Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2756556 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #20815: Sep 01, 2016 07:01:32 pm
      When Klopp decides he needs the players to & at present he believes we are equipped in doing so.

It seems like everyone is forgetting that we got audited for FFP, and escaped by the skin of our teeth.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20816: Sep 01, 2016 07:04:20 pm
      It seems like everyone is forgetting that we got audited for FFP, and escaped by the skin of our teeth.

Yeah, if only we were in Europe :D
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #20817: Sep 01, 2016 07:05:48 pm
      When Klopp decides he needs the players to & at present he believes we are equipped in doing so.

If you read my whole quote you will see my point is about the owners using the increase in value to give the football team a better chance of winning trophies.

They are ahead by hundreds of millions, I would like them to cash in some of the equity and pay for the new stand out of their own pocket.

Dont you think it would be fair for them to use some of their profit to help the football club?

I know its not going to happen ! They would rather the shareholders get the money ! 

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20818: Sep 01, 2016 07:06:03 pm
      Yeah, if only we were in Europe :D

Not sure what point you're making there.

It applies to teams not in Europe as well.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #20819: Sep 01, 2016 07:13:38 pm
      Well you want that, then be my guest.

1 League cup.
      1 FA cup final.
      1 League cup final
      1 Europa league final
      Came 2nd in the league(Almost won it TBF).

For a club that almost went into administration, I'd say thats pretty decent for the owners who had no ties to football prior to LFC.

Whining just for the sake of it is bullshit TBH. What I see is that they have laid a good foundation for future long term success which will inevitably come. They  are not perfect in any sense, but they are far from worse as some people here make them out to be.

Now you see the line?

Please stop listing finals as if that's some sort of accomplishment. Do we have a bunch of runners up trophies for those?
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #20820: Sep 01, 2016 07:33:38 pm
      I do apologise for not reply  earlier

I'm not sure how I managed to miss your witty, intelligent, comprehensive reply

I can only conclude you don't mind the owners making hundreds of millions while we become a mid-table team   
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20821: Sep 01, 2016 07:44:01 pm
      I do apologise for not reply  earlier

I'm not sure how I managed to miss your witty, intelligent, comprehensive reply

I can only conclude you don't mind the owners making hundreds of millions while we become a mid-table team

Or you could try educating yourself and find out how Forbes rankings actually work.

Conclude whatever you like fella.
      I don't care what you think.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #20822: Sep 01, 2016 07:48:25 pm
      Please stop listing finals as if that's some sort of accomplishment. Do we have a bunch of runners up trophies for those?
      No, we don't. The fact that we reached the finals but failed to win it can't be FSG's fault, is it?  Is it hard to grasp?

Was Tom Werner underperforming in the final? No
      Did JW Henry missed a penalty in the final? No.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20823: Sep 01, 2016 07:50:41 pm
      Not sure what point you're making there.

It applies to teams not in Europe as well.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20824: Sep 01, 2016 08:09:10 pm

Since the conversation you commented on was about previous years spending, I'm not sure what difference this makes.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #20825: Sep 01, 2016 08:09:54 pm

I thought this club was not only about winning trophies but challenging too?..

Do we have a birth right to win all before us? No.

I'd rather participate in a challenge than not at all..
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #20826: Sep 01, 2016 08:10:44 pm
      Or you could try educating yourself and find out how Forbes rankings actually work.

Conclude whatever you like fella.
      I don't care what you think.

Is it a hat ? I really hope Forbes pull figures out of a hat !

Regardless the owners are ahead by hundreds of millions - We all know it !
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #20827: Sep 01, 2016 08:14:36 pm
      Makes me laugh the number of people frantically searching for a reason not to blame Klopp because they are unhappy with our net spend and the transfer window.

I dislike FSG as much as the next man, but they have brought in a manager who fits their philosophy (a penny saved is a penny earned), who has said that the money was there if he wanted to use it. The buck stops with Klopp this season for me.   

I think that's right - based upon what we know s@int.

My only caveat to that comes from a nagging suspicion there's more substance to the Chinese rumours than we are aware of at this point.

Otherwise - yep. This is on the boss, as were the windows for which BR took criticism and indeed Kenny (with Comolli) before him.

It has to be.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #20828: Sep 01, 2016 08:14:57 pm
      I thought this club was not only about winning trophies but challenging too?..

Do we have a birth right to win all before us? No.

I'd rather participate in a challenge than not at all..

