Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2754076 times
      CT_LFC and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: New Owners of LFC
      Reply #2668: Feb 14, 2012 04:19:55 pm
      The comment about FSG's net spending is silly Corbally. We had to clear the sh*t out of our squad this season and inevitably that caused us to have a fairly small net transfer spend. They should be praised for selling the crap we had been accustomed to and to help the club's wage bill. The fact that we have spent over £100 mil is very encouraging and i'm sure next season our net spend will be larger as we do not have to participate in a mass clear out operation.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2669: Feb 14, 2012 04:27:54 pm
      Baseball is very different from football. I'll watch with interest in the summer if we dont get champions league football how much will they invest. Maybe im just annoyed with them at the moment with Kenny apology and that lack of investment in January and the silence on the stadium.  Especially when i see marquee players like hazard saying he is interested in spurs the day they admit progress on their new stadium.

Why exactly would i support city im following Liverpool 26years.  My opinion might not go with the general consensus on here but i dont care.  Tell me what is not true in my posts
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2670: Feb 14, 2012 04:41:15 pm
      Baseball is very different from football. I'll watch with interest in the summer if we dont get champions league football how much will they invest. Maybe im just annoyed with them at the moment with Kenny apology and that lack of investment in January and the silence on the stadium.  Especially when i see marquee players like hazard saying he is interested in spurs the day they admit progress on their new stadium.

Why exactly would i support city im following Liverpool 26years.  My opinion might not go with the general consensus on here but i dont care.  Tell me what is not true in my posts

I have no doubt what you're saying is what you believe is true.

What i don't agree with is your way of analysing a situation and regardless of what you conjure up, it was always leads to some doom-mongering drivel of how FSG are the wrong owners, Kenny is out of touch, City/Spurs are the best thing since sliced bread and we won't sign anyone world class unless we start shitting money and build a new stadium that can fit 100,000 people so we can entice players to play here.

26 years is longer than i've been alive but i have zero doubt you would of learnt a thing or two about modesty, loyalty and respect in that time - three things you seem to lack when discussing the prospects of this club under it's current custodians.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2671: Feb 14, 2012 04:50:20 pm
      Im a realist something a lot of forum go ers dont like. I dont question anyone else support and i dont think anyone should question mine. Agree with me disagree with me but can people please stop this negative drivel to make themselves feel better. Im supporting Liverpool through thick and thin the last 26 years and dont feel there is anything i can learn off you about supporting the club crouch sorry if you take offence to that. Is it possible to debate what i say with out the fixation top turn every thing personal with me.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #2672: Feb 14, 2012 04:57:49 pm
      Im a realist something a lot of forum go ers dont like. I dont question anyone else support and i dont think anyone should question mine. Agree with me disagree with me but can people please stop this negative drivel to make themselves feel better. Im supporting Liverpool through thick and thin the last 26 years and dont feel there is anything i can learn off you about supporting the club crouch sorry if you take offence to that. Is it possible to debate what i say with out the fixation top turn every thing personal with me.

Sorry for being a bad judge of character. Hopefully you can see my point of view and reasoning for my posts regarding your opinion. I don't take lightly to people sharing their opinion in such a negative manner constantly.

In future, please don't take what i say personally. My responses are merely a reflection on what you say, not you as a person.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2673: Feb 14, 2012 05:02:37 pm

Just because you say you're a realist, doesn't make your POV any realer either.  I just find I need uppers after the majority of your posts.  I come away thinking we all doomed, when it's nowhere near as bleak as your posts paint it. 
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2674: Feb 14, 2012 05:05:01 pm
      No offence taken but would rather people debate the content of my posts rather than this general you are only saying it because your negative. My main points about Fsg were lack of investment in the playing side the lack of news on the stadium the priority to cut costs and this current debacle with the Suarez situation. Debate them points tell me why im wrong there.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2675: Feb 14, 2012 05:09:20 pm
      Just because you think something is right doesn't mean it's inherently right. Oh conundrum.

On the matter of FSG's net spend: Rome wasn't built in a day. I don't expect our owners to come flying in, spending 100 million and then some on wages on players every transfer window. That is not sustainable long term. Chelsea have had a fantastic ten years. Let's see how they do this next decade. I'm predicting a bit of a fall from grace.

