Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2754670 times
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #20516: Feb 22, 2016 08:08:36 pm
      You guys are so spoiled, I have been once and sat in the upper annie. I would sit anywhere if I get a chance to go again, no complains.  :f_steam:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #20517: Feb 22, 2016 09:25:33 pm
      Be massively surprised then. Not my favourite seats, though I do like to be fairly high. I'd not be surprised if others had difficulty, as I know some have vision impairments, as noted by reading their posts in match day threads.  ;)

no its because your a bit of a stalker aren't you  ;)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #20518: Feb 22, 2016 09:26:22 pm
      Be massively surprised then. Not my favourite seats, though I do like to be fairly high. I'd not be surprised if others had difficulty, as I know some have vision impairments, as noted by reading their posts in match day threads.  ;)

reading your posts you probably need to come down a bit from your high
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20519: Feb 22, 2016 09:41:04 pm
      Rick Parry :-""We have to budget for getting through to the group stages, otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford to do what we do.

"If you budget for failure, you achieve it, so we budget for success."

Ian Ayre :- "You have to take a sort of pessimistic view of performance. You have to model not to play in Europe."
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #20520: Feb 23, 2016 02:44:49 pm
      Rick Parry :-""We have to budget for getting through to the group stages, otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford to do what we do.

Ian Ayre :- "You have to take a sort of pessimistic view of performance. You have to model not to play in Europe."

Ironically, they're both correct in a way.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6352 
      Reply #20521: Feb 23, 2016 02:47:37 pm

There's a line I use a lot in my line of work. "Plan for the worst, hope for the best".

It might not necessarily apply to running a football club, but it appears that Ayre has taken that approach. It will typically protect you from catastrophe, but it won't see you innovate and be a frontrunner. Because frontrunner's tend to get targeted and they tend to trip and fall at times.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20522: Feb 23, 2016 06:25:48 pm
      There's a line I use a lot in my line of work. "Plan for the worst, hope for the best".

It might not necessarily apply to running a football club, but it appears that Ayre has taken that approach. It will typically protect you from catastrophe, but it won't see you innovate and be a frontrunner. Because frontrunner's tend to get targeted and they tend to trip and fall at times.

Yep, I do think it typifies the difference that we have seen since FSG took over. The safe route rather than the more adventurous one. There have been quite a few occasions since they have taken us over when I thought that a reasonably small gamble might have reaped big dividends and I've been frustrated when they haven't taken it. (meaning transfer windows)

The one area that I think FSG have been extremely ambitious has been in managerial changes. Maybe it relates more to baseball in some way, or perhaps it's simply their advisers ? Certainly sacking Kenny and to an extent Brendan were ambitious gambles.  Yet time and again we have seen a half hearted approach when it comes to investments in the squad at vital times.

We seem now to aim for the minimum requirement rather than going all out for success. If you aim to win the league and fail, you may still get CL, you aim for CL and fail you get nothing.

Certainly for me the "dumbing down of expectations" hasn't helped the club other than balancing the books.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6352 
      Reply #20523: Feb 23, 2016 06:55:40 pm
      Yep, I do think it typifies the difference that we have seen since FSG took over. The safe route rather than the more adventurous one. There have been quite a few occasions since they have taken us over when I thought that a reasonably small gamble might have reaped big dividends and I've been frustrated when they haven't taken it. (meaning transfer windows)

The one area that I think FSG have been extremely ambitious has been in managerial changes. Maybe it relates more to baseball in some way, or perhaps it's simply their advisers ? Certainly sacking Kenny and to an extent Brendan were ambitious gambles.  Yet time and again we have seen a half hearted approach when it comes to investments in the squad at vital times.

We seem now to aim for the minimum requirement rather than going all out for success. If you aim to win the league and fail, you may still get CL, you aim for CL and fail you get nothing.

Certainly for me the "dumbing down of expectations" hasn't helped the club other than balancing the books.

Agree for the most part. They seem to think that the managerial changes trump player additions/subtractions, we can only hope that with Klopp that will turn out to be true.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4972 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #20524: Feb 24, 2016 12:31:55 pm
      "Aim for the sky,you'll reach the ceiling, reach for the ceiling you'll stay on the floor"

Some famous Scottish bloke quoted this once, heard he was a pretty good manager and motivator?

