Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2764389 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #20700: Aug 31, 2016 10:24:18 am
      I'll put it this way, Roman deserve some credit for Chelsea's success? Or Sheikh Monsour for City? Of course!
      If either of those guys were in charge of us we'd be challenging regularly for the major honours.

Truth....

You must have to look how much both owners of City & Chelsea have spent to make history...
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #20701: Aug 31, 2016 11:11:49 am
      I'll put it this way, Roman deserve some credit for Chelsea's success? Or Sheikh Monsour for City? Of course!
      If either of those guys were in charge of us we'd be challenging regularly for the major honours.

Bloody hell, does that mean we have to give credit to Hicks and Gillet, well F**k that, no way!!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #20702: Aug 31, 2016 11:15:28 am
      Bloody hell, does that mean we have to give credit to Hicks and Gillet, well F**k that, no way!!

The only credit H&G get is f**king the club up....& we won f**k all with these 2 clown just as we have won only a Carling Cup & qualifying once for the Champions League with our current custodians...

Tell a lie, were gonna win the net spend league with FSG ;D
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #20703: Aug 31, 2016 11:24:50 am
      I agree with most everything except the "It's on Klopp" if we don't win trophies or get into the Champions League.  It isn't, he's allowed one full season to realise you can't "do a Dortmund" in a league where there five other teams trying to "do a Bayern Munich".

Long before the end of this season he'll realise the folly of such silliness (as will most of the fans who are currently 100% behind it). Then though, the owners need to dig and dig f****** deep. None of this 30 million annual budget bollocks either.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #20704: Aug 31, 2016 11:26:05 am
      The only credit H&G get is f**king the club up....& we won f**k all with these 2 clown just as we have won only a Carling Cup & qualifying once for the Champions League with our current custodians...

Tell a lie, were gonna win the net spend league with FSG ;D

Yet according to all credible reports, there is money there to be spent, Klopp just doesn't want to spend it. Supporters can't have it both ways, want Klopp in charge then don't expect big money spent. Want big money spent then we need to replace Klopp with a different kind of manager. At least so far as this season we're not going to get the best of both worlds.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20705: Aug 31, 2016 11:52:52 am
      Anyone think they appointed Klopp because he's a really really good manager?

Don't get the FSG hate at all. Best owners of the club in my lifetime by a country mile.

New stand, boss manager, millions spent, millions coming in (which is important too), clear vision for the club, listened to the fans about ticket prices.

I would hedge a bet that most people complaining also hate their boss at work. Seems to be a real authority problem on here for some.

I like the owners. Come at me.

I think "like" might be too strong a word.
      I think they've done a good job, and achieved more than previous owners in terms of growth, plus building, and Klopp has said he has the funds if he wants to spend them.
      I honestly don't know why some have a problem with them.

Then again, some of the mental gymnastics that people go through to ignore what Klopp said about money, and find a way to blame the owners because the manager hasn't spent big, can be pretty funny.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #20706: Aug 31, 2016 12:07:36 pm
      Anyone think they appointed Klopp because he's a really really good manager?

Don't get the FSG hate at all. Best owners of the club in my lifetime by a country mile.

New stand, boss manager, millions spent, millions coming in (which is important too), clear vision for the club, listened to the fans about ticket prices.

I would hedge a bet that most people complaining also hate their boss at work. Seems to be a real authority problem on here for some.

I like the owners. Come at me.

One trophy.
      Every star player sold.
      Money coming in at the expense of quality purchases.
      Ticketing fiascos.
      Scouts who can't afford flights further than Southampton.

Yup, fantastic owners this lot  :lmao:

On the plus side at least they didn't hire Woy :P
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #20707: Aug 31, 2016 12:11:31 pm
      I agree with most everything except the "It's on Klopp" if we don't win trophies or get into the Champions League.  It isn't, he's allowed one full season to realise you can't "do a Dortmund" in a league where there five other teams trying to "do a Bayern Munich".

Long before the end of this season he'll realise the folly of such silliness (as will most of the fans who are currently 100% behind it). Then though, the owners need to dig and dig f****** deep. None of this 30 million annual budget bollocks either.

Have to disagree with this. Like all managers before, if we don't get trophies or a top 4 it will most certainly be on Klopp.

He had a season completely written off last year, and if a world class manager believes he can do a "Dortmund" in the league like the Prem - then he must either get the credit in doing so, or fall on his sword trying.

The team is his.
      The transfer targets are his.
      And he seems at one with FSG's prudent monetary policy.

Thus, if he's not going to kick up a stink about a lack of funds or whatever then I'm afraid it most certainly is on him. God knows manager's previous to him have either been hailed legends, or crucified for their respective contempt or quietness for our transfer policies.

