Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2642498 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: New Owners of LFC
      Reply #2898: Mar 27, 2012 09:41:45 am
      I agree they got the club on the cheap and should provide a decent transfer fund this summer despite missing the Champions League, as for the January window, I have no idea if that's true or not so I'm not going to speculate. Would be a major disappointment if we don't see some serious money being given this summer and some progress on the stadium.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2899: Mar 27, 2012 09:49:29 am
      I'm not sure how Tony Evans arrives at the conclusion that FSG don't have a clear plan as it's hardly as if they are novices in running sporting 'businesses'.

Also they did provide money for players last summer but it just so happens that many don't think they were the correct signings or 'big' enough signings.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Kenny said he got all or the vast majority of the players we were after.

These type of comments never come out after the Cup Final when things looked great but now after a bad run of form they don't have a clear plan. 

Not convinced that's the case.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2900: Mar 27, 2012 10:02:33 am
      The thing is and I will say first that I'm not personally having a go at the owners but the facts are that they did get the club cheaper than the potential market value.. That even though they have provided funds for transfers you can't get away from the net spend not being massive over 3 transfer windows now.. That no decision has been made regarding the stadium.
      Now I'm in the mindset that they are researching the stadium fully before making a decision and that they are business men that won't just bankroll the club out of their own pockets. And I am very grateful that they brought the club when they did.

But I don't think it's unreasonable that they invest fairly well this summer in the transfer market, as the only way we move forward is to improve and that a decision on the stadium one way or another is made this summer, that cannot drag on forever.

Again I am fully behind them as we stand and understand their viewpoint.. But if they did their due diligence correctly before buying us then they would know surely it won't happen over night and will need investment.

A drowning man will thank you for saving him a few times, but will thank you for life if you teach him to swim..
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2901: Mar 27, 2012 10:03:41 am
      Tony Evans said there was a 37.5million net spend must of which was savings on wages. He said they got the club for 218 million on the cheap.  Said they have invested nothing so far.  To be honest the honeymoon period is well and truly over just spending what we make will not work with out a new stadium or with out champions league football. If they think they can do this on the cheap i think they are sadly mistaken
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #2902: Mar 27, 2012 10:08:43 am
      Nobody has made light of the situation we were in, but in a weired way we were fortunate that H and G were completely incompetent, if they were any good at looking after there finances they would still be here 
      Very true mate, it was fortunate that a means was found to rid us of the cancer, but at the same time it was inevitable that their reign of deceit would be found out, H&G were reasonably accomplished fraudsters and it did take a very complicated legal process to get the bloodsuckers off our backs. If NESV had not been as committed as they were who knows how much longer we would have been stuck with the parasites?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2903: Mar 27, 2012 10:20:34 am
      I dont think they would have being around much longer irrevelant of Fsg. Rbs wanted them out and the club was available for 218million. Evans says Ayres talked of other offers in an email so Fsg weren't the only interested party.  If Fsg dont invest their own money eventually the fans wil turn on them mark my words. If they dont invest their own money you will see no new stadium or champions league football for a long time. They all ready have there scapegoat in place for the next few years Kenny and when you see the media saying they have provided 113million for transfers you know what i mean
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2904: Mar 27, 2012 10:24:37 am
      It's up to us the fans though Corb to not fall for media bollocks.. We never have done til now so let's not start. It's up to us to not allow the media to lump any rubbish like that on Kenny.

Thing is, say your right and conceivably that could happen in terms of the owners, then they put it up for sale and we get new owners.. And you might then get your perfect owners.

Until then I'll sit back and watch what happens.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2905: Mar 27, 2012 11:12:03 am
      One thing that is always hidden from the numbers is the cost of cancelling contracts like Jovanovic, Poulsen, El Zhar and a few others who I forget now, but they wouldn't have been cheap, these guys were on stupid wages. Also we still contribute towards AA and Cole's wages so they will disappear this summer. So there is cost there that seems easily forgotten when trying to paid the cheapskate FSG picture so I don't fully conform to that. This summer is without doubt pivotal though to show their intentions, either they back Kenny with decent money and we're happy enough to see what he can do with it as it will be no excuses if this set don't work. Or they don't back him and we're left with 2 options, they're either not putting their hand in their pockets or they have no faith in Dalglish / Commoli.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2906: Mar 27, 2012 12:57:58 pm
      It's up to us the fans though Corb to not fall for media bollocks.. We never have done til now so let's not start. It's up to us to not allow the media to lump any rubbish like that on Kenny.

The problem is you hear the same media sh*t being spouted at matches, so a lot of fans seem to believe what they read.

It was the same under Rafa, the media spouted that he had wasted hundreds of millions, and some gobshites lapped it up and used it as terrace ammo.

