats  a BIG profit the buggers made.
      PLUS factor in the MASSIVE wage cuts. And its clear to see why we are so crap on the pitch.
      Another golden goose lies dead on Walton Breck Rd. Killed the Rafa team, killed the Rodgers team.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15119: Oct 28, 2014 09:09:06 am
      Five days without any posting on FSG.

Must admit they are very quiet.   Keeping a watchful eye ?

Problem is we need a striker moy urgento in January. 
      No way will we get the CL next May if we dont buy.

Are they going to trust the " Committee " or Brendan with MORE money ?
      (Think Comolli.   Think Kenny.)

Once burnt twice shy.
      Twice burnt ............  ?!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #15120: Oct 28, 2014 09:29:52 am

Once burnt twice shy.

From their perspective I probably wouldn't. There are a few players who haven't been given the chance that Balotelli keeps on getting so I'd want to see them play first.

From a fan's perspective we really need to buy a consistent goal scorer.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #15121: Oct 28, 2014 01:42:02 pm

Problem is we need a striker moy urgento in January. 
      No way will we get the CL next May if we dont buy.

Once burnt twice shy.

They were very quiet last year. When we narrowly missed out on the title.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #15122: Oct 28, 2014 01:43:48 pm
      Nothing's changed under these

We will be a stable, safe club

But we won't compete to win the main prizes in the game
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #15123: Oct 28, 2014 02:13:02 pm
      Nothing's changed under these

We will be a stable, safe club

But we won't compete to win the main prizes in the game

Didn't we compete for the league last year though mate?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #15124: Oct 28, 2014 02:25:18 pm
      Didn't we compete for the league last year though mate?

With the common thought process that the main catalyst to the push and the man that added the real edge to the side, the one true world class star [who was stumbled across] has been sold and not replaced [due to the philosophy ] and that hasn't been built upon..
      We won't regularly compete for the top prizes under these as owners.
      We had a great chance to push on [not taken]

I've said all along that we will never win the league under these, admittedly it came close to being wrong last year [within a perfect storm ]But I stick with it, with modern day football how it is, fenway's method won't have us win major prizes.

I'd happily place any bet on that

That doesn't mean I'm depressive about it, doesn't mean I won't continue to support my team, my players and my manager, it's just my honest opinion and one I've come to accept.
      I'll still enjoy it though, it's a hobby and a pastime at the end of the day that I love
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #15125: Oct 28, 2014 02:53:01 pm
      We will not experience anything similar to the halcyon days of glory and success once taken for granted by LFC, under our present owners.
      The apparent waffle about ''success over the long term'' and ''opting for potential'' was not considered as such by the majority, the occasional visit to Anfield with the very fit Linda by JWH kept the cynics at bay.
      Last season's very fortunate near miss did quieten the wolves as the expectation of more meat on the bone presented itself, the opportunity was not taken to beef up the side and we are witnessing the payback right now.
      The anonymous transfer policy demands scapegoats with the manager and assorted players in the firing line, seemingly the waffle spoken of had it's uses. 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #15126: Oct 28, 2014 03:00:49 pm

Once burnt twice shy.
      Twice burnt ............is as near to a torching as you're gonna get  ?!

Sorted that mate.   ;)

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #15127: Oct 28, 2014 03:46:37 pm
      We are going to be close on occasions to success but never quite get there because they will not take a gamble on a player financially.They want to buy players keep them for a few years and sell them on at a profit they basically want football on the cheap.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15128: Oct 28, 2014 05:17:35 pm
      We are going to be close on occasions to success but never quite get there because they will not take a gamble on a player financially.They want to buy players keep them for a few years and sell them on at a profit they basically want football on the cheap.

Thats why they hired a rookie manager with stars in his eyes .

(The one who has his 20 year career at Anfield sorted out before taking over at Real Madrid.)

Peanuts and Monkeys come to mind. 
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #15129: Oct 28, 2014 09:03:32 pm
      football on the cheap, but they gave Brendan almost 200 mil to spend since he is our manager, it isn't their fault he decided to sign a ton of average players instead of 2-3 quality ones
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #15130: Oct 28, 2014 10:29:05 pm
      football on the cheap, but they gave Brendan almost 200 mil to spend since he is our manager, it isn't their fault he decided to sign a ton of average players instead of 2-3 quality ones
      It's not about the 200 mil that's just the problem it's the limits set on wages and transfer policies . If they gave Rodgers lets say 40 mil to buy a striker in January i'm sure he'll find plenty of clubs that will sell a good one but the question is will he move to Anfield for the low ball wages on offer . I think not .

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #15131: Oct 28, 2014 11:01:56 pm
      Its clear to me Brendan has strict guidelines when signing players. Must have a sell on price and over a certain price must be under 25 so no chance of buying and established world class player of 27 or 28.It just isn't going to happen
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15132: Oct 28, 2014 11:06:07 pm
      No one has bit.

I must be losing my touch ...  ;)

;D
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #15133: Oct 28, 2014 11:08:27 pm
      Its clear to me Brendan has strict guidelines when signing players. Must have a sell on price and over a certain price must be under 25 so no chance of buying and established world class player of 27 or 28.It just isn't going to happen

Right. Let me try out this model on FM. I think I'm going to make hell lot of money gunning for top four and trading players. My board is going to love me to bits.

Quick Reply