Well you go ahead and hang your hat on making a final if you like. Winners don't have to parade around their 2nd place medals to show people how good they almost were.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #20829: Sep 01, 2016 08:19:44 pm

A negative net spend and we still manage to improve our first team with a possible 4 players (Karius, Matip, Grujic and Mane), adding to that, we keep our best players from last season.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #20830: Sep 01, 2016 08:22:07 pm

Why are we getting side tracked over net spend? I'm not disputing what you're saying but all credible reports said the money was there to spend but Klopp didn't want to spend it. It's all very well wanting owners that are willing to invest heavily in the team, but you need a manager that's willing to spend that investment as well. This is what I keep coming back to. Supporters want Klopp and high spend, but the two are incompatible unless he changes his stance. If you want high spend levels we need new owners and to ditch Klopp, it really is that simple.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #20831: Sep 01, 2016 08:26:01 pm
      Well you go ahead and hang your hat on making a final if you like. Winners don't have to parade around their 2nd place medals to show people how good they almost were.

So, after loosing 2 finals last season & the FA cup final when Kenny was in charge that failure to convert those loses into wins were down to FSG?..gotcha!..

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20832: Sep 01, 2016 08:37:42 pm
      Why are we getting side tracked over net spend? I'm not disputing what you're saying but all credible reports said the money was there to spend but Klopp didn't want to spend it. It's all very well wanting owners that are willing to invest heavily in the team, but you need a manager that's willing to spend that investment as well. This is what I keep coming back to. Supporters want Klopp and high spend, but the two are incompatible unless he changes his stance. If you want high spend levels we need new owners and to ditch Klopp, it really is that simple.

The point I was making was that FFP has no relevance to us at the moment. We haven't decided not to spend because we were frightened of breaking FFP rules, it was a decision made by Jürgen.

Just another irrelevance thrown up to obfuscate and disseminate from the fact that we have spent poorly under FSG and the system they imposed as can be clearly seen from our league positions under them.   
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2016 08:48:14 pm by s@int »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #20833: Sep 01, 2016 08:55:16 pm
      The point I was making was that FFP has no relevance to us at the moment. We haven't decided not to spend because we were frightened of breaking FFP rules, it was a decision made by Jürgen.

Just another irrelevance thrown up to obfuscate and disseminate from the fact that we have spent poorly under FSG and the system they imposed as can be clearly seen from our league positions under them.   

Like I said, I don't disagree. All I'm saying is that anyone who thinks Klopp was hired because of his world class credentials is painfully naive. First and foremost he was brought in because he has a proven track record of working on a limited budget. By his own admission, he would 'quit football' if he felt he had to spend big to win the league. Therefore those who want FSG out and rich owners in need to be mindful that unless he changes his current stance, it also means Klopp out and a manager like Conte, Mourinho or Guardiola coming in. All successful managers in their own right but lacking in the charisma of Jürgen. Too many supporters want their cake and eat it but life rarely works like that.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20834: Sep 01, 2016 09:22:49 pm
      Like I said, I don't disagree. All I'm saying is that anyone who thinks Klopp was hired because of his world class credentials is painfully naive. First and foremost he was brought in because he has a proven track record of working on a limited budget. By his own admission, he would 'quit football' if he felt he had to spend big to win the league. Therefore those who want FSG out and rich owners in need to be mindful that unless he changes his current stance, it also means Klopp out and a manager like Conte, Mourinho or Guardiola coming in. All successful managers in their own right but lacking in the charisma of Jürgen. Too many supporters want their cake and eat it but life rarely works like that.

I think you make a very good point...and set a very good conundrum, would new owners with a different perspective on spending see Jürgen leave? Not sure myself as I think he would be the first manager to quit because the owners were forcing him to spend money :) 

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #20835: Sep 01, 2016 09:27:25 pm
      I think you make a very good point...and set a very good conundrum, would new owners with a different perspective on spending see Jürgen leave? Not sure myself as I think he would be the first manager to quit because the owners were forcing him to spend money :)

It would certainly be a unique irony. :)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #20836: Sep 02, 2016 12:25:14 pm
      FSG deserve the plaudits for finally sorting out Anfield and obviously on the commercial front we are light years ahead of before they came onto the scene.

Personally I'm not overly bothered by how much our value has increased and I imagine like a lot of fans like me the priority should be what's happening on the pitch.

I imagine they are pretty happy seeing us as a mid table team and seeing our value increase without any real investement.

God help them if we had won the Europa Cup - can you imagine they would have been shitting themselves at the thought of having to compete in the CL.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20837: Sep 02, 2016 02:06:03 pm
      One question for you folks on both sides of the fence.

What do you think of the difference between our current owners and the way things were under Moores nine years or so ago?

I think the biggest difference has been the ambition shown. Under Moores (and Parry) we budgeted to qualify for the group stages of the CL, while under FSG (and Ayres) we have budgeted for not qualifying for the CL.

Rick Parry "We have to budget for getting through to the group stages, otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford to do what we do. If you budget for failure, you achieve it, so we budget for success."

Moores wanted to run us as a corner shop with the focus being on football success and the business aspect being secondary, while FSG want to run us as a franchise with the focus being money and football success being secondary to it.

Quick Reply