Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Fernando Torres (The Post Liverpool years)

Read 462177 times
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Re: Fernando Torres (The Chelsea years)
      Reply #4968: Apr 28, 2014 01:31:30 pm
      I think he probably wanted his team to score the goal but was glad that he didn't have to put it in the net himself. Willian made it an easy way out for him.

Anyone else and I reckon he'd have gone for goal himself.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4969: Apr 28, 2014 01:39:14 pm
      Who gives a f**k.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,238 posts | 4925 
      Reply #4970: Apr 28, 2014 02:14:57 pm
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #4971: Apr 29, 2014 06:04:25 pm
      Think I saw a couple of occasions when he missed easy one-on-one chances, or even on an empty net (against the Scums). He's that sh*t since he joined Chelsea, so I'm fairly sure he just took the easier option there. He did celebrate and smiled after the goal.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #4972: Apr 29, 2014 06:11:07 pm

No great surprise takes someone from the female persuasion to post the most sensible post on did or did he not want to score.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4973: Apr 29, 2014 10:06:04 pm
      I'm glad he squared it, out of that and him scoring himself I know what I'd prefer! Couldn't bare seeing that rent boy score against us. Lesser of the two evils just getting an assist.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,238 posts | 4925 
      Reply #4974: Apr 29, 2014 10:07:51 pm
      I'm glad he squared it, out of that and him scoring himself I know what I'd prefer! Couldn't bare seeing that rent boy score against us. Lesser of the two evils just getting an assist.

I couldn't have cared less at that point.

I'd rather he scored and celebrated like a mad man to be honest as I hate all this not celebrating against former club nonsense.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #4975: Apr 29, 2014 10:38:21 pm
      We lost and I should give a f##k who scored against us?

First week in February after the window shuts maybe.

Last week in April 3 years on....not for me.

They come, they go.

Legends remain
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #4976: May 28, 2014 08:33:37 pm
      Fernando Torres: I felt like a king at Liverpool – Steven Gerrard and I were made for each other

The Spanish striker scored 65 times during a sensational three-and-a-half years at Anfield but has failed to reproduce such form since joining current club Chelsea

Fernando Torres has claimed he and Steven Gerrard "were made for each other".

And the Chelsea striker revealed telling the Liverpool captain he was leaving Liverpool in January 2011 was one of the most difficult moments of his career.

Torres signed for the Blues for £50m - and has never reproduced his Anfield success in three-and-a-half years in London.

In an interview with French magazine So Foot, the Spaniard recounted how he felt he had to move to Stamford Bridge for the sake of his career. But he said he has never found another player like Gerrard.

"At Liverpool, I had almost everything but titles," Torres said. "There, I felt like a king but the team was falling apart. The directors had sold Mascherano to Barca, then Xabi Alonso to Real Madrid without investing any of the money to compensate for the departure of these two key players.

"I was 27, I wanted to know what it was like to lift the Champions League and I had the feeling it was not going to happen with the Reds. Liverpool then was in full transition, the club was being sold and in that case, unless you are Manchester City or PSG, it can be a long road before you are again competitive.

"I did not have the time to wait. One day, Steven Gerrard came to say to me: "Fernando, now, you have to think of yourself. Do what you have to do."

"But when I went to tell him that I was going to accept the Chelsea offer, it destroyed him. Announcing my departure from Liverpool to Gerrard was one of the most difficult moments of my career. He was my best team-mate and I am not sure of finding another like him in the future. We were made for each other."

By contrast, Torres struggled to fit into a Chelsea side which was continually changing tactics and managers.

"Everyone was a bit lost," he recalled. "Before my arrival, Chelsea played with Anelka and Drogba in attack. I arrived to play alongside Anelka in a system with three midfielders. We played only one match with that system.

"At the time, David Luiz and myself went to see Ancelotti together because we had been the last arrivals, we were told we would be important, but, in reality, we weren't playing. They finished by saying to us: 'We are going to finish the season with the team that started it'.

"I understood nothing of what had happened. I started to know the experience of the bench. I reassured myself by saying things would soon change. Villas-Boas arrived, then Di Matteo but it was always the same: one day I played, the next not."

But his old Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez briefly got the best out his fellow Spaniard at Chelsea.

