Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Andy Carroll (Liverpool > West Ham Utd)

Read 435018 times
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Re: Andy Carroll Player Thread
      Reply #230: Feb 01, 2011 02:58:03 pm
      He's mroe worried about NUFC fans than us, concerning:

http://www.skysports.com/football/teams/liverpool/

AND

Carroll said: “I was in talks about a new contract and talking to the gaffer about that. He told me that they are now not going to give me a contract. That was as soon as the offer of £30m came in. So I asked why (I wasn’t getting a new contract) and he said his hands were tied.He said it wasn’t up to him. Then a £35m bid got accepted. And then I was allowed to talk to Liverpool. The owner then made it clear to me that I was not wanted at the club. Saying that his own helicopter is waiting for me to go down to talk to them. So being shown I’m not wanted I said OK I will talk to them. Then suddenly the bid was rejected. And then Derek asked me to hand in a transfer request. So I was pushed into a corner and had no choice. I wasn't wanted by them and they made it clear they wanted the money. Then I flew down in his (Ashley’s) helicopter. I didn't want to leave. I'm gutted that I wasn’t wanted at my home team after everything I've done and progress I've made. I didn’t want to leave at all. Make sure they know I didn't want to leave. The players, staff and fans were fantastic.”

Meanwhile, Pardew today told the Chronicle: “There was an offer refused in the morning and then we received a second improved offer.

“Myself, Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias were having a discussion when Andy Carroll poked his head around the door and said he wanted to see me.

“I had the conversation with Andy. He said he wanted a new contract now that would make him the highest paid player at the club.

“This from a guy who had signed a new deal just a few months ago."

“I asked him what he wanted but he didn’t reply."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/02/01/andy-carroll-united-pushed-me-out-of-toon-72703-28092792/#ixzz1CifZEl7Z
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,629 posts | 6940 
      Reply #231: Feb 01, 2011 03:01:37 pm
      Nice one Andy, have an interview and don't say anything about the huge club you've come to

This isn't an interview.  These were 'apparently' from text messages yesterday.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #232: Feb 01, 2011 03:04:42 pm
      Nice one Andy, have an interview and don't say anything about the huge club you've come to, don't say you're happy to be here, just talk about being pushed out from your old one, good start.

Jesus, has it begun already?

Not wanting to leave Newcastle and not wanting to join Liverpool are two different things. Cut him some slack.

I'm sure if Kelly was told we were going to sell him to Valencia or Real for example then he'd not want to leave Liverpool. But if he was being ditched by us then I'm sure that wouldn't mean he'd never want to play for them.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #233: Feb 01, 2011 03:06:06 pm
      This isn't an interview.  These were 'apparently' from text messages yesterday.

The Chronicle claim he spoke to them that's what I've copied and pasted above.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #234: Feb 01, 2011 03:10:22 pm
      I'm sure after some years hearing Liverpool supporters chant his name, he will be more concerned by us, as most his personnal fans will be here. And probably far more loyal then, than most players we had these last years were after such treatment.

Why should he be proud now to have fans whose main reaction when an offer was made for him were usually "Erf 30m he's only worth 20 !?", or to be have joined a big club who only shown interest in him when they needed an emergency replacement.

He's just honest to show he is SO FAR more attached to his boyhood club and the supporters he has there than to a club he has just joined by surprise (one for both him and most fans I think).
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #235: Feb 01, 2011 03:11:10 pm
      He had a text conversation with a reporter to clear his name with the fans and let them know he loved the club and them. Pity ve same cant be said of our old 9, who couldn't stick the knife in quick enough
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #236: Feb 01, 2011 03:13:33 pm
       I think all the "whether he wanted to come" stuff will blow over and pretty soon we'll be assessing what we've got for our 35 million quid.

To my mind, we've bought a player who has the potential to be one of the very best, a player who will win lots of International caps and if we'd waited a year, would have been in a bidding war with Man City and Man Utd to get the services of. The price of 35 mill might look cheap by then, this lad is 20 years old and as raw as f***, he will only get better.