The problem with buying finished products over and over is that finished products tend to be older and will inevitably hit the downslopes of their careers sooner rather than later. Then you have to throw another 25-30 million at a player to replace them, and the cycle of sh*t continues. Then, most likely you're in debt, or paying such ridiculous wages that ticket prices have gone up 3-fold and your fans and atmosphere are absolute sh*t.

Smart spending is where it's at. Splashing the cash on big name players shouldn't be ways to paper over the cracks, but rather the final additions to a team that has been thoughtfully put together.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2676: Feb 14, 2012 05:10:08 pm
      Just because you say you're a realist, doesnt make your POV any realer either.  I just find I need uppers after the majority of your posts.  I come away thinking we all doomed, when it's nowhere near as bleak as your posts paint it. 

find that absolute rubbish but your entitled to your opinion.  I am right a lot not because im so knowledgeable but because i dont wear the rose tinted glasses a lot do.  See what does annoy me a bit is hoping off me is acceptable on here. That bit annoys me.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2677: Feb 14, 2012 05:12:14 pm
      find that absolute rubbish but your entitled to your opinion.  I am right a lot not because im so knowledgeable but because i dont wear the rose tinted glasses a lot do.  See what does annoy me a bit is hoping off me is acceptable on here. That bit annoys me.

You're wrong a lot too and I don't wear glasses you condescending SOB.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #2678: Feb 14, 2012 05:19:46 pm
      No offence taken but would rather people debate the content of my posts rather than this general you are only saying it because your negative. My main points about Fsg were lack of investment in the playing side the lack of news on the stadium the priority to cut costs and this current debacle with the Suarez situation. Debate them points tell me why im wrong there.

Lack of investment

I'm not too sure about that. Maybe it's the lack of top quality that you're alluding to. There definitely hasn't been a lack of investment. Our record signing, a 20m striker partner and a rebuilt midfield certainly suggests some money was spent. Our net transfer spend has been low but that can only be expected after the culling of the dead wood. We lost many players in the off season and that built up some funds. Not to mention Torres' departure.

Stadium

All too easy to lay blame on FSG. No stadium will be approved within the past year they have been here. From reading up on the topic, the lack of building space within the Merseyside area makes this a very difficult thing to approach. Council approval, costs, finding the funding, sponsorship and design must be considered. Definitely not a one year project.

Cutting costs

Not really sure what you mean here. This point seems to be plucked out of thing air to hold against the owners if i'm being honest. I have not seen many cost cutting exercises taken by the owners. Cost cutting suggests a downgrade in facilities, increased player sales of players who are of good quality for a good return on investment, or a removal of employee positions. Could you point out which of these you are specifically referring to?

Suarez

This whole thing was sparked from a sham of an investigation. Suarez didn't help himself and hindsight suggests things could of been handled better but as a heirarchy, something had to be done and the asking of an apology seems to be as light of a punishment as they could of issued. No fine or suspension suggests they want to maintain a positive image on the club - as they should - but not be rash in handing down a punishment on Luis.

The lack of appeal was interesting but after an official investigation, the same body would be in charge of the review and after making a finding, it is extremely rare on them to backflip. Especially as their motive was to hand down a strict punishment with clarification on guilt or not, accepting the punishment and ensuring this episode is put to rest quicker was the ideal solution i would assume was FSG's motive. Take note, this would of definitely been discussed with the manager and any ruling would of had Kenny's backing whether he saw it one way or another.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2679: Feb 14, 2012 05:38:00 pm
      Interesting post crouch some good points. The cost cutting i was talking about crouch was the 30 million knocked off he wage bill. It is a known fact the clubs that pay the biggest wages win the league in most countries in europe. While ive no proof of their involvement in the Suarez debacle it would be naive to think they weren't behind the apologies.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2680: Feb 14, 2012 05:48:48 pm
      Does anybody know just what our net spend is under FSG? I'd guess at around £30M at the moment.

I think one of the main reasons they bought us was because of the UEFA FFP rules which they (yet not many others) seem to set much stall by. If those rules are not enforced properly then they will have to start spending some of that fortune of theirs if they want us to be able to compete.

This is quite an important time for us, Spurs and City have taken over us in the league. They both have better squads than us. It will need spending to close that gap, and it will need to be spent well.

