Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Andy Carroll (Liverpool > West Ham Utd)

Read 432618 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,577 posts | 6638 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Andy Carroll Player Thread
      Reply #115: Feb 01, 2011 12:25:50 am
      Welcome Andy to the Greatest Club in the World.

Look forward to seeing you thump in loads of headers from our set pieces. Something we haven't seen much of in recent times.
      zodak
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 116 posts | 10 
      Reply #116: Feb 01, 2011 12:25:52 am
      I understand AC will be on approximately Ā£80,000 a week, a good Ā£50,000 less than what Torres was on (estimated to be at Ā£ 130,000 a week). Over the course of a year, we would have paid Torres Ā£2.5m more, and over the course of a 5.5 year contract, we would have paid Torres close to Ā£14m more than what we will be paying AC.

LS is also on about Ā£70,000 per week which is roughly the same as what we were paying Babel.

Effectively by selling Torres and Babel and buying Suarez and Carroll, this is how the whole package looks like:

Ā£50m (torres sale) + Ā£7m (babel sale) + Ā£14m (savings on torres wages) - Ā£23m (suarez) - Ā£35m (carroll) = Ā£13m savings (over the term of either Carroll or Torres' contract period - 5.5 years)

Not too shabby.

I must confess, I do feel we have overpaid for Carroll, but he's 22, English and at least I won't have to see him sulking and falling over like a girl most times!

Interesting times ahead.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #117: Feb 01, 2011 12:26:20 am
      Take no prisoners on sunday and make sure your elbow hits a certain jaw,

I doubt he'll be playing Shabs...he's injured.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #118: Feb 01, 2011 12:26:29 am
      Welcome to Liverpool Andy Carroll. Liverpool's new number nine!

Really happy with this transfer. Yes, we probably payed 10m too much for him - but he's a really good player and has the potential to be amazing. He's brings something different to our team and I think, along with Suarez, he'll make our overall play much better. I think we played through that tw*t too much times and it made our play suffer because of it. Also got to remember he's only 22, so we've got quite a few years out of him.

People are also saying how good he is in the air but he's pretty good with his feet as well. ;)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #119: Feb 01, 2011 12:29:52 am
      Probably paid too much for him but he's only 22 years old and has bags of potential which Kenny will get out the best from.

Maybe he's the strong forward (both on ground and air) that we have been missing for quite awhile.

Wished he'd cut his hair, though ;D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #120: Feb 01, 2011 12:30:43 am
      He's only back running Shabs. Will be a couple of weeks before he features
      Ju
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #121: Feb 01, 2011 12:32:13 am
      Welcome Andy best wishes
      zodak
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 116 posts | 10 
      Reply #122: Feb 01, 2011 12:32:50 am

Extracted from the Daily Mail:

Article from 14th November 2010:

Kenny Dalglish - Oh Andy Carroll, please don't be a fool

If you know anything about football, you will have the utmost respect for Fabio Capello. And if you donā€™t respect him, youā€™ll not be invited back.

The old guy knows a hell of a lot more than Andy Carroll does, thatā€™s a certainty. And I think their meeting this week could be one of the best things to happen to a 21-year-old with the world at his feet.

Iā€™m sure Carroll will be full of respect for the England manager. He will be aware of the amazing list of players Fabio has worked with ā€” Marco van Basten, Ruud Gullit, Paolo Maldini, David Beckham, Zinedine Zidane, Roberto Carlos and Wayne Rooney among them.

If Fabio asks to speak to Carroll privately this week, which he is likely to do at the team hotel, well away from the glare of publicity, Iā€™m sure the player would sit there and listen to every word, and it might just be the nudge he needs to make the penny drop.

You can imagine the message behind the conversation. ā€˜Here you are, just 21 years of age, with a fantastic career in front of you, for Newcastle and for England. Letā€™s just take a step at the time. As long as you are playing well Iā€™ll be picking you, but you have got to pull the reins in a little bit off the pitch and improve your behaviour.

