Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2644310 times
      top of the kops
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #20769: Sep 01, 2016 03:05:04 pm
      Paid for by the club - check.

Suarez and Sterling are good examples - £130+m and mediocrity signed as replacement, JW Henry & Co are unwilling to pay for quality to the detriment of the side - check.

Torres, Suarez, Sterling, all replaced with mediocracy or potential. Where did the money saved go?

The less said about FSG's farcical manager record the better.
      They had to get it right eventually, Klopp's credentials are beyond question, can the same be said for JWH & Co?
      The jury is still out on the issue of Klopp being successful with the present owners in charge.

Still no trophies after six years - check.

The FSG business model is floundering in a football context.
      Buy the Financial Times if that's your thing instead of the Football Echo.

Hi All,

I have been an avid reader of this site for a number of years now, but I never post myself, just mainly enjoying hearing other peoples thoughts. However today I feel like I have to post, and my sincerest apologies to the person whos comment I am replying to, but I honestly dont know how to add a comment without replying (I am also in work right now so the webpage is open in a tiny window so my boss cant see!)!

Firstly, like many here I am very disappointed with our transfers not only in this window but for the last number of seasons, and I genuinely do believe it is the fault of FSG. Without going into full detail (which would take a long time and risk me getting caught skiving!) , I wanted to share a link to an article that I had remembered reading a few years back that can explain much better than I could the issue with the FSG takeover.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/feb/11/christian-purslow-nesv-liverpool-bid

If you have all read it before and dismissed it then fair enough, just thought it might help bring some understanding to our current situation.

(again apologies for the reply..if someone could tell me how to post that would be great!)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20770: Sep 01, 2016 03:18:15 pm
      Hi All,

I have been an avid reader of this site for a number of years now, but I never post myself, just mainly enjoying hearing other peoples thoughts. However today I feel like I have to post, and my sincerest apologies to the person whos comment I am replying to, but I honestly dont know how to add a comment without replying (I am also in work right now so the webpage is open in a tiny window so my boss cant see!)!

Firstly, like many here I am very disappointed with our transfers not only in this window but for the last number of seasons, and I genuinely do believe it is the fault of FSG. Without going into full detail (which would take a long time and risk me getting caught skiving!) , I wanted to share a link to an article that I had remembered reading a few years back that can explain much better than I could the issue with the FSG takeover.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/feb/11/christian-purslow-nesv-liverpool-bid

If you have all read it before and dismissed it then fair enough, just thought it might help bring some understanding to our current situation.

(again apologies for the reply..if someone could tell me how to post that would be great!)

I wouldn't pay any attention at all to Purslow.
      Bowed and scraped to H&G then tried to pretend he was on our side all along after leaving the losing side in the court case, and jumping on the winners bandwagon.
      Don't even get me started on how he was trying to lord it over Rafa, was instrumental in signing Hodgson, and was on freebies all round Europe trying to sell players, and basically playing a real life version of "Football Manager".
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #20771: Sep 01, 2016 03:38:04 pm
      Hi All,

You seem to have got the hang of it just hope you have still got a job while reading the reply.
      While Purslow is not exactly flavour of the month around here he was spot on with his assessment of NESV, they are chancers who saw an opportunity with the H&G/LFC debacle to acquire an otherwise sound asset at a knock-down price with the help of a sh*t hot legal team.

Their judgement was faultless as is proven by the current worth of LFC as compared to when they acquired it, they will be sitting in their Boston enclaves laughing themselves silly at any talk of becoming embroiled in the finer points of soccer; their priority was and still is to produce the best market value for LFC plc for its eventual sale.

If their business model is maintained JWH & Co could walk away with as much as £1b when the right opportunity does present itself. 
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #20772: Sep 01, 2016 04:02:36 pm
      Wish we knew the real reason for this

2016-17

I guess the positive is that our starting XI is now stronger
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #20773: Sep 01, 2016 04:06:35 pm

2016-17

It's been quoted so many times "Jürgen"

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #20774: Sep 01, 2016 04:08:16 pm
      Guess who   :P

"Stories about our top players leaving are destructive and unwarranted but we realise that this kind of speculation is also common.
      "We intend to build on the strength of the current squad, not undermine it. And I can reassure our supporters that we have no intention of allowing the team to be weakened going forward."

