Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Alan Hansen: Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson must be more adventurous after defeat

Read 3064 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Alan Hansen: Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson must be more adventurous after defeat
      Sep 20, 2010 09:28:10 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/alanhansen/8012403/Alan-Hansen-Liverpool-manager-Roy-Hodgson-must-be-more-adventurous-after-defeat.html

Roy Hodgson is beginning to reap what Rafael Benítez sowed in his final 18 months. When he replaced Benítez as manager of Liverpool, Hodgson accepted an incredibly hard job because he was left with a team that, while not in total disarray, simply were not good enough.

Published: 6:30AM BST 20 Sep 2010

If you set out to challenge for a Champions League position and finish in seventh, then the team are clearly not up to requirements.

Hodgson knew the task facing him at Liverpool when he left Fulham, and you have to say that he has already cleared out some of the dead wood and replaced those players with better personnel. But it is all about results, and when they are not going your way, people will begin to ask questions.

After the defeat at Manchester United, it is clear that Liverpool are still suffering from the same problems away from home that they have had for a while.

They were abysmal away from Anfield last season and have only managed one point from three away games so far in this campaign.

Having come back from 2-0 down to make it 2-2 at Old Trafford, I expected Liverpool automatically to go deeper and deeper and that is what they did.

Just like in last season’s defeat at United, instead of defending the 18-yard box and keeping the opposition away from goal, Liverpool dropped back until they were on top of the goalkeeper – and they paid the price when Dimitar Berbatov scored the winner.

What Liverpool have to do away from home, certainly against lesser opposition, is become more adventurous and try to get some positive results.

The big concern, just five games into the season, is that Liverpool already find themselves 10 points behind Chelsea because, at the outset of the campaign, there was real optimism that they could put up a good show in the title race.

After ending the last campaign in doom and gloom, there was a lot of hope at Anfield generated by the signing of Joe Cole and the announcements by both Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard that they were staying at the club.

It was a lift for everybody and, with a couple of good signings in Raul Meireles and Christian Poulsen, the outlook appeared much brighter.

I am not saying that I expected Liverpool to win the title, but I certainly believed they could put up a decent show. You have to say that the hope and optimism has diminished after just five games.

Progress has been made by Hodgson, but despite the reality that his players will take time to gel into a team, results are everything.

After 20 years in the doldrums since Liverpool last won the league, the fans are desperate for that to end, but it has to be tempered with the realisation that any new manager needs time.

Hodgson will be looking at 18 months to two years to shape his team, because you cannot get success straight away. He will get time, but on the pitch it is a case of the players simply having to keep going and maintain the belief. It is what we did in the 1970s ’80s, whenever things were not going for us.

In mitigation, you can say that Liverpool have had a difficult run, with games against Arsenal, Manchester City and United, plus a tough trip to Birmingham, who have a tremendous home record.

A tough start can show how good you are or highlight just how far you have to go and, at this stage, you would have to say that the latter has been borne out.

But the fact remains that Liverpool now have what they would view as winnable games coming up at Anfield, against Sunderland and Blackpool, before they face Everton at Goodison Park.

In those home games, they must look to become more offensive and get back to the Liverpool of two years ago, when they went at teams and hemmed in opponents.

But after starting the season believing that Liverpool could challenge again, the situation now is that they are thinking, ‘Can we get fourth?’ rather than anything more ambitious.

So despite the positives that Hodgson has already brought in his time as manager, the story so far is mixed and the emotions of the supporters are fluctuating between high and low.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Alan Hansen: Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson must be more adventurous after defeat
      Reply #1: Sep 20, 2010 09:47:37 pm
      Did Alan Hansen just call Poulsen a good signing?

But you must agree with his message, which we've all stated. The bleak outlook is, with Woy's away record in the PL it doesn't look like getting better.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Re: Alan Hansen: Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson must be more adventurous after defeat
      Reply #2: Sep 20, 2010 09:49:32 pm
      I tought he had a pretty attacking looking team yeaterday.Every other team play 5 in midfield away from home.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3: Sep 20, 2010 09:51:29 pm
      The thought of Hodgson having 18 months to two years to shape his team depresses me.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,584 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #4: Sep 20, 2010 09:56:33 pm
      Ahhhh too many depressing threads- my head is going to explode!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Sep 20, 2010 09:56:40 pm
      The thought of Hodgson having 18 months to two years to shape his team depresses me.

Don't worry about it mate he'll be collecting his free bus pass and claiming cold weather payments in 3 years.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Sep 20, 2010 09:58:31 pm
      Ahhhh too many depressing threads- my head is going to explode!

Part and parcel of following this club :(
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #7: Sep 20, 2010 11:42:20 pm
      Agger says Roys doesn't want the defence to play football, that is depressing. What are they supposed to do
      for 90 minutes.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Sep 21, 2010 12:02:22 am
      Agger says Roys doesn't want the defence to play football, that is depressing. What are they supposed to do
      for 90 minutes.

Play passy with Lucas and Poulsen of course. ;D
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #9: Sep 21, 2010 12:07:46 am
      Don't worry, the way things are going mate, I seriously doubt he'll last that long.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #10: Sep 21, 2010 01:53:30 am
      Don't worry about it mate he'll be collecting his free bus pass and claiming cold weather payments in 3 years.
      Lmao

The frustrating thing about this is that we actually have the players to be adventurous.

Gerrard, Torres, Cole, Babel, Merelies..

Some teams would kill to have players like that in their starting 11, our inability to utilise them effectivly though makes me feel like smashing my head in to the keyboard while im writing this

iajs9h7HSAH7SgassBSFArsd ASB7gasg7AS7834RHa
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #11: Sep 21, 2010 02:00:13 am
      Hansen blaming the poor squad on Rafa? He can F**k off. Don't care what he says cos his opinion means F**k all to me if he can't get the basics right.

Go back to London and stick to making hilarious jokes on Match Of The Day.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #12: Sep 21, 2010 02:19:32 am
      IRWT
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #13: Sep 21, 2010 03:10:57 am
      Got as far as 18 months ago then read the rest of the article with contempt.  18 months ago, we were real title contenders for the first time in a very long time.  Thanks for the memories Mr. Hansen, you were a legend of your day but stop accepting paychecks to sh*t on the club you love or get informed, one or the other.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,147 posts | 1619 
      Reply #14: Oct 19, 2010 12:03:15 am
      In another article with Hansen, can't remember where, he slated Torres and states 'The last few seasons he would get the ball, take on 3 players and get a goal, now he passes back to the midfield'

Most pathetic criticism I have ever seen, he expects Nando to beat 3 players everytime he gets the ball? Shove your opinions up your arse Hansen, nows no time for so called legends to start supporting Roy because he's a good media guy.

Quick Reply