YNWA
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20525: Feb 24, 2016 04:13:21 pm
      "Aim for the sky,you'll reach the ceiling, reach for the ceiling you'll stay on the floor"

Some famous Scottish bloke quoted this once, heard he was a pretty good manager and motivator?

YNWA

Out of date now mate the new Ayre motto is "aim to fail... no disappointments that way"
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #20526: Feb 24, 2016 05:03:45 pm

YNWA

aye Billy. 
      Some Scottish bloke.
      He did alright .

;D
      Kopite78
      Reply #20527: Feb 24, 2016 07:20:04 pm

YNWA

Beautiful

Of course that was the spade is a spade days

Nowadays we go for more of the bollocks type approach

"We have the funds to compete with any team in the world"

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #20528: Feb 24, 2016 07:53:58 pm

Good post mate, I completely agree. The managerial changes have been quite balmy haven't they, they employed a legend, sacked a legend, employed a relative unknown and have now brought in a top coach with genuine pedigree. But as you say the investment in the squad at vital times I've. When we slots Suarez has been underwhelming and in contrast to some of the baldy decisions on managers.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #20529: Feb 25, 2016 12:06:42 am
      Much akin Mr Ayre to the fact your 'model' (see budget) as Chief Exec leads you to this.....

Upgraded from the Thai bride then!!

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20530: Feb 25, 2016 08:29:28 am
      Liverpool owners must give JĂźrgen Klopp ÂŁ200m to turn team into title contenders, says Alan Hansen

EXCLUSIVE: Anfield legend says manager must be allowed to overhaul under-achieving squad - with a goalkeeper and two centre-backs his priority - but warns there is no quick fix to the club's malaise and the owners may be wary considering the failure of some of their big-money signings

Alan Hansen believes Liverpool’s owners must invest £200m in the squad if Jürgen Klopp is to turn the team into title contenders.

The Liverpool legend believes his old club require major rebuilding under Klopp, but warned there is no ‘quick’ fix and fears Liverpool’s owners, Fenway Sports Group, could be reluctant to sanction more big spending given how much money has been wasted since they bought the club in 2010.

Liverpool are eighth in the table, nine points off the Champions League places, and Hansen believes a major overhaul, including at least five signings, is needed.

“These players are not going to win the league, so realistically they probably need five major signings,” Hansen said. “Jürgen Klopp will have taken the job already knowing who he wants to bring in. The owners have brought him in and now they need to back him, but the problem is the money.

“From what I understand Fenway Sports Group have told the manager it is not a bottomless pit. So the problem he might have is that the owners have invested so much already, will they be reluctant to do it again? They have spent a lot - £20m on Lazar Markovic, and then he was sent out on loan.

“You could say they need to spend £100m, but where does that get you in today’s market? If they are going to have a real go it needs to be more like £200m – but you can’t just snap your fingers and solve the problem.”

Liverpool’s defensive problems have hindered their progress all season, and Hansen, who won three European Cups and eight league titles during his 14 years at Anfield, said the club were suffering for their lack of quality centre-backs and the struggles of goalkeeper Simon Mignolet.

Hansen added: “The problem with Simon Mignolet is he’ll go on a good run and then a bad run, but the question is whether there is anyone out there who is better. Do you give him more time? If you look at someone like David De Gea, when he was first at Manchester United he was called the worst goalkeeper in the world. Now he’s being called the best in the world.

“The manager will have to be looking at two goalkeepers and a centre-back. But like with the goalkeeper situation I can’t think of too many decent centre-backs out there. You need a centre-back partnership to be successful and Liverpool have not had one for a number of years. I look at Wes Morgan and Robert Huth at Leicester and how successful they have been. That’s what Liverpool miss”

Hansen was talking to the Independent as he prepares to front the new Walkers Tear ‘n’ Share campaign (“My favourite flavour? Cheese and Onion - no contest.”), and as Liverpool prepare to face Manchester City in the League Cup final on Sunday.

