Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Pre season nothing

Read 1725 times
      Barnsie_04
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 7 posts |
      Pre season nothing
      Jul 23, 2007 06:32:40 pm
      I can understand that Liverpool want to sell the brand through playing random games in random countries, but why can they not play atleast one first team pre season game at Anfield. We are always left with the second and third elevens playing at small teams, whilst the closest we ever get to stevie and the red troops is in the pub or at home feet away from a television. the last game i can remember was against valencia. Liverpool have strong bonds with so many big teams such as Juventus, M,Gladback, Celtic. Barcelona are in scotland. Surley Liverpool can put together a high quality pre season match at Anfield to rally the fans for the coming season. Any thoughts
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Re: Pre season nothing
      Reply #1: Jul 23, 2007 07:24:59 pm
      Good point.  I think back to the likes of that game against Valencia. A terrific pre-season game - really got the Anfield faithful in the mood. 

Surely the players need to hear the Anfield roar one time before they turn up at Villa Park.

There are tens of thousands of fans in this country who struggle to get to Anfield week in week out, and as far as I am concerned the club needs to remember which side their bread is buttered on and treat us to a couple of curtain raisers at Anfield.

Surely it must help to settle the nerves of the new players too.

I would imagine most of the other big Premiership clubs do the same.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Jul 23, 2007 10:18:10 pm
      That is something to think about. I remember Inter Milan coming to Anfield for a pre season game which was great as well. About eight or nine years ago? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ince scored against them?

Maybe something to do with marketing our club overseas has a lot to do with it, which is seen as very important these days. I know it sounds silly saying we're promoting ourselves, but that's what it is in essance. Random games in random countries brings the possiblity of random Liverpool shirts being sold and making more fans. That combined with having to play Champions League qualifiers which take up some pre season time, for a number of years?

I think one major point is the importance of new signings getting the feel for the Anfield crowd though. You'd hope that's one of the biggest reasons for them coming to us in the first place and it would be great for a lot of reds to get a taste of what's to come.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 23, 2007 10:39:32 pm
      Unfortunately the club doesn't see this as financial viable,the club is getting £1m pound per game in the far east and we are promoting the club.  ,also it gives the groundsman extra time to prepare.Maybe a neutral venue in this country would give people a change to see their heroes.However most major clubs in this Europe want to do tours and not one off games,hence the Amsterdam and Rotterdam tournaments.We have to move with the times,what about all the empty seats at the Carling cup games?People can attend these games to support the lads and visit the mecca of football.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #4: Jul 23, 2007 11:05:20 pm
      And how much did they get for the games in Switzerland? £1 million each? More than they could get from a game at Anfield?

I can understand the Far East tour don't get me wrong - but just one game at Anfield really isn't too much to ask.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #5: Jul 23, 2007 11:06:58 pm
      We will probably have to wait for the new ground to open first.
      Then we would probably kick off the pre season there with a tournament of our own.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #6: Jul 24, 2007 02:14:37 pm
      I was at the Valencia friendly a few years ago! Cracking day out, good for the kids and got us all in the mood for the upcoming season!

I think the primary thing for the organisers is to spread the profile of the club so it might be a few years before we get one! As mentioned earlier, probably the new stadium!
      Barnsie_04
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 7 posts |
      Reply #7: Jul 24, 2007 09:58:39 pm
      I hear what you are saying boys, but if waiting for the new stadium is the best we can hope for, again i think the powers that be have missed the point. new stadium means no more Anfield. The grand old lady has done us proud and i believe her last years should be celebrated with a feast of great games and that includes pre season games. OUR PROFILE is OUR HISTORY, we dont need to go any where to show the brand, BRING THE BOYS HOME.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #8: Jul 25, 2007 07:26:30 am
      On reflection - it was our best game so far of the summer.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,244 posts | 8576 
      Reply #9: Jul 25, 2007 01:55:57 pm
      During our greatness era, did we ever play any pre-season friendlies at anfield - the only games that were played were testimonials

As for thje games in Switzerland is that not because of the training camp we've been to every season under rafa.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #10: Jul 25, 2007 03:11:59 pm
      Cardiff are the same, only 1 pre season at home :(
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #11: Jul 25, 2007 04:05:17 pm
      During our greatness era, did we ever play any preseason friendlies at anfield - the only games that were played were testimonials

As for the games in Switzerland is that not because of the training camp we've been to every season under Rafa.

The only preseason games at home that I can remember was vs. Inter Milan, (Paul Ince thingy) and against Valencia a few seasons ago. As far as I can remember we have never played much in the way of games at home, we used to play in Norway a lot of the time back in the '80's and it was damn difficult to get the results as there was no internet or satellite TV!.....it was hard back then, we used to live in a box in the gutter too! (Monty Python if anyone didn't know)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,244 posts | 8576 
      Reply #12: Jul 25, 2007 04:34:12 pm
      Nice one red puppy, don't forget the occasional games in Ireland as well

Wasn't the friendly part of the deal when Ince signed for us?

Also, we've had friendlies against parma (5-0) and lazio (everyone there thinking cheyrou really was the next zidane.

Also anyone remember that four team tournament we had with Everton, Borussia Moenchengladbach and Porto, us and the blues shitting out of a penalty shootout in the 3rd and 4th place match on the sunday at goodison.

Plus anyone ever remember the International friendly? we played against Denmark at Anfield around February of 87, Jan Molby playing first half for the danes, then playing the 2nd half for the reds.

That made danish strip that was white with the picture of a red cow on it, still got the proey somewhere from that one.

Quick Reply