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #20775: Sep 01, 2016 04:15:02 pm
      Guess who   :P

"Stories about our top players leaving are destructive and unwarranted but we realise that this kind of speculation is also common.
      "We intend to build on the strength of the current squad, not undermine it. And I can reassure our supporters that we have no intention of allowing the team to be weakened going forward."

Tom Pepper?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #20776: Sep 01, 2016 04:20:22 pm
      Who as we know was thrown out of hell for telling lies... no Stuey, good try tho.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #20777: Sep 01, 2016 04:22:17 pm

2016-17

That top 4  could very well be the top 4 at the end of the season too
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #20778: Sep 01, 2016 04:25:17 pm
      That top 4  could very well be the top 4 at the end of the season too
      Looks like Leicester have deserted the 'title on a shoestring' school of thought too.  :laugh:
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #20779: Sep 01, 2016 04:28:19 pm
      I didn't see the line in there addressing the actual results on the pitch.....you know, trophies and titles. Did you just forget to add that in there?
      Well you want that, then be my guest.

1 League cup.
      1 FA cup final.
      1 League cup final
      1 Europa league final
      Came 2nd in the league(Almost won it TBF).

For a club that almost went into administration, I'd say thats pretty decent for the owners who had no ties to football prior to LFC.

Whining just for the sake of it is bullshit TBH. What I see is that they have laid a good foundation for future long term success which will inevitably come. They  are not perfect in any sense, but they are far from worse as some people here make them out to be.

Now you see the line?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #20780: Sep 01, 2016 04:36:48 pm
      Are FSG guilty of the following?..

Not becoming league winners under Rodgers?.

Qualifying for the Champions League but getting knocked out in the group stages under Rodgers?.

Not winning the league cup & Europa cup under Klopp?.

Also, How many of our current 11 started in both finals last season?.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #20781: Sep 01, 2016 04:37:45 pm
      Paid for by the club - check.

Suarez and Sterling are good examples - £130+m and mediocrity signed as replacement, JW Henry & Co are unwilling to pay for quality to the detriment of the side - check.

Torres, Suarez, Sterling, all replaced with mediocracy or potential. Where did the money saved go?

The less said about FSG's farcical manager record the better.
      They had to get it right eventually, Klopp's credentials are beyond question, can the same be said for JWH & Co?
      The jury is still out on the issue of Klopp being successful with the present owners in charge.

Still no trophies after six years - check.

The FSG business model is floundering in a football context.
      Buy the Financial Times if that's your thing instead of the Football Echo.
        :lmao: Says the guy who doesn't even remember us winning League Cup under king.

Was it FSG's fault that we fu**ed up the league in 2014?

A few number of times , we reached the finals. Was it their fault that we didn't win it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #20782: Sep 01, 2016 04:38:50 pm
      Well you want that, then be my guest.

1 League cup.
      1 FA cup final.
      1 League cup final
      1 Europa league final
      Came 2nd in the league(Almost won it TBF).

For a club that almost went into administration, I'd say thats pretty decent for the owners who had no ties to football prior to LFC.

Whining just for the sake of it is bullshit TBH. What I see is that they have laid a good foundation for future long term success which will inevitably come. They  are not perfect in any sense, but they are far from worse as some people here make them out to be.

Now you see the line?

I see a line of runners-up.
      With the exception of course of Mr Dalglish who the owners unceremoniously sacked.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #20783: Sep 01, 2016 04:48:52 pm
        :lmao: Says the guy who doesn't even remember us winning League Cup under king.

