Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2763118 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,238 posts | 4925 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: New Owners of LFC
      Reply #15134: Oct 28, 2014 11:09:32 pm
      Its clear to me Brendan has strict guidelines when signing players.

He does.

So maybe he deserves a little more slack when judging his signings?

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #15135: Oct 28, 2014 11:12:05 pm
      No one has bit.

I must be losing my touch ...  ;)

;D

I'm actually shocked :)

He does.

Well the argument can become quite circular because he's clearly complicit with those restrictions.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,238 posts | 4925 
      Reply #15136: Oct 28, 2014 11:16:10 pm
      Well the argument can become quite circular because he's clearly complicit with those restrictions.

Possibly Luke although it's more likely he was told of them before he took the job and was happy to play ball.

I've always thought Brendan was a perfect fit for FSG as he had a history of working with young players and it's how he likes to work and he was always unlikely to rock the boat in regards to wanting the big name, big money players.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #15137: Oct 28, 2014 11:19:15 pm
      Possibly Luke although it's more likely he was told of them before he took the job and was happy to play ball.

I've always thought Brendan was a perfect fot for FSG as he had a history of working with young players and it's how he likes to work and he was always unlikely to rock the boat in regards to wanting the big name, big money players.

I must be drunk, I thought that's what I said  ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,238 posts | 4925 
      Reply #15138: Oct 28, 2014 11:22:12 pm
      I must be drunk, I thought that's what I said  ;D

Probably mate as I'm shattered. ;D

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #15139: Oct 28, 2014 11:24:25 pm
      FSG taking the 'Liverpool way' to ninjaness :D with their stealth voices.

Have they said anything this season about the cloob,fans or performances?.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #15140: Oct 28, 2014 11:25:58 pm

I've listened to too many Darren Farley impressions of Rafa, definitely read that in his voice.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #15141: Oct 28, 2014 11:26:58 pm
      I've listened to too many Darren Farley impressions of Rafa, definitely read that in his voice.

Same here Luke  ;D
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #15142: Oct 28, 2014 11:35:46 pm
      The one who has his 20 year career at Anfield sorted out before taking over at Real Madrid.)
      Please no , not 20 yrs what did we do to deserve this .

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #15143: Oct 29, 2014 12:04:32 pm
      He does.

well he could always grow a pair because otherwise he is complicit .In saying I understand he has restrictions that doesn't give him a get out of jail free card. He has clearly bought into the FSG way of doing things.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #15144: Oct 29, 2014 12:29:11 pm
      well he could always grow a pair because otherwise he is complicit .In saying I understand he has restrictions that doesn't give him a get out of jail free card. He has clearly bought into the FSG way of doing things.

So I presume Walt that in your working life when a boss of the company you work for has asked you to do things a certain way you tell them to F**k off, I'll be doing that my own way and I'll go to every public way I can to tell everyone I think the way you do things is sh*te?

Bet they got used to you at the job centre with how often you went back to see them lad
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #15145: Oct 29, 2014 12:50:52 pm
      It was interesting for Rodgers to say "some of our rivals have 3x our budget". And also interesting to hear Gary tw*t Neville and the co commentator suggest Fenway not Rodgers ushered Luis towards the door.

I wonder if Rodgers could get a little more vocal if his job came under threat? Personally, I doubt he will. He just seems to be the modern career manager, working for his "employers" not the fans. The absolute antithesis of Rafa, Shankly etc to be honest.

I won't call for his head, because I'm sure its Fenway guiding the transfer approach not him. But nonetheless, I'd much rather see our manager identifying as "one of us", not "one of them".
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #15146: Oct 29, 2014 12:58:42 pm
      It was interesting for Rodgers to say "some of our rivals have 3x our budget". And also interesting to hear Gary tw*t Neville and the co commentator suggest Fenway not Rodgers ushered Luis towards the door.

I wonder if Rodgers could get a little more vocal if his job came under threat? Personally, I doubt he will. He just seems to be the modern career manager, working for his "employers" not the fans. The absolute antithesis of Rafa, Shankly etc to be honest.

I won't call for his head, because I'm sure its Fenway guiding the transfer approach not him. But nonetheless, I'd much rather see our manager identifying as "one of us", not "one of them".

I'm no fan of the owners but I'd imagine a key part of the offer for Rodgers [or any future manager] is that he works within their guidelines

My guess would be he is more likely to be sacked if he spoke out against the process than finished outside the top 4

Brendan has made mistakes [as do all managers] but I can't criticise him for working under guidelines set out to him. Any future manager [under Fenway] will be put under the same guidelines or won't be offered the job

So yes let's look at the managers transfer record at who he gets within our transfer structure, and let's look at how he coaches the players and the results he gets but to have a go for things that would be [job] suicide and not benefit the club simply doesn't make sense to me.

Everyone still brings Bill into these debates but it's null and void to the conversation as football has changed, we don't know how Bill would adapt in the modern world. And Rafa? I adore the man, but Fenway would never employ him, they simply wouldn't
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #15147: Oct 29, 2014 01:02:21 pm

Very uninteresting considering that you aren't even adding Suarez to the mix, the main agitator for a move. 

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,526 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #15148: Oct 29, 2014 01:06:18 pm
      FSG have a budget of course they do, we nearly went bust under the last mob ffs. people have short memories.