Errors like Carroll and Downing can't afford to be repeated, while Spurs find players like VDV, Modric, Bale and Walker for about half the price we paid for those two.

Though granted that is not the fault of FSG.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #2681: Feb 14, 2012 05:49:59 pm
      Interesting post crouch some good points. The cost cutting i was talking about crouch was the 30 million knocked off he wage bill. It is a known fact the clubs that pay the biggest wages win the league in most countries in europe. While ive no proof of their involvement in the Suarez debacle it would be naive to think they weren't behind the apologies.

The cost cutting your referring to is an extremely naive point to use at a beating stick. Considering the players cut off this wage bill included Nabil El Zhar, David N'Gog, Phillip Degen, Milan Jovanovic, Christian Poulsen and Paul Konchesky, 30m was a brilliant figure to achieve.

I have no doubt they were involved in the saga, but that is natural as a hierarchy of a company which is receiving negative publicity. They will intervene and make sure it doesn't descend in to something even bigger.

The transfer business conducted is one aspect i would of thought would be used to praise their work and not the other way around. Themselves, Kenny and Damien transformed the squad with investment and scouting. You may disagree with some signings but the amount of work put in to reshaping the squad must be commended more than anything.
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #2682: Feb 14, 2012 05:50:58 pm
      Actually wanted sheik mohammed prior to hicks and Gillette crouch. Football is not a normal business you will not make money without investing yourself.  You can throw lim at me all you want if it makes you feel better crouch wont change a thing. Never have being a major fan of Fsg to be honest.

They investment in the playing side has being minimal where exactly is the stadium see even spurs are making announcements today. The fact they are so interested in cost cutting as well.  People need to look at the correlation with wages and winning things. They know zero about football and ain't football fans.

Stick to what im saying we will not win a league with them as owners but like arsenal we will be a well run business.

lmao, you complain that all the money we spent on transfers all comes from transfers sent out, then compare us to Arsenal who for a few good couple seasons now have been in the green after the transfer window is done

not sure if serious??

in their first season as owners of the club their is nothing that you can draw from what they have done to make the comparison to Arsenal and label us a "business" rather than a football club

the cost cutting was very much important, when you have the likes of El Zhar, Jovanivic, Poulsen, Konchescky, Degen among others on 30k-70k contracts per week than you got a problem
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2683: Feb 14, 2012 06:00:30 pm
      Ya and what exactly have arsenal won. We were outspend by utd chelsea and utd in the summer wh o already had stronger teams then us. I dont mind the players you mentioned leaving but i do mind aquilani and meireles leaving. Meireles should have being given the raise he asked for as we saved the money elsewhere.  I know hind sight is a great thing but the decision to let both aquilani and meireles go has being a disaster. Agree with anny i think Fsg whole plan is based on the financial fair play other wise we will really struggle to compete financially
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #2684: Feb 14, 2012 06:02:24 pm

I could not disagree with you more.

Many teams cut the wage bill or cut costs where unnecessary funds are being used and that can mean more invested into the playing staff.

I don't even agree with you that we are purposely cutting the wage bill. Last summer we sold or loaned out a lot of the deadwood on excess wages. Players that were on a ridiculous amounts of money from the stupidity of the past owners.

Players such as:

Poulson
      Cole
      Aquliani
      El zar
      Kyrgiakos
      Jovanovic

That is a lorry load of wasted funds, who we have managed to offload or loan out, to reduce our wage bill.

FSG pay for VALUE, they have done it for the red sox. They aren't afraid to pay big money for players as long as they're worth it. They have removed the players whose wages are just excess and not worth its value, and in turn, gave our star players who deserve the big money brand new spanking contract.

Players such as:

Steven Gerrard
      Glen Johnson
      Lucas Levia

Three very important players, who have obviously received pay increases. Also Jack Robinson and Raheem Sterling, two of our best youngsters signing new contracts.

FSG will pay big money, just as long as they're worth the money. We will not pay stupid wages for players who are obviously not good enough.