"With Rafa, I learned to think about the best option to take in important moments," Torres said. "It is about teaching - everything he does gets you to think. I am sure that there are footballers who retire without ever having thought on the pitch.

"Rafa was very tactical. Before knowing him, I had the habit of running everywhere, no matter where. Five good runs into space are worth more than 100 in the wind."

But Torres insisted he has never regretted moving to England - and said a highlight was meeting the Gallagher brothers through Gerrard.

And he claimed the export of Spanish players had helped the Spain team - and the same could happen to England.

"If it took a long time to export players, it was because we were scared. Scared of the unknown," said Torres, who joined Liverpool from Atletico Madrid in July 2007.

"The same thing is happening to the English today. They are incapable of leaving the Premier League. But the day when it is the English who go abroad, a lot will follow.

"This could be for the best for the England team. I know what I am talking about. When Xabi Alonso, Reina, Arbeloa and Fabregas left for England, we became more competitive. The fact that the Spanish players toughen themselves up abroad has been very important."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fernando-torres-felt-like-king-3618472
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #4977: May 28, 2014 08:51:29 pm
      He got his trophy....hope it was worth it.

xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #4978: May 31, 2014 04:18:09 am
      Fernando Torres (The Chelsea years) - Spain edition:

zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4979: May 31, 2014 10:23:11 am
      His "Golden years" are with us though he get no trophy.   ;D
      He got his "trophy" there just by being "in" the team.     :lmao:

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

:lmao:  You need talent for that! What a missed!    :mad: :mad: :mad:  ;D
      « Last Edit: May 31, 2014 02:53:01 pm by zz19a »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4980: May 31, 2014 08:38:16 pm
      I've no malice for him, when he speaks about the club, more often than not, its in a positive manner, best of luck to him where ever he ends up this summer.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,238 posts | 4925 
      Reply #4981: May 31, 2014 08:43:11 pm
      I've no malice for him, when he speaks about the club, more often than not, its in a positive manner, best of luck to him where ever he ends up this summer.

Furious with him at the time but he's irrelevant to me now.

A small part of me finds it sad though that he has been so sh*te  since he left us. At one point for us he was unstoppable.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #4982: May 31, 2014 09:35:50 pm
      Have no ill will towards him. He did what he thought he had to do...we ended up ok without him. Still pull for him when he plays but he's obviously on his downhill slide now.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #4983: Jul 27, 2014 07:06:23 pm
      LFCexiled
      Reply #4984: Jul 28, 2014 09:34:25 am
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #4985: Jul 28, 2014 09:38:14 am
      With clearances like that he looks a natural replacement CB for Luiz  :)
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,915 posts | 819 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #4986: Jul 28, 2014 02:37:07 pm
      For me i adored him than once he left us i hated him and now i actually pity him.

In my eyes he sold his soul to the devil for glory and he got his glory but his soulless now and obviously i don't mean literally but with us he was loved and adored, was playing the football of his life and he swapped it for trophies at the cost of his footballing ability turning to sh*t and the fans that he plays for not giving a sh*t about him.

I hope players see Torres as an example of not what to do, don't leave fans who adore you to then stab them in the back because karma will come back to bite you in the ass. It wouldn't surprise me if Suarez went on to be amazing for Barca and it wouldn't annoy me the slightest because he played 100% for us on the pitch and once he left he didn't have a bad word to say about us.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #4987: Jul 28, 2014 02:51:13 pm
      Lad is proper sh*t, done well to get £50 million for him.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #4988: Jul 28, 2014 03:00:12 pm
      What a strange emotion pity is.

If he started off with a flyer at Chelsea I'd be hating him.  His career has gone so so bad now it's just not even funny anymore.

I hope he goes to Althetico and see's his career out there
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #4989: Jul 28, 2014 05:24:16 pm
      I'd have him back for the right money (about 10 mill with them paying 2/3 of his wages). Seriously, I would.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #4990: Jul 28, 2014 05:47:50 pm
      I'd have him back for the right money (about 10 mill with them paying 2/3 of his wages). Seriously, I would.

Mick, unless your privy to info that Torres is dilibreatly playing sh*te to engineer a move to us I think your nuts to have him back :D

Quick Reply