Some of the Suarez money is there to spend in January if needed Im sure.

But FSG are also expanding the stadium, something previous owners promised and never delivered.

So I for one am happy that they are miles better than the last lot, and so far better than the lot b4 them.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #15149: Oct 29, 2014 01:12:13 pm
      FSG have a budget of course they do, we nearly went bust under the last mob ffs. people have short memories.

Some of the Suarez money is there to spend in January if needed Im sure.

But FSG are also expanding the stadium, something previous owners promised and never delivered.

So I for one am happy that they are miles better than the last lot, and so far better than the lot b4 them.

Of course they have a budget, so they should, no issues with a 'budget' but they also have a transfer strategy of buy younger players who will [hopefully] develop and have sell on values down the line..
      Their budget and strategy won't and can't have us competing with the real top clubs.

Of course they are better than the last lot but come on that's not a comparison I'd want to brag about

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #15150: Oct 29, 2014 01:15:16 pm
      I think it's a fair accusation to label at Fenway that they take profit over success - but then that is principally the view of any overseas or unconnected owners.  They're not fans - we know that and as long as they don't pretend to be, which to their credit they haven't gone overboard with, then fair enough.

Most Premier League clubs are in the same boat - they are 20 money-making corporations, with a super loyal customer base that they can exploit far more than most other commercial industries can get away with without much fear of 'losing customers to rivals'.

Main success as defined by all of these clubs is avoiding relegation and staying in the Premier League.  Anything else, well that's okay.

My guess would be he is more likely to be sacked if he spoke out against the process than finished outside the top 4

Agree.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,526 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #15151: Oct 29, 2014 01:30:17 pm
      Of course they have a budget, so they should, no issues with a 'budget' but they also have a transfer strategy of buy younger players who will [hopefully] develop and have sell on values down the line..
      Their budget and strategy won't and can't have us competing with the real top clubs.

Of course they are better than the last lot but come on that's not a comparison I'd want to brag about

Fair doos, but I think they are doing it to get success as well as run the business sensibly.

I see some with the negative attitute that they are in it to fill thier pockets, from what Ive seen and listened to from them, I think they genuainly want success but don't want to screw the club by over spending in the process.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #15152: Oct 29, 2014 01:40:41 pm
      Fair doos, but I think they are doing it to get success as well as run the business sensibly.

I see some with the negative attitute that they are in it to fill thier pockets, from what Ive seen and listened to from them, I think they genuainly want success but don't want to screw the club by over spending in the process.

Aye, that's what they want you to think..

I don't neccessarily think they are here to 'fill their pockets'.. Certainly not in the short term but I think making profit having stabilised the club is what they're after and "winning" comes way way down the list.

Unfortunately in modern football [and this isn't their fault] with the approach of the City's and Chelsea's of the modern world if your approach is to be a well run business then that's all you will be [look at Arsenal as well]

This model won't bring success, success being the old understanding of success [winning sh*t]
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #15153: Oct 29, 2014 01:42:06 pm
      i disagree with some of the comments here. i do think fsg have strict guidelines on wages and spending policy, but i don't think the driving factor is "buy them young, sell them for profit". i think it's much more about (here's the dreaded word) sustainability. people will give me the arsenal model as an example of how it's not doing them any good in their chances of winning the league, but what's the alternative? a billionnaire owner is the only other short term solution, which is not really an option for us.

The other option is to load the club with debt like united, which i don't like. FSG are not owners who have quillions like city or chavski.

however, where fsg aren't doing enough in my opinion is growing the commercial side of the business. our revenues in 2013 of £170m were way behind united (£320m), arsenal (£245M), City (£231m) and chelsea (£260M). that's where we get the money rolling in to spend on players. some of the revenue will come from success on the pitch, but we have the richest footballing history in the world, we need to tap into it in south america and more in asia.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #15154: Oct 29, 2014 02:05:11 pm
      ozi, I think as far as the commercial side goes, we have come on a fair bit under FSG.
      We were starting from a pretty low point, because that side of things had been neglected for years.
      Thanks to Parry, we were basically 20 years behind man u in terms of commercial success.
      Ayre apparently has lots of contacts in Asia, and has done a good job on the commercial side so far, but I think you're right and they need to step it up a gear.

For the owners, the profit will come when they sell us on, something which won't happen for a good few years.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #15155: Oct 29, 2014 02:12:58 pm
      Very uninteresting considering that you aren't even adding Suarez to the mix, the main agitator for a move. 

Suarez was indisputably the motivator in the whole process, the club had to ensure we were not turned over by Barca who were only to willing to turn Luis' F**k ups to their own advantage.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #15156: Oct 29, 2014 02:26:25 pm
      Five days without any posting on FSG.

Must admit they are very quiet.   Keeping a watchful eye ?

Problem is we need a striker moy urgento in January. 
      No way will we get the CL next May if we dont buy.

Are they going to trust the " Committee " or Brendan with MORE money ?
      (Think Comolli.   Think Kenny.)

Once burnt twice shy.
      Twice burnt ............  ?!

I wish people would stop going on about money. It's not about money. They've handed him plenty of it. It's the structure of that money's use that needs to change, not an increase in funding, i.e. budgeting for higher wages out of the transfer kitty as and where appropriate.

Quick Reply