I find it outrageous that you use the fact we've cut our annual wage bill as a criticism considering they've gave brand new contracts to our star players and removed the players on wages whom they don't deserve the money.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2685: Feb 14, 2012 06:17:04 pm
      We cut 30 million off the wage bill that was put toward anything unless you consider their net spend zero. I dont know the answer to this but wondering does someone else when was the last time a team whose wage bill was out side top four won a league. And we dont know if they will sanction big wages in football yet because their is no evidence of it.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #2686: Feb 14, 2012 06:19:59 pm
      And we dont know if they will sanction big wages in football yet because their is no evidence of it.

Here's some evidence: they've just gave our most expensive player on the most wages out of anyone on our team a brand new contract?
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #2687: Feb 14, 2012 06:24:03 pm
      Hum that wages cut also included selling Torres (who wanted to leave no problem) and more importantly Mereiles (who was asking for a pay rise, and would have probably stayed with it).

Finally loaning Cole out, just when Aquilani and Mereiles were removed too, to replace them with players like Downing and Adam may or not have been a clever decision (can't say I'm really convinced by these choices so far, but it will eventually be better for long term).

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2688: Feb 14, 2012 06:35:25 pm
      Just deleted my post Cor because its just not worth arguing over things that are not going to happen but I honestly find many of your comments and opinions exactly opposite of the idea of getting behind the club.

"We will never win under FSG mark my words"

"I cannot lie, I wish Rafa was the manager."

add absolutely nothing to a debate and show very little support to those that read it day after day.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2689: Feb 14, 2012 06:35:42 pm
      FSG have acknowledged the Arsenal model.That being the case dont expect the leap of investment we needed to bridge the gap.
      Arsenal may be a good financial model but as a successful team on the field they have won nothing for 6 or more years.I think FSG are playing the long game and hoping the new financial rules will help us but I find that a tad niave as the likes of City and Chelsea will find a way around them and City with their ground sponsorship have already shown they will find ways to flount the regulations.
      The stadium seems as far away as ever is it a new build or refurb who know's.
      The wage bill has been cut as it needed to be but lets not kid ourselves that FSG have ploughed vast fortunes into the club.
      I forsee at least a frustrating 4 or 5 years yet before there plans start to come to fruition.The added complications since FSG have arrived is that SPurs and City have emerged as stronger teams making the fight for top 4 now betweeen 6 or 7 teams.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2690: Feb 14, 2012 06:43:04 pm
      FSG have acknowledged the Arsenal model.That being the case dont expect the leap of investment we needed to bridge the gap.
      Arsenal may be a good financial model but as a successful team on the field they have won nothing for 6 or more years.I think FSG are playing the long game and hoping the new financial rules will help us but I find that a tad niave as the likes of City and Chelsea will find a way around them and City with their ground sponsorship have already shown they will find ways to flount the regulations.
      The stadium seems as far away as ever is it a new build or refurb who know's.
      The wage bill has been cut as it needed to be but lets not kid ourselves that FSG have ploughed vast fortunes into the club.
      I forsee at least a frustrating 4 or 5 years yet before there plans start to come to fruition.The added complications since FSG have arrived is that SPurs and City have emerged as stronger teams making the fight for top 4 now betweeen 6 or 7 teams.

Well its been how many years since we won the league Walton? I suppose if the plans come to fruition in 4 or 5 years then so be it. You had mentioned just Sunday you would rather see LFC down in the Npower vs. caving into corporate sponsors or having to answer to the rest of the world, so if you are as patient with those points than 4 or 5 years would be a drop in the bucket.

Business run by businessmen

Toy of the rich run by the elite.

Either way we are a business or we buy our titles either way somebody is going to get their nose bent out of shape.

Walton what was happening with H&G was going to bury this club, it was fraudulent and underhanded dealings taking place; this is a lot different.

Don't like to compare baseball to football? The New York Yankees of Baseball have the highest payroll of any club in globally. They have a higher payroll than Real Madrid, Barcelona, ManUtd, Citeh and Chelsea. Yet somehow despite the fact FSG managed to beat this payroll and over a decade have more success than this payroll.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/post/The-10-highest-paid-sports-teams-in-the-world?urn=top,230688

You can't make the argument that football is different than other sports and then turn around and say its all about how much money you spend its either one or another a combination or none of the above.

Modify message
      « Last Edit: Feb 14, 2012 06:58:08 pm by AZPatriot »

Quick Reply