Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sky Atlantic

Read 1740 times
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Sky Atlantic
      Feb 01, 2011 04:17:19 pm
      Sky Atlantic: Broadcaster launches home for US shows
      Broadcaster BSkyB has launched a satellite channel dedicated to programmes made by US broadcaster HBO.

Sky Atlantic debuts at 8pm on 1 February and will showcase hit US TV in the UK.

Boardwalk Empire will make its UK debut on the new channel - it's set in the prohibition era and stars Steve Buscemi and Scottish actress Kelly MacDonald.

Its first episode, directed by Martin Scorsese, pulled in close to five million US viewers.

The show tells the story of Nucky Thompson (Steve Buscemi), a gangster of Irish descent who is treasurer of Atlantic City.

Buscemi's girlfriend in the show is played by Paz de la Huerta
      With prohibition in effect, he runs an illegal alcohol empire and must balance his life as a politician with an ongoing gang war.

Hit US dramas
      Former Trainspotting actress MacDonald plays a young Irish immigrant seeking her fortune in the USA who finds herself caught up in Thompson's world.

Season 1 has won a series of US awards, with Buscemi claiming best actor at the Screen Actors Guilds - and a second season has already been commissioned.

Sky Atlantic will also show hit US dramas like Entourage, Blue Bloods and Bored To Death plus some HBO shows which have already enjoyed UK success, like The Sopranos or The Wire.

Later this year it will give a UK debut to fantasy drama Game Of Thrones, which stars Sean Bean, and five-part mini series Mildred Pierce, which features Kate Winslett.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12336545

Looking forward to that 'Boardwalk Empire' which starts tonight
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: Sky Atlantic
      Reply #1: Feb 01, 2011 04:39:24 pm
      Seen a few of the episodes online and if you are a fan of gangster/crime movies and TV, like I am, you will love Boardwalk Empire.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2: Feb 01, 2011 05:11:59 pm
      F***ing Sky!  :f_steam:

Hate them.

I wish we had Cable in our area.

Even the blurb is America! (No offence) but FFS. :mad:

If there is anything good, they buy it and screw you to watch it.... I'm off to the Library.... Oh hang on they closed it.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #3: Feb 01, 2011 05:15:04 pm
      Bloody hate Sky and Murdoch but this is a fantastic channel for us in the UK.

HBO is full of quality programming and has made some of the best shows of the last decade. I think Sky bought the rights to most of their back catalog so as well as seeing Boardwalk Empire (which was actually on Sky 1 in the UK) there will be re-runs of the Sopranos, Mad Men, and doubtlessly some of the mini-series like Band of Brothers, the Pacific etc. Unfortunately I'm with Virgin and it's only free for Sky customers, so I'll stick to my torrents!

Season one of Boardwalk Empire already done and sitting in my folder waiting to be viewed 8)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4: Feb 01, 2011 05:28:43 pm
      Season one of Boardwalk Empire already done and sitting in my folder waiting to be viewed 8)

You'll not be disappointed mate!
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #5: Feb 01, 2011 08:07:08 pm
      Game of Thrones will be the best show to air this year, barring none.  The books are sensational and having met some of the cast and crew on it, I can safely say HBO will do the books justice on screen.

Have only seen the pilot for Boardwalk Empire so far but I'll be watching it again tonight.  It was outstanding.

Also looking forward to re-runs of The Sopranos and Six Feet Under.  I'd like to see Mad Men too but I think they're only showing it from where the BBC left off.

Quick Reply