Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Fernando Torres (The Post Liverpool years)

Read 461593 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,230 posts | 6356 
      Re: Fernando Torres (The Post Liverpool years)
      Reply #5083: Dec 30, 2014 03:24:54 pm
      Best thing is not to give a shiny sh*te about any of them post Liverpool

I know I dont

Always had a soft spot for Torres, but just find it funny how he and Luis left under similar types of circumstances but because Torres was crap when he left he's a pr**k, but because Luis left at the top of his game he's not. It's silly really.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #5084: Dec 30, 2014 03:28:40 pm
      Best thing is not to give a shiny sh*te about any of them post Liverpool

I know I dont

2 "partial" exceptions to that for me over the years watching them.

Peter Beardsley - because it was classic f#ckin' Souness to sell him to them!

Xabi Alonso - just because he's the finest pure passer of a ball I've ever seen and I always thought he's have a couple of matinee seasons here at the end.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #5085: Dec 30, 2014 03:30:58 pm
      Always had a soft spot for Torres, but just find it funny how he and Luis left under similar types of circumstances but because Torres was crap when he left he's a pr**k, but because Luis left at the top of his game he's not. It's silly really.

There's more to it than that though

Torres wasn't putting 100% in during the last few months (he wasn't you could see live)
      Torres gave interviews giving little digs after he went
      Suarez from a personal point of view left us in a position of strength as opposed to Torres going mid season when we were on the slide

Like I say I don't hate either since they left but I don't care for either and look how they are doing or watch them wishing they were back, it's gone, they've gone.. My clubs still here and that means more than a player who wore the shirt for a couple of years

Both were good, both have gone... Not fussed myself about either
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5086: Dec 30, 2014 07:00:48 pm
      Wait...so it's ok for Luis to want to use us a stepping stone, but not Torres? It's ok for Luis to bite someone at the World Cup and force us to cut him loose likely sooner than we wanted to but Torres was wrong in not giving FSG time?

Something doesn't smell right here. Smells a bit hypocritical to me.

Difference is Suarez didn't do it to go to a rival,

Haha brilliant, yes that is exactly what Suarez was thinking in the build up to the game or in the game "I know, I will bite someone so I can get a move away from Liverpool". Hahaha get to F**k pal, he wasn't giving us the slightest bit of thought whilst on the pitch for his country.

Yes Suarez did use us as a stepping stone but he didn't force a move, he didn't hand in a transfer request and he went to one of the two teams virtually all South Americans want to be at. Torres, put in a transfer at the end of the window and went to Chelsea.

Also, even though Suarez had his problems and we don't know just how long he wanted to leave for, he still gave 110% effort in, even when he was training with the reserves. Torres looked like he couldn't give a f**k for the first half of the season to which he left in.

So the only thing that doesn't smell right is your understanding of the differences between the two players departure from the club.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,230 posts | 6356 
      Reply #5087: Dec 30, 2014 10:54:09 pm
      Difference is Suarez didn't do it to go to a rival,

Haha brilliant, yes that is exactly what Suarez was thinking in the build up to the game or in the game "I know, I will bite someone so I can get a move away from Liverpool". Hahaha get to f**k pal, he wasn't giving us the slightest bit of thought whilst on the pitch for his country.

Yes Suarez did use us as a stepping stone but he didn't force a move, he didn't hand in a transfer request and he went to one of the two teams virtually all South Americans want to be at. Torres, put in a transfer at the end of the window and went to Chelsea.

Also, even though Suarez had his problems and we don't know just how long he wanted to leave for, he still gave 110% effort in, even when he was training with the reserves. Torres looked like he couldn't give a f**k for the first half of the season to which he left in.

So the only thing that doesn't smell right is your understanding of the differences between the two players departure from the club.

You are blinded by your bias, that's ok, like I said...I have a soft spot for Torres and that plays into my perception, but at the end of the day, two very VERY similar circumstances...and because you loved Luis...you give him more leeway in your condemnation.

I also don't truly believe that Torres ever wanted to leave Liverpool but things that transpired with H&G and then FSG caused him to change his mind. Luis always knew he was going to leave us so all of the blowing kisses and talking about how he loved the city and the fans and such, that was all BS. He loved what it would do for his career. Whilst I think Torres really did love us, but had the wrong voices in his ear and started to believe that he needed to go elsewhere to better his career.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5088: Dec 30, 2014 11:23:05 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5089: Dec 31, 2014 12:57:05 am
      You are blinded by your bias, that's ok, like I said...I have a soft spot for Torres and that plays into my perception, but at the end of the day, two very VERY similar circumstances...and because you loved Luis...you give him more leeway in your condemnation.

Haha okay, you keep telling yourself that pal if it makes you feel better.
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #5090: Dec 31, 2014 03:03:28 am

I also don't truly believe that Torres ever wanted to leave Liverpool but things that transpired with H&G and then FSG caused him to change his mind. Luis always knew he was going to leave us so all of the blowing kisses and talking about how he loved the city and the fans and such, that was all BS. He loved what it would do for his career. Whilst I think Torres really did love us, but had the wrong voices in his ear and started to believe that he needed to go elsewhere to better his career.
      I would welcome Suarez with open arms,but not Torres. They were both great players for LFC, but the fact Suarez always gave 100% even when he didn't want to be here can do things with you.