I'm not going to get into the net spend argument, but for me that figure rather than gross is the figure that means something.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2907: Mar 27, 2012 03:09:03 pm
      To be honest I'm sick of people like Bascombe and Evans having a go at FSG at the moment. As I've said before they've made the way they want things done pretty clear so I don't think anyone should be in any doubt. These people are journalists first and 'fans' second. We have to give JW Henry and co a chance before we even start to judge them. Evans said that FSG should have made Kenny wait until the summer when Carroll would have been cheaper if Kenny still wanted him. Talk about a no win situation , if they had just banked the Torres cash I'm sure the gobs***e would have been all over talkshite going on about the yanks banking the cash. I'm sure they will back Kenny in the summer as far as possible. It's up to Kenny and DC to do the rest. They are in a difficult position with the stadium, perhaps they should be more pro active but it will cost a lot of dough to build.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2908: Mar 27, 2012 03:55:35 pm
      Think it's ridiculous for you to constantly be having a hop off at FSG corbs because they got the club on the cheap. Their business men and they saw a massive club going on the cheap and swooped. Can't blame them for that.

They have had 1 summer at the club and regardless of their net spend a lot of money was spent. You go on about only 37mill being spent, but they gained 50mill from Torres leaving the club, which will have had a huge impact on that figure. Noone wanted Torres to go, Suarez was signed to play alongside him.

I think the constant negativity and suspicion surrounding FSG isn't helping anyone, we're all clever enough to form our own opinions and in my opinion they deserve more than 1 summer window to show what their intentions are. Journos haven't got a clue, how could they? Our owners are in America and rarely make any statements so no matter which paper it is that comes out with these stories it's all just speculation at the end of the day and they know as much as you and I.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2909: Mar 27, 2012 05:26:57 pm
      Tony Evans was saying what a lot of Liverpool fans are beginning to think about them.  With out them investing their own money not a hope of us back competing for titles. That is reality.  Spending what we make will not be enough without champions league football or a new stadium. They needed to make a good investment on transfers when they arrived without this all the talk will remain talk. The spin from the media about spending 113 million is spin the net spend is 37.5million less than hicks and gillette first three windows. As i said they will not do this on the cheap if they think they will they have very little understanding about football.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2910: Mar 27, 2012 05:54:30 pm
      Tony Evans was saying what a lot of Liverpool fans are beginning to think about them.  With out them investing their own money not a hope of us back competing for titles. That is reality.  Spending what we make will not be enough without champions league football or a new stadium. They needed to make a good investment on transfers when they arrived without this all the talk will remain talk. The spin from the media about spending 113 million is spin the net spend is 37.5million less than hicks and gillette first three windows. As i said they will not do this on the cheap if they think they will they have very little understanding about football.

Maybe they should just throw the club in debt and get that net spend up to H&G levels, worked great before.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2911: Mar 27, 2012 05:58:08 pm
      Like I said mate, the 50mill we received from the Torres deal has spun that figure massively. I don't care what H & G's net spend was, we won nothing with them owning the club. Already under FSG we have picked up silverware.

2 transfer windows, 1 summer. Hardly enough time to judge them. As for 'doing it on the cheap' I'd say we're being more focussed on the FFP rules and if they are enforced correctly then that will be hugely beneficial to us. 
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2912: Mar 27, 2012 06:08:59 pm
      Not a F***ing hope the fair play rules are going to be properly enforced we seem to be the only club worrying about it. Doesn't seem to be bothering chelsea or city does it.

Az lack of investment will not work no matter how much spin you hear about the long term. Champions league football will not be achieved on the cheap.

Ill be looking at how much they invest this summer with great interest. If they dont put in about 50million of there own money we can forget about champions league football again next season who ever is manager
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2913: Mar 27, 2012 06:13:31 pm
      Not a f**king hope the fair play rules are going to be properly enforced we seem to be the only club worrying about it. Doesn't seem to be bothering chelsea or city does it.

Az lack of investment will not work no matter how much spin you hear about the long term. Champions league football will not be achieved on the cheap.

Ill be looking at how much they invest this summer with great interest. If they dont put in about 50million of there own money we can forget about champions league football again next season who ever is manager
      Sorry mate but there is no way that any of us can know how the FFP are going to be enforced. I get the impression that FSG are building with them in mind, regardless of how serious other clubs are taking it. We've already seen Platini enforce serious changes to the Champions League, the homegrown rules and the Euro's in his term in office, I wouldn't put it past him to make sure the FFP rules go through aswell.

I actually agree with you that they will need to invest some of their own money this year to compensate for us missing out on Champions League footy, but I can't understand why you are assuming that they have no intention of investing anything. All we can do is wait and see because until the end of summer none of us really know what is going to happen.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2914: Mar 27, 2012 06:19:01 pm
      No Fsg are praying its enforced other wise we wont be able to compete.  We need it a lot more than any other club with champions league ambitions.

