Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2644223 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: New Owners of LFC
      Reply #2806: Mar 12, 2012 04:00:04 pm
      We should never be compared to man city our owners will not spend a fraction of what Citys owners have.  That is why we cannot make the same mistakes city have in the transfer market

That wasn't the comparison I was making Corb. I'm talking about the type of player to take you to that next level as rightly so the real top players won't come to a side not in the champions league.

All clubs make mistakes in the transfer market I don't think you will ever find one that doesn't.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #2807: Mar 12, 2012 04:02:03 pm
      Did Man City bring players in on their first or second bout of spending to win them the league..?

Plenty of top quality players will want to come to us. It will just take a bit of time.
      Another example of fans who have no patience.

The difference is I'd still support and be behind the club if we were in league 2.
      The problem with your argument is last summer we wanted Phil Jones and Ashley Young, we were favorites to get both and yet they ended up at Man U, if we don't make the top 4 the player will go to the teams who have made it into the CL and we will always end up having to buy the second rate players, the silly thing is in some cases these second raters cost about the same as the first choices.

Please stop trying to play the super supporter, it is belittling     
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2808: Mar 12, 2012 04:09:41 pm
      The problem with your argument is last summer we wanted Phil Jones and Ashley Young, we were favorites to get both and yet they ended up at Man U, if we don't make the top 4 the player will go to the teams who have made it into the CL and we will always end up having to buy the second rate players, the silly thing is in some cases these second raters cost about the same as the first choices.

Please stop trying to play the super supporter, it is belittling   

I'm not trying to be anything, I support the way I've always supported and that won't change.
      I'm not suggesting I'm a super supporter, never would.

We were reportedly in for numerous players.. I'm not going to comment in Mata, Jones, Young or whoever because I wasn't there during the conversations at the club or with any players. And neither does anybody else.

I don't though believe half the stuff in the press.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #2809: Mar 12, 2012 04:23:19 pm
      I'm not trying to be anything, I support the way I've always supported and that won't change.
      I'm not suggesting I'm a super supporter, never would.

We were reportedly in for numerous players.. I'm not going to comment in Mata, Jones, Young or whoever because I wasn't there during the conversations at the club or with any players. And neither does anybody else.

I don't though believe half the stuff in the press.
      So you didn't make out you were a super supporter, just a better supporter than me ?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2810: Mar 12, 2012 04:26:33 pm
      So you didn't make out you were a super supporter, just a better supporter than me ?

Different not better.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2811: Mar 16, 2012 09:43:18 am
      No video or marketing exercise will make up for not getting into the CL (so far as being able to attract the best player), it is possible that a few player could be stupid enough to fool for a bit of slick marketing but unfortunately almost every play has an agent who couldn't care about our history or the project, £ are all that counts

Okay Eddie, I'm a bit confused here; on the one hand you tell us we won't be able to attract the best players because we won't be in the Champions League yet, on the other, you tell us pounds are all that counts. So what is it? What attracts top players; money or Champions League football?

If you were F.S.G. what would you do? How would you go about getting the Champions League football which (you say) is needed if we are to attract the best players?

I mean; if your Champions League theory is right then all the money in the world won't make a difference. If your Champions League theory is right then surely we can only buy from the 'middle shelf' when we go shopping.

If that is, as you say, the case then everyone who's hoping for F.S.G. to buy top quality players are wasting their time. Given your theory; those people should not only aim a bit lower in player expectations but also accept that F.S.G. can't spend big.

Eddie it's clear to anyone who reads your posts that you are anything but enamoured with F.S.G. - fair enough but what exactly is it you want from them?  :-\

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #2812: Mar 16, 2012 09:55:13 am
      True enough mouse and the perfect example are citeh, they have spent like it's going out of fashion yet trail in the Prem to a team who cannot beat a side who are 7th placed in the Spanish league, not foregoing the fact that they weren't in the CL when they acquired some of the worlds' supposed top players.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2813: Mar 16, 2012 10:09:25 am
      Spending 300 million doesn't guarentee you anything,it does suggest you eventually will do, but it isnt the only way to do it.
      I'm convinced we don't need to spend that amount to compete to win the league, it's about signing the right players and us sorting our own consistency out, we have proved that this current squad can compete with the top sides in the league it's about now being consistent against the so called "lesser sides", if we sign the "right players" we can be right up there.

Don't forget when we signed Xabi he cost £10.6 million.. Sami cost £2.6 million.. Didi cost £8 million... Academy graduates cost nothing.. And we have had loads who have become great players from there over the years.

