Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Pundits and Commentators

Read 438259 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Re: Pundits and Commentators.
      Reply #299: Apr 17, 2014 06:14:04 pm
      Here in the US on NBCSports where the EPL games are televised we get an in studio group consisting of Robbie Earle, Robbie Mustoe and Rebecca Lowe. I don't know much about the backgrounds of Earle and Mustoe but they seem to know what they are talking about, and they seem to be mostly un-biased. Very impressed with Rebecca Lowe...she seems to have her stuff together.

The one thing I don't like is that I've had to listen to Tim Howard do play by play on at least two of  Liverpools games now. Makes no sense to me whatsoever....gonna have the keeper for one of our fiercest rivals call our games???????? He's not horribly biased but he basically shows no emotion and is pretty boring to listen to.

Robbie Earle used to work for ITV over here but got fu**ed off for some ticket scandal where he was found out to be flogging tickets for the World Cup. Always found him sh*t if I'm honest. As for Robbie Mustoe, they must be scraping the barrel for him to have a job. I don't even think most football fans will know who he is. Some sh*t midfield from the 90s for Middlesbrough. Can't comment on his punditry work as I've never heard him. If that Rebecca Lowe is the bird I think she is, she used to do a bit over here for ESPN where all she did was get in the way when the players tried coming out the tunnel (cue some pr**k on here to make a sexual reference there)

Going back though, Martin F***ing Tyler. If there's a more biased c**t against us I've yet to hear them. He can't wait to constantly put us down, constantly scream for the opposition whenever they go forward and just all round a total tw*t. Peter Beagrie is just one miserable c**t, sounds like he's about to burst into tears every time he speaks. Matt Murray sounds like he's reading it off a card. Neil Mellor, ex Red, just has no excitement in his voice. I don't find Kammy particularly entertaining anymore. Not everything in the world is "unbelievable". Danny Mills is just thick as sh*t, Kevin Kilbane is another thick as sh*t tw*t, actually don't like Kompany when he's on Match of the Day but more to do with the way the others F***ing patronise him. Peter Reid is another I find annoying. He's one of those Scousers who thinks every time he opens his mouth he has to crack a joke. Ray Parlour is another gobs***e, always wants to put a dig in.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #300: Apr 17, 2014 06:32:33 pm
      Here in the US on NBCSports where the EPL games are televised we get an in studio group consisting of Robbie Earle, Robbie Mustoe and Rebecca Lowe. I don't know much about the backgrounds of Earle and Mustoe but they seem to know what they are talking about, and they seem to be mostly un-biased. Very impressed with Rebecca Lowe...she seems to have her stuff together.

The one thing I don't like is that I've had to listen to Tim Howard do play by play on at least two of  Liverpools games now. Makes no sense to me whatsoever....gonna have the keeper for one of our fiercest rivals call our games???????? He's not horribly biased but he basically shows no emotion and is pretty boring to listen to.

Could be because the LFC matches this year have been the featured matches on NBC and Howard is the USMNT goalie and nothing more. He has been pretty unbiased (if anything he has praised his local rivals quite a bit for the style of play and effort)
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #301: Apr 17, 2014 06:57:30 pm

F**k! Oh well, fair enough, don't remember any of this as I was 7 at the time.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #302: Apr 17, 2014 07:04:45 pm
      Robbie Earle used to work for ITV over here but got fu**ed off for some ticket scandal where he was found out to be flogging tickets for the World Cup. Always found him sh*t if I'm honest. As for Robbie Mustoe, they must be scraping the barrel for him to have a job. I don't even think most football fans will know who he is. Some sh*t midfield from the 90s for Middlesbrough. Can't comment on his punditry work as I've never heard him. If that Rebecca Lowe is the bird I think she is, she used to do a bit over here for ESPN where all she did was get in the way when the players tried coming out the tunnel (cue some pr**k on here to make a sexual reference there)

Going back though, Martin f**king Tyler. If there's a more biased c**t against us I've yet to hear them. He can't wait to constantly put us down, constantly scream for the opposition whenever they go forward and just all round a total tw*t. Peter Beagrie is just one miserable c**t, sounds like he's about to burst into tears every time he speaks. Matt Murray sounds like he's reading it off a card. Neil Mellor, ex Red, just has no excitement in his voice. I don't find Kammy particularly entertaining anymore. Not everything in the world is "unbelievable". Danny Mills is just thick as sh*t, Kevin Kilbane is another thick as sh*t tw*t, actually don't like Kompany when he's on Match of the Day but more to do with the way the others f**king patronise him. Peter Reid is another I find annoying. He's one of those Scousers who thinks every time he opens his mouth he has to crack a joke. Ray Parlour is another gobs***e, always wants to put a dig in.