Saw chelsea linked to ronaldo lavezzi and Cavani yesterday even though they are already massively breaching the rules work that one out.

Because John Henry has continually said they wont.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2915: Mar 27, 2012 06:23:12 pm
      No Fsg are praying its enforced other wise we wont be able to compete.  We need it a lot more than any other club with champions league ambitions.

Saw chelsea linked to ronaldo lavezzi and Cavani yesterday even though they are already massively breaching the rules work that one out.

Because John Henry has continually said they wont.
      Your basing it all on speculation. I couldn't give a sh*te what Chelsea to do, or who their linked with. If the rules are enforced then we are going to be in a good position, if they aren't then a re-think will be needed, but we have no way of knowing how serious UEFA are about them.

Your basing all your suspicions of FSG on speculation, when the journos haven't got a clue what their intentions are in the summer. I'll watch on with interest this summer, but I won't slate them based on a rumour that Chelsea are going to sign Ronaldo.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2916: Mar 27, 2012 06:27:28 pm
      To be fair to Corbally, the owners have already said that they will only spend what we earn, so I think hopes of them pumping money into the squad are very optimistic.

What we don't know is how much profit we will make this year and which and how many players we will sell. Hopefully with the cup successes and our commercial success there will be a little more, then all we need to do is invest it wisely in a few top quality players. 

I think we need to see some progress on the stadium to reassure most of us that we have the right owners rather than them throwing money at the squad.

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2917: Mar 27, 2012 06:32:37 pm
      Tony Evans said and he is right we are not ready for there rules either. We needed to be either in the champions league or have a new stadium to compete with arsenal and utd and others.

I personally do care what our competition is doing.

Anyone that this is going to be done on the cheap like Fsg appear to favour its not no matter how much people want to believe it will. Of all the new owners coming in barring kroenke dont think any owners have invested as little initially as Fsg. Even lerner and ellison have invested more.

People wondering why im bringing it up today is because of what tony evans said and he got last summer spot on
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2918: Mar 27, 2012 06:38:59 pm
      Tony Evans said and he is right we are not ready for there rules either. We needed to be either in the champions league or have a new stadium to compete with arsenal and utd and others.

I personally do care what our competition is doing.

Anyone that this is going to be done on the cheap like Fsg appear to favour its not no matter how much people want to believe it will. Of all the new owners coming in barring kroenke dont think any owners have invested as little initially as Fsg. Even lerner and ellison have invested more.

People wondering why im bringing it up today is because of what tony evans said and he got last summer spot on
      Everyone knows we need a new stadium and I do feel that a statement needs to be made on what is happening with that at the end of the season.

When you say you care what our competition is doing, you're just going off rumours at this stage. You mention how Chelsea are going to sign Lavezzi etc but that's just speculation at this stage, I'm more concerned with how we buy in the summer because if we sign the right players then we can get back into the CL.

My issue is how you keep mentioning FSG 'doing it on the cheap' after about a year in charge. We need to make some changes this summer and that will be the time to judge IMO, we need to see investment in the squad and we need to hear about the stadium, but until summer it's all speculation. I haven't read what Tony Evans said so I can't really comment to much on that, but I wouldn't get too worked up over what a journalist has to say, no matter who it is.
      guyfawks
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      • Keep trying, you'll get there in the end
      Reply #2919: Mar 27, 2012 06:50:51 pm
      Its strange that all the houses are getting knocked down around anfield, i would be happy if we kept our stadium and expanded it, as the atmosphere and echo it produces are legendary, i think this is what will happen, if not we need to build at least 70000 stadium if its shared with the blues then so what, its called progress, but did that work well in Italy or not.

as far as the fair financial play , here is the rules, i dont know why certain teams are not abiding , maybe we will get in the CL after all if we finish sixth

A Club Financial Control Panel has been set up to monitor and ensure that clubs adhere to the financial fair play requirements - and in May 2010, the UEFA Executive Committee approved the UEFA Club Licensing and Fair Play Regulations - which have the support of all stakeholders in European football. Financial fair play measures will be implemented over a three-year period, with the break-even assessment covering the financial years ending 2012 and 2013 assessed during 2013/14, and starting with the assessment by the Club Financial Control Panel of all transfer and employee payables in the summer of 2011.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #2920: Mar 27, 2012 07:09:48 pm
      .....if not we need to build at least 70000 stadium.....

Just to add that Ian Ayres said in an interview in the Echo a couple of weeks back that our 'sweet spot' is 60-65,000 and any bigger and the atmosphere would suffer.

Personally I think they'll be going for expansion.

Quick Reply