When asked whether Klopp should stick with his policy of playing youngsters in the cup, Hansen said: “Are you kidding - there’s absolutely no chance he’ll go with the kids. It’s Manchester City in a major cup final. And Liverpool have won one trophy in eight years. He’ll not want to give them an inch. He’ll go with his strongest side.”
      http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-owners-must-give-JĂźrgen-klopp-200m-to-turn-team-into-title-contenders-says-alan-hansen-a6860761.html
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #20531: Feb 25, 2016 09:30:03 am
      Liverpool owners must give JĂźrgen Klopp ÂŁ200m to turn team into title contenders, says Alan Hansen

EXCLUSIVE: Anfield legend says manager must be allowed to overhaul under-achieving squad - with a goalkeeper and two centre-backs his priority - but warns there is no quick fix to the club's malaise and the owners may be wary considering the failure of some of their big-money signings

Alan Hansen believes Liverpool’s owners must invest £200m in the squad if Jürgen Klopp is to turn the team into title contenders.

The Liverpool legend believes his old club require major rebuilding under Klopp, but warned there is no ‘quick’ fix and fears Liverpool’s owners, Fenway Sports Group, could be reluctant to sanction more big spending given how much money has been wasted since they bought the club in 2010.

Liverpool are eighth in the table, nine points off the Champions League places, and Hansen believes a major overhaul, including at least five signings, is needed.

“These players are not going to win the league, so realistically they probably need five major signings,” Hansen said. “Jürgen Klopp will have taken the job already knowing who he wants to bring in. The owners have brought him in and now they need to back him, but the problem is the money.

“From what I understand Fenway Sports Group have told the manager it is not a bottomless pit. So the problem he might have is that the owners have invested so much already, will they be reluctant to do it again? They have spent a lot - £20m on Lazar Markovic, and then he was sent out on loan.

“You could say they need to spend £100m, but where does that get you in today’s market? If they are going to have a real go it needs to be more like £200m – but you can’t just snap your fingers and solve the problem.”

Liverpool’s defensive problems have hindered their progress all season, and Hansen, who won three European Cups and eight league titles during his 14 years at Anfield, said the club were suffering for their lack of quality centre-backs and the struggles of goalkeeper Simon Mignolet.

Hansen added: “The problem with Simon Mignolet is he’ll go on a good run and then a bad run, but the question is whether there is anyone out there who is better. Do you give him more time? If you look at someone like David De Gea, when he was first at Manchester United he was called the worst goalkeeper in the world. Now he’s being called the best in the world.

“The manager will have to be looking at two goalkeepers and a centre-back. But like with the goalkeeper situation I can’t think of too many decent centre-backs out there. You need a centre-back partnership to be successful and Liverpool have not had one for a number of years. I look at Wes Morgan and Robert Huth at Leicester and how successful they have been. That’s what Liverpool miss”

Hansen was talking to the Independent as he prepares to front the new Walkers Tear ‘n’ Share campaign (“My favourite flavour? Cheese and Onion - no contest.”), and as Liverpool prepare to face Manchester City in the League Cup final on Sunday.

When asked whether Klopp should stick with his policy of playing youngsters in the cup, Hansen said: “Are you kidding - there’s absolutely no chance he’ll go with the kids. It’s Manchester City in a major cup final. And Liverpool have won one trophy in eight years. He’ll not want to give them an inch. He’ll go with his strongest side.”
      http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-owners-must-give-JĂźrgen-klopp-200m-to-turn-team-into-title-contenders-says-alan-hansen-a6860761.html

I don't think we need to spend 200m on players to have a chance of success in any competition. We just have to scout properly, that's what has been missing for the past god knows how many seasons.

Even if Klopp was given such a crazy amount to spend, does Hansen really think Klopp is the type of manager that would want to do so? He's already said he won't pay more than what he thinks somebody is worth and that was shown with Teixeira who was valued at ÂŁ38m. 

Is Hansen seriously questioning if there is anybody better out there than Mignolet? :D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20532: Feb 25, 2016 10:11:37 am
      I don't think we need to spend 200m on players to have a chance of success in any competition. We just have to scout properly, that's what has been missing for the past god knows how many seasons.

Even if Klopp was given such a crazy amount to spend, does Hansen really think Klopp is the type of manager that would want to do so? He's already said he won't pay more than what he thinks somebody is worth and that was shown with Teixeira who was valued at ÂŁ38m. 

Is Hansen seriously questioning if there is anybody better out there than Mignolet? :D

I suppose it depends mate. Klopp has said he won't pay over the odds, but how much would he pay for Suarez, Pogba, Gotze,  etc etc without paying more than they are worth?

I am sure Hansen knows there are better goalkeepers out there, I think he is just pointing out that there is a chance that Mignolet may become much better (more consistent anyway) than he is as De Gea did. Can't say I agree but maybe Klopp does or perhaps he wouldn't have given him a 5 year contract.