ā€˜Iā€™m giving you the benefit of the doubt at the moment. This is a great opportunity for you to straighten yourself out if you want to do that, but you do realise that if there is any repeat of misbehaviour, you are going to make it difficult for me to pick you and put me under pressure, not on football grounds, but moral ones.ā€™

Knowing Capello, it wonā€™t be touchy-feely, but an honest appraisal of Carroll and his situation.

It is not anything Carroll will be surprised to hear, but the fact that someone with Capelloā€™s standing in the game, earned from all the success heā€™s had with AC Milan, Juventus, Roma and Real Madrid, is taking the trouble to try to improve you as a person and a player, it should have an effect.

Itā€™s something the boy should welcome because it has been such a turbulent time for him; goals and plaudits on the field, a court case and negative publicity off it.

There will be some who wonā€™t like his inclusion in the England set-up at all, who will regard it as unfair reward for bad behaviour. But there would be a few people who wouldnā€™t have played for their national team if convictions had been an automatic disqualification ā€” Tony Adams springs to mind, for one. I had Jan Molby at Liverpool and when he spent time in prison for reckless driving, we supported him because our view was heā€™d been punished by the courts, so there was no point in us punishing him again. And he never went back inside.

I donā€™t see his expected debut against France as a licence for him to behave as he likes. I see it as a chance for him to change and if he continues to misbehave, heā€™ll not be asked back.

In footballing terms, the Newcastle striker deserves his chance against France on Wednesday night, as does Arsenalā€™s Jack Wilshere, whose cause I have supported on these pages before. A friendly game is the time do it. Of course you donā€™t want to get in the habit of losing games but itā€™s an opportunity to try different players or even a new formation, knowing if the experiment doesnā€™t work, itā€™s not the end of the world.

I just hope supporters and everyone else give the younger players like Wilshere and Carroll a chance, and not to get at their throats if things donā€™t click immediately. These matches are the chance to get them used to international football. This week is a real opportunity for Carroll to turn the corner, to show us all he is the big centre-forward England have been looking for and that he can handle the attention and pressure off the pitch as well.

Iā€™ve been known to sing along to Neil Sedakaā€™s ā€˜Oh, Carol, I am but a foolā€™. My message to Andy Carroll in this case is: ā€˜Please donā€™t be a fool.ā€™

You will have a better life if you make the necessary sacrifices now and dedicate yourself to football. You have the talent to go and enjoy a great career. Donā€™t look back in 10 yearsā€™ time with regret.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1329456/Kenny-Dalglish-Oh-Andy-Carroll-dont-fool-.html
      « Last Edit: Feb 01, 2011 12:40:56 am by zodak »
      sergio tachini
      • Banned

• 156 posts |
      Reply #123: Feb 01, 2011 12:33:46 am
      He is the best header of a ball we have had since Heskey + Hyppia, crouch had a tenbob head.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #124: Feb 01, 2011 12:34:33 am
      Carroll must prove himself in spotlights at Liverpool
      By Sam Wallace

One year ago today Andy Carroll was a Championship striker with four league goals for the season, scored against Blackpool, Plymouth, Doncaster and Peterborough. He wakes up this morning as the eighth most expensive footballer of all time, anywhere in the world.

The Ā£35m transfer of a 22-year-old striker with only 11 Premier League goals and half a season's experience as a first-choice player in the top flight is one of the most extraordinary stories of English football. But yesterday was one of those extraordinary days.

It included Newcastle United turning down a huge offer for Carroll that they would never have dared reject on any other day than this. A day in which the feverish desire of Liverpool to spend most of the Ā£50m they received for Fernando Torres turned a raw kid from Gateshead into a more expensive player than Spain's World Cup-winner David Villa.

It takes some confidence for Liverpool ā€“ with owners who have been in charge only since October, a new director of football and a caretaker manager ā€“ to spend Ā£35m on a player whose only proven track record thus far is for a worryingly volatile private life. That he is currently injured and presumably unable to complete a medical looks like the least of their worries.