Just a detail, I'm a Feyenoord fan and her rival is Ajax, which was a former club of Suarez. I absolute hated him because he was disgusting in Holland. He was diving, he was kicking players and he was getting other players cards. I was a little unhappy when he came, I knew he was a great player who would improve Liverpool, but he was also an unlike able player. But he stole my heart by working his arse of in good and bad times.

Suarez left Liverpool in a very very good way. He always said Barcelona was his dream club so I expected him to leave in the summer. When he left he didn't say anything bad about Liverpool or their fans .Although Liverpool have down few things that he didn't like for sure. He actually said very nice things.

Then we have Torres. He was a great striker and a normal player. He wouldn't do something weird. I absolutely loved him as a player. But in 2010-11(I think) he was absolutely sh*t. Well, I don't care if a player is sh*t if he is atleast working his arse of like Kuyt. But he was just walking on the pitch like Balotelli, it looked like he didn't care about everyone else except himself.

Then the winter of 2011 came. Sad times at the club, Hodgson was gone, we were midtable. Torres was forced in a transfer if I don't mistake. I didn't hate him for going to Chelsea, a rival, because I think it was is his only option. But what he said after was an absolute disgrace. He kept talking sh*t about LFC. Like it was a F***ing prison. And that has made him very unlike able for me. I hoped he failed at Chelsea because all the things he said. He doesn't care about a club, he only cares about money and cups.

Suarez came in for me like a player I didn't like, but left as 1 of my favorite player. And he's still 1 of my favorite player. I always hoped for him the best and I'm actually watching Barcelona sometimes, only because of this special man. While Torres came in like a player I liked, but left as a player who doesn't mean anything for me.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,230 posts | 6356 
      Reply #5091: Dec 31, 2014 03:20:07 pm
      Haha okay, you keep telling yourself that pal if it makes you feel better.

Has nothing to do with how I feel, I'm merely communicating perceptions and facts. Not worth getting emotional about.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #5092: Dec 31, 2014 03:41:34 pm
      F**k Torres. He left us for a few medals and a fat salary without earning either. But I still get a chuckle out of us selling a player in rapid decline to the Chavs for £50 million!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5093: Jan 01, 2015 11:24:12 pm
      Has nothing to do with how I feel, I'm merely communicating perceptions and facts. Not worth getting emotional about.

Don't worry mate, not getting emotional at all, you've got that sorted enough for the both of us  :gt-happyup:

There was always going to be a minority that would welcome Torres back, nothing wrong with that, way of life.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,230 posts | 6356 
      Reply #5094: Jan 02, 2015 12:35:35 am
      Don't worry mate, not getting emotional at all, you've got that sorted enough for the both of us  :gt-happyup:

There was always going to be a minority that would welcome Torres back, nothing wrong with that, way of life.
      I don't know that I would welcome him back, he's obviously past it and isn't any better than what we have. I just wasn't as upset about Suarez leaving as Torres.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5095: Jan 02, 2015 12:41:45 am
      I don't know that I would welcome him back, he's obviously past it and isn't any better than what we have. I just wasn't as upset about Suarez leaving as Torres.

Fair enough.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #5096: Jan 15, 2015 07:06:50 pm
      Just scored a very good finish against Real at the Bernabeu after just a minute!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5097: Jan 15, 2015 07:12:48 pm
      I hope he flourishes there to be honest, the Atletico fans deserve to witness Torres in the form he was for us, they were the club who raised him.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5098: Jan 15, 2015 07:27:53 pm
      Just scored a very good finish against Real at the Bernabeu after just a minute!

Now 1-1, this could get nasty.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #5099: Jan 15, 2015 08:06:54 pm
      2-1 Torres less than a minute in the 2nd half.

Not quite finished yet is Nando!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #5100: Jan 15, 2015 08:15:30 pm

Simeone is an intelligent manager unlike the 17 managers he player under with the Chavs this one will know how to use him properly.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #5101: Jan 15, 2015 10:38:18 pm

Maybe not.

Am I the only one that, now the dust has really settled on him leaving us, wouldn't mind seeing him hit a bit of form and the old Torres show himself for a while?

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5102: Jan 15, 2015 10:47:48 pm
      Maybe not.

Am I the only one that, now the dust has really settled on him leaving us, wouldn't mind seeing him hit a bit of form and the old Torres show himself for a while?

No you're not the only one. I've been as big a detractor of Torres since he left us unceremoniously 4 years ago, but as RedLFCBlood said, I would never begrudge him the chance to shine again at his original club.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #5103: Jan 15, 2015 10:49:50 pm
      Who cares?

Plastic Chav.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5104: Jan 15, 2015 10:54:24 pm
      Hope the kid hits form, ill advised into leaving us.
      « Last Edit: Jan 16, 2015 10:18:21 pm by Shabs »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5105: Jan 16, 2015 12:25:13 am

This. Couldn't care less about him, be pretty amusing too if he had a miserable time back with Atletico IMO.

Quick Reply