With the right two or three players we can be up there, don't fall into the trap they have to cost 100 million for them to be right.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #2814: Mar 16, 2012 01:20:58 pm
      Okay Eddie, I'm a bit confused here; on the one hand you tell us we won't be able to attract the best players because we won't be in the Champions League yet, on the other, you tell us pounds are all that counts. So what is it? What attracts top players; money or Champions League football?

If you were F.S.G. what would you do? How would you go about getting the Champions League football which (you say) is needed if we are to attract the best players?

I mean; if your Champions League theory is right then all the money in the world won't make a difference. If your Champions League theory is right then surely we can only buy from the 'middle shelf' when we go shopping.

If that is, as you say, the case then everyone who's hoping for F.S.G. to buy top quality players are wasting their time. Given your theory; those people should not only aim a bit lower in player expectations but also accept that F.S.G. can't spend big.

Eddie it's clear to anyone who reads your posts that you are anything but enamoured with F.S.G. - fair enough but what exactly is it you want from them?  :-\

The quote you used was in response to Soxfan saying we could attract players with a bit of slick marketing, I was saying players could be fooled but there agents would not. I was saying it is the agents who only care about money

And while we all know there are no guarantees the more you spend the better your chances of winning.

If I was FSG would have started building the new stadium within 6 months of being here, I would have worked like a b***ard getting the finances together.

When ever I was asked about winning the league I would say "I expect to win it every year" and I would mean it.

I would have employed a proper Managing Director and let Ian Ayre get on with what he is good at, being a financial director and I would have employed a PR manager as soon as the old one left.

As for on the field issues I do not blame anyone to be quite honest things are OK but not great, every time you buy a player it is a risk some come off some don't

It is not impossible for us to win the league by just spending the money we make but it is very difficult if we are to do it we need to strong in all departments both on and off the field,

On the field we are very close to having a PL winning team, the problem is we have been very close to having  PL wining team for the past 20 years

It is off the field that give me reason to be concerned, FSG are not employing the right people at this moment and they have taken to long to deciding what they are going to do about the stadium.

If they start building a new stadium I will have a lot of humble pie to eat and if they get the front office in order I will have even more humble pie to eat, I will happily eat it knowing that my club is going in the right direction but as of yet I am still waiting

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #2815: Mar 16, 2012 03:05:19 pm
                              ^                                   ^
      You are describing an almost perfect formulae for a successful commercial venture in a wider context.
      The practicalities of achieving a perfect scenario in any business enterprise a fraught with immeasurable difficulty and the target is invariably unnachievable.
      Reallistically the many components of the business need to be addressed and improved over a time scale, not foregoing impacting factors such as the present financial downturn/upturn/fluctuating global markets/wildly differing fluctuating business forecasts - any of these factors would discourage investors causing them to take a deep breathe and watch their purse strings. Your advice is not much use in that situation.
      « Last Edit: Mar 16, 2012 03:42:11 pm by stuey »
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #2816: Mar 16, 2012 05:58:56 pm
                              ^                                   ^
      You are describing an almost perfect formulae for a successful commercial venture in a wider context.
      The practicalities of achieving a perfect scenario in any business enterprise a fraught with immeasurable difficulty and the target is invariably unnachievable.
      Reallistically the many components of the business need to be addressed and improved over a time scale, not foregoing impacting factors such as the present financial downturn/upturn/fluctuating global markets/wildly differing fluctuating business forecasts - any of these factors would discourage investors causing them to take a deep breathe and watch their purse strings. Your advice is not much use in that situation.
      Stuey, I honestly believe if a team is going to win the league without extra investment they are going to have to be pretty much perfect in every department, if you are not able to get very close to perfection you will never win the league without massive revenue  ( new stadium) or a deep pocket. 
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2817: Mar 16, 2012 07:22:04 pm
      Stuey, I honestly believe if a team is going to win the league without extra investment they are going to have to be pretty much perfect in every department, if you are not able to get very close to perfection you will never win the league without massive revenue  ( new stadium) or a deep pocket. 

Don't disagree at all with this, we don't have the deep pockets of City nor do we have 75,000 capacity like the old toliet. To me the stadium is the number one  no kit deal or sponsorship is going to overcome that deficit.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2818: Mar 16, 2012 07:38:46 pm
      The stadium is key for me, whichever way they decide to go with it a decision needs to be made soon.

I dont agree that they should have come in and started building one after 6 months, the last lot made promises they couldnt keep or had looked into. I firmly belive that NESV are looking into it from evry angle and deeply before they jump in with a decision.
      The Clean up of the season ticket list, the new way of buying tickets in blocks all makes me think that they are trying to find the true demand of tickets to see what capacity is required.
      And im sure they are looking at potential investors (naming rights etc) behind the scenes that rightly so we shouldnt be aware of.
      Id rather they were sure of which way to go before promising things and not being able to deliver.