I think you would struggle to buy 5 genuine world class players for ÂŁ200million. Especially with the money that's going to be floating about in the summer at the mancs , citeh and Chelsea. 

It's all immaterial anyway mate, we won't get anywhere near that figure. 

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #20533: Mar 01, 2016 05:41:10 pm
      FSG are committed to Liverpool FC 'long-term'

Chief executive Ayre says removal of ÂŁ69m of debt is another example of owners' continued support of the club

Ian Ayre says the Fenway Sports Group move in clearing £69m of debt from the club’s books is just another demonstration of their long term commitment to Anfield.

A £69m sum technically owed to FSG has been written off and converted into equity, today’s accounts reveal.

Said the Liverpool CEO: “It’s another great example of the commitment that the owners make to the club.

“It’s effectively writing off that debt for the club and putting us in a healthier position.

“They have continued to do that throughout as everybody has seen and at the same time as doing that they have put forward the first instalment, almost £50m, of additional money in for the first phase of the stadium.

“It just continues to show their commitment, making those two gestures and at the same time reinvesting all of the profit from the sale of Luis Suarez.

“It just tells you the type of commitment they have and it is very much a long term commitment.

“We see heading towards us now the arrival of this new main stand at Anfield and I think that lends itself very well to the future of the club and how long term these owners look at the club.

“That’s something that will be there forever for this football club and I like to think they will be around for a long time as well.

Fenway’s top trio were at Wembley on Sunday to see the Reds lose heartbreaking on penalties to Manchester City.

Said Ayre: “They have been to Wembley before but they certainly said for a final it was fantastic.

“I spoke to Mike Gordon on Monday afternoon and he was like everyone, disappointed at the ultimate loss but he really enjoyed the occasion and felt it was one of those things that you will always remember.

“Going to Wembley is special for anyone whether you are from Liverpool or Boston or anywhere else.

“The whole experience of the day was fantastic and the owners enjoyed it as much as anyone else.”

Ambitions remain as high as ever at Anfield

Ayre also stressed that everyone at Liverpool remains committed to winning trophies and competing at the very highest levels - including a return to the Champions League stage, which Liverpool are struggling to make this season under new boss JĂźrgen Klopp.

Said Ayre: “We said when this ownership group came in that we wanted to win and keep winning and moving forward and that means everywhere in the club.

“And we are making that progress. We have a great manager now and we are making progress there as well.

“Nothing ever changes in terms of our ambitions. We always want to be playing Champions League football and that’s always our ambition. I have never known a year when it wasn’t our ambition at this club. It’s not always a reality but as an ambition it is always up there.

“And whether you speak to current manager or former managers it is always their ambition as well so you don’t have to create that pressure or expectation on a manager.

“Because a manager who is the manager of Liverpool Football Club, whether it is Jürgen or Brendan or Kenny or whoever, they always have the same view.

“Jürgen has played in the Champions League before and I know for certain he wants to play in it again. Everybody is focused on the same goal.

“As to the financial value of it, as we said, we are trying to compete with the best teams in the Premier League and the best teams in Europe and in order to do that you want to have the best opportunity to buy the best players. Sometimes that means you have got to invest a lot of money and sometimes it doesn’t.

“It is why in the round we are focused on our entire business, because if you just focus on the importance of Champions League revenue, then you might fall behind in other areas.

If we do the best we can in all areas then in some years we might lose out on Champions League revenue but we might gain in other areas like commercial or what have you.

“But the important thing is to be ambitious and be committed and keep investing and all of those things are happening and for that reason I think we are on the right track.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fsg-committed-liverpool-fc-long-10973745

Not too sure how this works, massaging the figures springs to mind.

Probably for the FFP rules which is powerless anyway.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20534: Mar 01, 2016 05:49:34 pm
      FSG are committed to Liverpool FC 'long-term'

Chief executive Ayre says removal of ÂŁ69m of debt is another example of owners' continued support of the club

Ian Ayre says the Fenway Sports Group move in clearing £69m of debt from the club’s books is just another demonstration of their long term commitment to Anfield.

A £69m sum technically owed to FSG has been written off and converted into equity, today’s accounts reveal.

Said the Liverpool CEO: “It’s another great example of the commitment that the owners make to the club.