There is no hiding, he's placed his cards on the table; so if top 4 and trophies aren't accumulated in some fashion by the end of the season, this squarely falls at the feet of Klopp.

It's a long season, so at the moment I can only cross my fingers and hope things get better because after the first three games, the balance of the squad, the square pegs in round holes and a lack of playing players in their best positions and building a system around our optimals, our manager will sprinkle a bit of the Dortmund stardust over this squad and start to get us shifting.

In the words of John Gibbons:

By spending modestly in the summer everyone at the club is arguably putting more pressure on themselves.

Klopp is integral to the quote above.

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #20708: Aug 31, 2016 12:17:21 pm

Which should hopefully be rectified relatively shortly with Klopp. Now, remind me who hired our current manager?

Because they wished to be sold. Torres handed in a transfer request, which we all know is the beginning of the end at almost any club. Suarez just went one bite too far. Pretty sure we'd have kept him if not for his World Cup antics.

Money coming in at the expense of quality purchases.

You do realise that before FSG arrived, the club had virtually no global commercial presence, right? They've made the club upwards of £100m a year simply by signing on new sponsors and partners.

Which they moved quickly to rectify after the evident disquiet amongst the fans.

Scouts who can't afford flights further than Southampton.

Which was down to the previous managerial regime.

Yup, fantastic owners this lot  :lmao:

On the plus side at least they didn't hire Woy :P

Guarantee you'll be eating your words and missing them if they sell up.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #20709: Aug 31, 2016 12:29:16 pm
      Which should hopefully be rectified relatively shortly with Klopp. Now, remind me who hired our current manager?

Because they wished to be sold. Torres handed in a transfer request, which we all know is the beginning of the end at almost any club. Suarez just went one bite too far. Pretty sure we'd have kept him if not for his World Cup antics.

You do realise that before FSG arrived, the club had virtually no global commercial presence, right? They've made the club upwards of £100m a year simply by signing on new sponsors and partners.

Which they moved quickly to rectify after the evident disquiet amongst the fans.

When FSG came in they stripped out all quality and experience from the squad. The players bought by Rafa didn't want to be sold, they simply where. They did so with the self proclaimed intent of slashing the wage bill, only it wasn't so much slashing as complete deforestation.

As for no global presence, no, you're wrong, we did. We where, at the time, one of the two most popular teams in East Asia and the most popular team in Australasia. That has changed on their watch due to a lack of success. As for rectifying a mistake, if you avoid the mistake in the first place it won't need rectifying. They were repeatedly warned that increasing ticket pricing would not go down well and they refused to listen so it very much was a mistake they could have avoided.

At this moment in time I couldn't give a sh*t about the FA or League Cups, I want to win the league and we won't win the league without investment to compete with the rich clubs and a manager willing to use that investment. That being said, I don't think they're bad owners, I just think they're not the right owners to take us forward but I've already made it clear I have no desire to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire like we did when Moores sold up. Any new owner needs to be carefully vetted this time.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #20710: Aug 31, 2016 01:00:03 pm
      I think "like" might be too strong a word.
      I think they've done a good job, and achieved more than previous owners in terms of growth, plus building, and Klopp has said he has the funds if he wants to spend them.
      I honestly don't know why some have a problem with them.

Then again, some of the mental gymnastics that people go through to ignore what Klopp said about money, and find a way to blame the owners because the manager hasn't spent big, can be pretty funny.

Is it surprising though? Remember we hear BR talk about having the first and last say on transfers, only to find out he had players forced into him (Mario), We heard him praise the owners for backing him financially, only for him to suggest he wasnt backed when hte was hoping for quality signings.
      Klopp has also said about having the first and last say, but had also said he doesn't decide the transfer fee we're willing to pay.

I genuinely like Klopp, I think he's one of the best managers, if not the best manager in the world, and I think his heart is in the right place, but I don't believe in his transfer strategy, not in the big money world of the PL anyway.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #20711: Aug 31, 2016 01:05:12 pm

Sorry mate, but those players left due to FSG's lack of ambition. That's why Suarez was even willing to go to Arsenal to get out.
      No one is questioning their ability to bring in money, they're obviously good businessmen, but if that doesn't translate onto the field they may as well not bother. This is a football club first and foremost, business takes second place.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #20712: Aug 31, 2016 01:12:55 pm
      FSG thing annoys me a lot.

If a wee bit of luck had gone our way, and we defended marginally better, we could have won:-

1) Premier League
      2) Europa Cup
      3) League Cup (AGAIN)
      4) Possibly League & FA Cup double

ffs. peops we have been knocking on the door for loads and loads of trophys, all this while FSG have been learning the `soccer` ways, and expanding Anfield's capacity.

