Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Ryan Babel (LFC -> Hoffenheim. Now Fulham)

Read 224885 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,418 posts | 8647 
      Re: Ryan Babel Player Thread
      Reply #1035: Aug 18, 2009 04:48:51 pm
      Sway teams up with football star
      By Nesta McGregor 1Xtra entertainment reporter

UK hip hop artist Sway says work on his upcoming album is nearly complete and reveals that he's teamed up with Liverpool footballer Ryan Babel on one track. He also talks about being an 'outcast' from the UK hip hop scene and says he turned down the chance to work in America because he still has something to prove in the UK.

How's work going on your new release, The Signature LP 2?

I'm nearly there man, I've got some really nice guests on there. Obviously there's another feature from Akon on there, we have Neutrino on there - he's making a comeback - I've got Craig David on there as well. I've just done a track with Tinchy Stryder. We've done a re-make of Silver and Gold with Tinchy, and just working with all different kinds of people, different producers. The album's shaping up really well, I'm really excited about it. I wish I could release it tomorrow but everything has to be done through the proper channels.

And what about rumours of working with Liverpool player Ryan Babel?

There's a lot of truth in that. He's actually on the song with me and Neutrino. That was something I wanted to keep in the bag for a minute but obviously you just revealed it. Somebody's on my Twitter. Yeah, Ryan Babel's a good mate of mine. He's a nice guy, he's a sick rapper. The way he flips his flow is marvellous man, so I wanted him to do a bit - half Dutch, half British, and he really pulled it off man. I think it's a track that people are gonna like.

Obviously Rafa Benitez is happy with him doing it and it's gonna be on the album. Are you going to release it?

He's his own man, he wanted to do the track so we got together and made it happen. We linked up in New York as well. He's a nice guy and I have a lot of fun with him.

Making this album you've obviously got more money, more production, more contacts. Is it still as UK sounding as you previous stuff?

The Signature LP was going to be my last independent, but I didn't like the response that it got. I felt that album was really slept on with the response that it got. I always came up against some kind of barrier. I couldn't promote this track properly because Lemar had his album coming out and I couldn't step on his toes. And then when it was time to bring the Akon track to the forefront Akon was already on eight other tracks that were already on the A, B and C list on every single playlist.

So there was no room for Sway. I faced a lot of difficulties while releasing that album, so Akon and them lot said, 'Come out to the States and make it happen' and I was like, 'No, I want another shot in the UK'. So I decided to call it the Signature 2, because that's what it is. This is me coming at the game again. I'm someone that if I feel like I didn't get the result then I go harder again.

Dizzee, Tinchy, Chipmunk and Ironik have all had a phenomenal year. Have you had to change the music you make to try to pip those guys?

Not necessarily. The thing about me is that I was always outcast by the UK hip hop scene because I wasn't rap enough in terms of the flow. It wasn't straight up hip hop 98 tempo and all that. And I was always outcast from the Grime scene because I wasn't about clashing it, always going at people. So I made up a little lane in the middle and as I watched the game a lot of people have joined me in that lane, where you can rap over Grime and be cool.

People don't question Sway when he's on a Grime beat and people don't question Sway when he's on a hip hop beat. Sway just does Sway. If you hear me on a dance record or an electro record it's because I've been doing that for a long time.

Are you hopeful for a Mobo nomination when they're released next week (26 August)?

If it happens it happens. At the end of the day there's a lot of people who've released a lot of stuff in the last year. Like I said, the Signature LP didn't go the direction I wanted it to go but if I did get a nomination it'd be all good man.

I think Ryan would be better off sticking to rapping from now on!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1036: Aug 18, 2009 05:05:39 pm
      After we sell!

God, that shits me that he uses his spare time to rap and not work on his game.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #1037: Aug 18, 2009 05:19:44 pm
      wish he was more focussed on his game then his rapping career. at least if Liverpool doesn't work out he can be guaranteed 102nd position in the charts
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #1038: Aug 19, 2009 04:14:06 pm
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,129 posts | 3375 
      Reply #1039: Aug 19, 2009 04:20:22 pm
      That's not Babel, he ran with the ball and didn't lose it. It's a Babel look-a-like or camera tricks.

The bird in the video is alright though. ;)
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #1040: Aug 19, 2009 04:29:01 pm
      That's not Babel, he ran with the ball and didn't lose it. It's a Babel look-a-like or camera tricks.

:lmao:

The song is pretty catchy though ! 

EDIT : First Cisse and 50 Cent & AKon and now this .

It's a mix of Dutch and English ...but the beat is OK though ;D !
      Milan_Marinkovich
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 73 posts |
      • Love The Reds whatever happens!!!
      Reply #1041: Aug 19, 2009 04:42:36 pm
      Well, Ryan is much better than most of you people think. He is struggling with the confidence since he was undeservedly spending most of the previous season on the bench. Therefore whenever Rafa hands him a chance to participate in the starting XI he naturally feels an additional pressure to prove that he is worth of that what undoubtedly affects his performance in the negative way. Just do not forget how many important goals he scored for us and try to take this fact into account when judging his quality. I am sure that he would show how good he actually is if he had a chance to play more often.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #1042: Aug 19, 2009 04:51:15 pm
      He has alot of potential in him but time is running out for him. His decision making is something he needs to work on. When it's time to pass, he dribbles and vice versa. He can beat defenders and he has a shot power. He's tough and pacey. He just shouldn't take on too many at the same time. He needs to know what to do at the right moment.