It seems everyone shares that opinion about Martin Tyler. Numerous opposition fans were complaining about his alleged bias in our match v City at the weekend. According to some it was a surprise that he wasn't on the pitch celebrating with us at the end. In fairness to Tyler I think he just gets caught up in the home atmosphere wherever he's commentating. Never had a problem with him and hopefully I never will.

Shearer is alwful. He brings nothing to MOTD. He's just a cliché machine, with the kind of simplistic analysis I could get from any half arsed football fan in a bar.

I don't dislike the guy but I hate when he's on. Very rarely says anything of interest.

Such a phenomenal player as well which makes it even more disappointing. Michael Owen likewise, although I think he's got the ability to be a good studio analyst as I saw from his most recent MOTD 2 appearance. He's just not that great at co commentating though. Not great at all.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #303: Apr 17, 2014 07:10:52 pm
      the problem with all of them is they have been stuck up fergusons arse for so long they can no longer be anything but biased
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #304: Apr 17, 2014 10:31:18 pm
      I used to really like James Richardson, who done Chanel 4's Italian Football coverage, as a presenter.

Not sure what he does now apart from the Guardian podcast.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #305: Apr 18, 2014 12:44:10 am
      the problem with all of them is they have been stuck up fergusons arse for so long they can no longer be anything but biased

Not true of Alan Green, but he seems a bit marmite, you either love him or hate him.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #306: Apr 18, 2014 12:45:34 am
      I like marmite, and Alan Green !
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #307: Apr 18, 2014 02:03:56 am
      I used to really like James Richardson, who done Chanel 4's Italian Football coverage, as a presenter.

Not sure what he does now apart from the Guardian podcast.

He's a BT Sport presenter now. Presents coverage of Serie A there and other continental football material. BT Sport does a great job covering it. First time I've come across him but he seems to know his stuff. The major broadcasters (BBC and ITV) miss a trick by hiring the likes of him and others such as 5 Live's Mark Pougatch. Lineker and Adrian Chiles are only where they are because of their face recognition which is no good at all.

Not true of Alan Green, but he seems a bit marmite, you either love him or hate him.

Yeah I like Alan Green as well. Before the rapid ascension of the power of the internet and due to not owning Sky Sports, 5 Live was very much and still is a main source of football to me. I'll never forget listening to Liverpool v Olympiakos back in December 2004 along with my brother. I can still remember his commentary of Gerrard's screamer vividly. Some of my best memories growing up throughout secondary school came listening to that now desperately dated radio (was even back then come to think of it!). It is priceless to me though, such is the power those of those memories.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #308: Apr 18, 2014 02:53:43 am
      Not sure if he's been mentioned in here, but John Bradley, LFCTV's main commentator, is extremely knowledgable. His voice can grate a bit, but in terms of knowledge of the game, there aren't many better.
      MiG
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 172 posts |
      Reply #309: Apr 20, 2014 11:22:12 pm
      Danny Murphy in MotD  :lmao:
      on Everton v United  :lmao:
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #310: Apr 21, 2014 07:45:33 pm
      Neville and Carra just ripped apart our central defenders. Apparently they are dropping back far too deep which can be attributed to each of the 4 goals we've conceded in the past week
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #311: Apr 21, 2014 07:47:42 pm
      Neville and Carra just ripped apart our central defenders. Apparently they are dropping back far too deep which can be attributed to each of the 4 goals we've conceded in the past week

Seen that there and they are right. I was going crazy yesterday for them to push up!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4972 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #312: Apr 21, 2014 07:49:35 pm
      Hope Brendan was watching !

YNWA
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,165 posts | 514 
      Reply #313: Apr 21, 2014 07:59:45 pm
      Alan Green is imo a good commentator, says it as he sees it. He was commentating at Hillsborough in 89,and said some lovely words in the anniversary week.

As for Michael Owen, well the less said the better.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #314: Jun 15, 2014 10:46:25 am
      Took me a while to find this thread again and always wondered why it is in The Kop.

But anyhow what about Phil 'Thinks he's at a snooker game' Neville last night.

Truly awful.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #315: Jun 15, 2014 12:07:24 pm
      Took me a while to find this thread again and always wondered why it is in The
      But anyhow what about Phil 'Thinks he's at a snooker game' Neville last night.