The acquisition of Carroll would never have cost as much in different circumstances. But the departure of Torres and the scarcity of a credible replacement to be had within 24 hours meant that Liverpool were forced to part with a transfer fee that changes the nature of Carroll's career for ever.

The transfer fee is not Carroll's fault. The reasons that it was inflated beyond all realistic terms were the result of Roman Abramovich's latest obsession to bring Torres to Chelsea. Unfortunately, it becomes Carroll's problem.

In context, and if Carroll lives up to his potential, Ā£35m will not look so ludicrous. He is that most rare of commodities: a young English striker who has already broken into the national side with the potential to be a serious player. There are so few of his type around now that as soon as he showed a glimmer of potential to be a Premier League player this season, his value started soaring

There was a time in English football, in the mid to late 1990s, when Carroll's hero Alan Shearer was playing, when the country had a surfeit of great strikers. From Shearer to Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Andy Cole, Teddy Sheringham, Ian Wright and Les Ferdinand, an English striker could be a 20-goal-a-season man and still not get in the England squad.

Not any longer. Carroll's emergence this year has been that of an intriguing prospect for the future. With a style that is an awkward configuration of knees and elbows, he has at times looked like a striker of real talent. At other times he has looked simply like a promising player making his first steps to being a good one. But never has he looked like a Ā£35m footballer.

The problem now for Carroll, whose popularity on Tyneside was a bulwark against his worst excesses, is that he will inevitably be judged on different terms. He is no longer a kid with potential, nor is he one for the future. He is a Ā£35m footballer who is being asked to fill the boots of one of the most celebrated strikers in the world.

He has demonstrated enough of the tough, nothing-fazes-me attitude that is a feature of his generation of football prodigies ā€“ Wayne Rooney, Jack Wilshere, Adam Johnson ā€“ but he is going to need more than that to survive at Liverpool. Carroll is good, no doubt about that. But his talent is not as indisputable as Rooney's was at that age and yet his fee and the scrutiny it will bring will be no less intense.

Given his development thus far it was clear that at some point over the next few years, a club would have paid big money for Carroll. That it turned out to be yesterday and that it was Ā£35m was one of those quirks of modern football. No player of great promise these days is allowed to stay at his modest hometown club for a few years and develop gently. They are seized as soon as possible, usually from the academy, and thrust into the limelight often long before they are ready.

Carroll's private life suggests that he still has many issues to resolve. There was a conviction for common assault in October. He was arrested and bailed for the assault of his former girlfriend ā€“ the charges were later dropped. That is not to say that Carroll will not get his house in order and thrive at Liverpool. But there is no point pretending that he is not still a major risk.

Sadly, there is no longer any time for a player to develop quietly in a game in such a rush. One minute they are scoring against Plymouth, the next they are more expensive than two Alan Shearers. It makes for a lot of excitement but it does not necessarily make it right.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/carroll-must-prove-himself-in-spotlights-at-liverpool-2200212.html
      Lfc-jamie14
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 112 posts | -2 
      • 'You'll never walk alone'
      Reply #125: Feb 01, 2011 12:38:12 am
      Does anybody know how long he's out for until he's fit to play?
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #126: Feb 01, 2011 12:39:58 am
      Does anybody know how long he's out for until he's fit to play?

The rest of the season mate.

;D

Nah, about 10 days I heard?
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #127: Feb 01, 2011 12:40:13 am
      Best of luck Andy! You have a lot to prove...make sure to learn from Kenny!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #128: Feb 01, 2011 12:40:43 am
      It all hinges on his reaction to running this week. Could be back in two weeks.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #129: Feb 01, 2011 12:40:57 am
      Extracted from the Daily Mail: Article from 14th November 2010: Kenny Dalglish - Oh Andy Carroll, please don't be a fool

If you know anything about football, you will have the utmost respect for Fabio Capello. And if you donā€™t respect him, youā€™ll not be invited back.