Having said that a decision one way or the other needs making.. And i think its reasonable to expect that this year..

ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #2819: Mar 16, 2012 07:43:43 pm
      The stadium is key for me, whichever way they decide to go with it a decision needs to be made soon.

I dont agree that they should have come in and started building one after 6 months, the last lot made promises they couldnt keep or had looked into. I firmly belive that NESV are looking into it from evry angle and deeply before they jump in with a decision.
      The Clean up of the season ticket list, the new way of buying tickets in blocks all makes me think that they are trying to find the true demand of tickets to see what capacity is required.
      And im sure they are looking at potential investors (naming rights etc) behind the scenes that rightly so we shouldnt be aware of.
      Id rather they were sure of which way to go before promising things and not being able to deliver.

Having said that a decision one way or the other needs making.. And i think its reasonable to expect that this year..

Agree with all of this, but I also feel that they'll have been here 18 months in the summer which means it should be make your mind up time.

Off-season is the best time to set up new marketing deals such as stadium sponsorship and so on, like we were never going to switch from Adidas to Warrior in January.

They've had time, done the surveys, it's make your mind up time.

I would like an honest statement saying what they've decided and basic chronology during the summer, else I'll be a bit nervous.

EDIT: Just read the last sentence, so agree fully! :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2820: Mar 16, 2012 07:51:59 pm

The part in bold is the key as far as the stadium is concerned for me as I've thought that they are only delaying the decision/announcement until they are satisfied the correct one has been made but agree that some sort of decision needs to be made at some stage this year and the summer makes most sense as Ayrton says.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2821: Mar 16, 2012 07:58:46 pm
      When I said this year I meant but said wrongly before the start of next season..

They will be fully aware of George Gillett's 60 days rubbish... And they in my opinion are saying nothing until they are fully aware that they can back it up.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2822: Mar 16, 2012 08:01:06 pm
      Lets hope that NESV are doing things quietly and have adopted  the Liverpool way.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2823: Mar 16, 2012 08:02:48 pm
      When I said this year I meant but said wrongly before the start of next season..

They will be fully aware of George Gillett's 60 days rubbish... And they in my opinion are saying nothing until they are fully aware that they can back it up.

I thought so.

I'm happy to help wait on any stadium announcement as I would rather they make the right decision rather than rush it and get it wrong.

The stadium is an important issue but one that will have long term impact on the club and therefore shouldn't be rushed.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2824: Mar 16, 2012 08:57:01 pm
      Really need to make a decision on the stadium soon. Find it a bit strange ayre saying today they were prefer to invest in players than a stadium.  They hardly breaking the bank with there transfer spend and i find it a bit strange ayre s is linking them. Moores originally sold because he didn't have the funds to build a new stadium. How many years are we now down the line and we appear no closer to a new stadium.  At this stage it appears to me Fsg dont have the financial resources to fund a new stadium and are basically hoping some sponsors gives them the money to build it. 
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #2825: Mar 16, 2012 09:04:31 pm
      Really need to make a decision on the stadium soon. Find it a bit strange ayre saying today they were prefer to invest in players than a stadium.  They hardly breaking the bank with there transfer spend and i find it a bit strange ayre s is linking them. Moores originally sold because he didn't have the funds to build a new stadium. How many years are we now down the line and we appear no closer to a new stadium.  At this stage it appears to me Fsg dont have the financial resources to fund a new stadium and are basically hoping some sponsors gives them the money to build it. 
      That"s about right corbs, they haven"t really splashed the cash , they do bring stability with them though , i personally think that they want Kenny to deliver CL then they might spend.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2826: Mar 16, 2012 09:15:33 pm
      I agree that it is vital to get the new stadium built as soon as possible, but it is no point building a new stadium that will hold possibly 65000, if the team can't fill it most weeks. So there are arguments that say get the team right first, get us back in the CL on a regular basis and challenging for the title.

I do agree that there are doubts that FSG can afford to fund the stadium without sponsorship, but I think that has always been the idea, to sell naming rights to the stadium.

I can't pretend I am not worried, because I am, but you do have to give them time.   
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2827: Mar 16, 2012 09:47:46 pm

I think they want a naming partner deal that will cover 40-50% of the stadium cost, pretty average over here and I think that is something similar to what the gunners did.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2828: Mar 16, 2012 10:15:02 pm
      Arsenal incorporated the shirt sponsorship in it and recieved a 100million. In this day and age dont think anyone is going to give them what they want. That is why there is inaction without regular champions league football which arsenal had we wont match there deal. Without serious transfer spend there wont be regular champions league football. Catch  22 which wont be solved either way with out serious spending by Fsg. Think that realisation is starting to hit home when i see what ayres has said

Quick Reply