Already, he's big, strong, has a turn of pace and good awareness, is fantastic in the air and has a really sweet left foot. If we supply him he will score goals against everybody, even the best will find him an absolute nightmare to deal with. Even a diagonal hit from either full back slot with Suarez looking to spin in and around him is going to be a nightmare to deal with, and all in all I'm all for the transfer. Our team will be better for Torres out and Suarez/Carroll in, I'm very confident of that.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #237: Feb 01, 2011 03:15:38 pm
      He's 22 years old though mate. ;)
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #238: Feb 01, 2011 03:17:45 pm
      The Chronicle claim he spoke to them that's what I've copied and pasted above.

Kenny say's he spoke ot Adam

[quote very important factor for us is that both players wanted to come here. Liverpool was their first choice. Certainly in Luis' case he had other options but he chose here for the right reasons. He loves the club and has a little bit of history of watching the club on television when he was younger. Andy Carroll is exactly the same. He was leaving Newcastle which was a wrench for him as a local boy, but if he was going to go anywhere there was only one club he'd want to come to.][/quote]

That is what I copied and pasted and it's good enough for me.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #239: Feb 01, 2011 03:18:01 pm
      Out of interest, how many Premier League games and goals had Rooney scored when he signed for the Mancs? Also International caps, I heard speaking about this last night. Thought it was an interesting comparison.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #240: Feb 01, 2011 03:20:37 pm
      He's 22 years old though mate. ;)

Is he, f*** me we've been ripped off :D
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #241: Feb 01, 2011 03:24:21 pm
       Carrolls only had one game I think for England, and he looked class (was it against france?). He's got a really good touch for a big lad, and gives you a target for an out ball as big as a tennis court. I really think that not only will his arrival quickly convince any doubters of his ability, it will also graphically demonstrate how little Torres has been doing this season. he's been a f****** disgrace on accasions and has barely broken sweat.

On the SKY they were showing his debut goal all day yesterday, the one where Gerrard plays him in down the left channel and he skins Ben Haim against Chelsea. He doesn't even make them runs anymore, doesn't even show for that pass. Chelsea's gamble is bigger than ours in many ways, because unless he improves a lot they've spunked 50 million quid. 
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #242: Feb 01, 2011 03:24:56 pm
      Out of interest, how many Premier League games and goals had Rooney scored when he signed for the Mancs? Also International caps, I heard speaking about this last night. Thought it was an interesting comparison.

67 games and 15 goals according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Rooney
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #243: Feb 01, 2011 03:25:44 pm
      next person to post a article about carroll being forced out is going to get their ass kicked, by Andy Carroll himself
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #244: Feb 01, 2011 03:34:25 pm
      Jesus, has it begun already?

Not wanting to leave Newcastle and not wanting to join Liverpool are two different things. Cut him some slack.

I'm sure if Kelly was told we were going to sell him to Valencia or Real for example then he'd not want to leave Liverpool. But if he was being ditched by us then I'm sure that wouldn't mean he'd never want to play for them.

Yes it has begun already, it'll be there from the start for any player who joins our great club. I understand the situation with being pushed out of Newcastle , still should show some respect to the club he's joining.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #245: Feb 01, 2011 03:39:20 pm
      He won't be disappointed about coming to us, just disappointed that Ashley would rather have the money.

He'll get to play in Europe, will be a cert. for England call ups and in the long run will see it's the best move for him.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #246: Feb 01, 2011 03:41:47 pm
      Yes it has begun already, it'll be there from the start for any player who joins our great club. I understand the situation with being pushed out of Newcastle , still should show some respect to the club he's joining.

Give over lad, it was the local newspaper and if it was done by texts they probably asked him about the situation of him leaving. They probably didn't ask him anything to do with Liverpool.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #247: Feb 01, 2011 03:47:42 pm

You'd prefer a PR master pretending he always loved any club he joins, and organising "accidental" ynwa armband shows for the press before leaving his boy hood club for a bigger one to win things ?

Caroll prefering to kind lies and spin doctors stuff, to show the real love he seems to have for the club who made him, is a big bag of fresh air.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #248: Feb 01, 2011 03:48:48 pm
      Carroll: The First Interview
      After finishing his first session at Melwood and meeting his new teammates, Andy Carroll sat down with the club's official website to give his first interview as a Liverpool player.

Welcome to Liverpool Football Club, how does it feel to be here?