I just think he needs ta run of games as he seems to be pretty low on confidence.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,348 posts | 2871 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1043: Aug 19, 2009 05:32:27 pm
      I wont give up on him yet theres a player in there somewhere
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,283 posts | 934 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1044: Aug 19, 2009 05:41:45 pm
      He was awful at Spurs on Sunday. The difference when Benny come on showed how bad Babel was
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,348 posts | 2871 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1045: Aug 19, 2009 05:44:35 pm
      He was awful at Spurs on Sunday. The difference when Benny come on showed haw bad Babel was

He was worse then awful on Sunday but Ill wait another while to throw in the towel on him
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #1046: Aug 19, 2009 06:53:57 pm
      He would come good! He would come good When! I'm fed-up of waiting already. He has been here how long already 3, 4 or 5 years? Still waiting to come good? And now rapping away? I think we should give the youngsters a chance, I'm sure they wouldn't need 3 years to come good. It's easy to notice that he simply overdribbles, spends the whole game looking on the ground and hardly run pass defenders. Why can't he does the simple and pass the ball to someone who's in a better position instead of trying to get pass 4 players. Not an intelligent player.
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #1047: Aug 21, 2009 02:09:08 pm
      I was just watching Liverpool v Arsenal highlights from 07-08 champions league. Why can't we have that Babel back? The Babel who actually looked like he cared. The Babel who didn't over think everything so much that he stuffed it up.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1048: Aug 21, 2009 02:14:20 pm
      The Babel who didn't over think everything so much that he stuffed it up.

That might just be his problem he may be going out every game putting so much pressure on himself to do well as he knows this season is make or break for him and thus is over elaborating on everything he tries to do other than just playing the simple pass and when it's not coming off it's knocking his confidence and making him dissapear from the game. (just a thought)
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1049: Aug 21, 2009 02:29:31 pm
      Like in the spurs game he was at first trying to get on the ball but after a couple of mistakes he didn't want to know and hardly attempted to get the ball I think after being dropped from the stoke game it gives him an ultimatum he either comes back and preforms suprebly or his confidence is knocked and he puts in another woeful performance leading to a loan rather than a sell.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #1050: Aug 22, 2009 12:54:26 pm
      Rafa issues Babel warning

Reds boss talks tough with Dutch wide man

Rafa Benitez has warned Ryan Babel he is fighting for his Liverpool future following his failure to make an impression at Anfield.

The Dutch forward has shown only glimpses of his true talent following a big-money move from Ajax in 2007.

Benitez has shown patience with his £11.5million capture but now feels the 22-year-old is underperforming having had time to adapt to English football.

While admitting he will give the Amsterdam-born wide man further opportunities to impress, Benitez has issued a blunt message with regards what he expects this season.

"Ryan has to give something to us this time and he knows it," said Benitez.

"He will have opportunities to prove himself with so many games coming up, but it is important he has the right mentality.

"Maybe there were some problems adapting to a new style when he arrived as a young player.

"He knows what is going on here now and hopefully can perform better. He accepts he has to perform at a different level this year."

Skysports

Rafa tells Babel the way it's going to be.

Strong words from the gaffer, let's hope Ryan takes these words correctly - that he needs to work his arse off - and not take it as a discouragement.

Sounds a bit like it's last-chance saloon, and if Babel continues to under perform, he'll be off next summer.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1051: Aug 22, 2009 04:56:27 pm
      Lucky not to be off right now, i think our situation off the park has kept him here.

Come on mate, if not for the club, do this for yourself. Do something, anything! Just put some decent shifts in on a regular basis.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #1052: Aug 22, 2009 05:19:40 pm

Sounds a bit like it's last-chance saloon, and if Babel continues to under perform, he'll be off next summer.

If I were Rafa, Babel has until January 2010 to prove himself and if he still cannot perform to another level, I would move him on.
      I don't think we can risk our title challenge by waiting for Babel to produce the good when we really need significant contribution from the left.

It's really a pity if he couldn't make it with us, so much potential, so much hope but he failed to live it up. What a pity.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1053: Aug 23, 2009 03:23:42 am
      Rafa raps Babel: Liverpool boss issues warning to £11m winger
      Rafa Benitez fired a blunt message to Ryan Babel yesterday, warning him time is running out to salvage his Liverpool future after his £11.5million move from Ajax two years ago.

Ahead of Monday's home game with Aston Villa, Benitez said: 'Ryan has to give something to us this time and he knows it. He will have opportunities to prove himself with so many games coming up, but it is important he has the right mentality.

'Maybe there were some problems adapting to a new style when he arrived as a young player.

'He knows what is going on here now and hopefully can perform better. He accepts he has to perform at a different level this year.'

AEK Athens defender Sotirios Krygiakos completed his near-£2m move to Anfield yesterday.

Mail online

Not the same article as Ayrtons but the same point nevertheless looks as Rafa is getting tired of Babel.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #1054: Aug 23, 2009 07:34:48 am
      Babel has nowhere to go but up cos atm he is offering nothing. The ball is in his court and if he can't step up then bye bye.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #1055: Aug 23, 2009 07:39:21 am
      He better shape up or ship out, he has the talent but his attitude is severely lacking. He could be such a good option this season if he picks up, hope he does. Otherwise we are going to lose money on him because i can't see anyone paying 11million or more.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #1056: Aug 23, 2009 12:29:40 pm
      He better shape up or ship out, he has the talent but his attitude is severely lacking. He could be such a good option this season if he picks up, hope he does. Otherwise we are going to lose money on him because I can't see anyone paying 11million or more.

I think it is in everyone's best interest that he does the business as even if he is sold next year we will get a decent price. Atm i think we would be lucky to get 10M.
      When
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts | -5 
      Reply #1057: Aug 23, 2009 06:31:14 pm

Quick Reply