“It’s effectively writing off that debt for the club and putting us in a healthier position.

“They have continued to do that throughout as everybody has seen and at the same time as doing that they have put forward the first instalment, almost £50m, of additional money in for the first phase of the stadium.

“It just continues to show their commitment, making those two gestures and at the same time reinvesting all of the profit from the sale of Luis Suarez.

“It just tells you the type of commitment they have and it is very much a long term commitment.

“We see heading towards us now the arrival of this new main stand at Anfield and I think that lends itself very well to the future of the club and how long term these owners look at the club.

“That’s something that will be there forever for this football club and I like to think they will be around for a long time as well.

Fenway’s top trio were at Wembley on Sunday to see the Reds lose heartbreaking on penalties to Manchester City.

Said Ayre: “They have been to Wembley before but they certainly said for a final it was fantastic.

“I spoke to Mike Gordon on Monday afternoon and he was like everyone, disappointed at the ultimate loss but he really enjoyed the occasion and felt it was one of those things that you will always remember.

“Going to Wembley is special for anyone whether you are from Liverpool or Boston or anywhere else.

“The whole experience of the day was fantastic and the owners enjoyed it as much as anyone else.”

Ambitions remain as high as ever at Anfield

Ayre also stressed that everyone at Liverpool remains committed to winning trophies and competing at the very highest levels - including a return to the Champions League stage, which Liverpool are struggling to make this season under new boss JĂźrgen Klopp.

Said Ayre: “We said when this ownership group came in that we wanted to win and keep winning and moving forward and that means everywhere in the club.

“And we are making that progress. We have a great manager now and we are making progress there as well.

“Nothing ever changes in terms of our ambitions. We always want to be playing Champions League football and that’s always our ambition. I have never known a year when it wasn’t our ambition at this club. It’s not always a reality but as an ambition it is always up there.

“And whether you speak to current manager or former managers it is always their ambition as well so you don’t have to create that pressure or expectation on a manager.

“Because a manager who is the manager of Liverpool Football Club, whether it is Jürgen or Brendan or Kenny or whoever, they always have the same view.

“Jürgen has played in the Champions League before and I know for certain he wants to play in it again. Everybody is focused on the same goal.

“As to the financial value of it, as we said, we are trying to compete with the best teams in the Premier League and the best teams in Europe and in order to do that you want to have the best opportunity to buy the best players. Sometimes that means you have got to invest a lot of money and sometimes it doesn’t.

“It is why in the round we are focused on our entire business, because if you just focus on the importance of Champions League revenue, then you might fall behind in other areas.

If we do the best we can in all areas then in some years we might lose out on Champions League revenue but we might gain in other areas like commercial or what have you.

“But the important thing is to be ambitious and be committed and keep investing and all of those things are happening and for that reason I think we are on the right track.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fsg-committed-liverpool-fc-long-10973745

Not too sure how this works, massaging the figures springs to mind.

Probably for the FFP rules which is powerless anyway.

Not necessarily massaging figures as they were supposed to clear all the debt as part of the purchase agreement, it's just five and a bit years later than expected.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #20535: Mar 01, 2016 05:49:53 pm
      "If we do the best we can in all areas then in some years we might lose out on Champions League revenue but we might gain in other areas like commercial or what have you."

It worries me that they play down the importance of the Champions League because they want to do well in other areas of the 'business'. They still don't get what European football means for Liverpool. Forget the F***ing finances for a minute, we have such a rich heritage in Europe.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20536: Mar 01, 2016 05:54:31 pm
      "If we do the best we can in all areas then in some years we might lose out on Champions League revenue but we might gain in other areas like commercial or what have you."

It worries me that they play down the importance of the Champions League because they want to do well in other areas of the 'business'. They still don't get what European football means for Liverpool. Forget the F***ing finances for a minute, we have such a rich heritage in Europe.

They've always got this part arse about tit mate.

They seem to believe that the more money we generate, the more we'll get success on the pitch instead of thinking the more success on the pitch will automatically bring in more money.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #20537: Mar 01, 2016 05:57:11 pm
      Fckin hate reading anything with Ayres spin on it fckin nauseating.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20538: Mar 01, 2016 06:07:54 pm
      Fckin hate reading anything with Ayres spin on it fckin nauseating.

Smarmy, slimey b***ard aint he mate.

Quick Reply