The League Cup as a solitary example of unbridled success is a very poor offering, so much so that some clubs ignore it as a distraction to winning the more credible trophies.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20784: Sep 01, 2016 05:00:29 pm
      I really do wish some people had the balls to own up to the real reason they hate the owners.

That reason being they had the nerve to sack Dalglish.

Others are just fishing, as per usual.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #20785: Sep 01, 2016 05:03:39 pm
      The League Cup as a solitary example of unbridled success is a very poor offering, so much so that some clubs ignore it as a distraction to winning the more credible trophies.

Man City disagree ;D they wanted that cup just as much as us mate, I would have loved it if we had won it,irrelevant how some perceive that competition...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #20786: Sep 01, 2016 05:05:28 pm
      I really do wish some people had the balls to own up to the real reason they hate the owners.

Worse are the comparisons to Hicks and Gillett.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20787: Sep 01, 2016 05:10:03 pm
      Worse are the comparisons to Hicks and Gillett.

Yep.
      It's all gotten a bit silly.

Although, as I said before the mental gymnastics to find a way to blame the owners because Klopp didn't spend are pretty amusing.

We've had a few years of this now, different managers wanting different players, clearing the decks and then making the same mistakes.
      At least with Klopp we have a long term manager, who we know has a plan, and knows how to implement it.

No doubt when it comes to the big money signings (not silly money, like Pogba) he'll get it right, more often than not.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #20788: Sep 01, 2016 05:14:28 pm
      What I don't get either is that when we do spend millions on players that don't work out the net spend argument is mysteriously absent and outgoing spend used against any individual(s) some people see fit to target like Brendan last year.

Yep, managers are damned if they do and damned if they don't at this club.

'Buck stops with Jürgen' 'It's Jurgens full responsibility' etc - nice to see folk already preparing their scapegoat.

The way some folk are talking it's as if Jürgen has dismantled a team of potential league champions (ha ha, a long way away from league champions this squad - and that's hardly Jurgens fault) and recklessly left blank spaces in the squad. Always looking for a grievance some folk.

There's absolutely nothing in the last few years to suggest we would get it right by panic buying - why the f**k should Jürgen panic buy at the whims of couch potatoes who know sweet f**k all? If the right player isn't on the market, then the right player isn't on the market. I have my doubts as to what Jürgen can do with the left back situation but whose to say he doesn't have a plan for that position?

The bottom line is if things don't work out, then it's an indictment on the squad building of the last few years and the club's haphazard approach to it PRIOR to Jurgens arrival - not specifically the actions of Jürgen or FSG's attitude in the summer, but merely problems that inevitably still linger from the past, as you will always find considering it's not that long since the new man has taken charge. That's hardly Jurgens fault considering the short time he's been here. FSG may provide the funds and may very well welcome any strategy Jürgen proposes but it's refreshing to see a manager in charge who is keeping his cool and isn't throwing everything at the squad in the desperate hope it sticks.
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2016 05:32:28 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #20789: Sep 01, 2016 05:24:02 pm

I don't hate the owners

Might as well hate a snail for having a shell, the pope for being Catholic or a bear for shitting in the woods

They are here to make money for the share holders !

Let me ask you this; At what point do you think they should start to invest in the club, at what point should they take money out of the equity of the club to improve the teams chances of winning. When they are sitting on £500 million profit, a billion profit or two billion profit.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20790: Sep 01, 2016 05:26:43 pm
      I don't hate the owners

Might as well hate a snail for having a shell, the pope for being Catholic or a bear for shitting in the woods

They are here to make money for the share holders !

Let me ask you this; At what point do you think they should start to invest in the club, at what point should they take money out of the equity of the club to improve the teams chances of winning. When they are sitting on £500 million profit, a billion profit or two billion profit.

They've invested in the club.

To suggest otherwise is just a blatant lie.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #20791: Sep 01, 2016 05:32:49 pm
      They've invested in the club.

To suggest otherwise is just a blatant lie.

They invested £244 million when the bought the club after that it has all been loans

Loans are not investment

Quick Reply