It's just a great feeling. Liverpool is a massive club and it's nice to be wanted by a club like this, never mind turning up and being here with everyone around.

How did you feel when you first heard of Liverpool's interest?

I was a bit surprised and didn't really know what was going on at the time. When I knew it was real and that there was a chance for me to come here I knew it was a great opportunity and I had to take it.

Everything has happened so quickly - has it sunk in yet?

A little bit! Everyone I grew up with is still in Newcastle but as soon as things settle down a bit I'm sure it'll be better.

How did it feel this morning to wake up as Liverpool's new No.9?

It's a great feeling. The No.9 is a big number and the one I wanted. To get it at Liverpool is a great feeling.

It is an iconic shirt at Liverpool with the likes of Rush, Fowler and Torres having worn it - how proud are you to now be following in their footsteps?

That's what I'm hoping for. I want to go out there and play the football that has brought me here. I want to score goals, set up goals and carry on playing football

How much are you looking forward to working with Kenny Dalglish?

That's really exciting. He's a great man, a great manager and I'm looking forward to getting started. He has told me to settle myself in, get fit and get ready to start playing.

We know you're close friends with Kevin Nolan who is a big Liverpool fan - what has he said to you about this club?

I have spoken to him. He is over the moon, really delighted for me. He said it's a big chance for me to go out there and show what I can do with Liverpool, and that's what I'm going to do.

How big an opportunity is this for you at such an early stage in your career?

It's massive. Liverpool is a big club which is going places and this is a chance to show what I can do. What I did at Newcastle has got me here and now I have to carry it on with Liverpool.

You're not the only new signing at the club - how much are you looking forward to linking up with Luis Suarez?

It's going to be great to partner with him. He's a great player but I'm looking forward to playing with all the lads. There are some great players here and I just hope I can fit in well.

You've had a great season at Newcastle - how confident are you that you'll score the goals to take Liverpool forward in the way we all want?

Goals have always been in my game so I'm very confident I can score for Liverpool. I'll bring as much as I can to the team, I'll score goals, create chances, hold up the ball and just try my best really.

How much are you looking forward to making your Liverpool debut?

I can't wait. I just need to get myself fit and then look forward to my debut. I'm just working in the gym at the moment and hopefully will start running soon. I just want to get started.

This is clearly the start of a new era at Liverpool under new ownership - how excited are you at the prospect of being an integral part of it?

It's a great feeling. Everyone has put their faith in me and it's nice to have come to a club that has welcomed me like this.

And, finally, what would your message be to Liverpool fans today?

They have spent a lot of money on getting me here and I just want to repay them for what they have spent. I'll do my best and think I can do it. I want to win trophies with this club and help push us forward.
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #249: Feb 01, 2011 03:51:25 pm
      What he is doing is trying to not be hated in his old city, where he is from and has grown up so he is obviously going to love the place and still want to be loved for what he did at newcastle.  But when a club like Liverpool comes along then he had to take a hard look at it and realised for his career it was the right move and he has come into a team on the up which is going to have lots of success in the  near future. He wants to play for us, no doubt in that, why would he hand in a transfer request if he didnt? all he is doing is trying to not be hated.

My GF is at uni in Newcastle and she said last night all the clubs where writing on peoples face on the way in "Andy Carroll is a c**t", so I guess they havnt taken to the transfer very well at all.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #250: Feb 01, 2011 03:53:12 pm
      Not sure about this signing tbh. A huge gamble in my opinion, I just hope and pray it comes off. Where as I think Suarez will be a great success and was a great piece of business, this one looks too much like a signing to appease the fans rather than a carefully considered move.  .

Fingers crossed all my fears will disappear once he plays and rattles in a few goals.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #251: Feb 01, 2011 03:57:56 pm
      Said all the right things. Giving off the right impression.

As fans we now have to make him forget about Newcastle and show him we're number 1!
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #252: Feb 01, 2011 04:04:31 pm
      No one should read into his comments about not necessarily wanting to leave Newcastle. What he said was that he was still loyal to the club and maybe wouldn't have left but Ashley wanted the money. In no way is he saying he didn't want to join Liverpool.

If anything I applaud the lad for his loyalty to his old club. Something our previous number 9 could learn from.

Quick Reply