The old guy knows a hell of a lot more than Andy Carroll does, thatā€™s a certainty. And I think their meeting this week could be one of the best things to happen to a 21-year-old with the world at his feet.

Iā€™m sure Carroll will be full of respect for the England manager. He will be aware of the amazing list of players Fabio has worked with ā€” Marco van Basten, Ruud Gullit, Paolo Maldini, David Beckham, Zinedine Zidane, Roberto Carlos and Wayne Rooney among them.

If Fabio asks to speak to Carroll privately this week, which he is likely to do at the team hotel, well away from the glare of publicity, Iā€™m sure the player would sit there and listen to every word, and it might just be the nudge he needs to make the penny drop.

You can imagine the message behind the conversation. ā€˜Here you are, just 21 years of age, with a fantastic career in front of you, for Newcastle and for England. Letā€™s just take a step at the time. As long as you are playing well Iā€™ll be picking you, but you have got to pull the reins in a little bit off the pitch and improve your behaviour.

ā€˜Iā€™m giving you the benefit of the doubt at the moment. This is a great opportunity for you to straighten yourself out if you want to do that, but you do realise that if there is any repeat of misbehaviour, you are going to make it difficult for me to pick you and put me under pressure, not on football grounds, but moral ones.ā€™

Knowing Capello, it wonā€™t be touchy-feely, but an honest appraisal of Carroll and his situation.

It is not anything Carroll will be surprised to hear, but the fact that someone with Capelloā€™s standing in the game, earned from all the success heā€™s had with AC Milan, Juventus, Roma and Real Madrid, is taking the trouble to try to improve you as a person and a player, it should have an effect.

Itā€™s something the boy should welcome because it has been such a turbulent time for him; goals and plaudits on the field, a court case and negative publicity off it.

There will be some who wonā€™t like his inclusion in the England set-up at all, who will regard it as unfair reward for bad behaviour. But there would be a few people who wouldnā€™t have played for their national team if convictions had been an automatic disqualification ā€” Tony Adams springs to mind, for one. I had Jan Molby at Liverpool and when he spent time in prison for reckless driving, we supported him because our view was heā€™d been punished by the courts, so there was no point in us punishing him again. And he never went back inside.

I donā€™t see his expected debut against France as a licence for him to behave as he likes. I see it as a chance for him to change and if he continues to misbehave, heā€™ll not be asked back.

In footballing terms, the Newcastle striker deserves his chance against France on Wednesday night, as does Arsenalā€™s Jack Wilshere, whose cause I have supported on these pages before. A friendly game is the time do it. Of course you donā€™t want to get in the habit of losing games but itā€™s an opportunity to try different players or even a new formation, knowing if the experiment doesnā€™t work, itā€™s not the end of the world.

I just hope supporters and everyone else give the younger players like Wilshere and Carroll a chance, and not to get at their throats if things donā€™t click immediately. These matches are the chance to get them used to international football. This week is a real opportunity for Carroll to turn the corner, to show us all he is the big centre-forward England have been looking for and that he can handle the attention and pressure off the pitch as well.

Iā€™ve been known to sing along to Neil Sedakaā€™s ā€˜Oh, Carol, I am but a foolā€™. My message to Andy Carroll in this case is: ā€˜Please donā€™t be a fool.ā€™

You will have a better life if you make the necessary sacrifices now and dedicate yourself to football. You have the talent to go and enjoy a great career. Donā€™t look back in 10 yearsā€™ time with regret.

Interesting find. He has a lot of knowledge on the young English talent.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #130: Feb 01, 2011 12:47:29 am
      ANDY CARROLL: I WAS FORCED OUT OF TOON 

Andy Carroll claims he was forced out of Newcastle
      Tuesday February 1,2011
      By Niall Hickman  Have your say(0)
      ANDY CARROLL completed an astonishing Ā£35million move to Liverpool yesterday but claimed he had been forced out of Newcastle.