I've said bfre. my only gripe with them, was sacking Kenny so soon, esp. for a young manager, saying that, the young manager nearly won the league and got us to a couple of semi finals.

And they have spent fortunes on players, but as with all club's not all of them have worked out.

There are many positives if you look for them.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20713: Aug 31, 2016 02:02:12 pm
      Is it surprising though? Remember we hear BR talk about having the first and last say on transfers, only to find out he had players forced into him (Mario), We heard him praise the owners for backing him financially, only for him to suggest he wasnt backed when hte was hoping for quality signings.
      Klopp has also said about having the first and last say, but had also said he doesn't decide the transfer fee we're willing to pay.

I genuinely like Klopp, I think he's one of the best managers, if not the best manager in the world, and I think his heart is in the right place, but I don't believe in his transfer strategy, not in the big money world of the PL anyway.

I don't think Balotelli was forced on anyone.
      I think it was a compromise because we needed a striker and at that stage needed to either go without, or take a gamble.
      I also think there was more than a little sour grapes from BR, and his appraisal of players isn't the best either i.e. First Allen (fair enough, a tidy little player) but also Ashley Williams and others which suggested to me he lacked judgement.

Klopp has the first and last say, and is also on record as rejecting a player because he wasn't worth the asking price, as in the committee wanted him, but Klopp overruled them.

If you don't believe in Klopp's transfer strategy, that's fair enough, but I struggle to see how that's the fault of FSG.
      They've made plenty of money available, and Klopp hasn't spent it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #20714: Aug 31, 2016 02:15:36 pm
      John W Henry's infamous PR 'Letter to Liverpool Fans' (the one where he took fans for mugs) has been removed from the official site - his own words ["not about profit"... "we want to win"] used against him too often?

As bullshit goes FSG's is right up there with H & G's "Spade in the ground in 30 days"... Tom Werner - "We've got great confidence in Kenny. We feel the team is going to make strides in the future and he enjoys our full support... we prefer stability"; Tom Werner - "I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football" and John W Henry - "We have no fear of spending and competing with the very best"

As one of their forefathers said - "You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but you cannot fool all the people all the time."  ;)

The 'nays' seem to have it with 10 credits.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #20715: Aug 31, 2016 02:30:37 pm
      The 'nays' seem to have it with 10 credits.

Is that what is needed now for away tickets? :laugh:
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #20716: Aug 31, 2016 03:21:58 pm

True, not a good return at all. But we've also gotten to the FA Cup Final in 2012, were runners-up in the league in 2014, and reached both the League Cup final and the Europa League final in 2016.

That said, Tom Werner's defending against Drogba was diabolical, John Henry couldn't put away his chances against City, and Billy Hogan completely sh*t the bed against Sevilla in the second half ;D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #20717: Aug 31, 2016 03:33:11 pm
      That said, Tom Werner's defending against Drogba was diabolical, John Henry couldn't put away his chances against City, and Billy Hogan completely sh*t the bed against Sevilla in the second half ;D
      Not as bad as Damien Comolli's defending against Rooney, or Brendan Rodgers being sh*te in the air or Kenny missing all them penalties ;D.

Still... Comolli, Rodgers and Dalglish all got their comeuppance for their  failings so it's all good; right? ;D... ;D... F***ing... ;D  ;D

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #20718: Aug 31, 2016 04:36:05 pm
      The objective of any capital venture firm is to;

Improve a business through increased revenue and EBITDA and resell / float to make a significant profit...

They are on the verge of doing this to one of the biggest names in world sport. Anyone who believes their objectives are different are fooling themselves... The purchased a club with huge commercial revenue opportunity for a steal and are in the process of making us a very sound investment.

If you believe that JWH sits there at night wondering how he will make Liverpool a title winning side is off their box... We went home after the defeat at Burnley upset & angry. Hours later many of us would still have been more than a little pissed off - but JWH, do you think that he was annoyed? I bet he couldnt have given a monkeys - did it ruin his day, no chance.

I want an owner who is more like a fan than an owner - who wants to see us win games and will invest in order to realize that dream. Again, you are off your box if you think that Klopp would not have signed a lot more players had he been given the funds to do so - with a blank chequebook we all know that it would be a different team... 