Truly awful.

Aye,it was a blessing when the bloke on the tannoy came on.
      Christ almighty what a droning boring tedious fuckwit I mean who thought"hey we need some commentators for the World Cup let's get Phil Neville signed up!!!!!".
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #316: Jun 15, 2014 05:09:36 pm
      Still can't decide on who I despise the most between Townsend & Carlisle.

Also thought Shearer was totally out of order and obnoxious last night. He constantly cut in on Henry's analysis and views. Henry to his credit was coolness personified as per usual and was the only panelist who was able to string together articulate coherent sentences without any stuttering or stammering.

It would seem that regardless of how much tv coaching Shearer is receiving he's still destined to be shi*e.     
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Pundits and Commentators
      Reply #317: Jun 15, 2014 05:25:54 pm
      Lineker is alright I reckon. Liked it when they were talking at half time about the possible hand ball by Johnno and he asked Henry if he had ever gotten away with a hand ball.

Henry is great as well. Said Pirlo is that good that he probably aimed for the cross bar with that free kick.

Rio was doing his best to defend Rooney and it's obvious he thinks/knows what a sh*te manager Woy is.

Shearer was just Shearer. Don't think he's great but I can listen to and put up with him.

Phil Neville was terrible. Must have either read his Twitter feed or had a fat stripe at halftime because he perked up a tiny bit but was still boring and dull as f**k. He just seems to follow Gary and be shi**er than him in general life.

BBC over ITV all day for me. Adrian Chiles is just like an embarrassing Dad. Always trying to get a laugh out of the pundits with the shittest attempts at humour. When they do laugh it's always an awkward one where they are just thinking "what a bad f**king helmet this fella is". Shame Roy Keane left to join an even shi**er line up.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #318: Jun 15, 2014 05:37:10 pm
      ITV have done awful having Townsend and Carlisle. They thought getting Carlisle in would improve their commentary team as he's regarded as been really clever but being clever means F**k all when trying not to come across as an arrogant pr**k.

Adrian Chiles' comments about how none of the old pros took one bit of notice of him at their meal were embarrassing. He's craving attention from the likes of Seedorf etc. It's so cringing to watch.

Thierry Henry has hands down been the best analyst out of any so far. He is the definition of the world 'cool'.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #319: Jun 15, 2014 05:44:07 pm
      Lineker is alright I reckon. Liked it when they were talking at half time about the possible hand ball by Johnno and he asked Henry if he had ever gotten away with a hand ball.

Henry is great as well. Said Pirlo is that good that he probably aimed for the cross bar with that free kick.

Rio was doing his best to defend Rooney and it's obvious he thinks/knows what a sh*te manager Woy is.

Shearer was just Shearer. Don't think he's great but I can listen to and put up with him.

Phil Neville was terrible. Must have either read his Twitter feed or had a fat stripe at halftime because he perked up a tiny bit but was still boring and dull as f**k. He just seems to follow Gary and be shi**er than him in general life.

BBC over ITV all day for me. Adrian Chiles is just like an embarrassing Dad. Always trying to get a laugh out of the pundits with the shittest attempts at humour. When they do laugh it's always an awkward one where they are just thinking "what a bad f**king helmet this fella is". Shame Roy Keane left to join an even shi**er line up.

BBC Radio over BBC TV all day as well.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #320: Jun 15, 2014 06:07:23 pm
      I remember the BBC got Brendan in as a pundit for one of their MOTD 2 shows a couple of years ago. Said it at the time but it was one of the most enlightening and eloquent analysis I've ever seen on the Beeb. Even in his post match interviews Brendan's very forthright and detailed as to what Liverpool did and didn't do. It's a shame no side has found a pundit of that level.

Two guys I like on the BBC - Neil Lennon and Seedorf. Lennon displays a good grasp of the game overall and Seedorf is eloquent and intelligent.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #321: Jun 15, 2014 06:23:22 pm
      I remember the BBC got Brendan in as a pundit for one of their MOTD 2 shows a couple of years ago. Said it at the time but it was one of the most enlightening and eloquent analysis I've ever seen on the Beeb. Even in his post match interviews Brendan's very forthright and detailed as to what Liverpool did and didn't do. It's a shame no side has found a pundit of that level.

Two guys I like on the BBC - Neil Lennon and Seedorf. Lennon displays a good grasp of the game overall and Seedorf is eloquent and intelligent.

Looks like Brendan is having a fine time anyway:-

Quick Reply