Striker Carroll, 22, told close friends he did not want to leave Newcastle and texts seen by the Daily Express confirm that.

In one, sent to Steve Wraith, editor of a Toon fanzine, Carroll says: ā€œThey have kind of said we donā€™t want u but want me to say I wanna go. And I said I donā€™t wanna go.ā€

EXPRESS CASINO: GET A FREE BONUS OF UP TO Ā£150 NOW!

Asked what was going on, Carroll replied: ā€œI donā€™t know mate. Gutted tho. They said they wanted the money. Gutted to be leaving my home club but I was practically told to go. Donā€™t want to leave. Thatā€™s why I signed five-year deal.ā€

Carroll makes it clear that the motivation for the move was based around the Magpies board, who wanted to cash in on his blistering early-season form and felt Ā£35m was too good an offer to decline.

Carroll made his late-night switch to Liverpool for a record fee for a British player as manager Kenny Dalglish quickly spent some of the Ā£50m he received for Fernando Torresā€™s move to Chelsea.

When Carroll signed an extended deal in November he said: ā€œThatā€™s it, 100 per cent. Iā€™ve just signed a five-year contract and as it stands I want to be here forever. This is my home, what I want to be doing, the club I want to play for, the shirt I want to wear.ā€

Newcastle said Carroll left of his own accord, having handed in a transfer request and had moved for vastly increased wages.

Sounds like he has a bit more loyalty than some anyway.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #131: Feb 01, 2011 12:50:10 am
       Andy Carroll joins Liverpool and says he was ā€˜pushed out of the doorā€™ by Newcastle

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/transfer_deadline_andy_carroll_joins_liverpool_and_says_he_was_pushed_out_of_the_door_by_newcastle_1_2995347

By Adam Brown Ian Laws
      Published on Mon Jan 31 22:57:30 GMT 2011

ANDY Carroll says he was forced out by Newcastle.

The striker completed a Ā£35million move to Liverpool on a five-and-a-half year deal tonight.

Newcastle have insisted they only allowed him to go because he handed in a transfer request.

But in a text to Newcastle ToonTalk fanzine editor Steve Wraith, which emerged tonight on Facebook, Carroll said: ā€œIā€™m gutted to be leaving my home town club; I was told to go.

ā€œI didnā€™t want to leave thatā€™s why I signed a five year deal. I was pushed out of the door.ā€
      Lfc-jamie14
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 112 posts | -2 
      • 'You'll never walk alone'
      Reply #132: Feb 01, 2011 12:51:58 am
      cheers,

best of luck Andy, pity hes not fit to face chelski but im sure he'll be worth the wait.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #133: Feb 01, 2011 12:53:48 am
      payed 35 million quid for a guy who didnt jump at the chance to come here but was forced out...
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #134: Feb 01, 2011 12:54:18 am
      Carroll facing up to a month more on sidelines

9:20am Thursday 27th January 2011

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle/8816199.Carroll_facing_up_to_a_month_more_on_sidelines/

NEWCASTLE striker Andy Carroll is set to be sidelined for at least another month after suffering a setback in his recovery from a thigh injury.

Carroll will visit a tendon repair specialist in Sweden tomorrow after he was unable to take part in running sessions during this week's training camp in Portugal.

Magpies manager Alan Pardew has been hit with a double injury blow, as Dan Gosling is facing further knee surgery that will also rule him out of action for the next four weeks.

However, it is the setback to Carroll's recovery that is causing the greatest concern among Newcastle's medical staff, with the England international already having missed the club's last five matches.

Carroll injured his thigh in December's defeat at Tottenham, but it was originally hoped a period of rest and recuperation would solve the problem.

When that did not happen, the 22-year-old was instructed to travel to Portugal with the rest of the Magpies squad this week, in the hope that a spell of intensive treatment would hasten his recovery.