As far as a I am concerned these chaps dont have the stomach for football or desire - sooner they let us go the better. They have made their pound of flesh - the only thing keeping them here is greed...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #20719: Aug 31, 2016 04:59:20 pm
      Correct me if I'm wrong but Graham Kelly did mention in a tweet a while back saying that we were bleeding sponsors? Which ones?
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,047 posts | 339 
      Reply #20720: Aug 31, 2016 05:02:50 pm
      The objective of any capital venture firm is to;

Improve a business through increased revenue and EBITDA and resell / float to make a significant profit...

They are on the verge of doing this to one of the biggest names in world sport. Anyone who believes their objectives are different are fooling themselves... The purchased a club with huge commercial revenue opportunity for a steal and are in the process of making us a very sound investment.

If you believe that JWH sits there at night wondering how he will make Liverpool a title winning side is off their box... We went home after the defeat at Burnley upset & angry. Hours later many of us would still have been more than a little pissed off - but JWH, do you think that he was annoyed? I bet he couldnt have given a monkeys - did it ruin his day, no chance.

I want an owner who is more like a fan than an owner - who wants to see us win games and will invest in order to realize that dream. Again, you are off your box if you think that Klopp would not have signed a lot more players had he been given the funds to do so - with a blank chequebook we all know that it would be a different team... 

As far as a I am concerned these chaps dont have the stomach for football or desire - sooner they let us go the better. They have made their pound of flesh - the only thing keeping them here is greed...

So what will the motive be if the Chinese come in?  Or anyone else? 

Unless the fans can stump up the millions to buy a controlling stake of the club, I don't see how anything you've identified can change. 

They appoint JK to worry about results and he'll thrive or dive by them.  For me, he seems to be the one digging his heels in over spending on players.  I think he's systems-world-obsessed (ie by his own system) and needs to adapt and compromise. 

FSG?  I don't know enough to slate them.  JK is there for all to see and hear.  His team win lose or draw.  Same at any club.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #20721: Aug 31, 2016 05:33:36 pm
      So what will the motive be if the Chinese come in?  Or anyone else? 

Unless the fans can stump up the millions to buy a controlling stake of the club, I don't see how anything you've identified can change. 

They appoint JK to worry about results and he'll thrive or dive by them.  For me, he seems to be the one digging his heels in over spending on players.  I think he's systems-world-obsessed (ie by his own system) and needs to adapt and compromise. 

FSG?  I don't know enough to slate them.  JK is there for all to see and hear.  His team win lose or draw.  Same at any club.

The motive will be to win trophies and to turn the local population onto Football - to use LFC as a beacon of inspiration that will drive the domestic league. It will also be a 'trophies' such as it is for the Sheiks and Oil barons - and only a winning team will be what they want...

I do however agree - a fan owned club is the way forward and best for everyone. But raising £1.4 Billion, thats not going to happen!

You cant judge a manager when he has 1 hand tied behind his back. And this is what he has... He wanted Pulisic - so we bid £11 Million for him when we know we are finishing with a flat (if not positive net spend). How can you even begin to state that he is doing it his way! If Chelsea, United or City wanted him they would have got him - simple as that. We need owners who will spend when needed and NESV are not the ones.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,047 posts | 339 
      Reply #20722: Aug 31, 2016 05:53:11 pm
      The motive will be to win trophies and to turn the local population onto Football - to use LFC as a beacon of inspiration that will drive the domestic league. It will also be a 'trophies' such as it is for the Sheiks and Oil barons - and only a winning team will be what they want...

I do however agree - a fan owned club is the way forward and best for everyone. But raising £1.4 Billion, thats not going to happen!

You cant judge a manager when he has 1 hand tied behind his back. And this is what he has... He wanted Pulisic - so we bid £11 Million for him when we know we are finishing with a flat (if not positive net spend). How can you even begin to state that he is doing it his way! If Chelsea, United or City wanted him they would have got him - simple as that. We need owners who will spend when needed and NESV are not the ones.

Pulisic is 17 years old.  More than £11 million?  We'd be mad.

In press conferences, Klopp appears quite happy with what he's got, to me.  If he feels restricted by the men upstairs he does a good job of hiding it.

There seems to be a lot of fans desperate for this Chinese group to take over.  How do we know what they'll be like?  As I've said before, the Chinese tend to like to chop (sorry) and change everything as soon as they get control of anything.  It's a generalisation, but we'd still be run by businessmen and power hungry execs, not Liverpool fans with the history, heart and soul of LFC in mind.  That's Premier League football these days, though, isn't it? 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disrespecting your viewpoint.  I'm also a Klopp fan, by the way.  I just think he's a stubborn fella who needs to adapt to this league quickly, because many fans WILL turn against him if the season isn't an improvement.  It's already happening if you believe what you read!

And yes, a fan-owned club isn't going to happen!  More's the pity.  YNWA mate.

Quick Reply