That has not happened either, and with Carroll still reporting considerable pain in his thigh, Pardew has decided seek the advice of one of the world's leading tendon specialists.

As a result, the striker will miss next week's games against Fulham and Arsenal, and is also unlikely to feature in the home game with Blackburn that precedes a two-week break without a fixture.

ā€œWe brought him out here (to Portugal) to start running, and the disappointing news is that he hasn't,ā€ said Pardew.

ā€œHis injury is in the muscle, just above the tendon where it joins the knee, so it's not an area that gets great circulation and therefore it doesn't heal quickly.

ā€œWe have had a consultation this week about sending him to someone who is the world's best tendon repair expert ā€“ there are experts in different fields ā€“ and this guy is at the Arctic end of Sweden.

ā€œHe's flying out there on Friday and we're hoping that we can turn him around quickly. But now I have to say that Fulham is definitely out and possibly even Arsenal. We can't rush him back.ā€

Carroll's absence has reduced Newcastle's attacking options markedly, but even with his leading goalscorer set to spend another month on the sidelines, Pardew is reluctant to spend significant resources on signing another striker ahead of Monday's transfer deadline.

ā€œWe have to pay tribute to Shola (Ameobi), Leon (Best), Nile (Ranger) and Peter (Lovenkrands),ā€ said Pardew.

ā€œThey've all played a part in great performances, if not always the results we've wanted. They've all pitched in and done a great job, so you have to say we haven't missed him as much as we all feared, including myself.ā€

To make matters worse, Gosling now faces another extended spell on the sidelines after suffering a partial recurrence of the knee injury that prevented him from featuring at all in the first half of the season.

The midfielder, who was a summer signing from Everton, arrived at St James' Park midway through his recovery from a cruciate knee ligament injury.

He made his Magpies debut as a second-half substitute in this month's 1-1 draw with Sunderland, but has been complaining of continued swelling in his knee.

That swelling suggests there could still be a cartilage issue that needs addressing, and Pardew is resigned to sanctioning another bout of surgery.

ā€œIt's such a shame because our medical team worked really hard with him,ā€ he said, during an interview with BBC Radio Newcastle. ā€œHe had the operation at Everton, so they weren't party to what went on, and what they've inherited was what looked like a slight problem in that knee.

ā€œAnyway, we've brought him back and in all this time there was a slight swelling that wouldn't go away. The surgeon suggested we carried on the treatment and now we think we need to perhaps have a look in this knee, that there might be something floating around, that there might be some cartilage that needs trimming.

ā€œIf you've got swelling, it's not right. Unfortunately for Dan, he's going to have to be patient, and we are too because we all got excited when we thought he was ready to come back. The case is that he's going to be missing for another three or four weeks.ā€

Pardew is due to return to England later today, and with no weekend game to work towards, the Magpies manager will devote the majority of his attention to the transfer market.

Stephen Ireland remains the club's leading target ahead of Monday night's deadline, but with Aston Villa still refusing to contribute to the midfielder's Ā£72,000-a-week wages, Pardew expects negotiations to go to the wire.

ā€œThat seems to be the way things are this month,ā€ he said. ā€œAll clubs are waiting to see what happens and I think you'll probably see a few things happening in the final day of the window.

ā€œEveryone's trying to get the best deals they can. Things are changing all the time ā€“ only today I've had agents on to talk about players where other deals have fallen through ā€“ so I think you'll see activity right the way through to Monday's deadline.ā€
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #135: Feb 01, 2011 01:01:03 am
      I take it you sell razor blades in your spare time RedLFCBlood, because you have me close to slitting my wrists here mate
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #136: Feb 01, 2011 01:07:36 am
      I take it you sell razor blades in your spare time RedLFCBlood, because you have me close to slitting my wrists here mate
      WTF???
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #137: Feb 01, 2011 01:08:03 am
      He started full training today ??

Quick Reply