Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

White Stripes Split

Read 3691 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,176 posts | 8550 
      White Stripes Split
      Feb 03, 2011 08:33:44 pm
      White Stripes announce 'split' after 13 years together

The White Stripes have announced they have split up, saying they will "make no further new recordings or perform live".

The Detroit duo of Jack and Meg White thanked fans for their support in a statement on their website.

They added that they were calling it a day for a "myriad of reasons, but mostly to preserve what is beautiful and special about the band."

The group formed 13 years ago and released six studio albums.

In a career which lasted over a decade the band headlined a number of major UK festivals including Glastonbury in 2005.

Giving their reasons for the parting Jack and Meg said it was not "due to artistic differences or lack of wanting to continue, nor any health issues".

The statement said they hoped the news would not be met with "sorrow" from fans but seen as a "positive move".

Best known for tracks including Hotel Yorba, Fell In Love With A Girl and Seven Nation Army the band won numerous awards including five Grammys and one Brit award.

The pair released their most recent album Icky Thump in 2007.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12351234

The White Stripes would like to announce that today, February 2nd, 2011,
      their band has officially ended and will make no further new recordings or perform live.

The reason is not due to artistic differences or lack of wanting to continue, nor any
      health issues as both Meg and Jack are feeling fine and in good health.

It is for a myriad of reasons, but mostly to preserve What is beautiful and special about
      the band and have it stay that way.

Meg and Jack want to thank every one of their fans and admirers for the incredible
      support they have given throughout the 13 plus years of the White Stripes’ intense and
      incredible career.

Third Man Records will continue to put out unreleased live and studio recordings from
      The White Stripes in their Vault Subscription record club, as well as through regular
      channels.

Both Meg and Jack hope this decision isn’t met with sorrow by their fans but that it is
      seen as a positive move done out of respect for the art and music that the band has
      created. It is also done with the utmost respect to those fans who’ve shared in those
      creations, with their feelings considered greatly.

With that in mind the band have this to say:

“The White Stripes do not belong to Meg and Jack anymore. The White Stripes belong
      to you now and you can do with it whatever you want. The beauty of art and music is
      that it can last forever if people want it to. Thank you for sharing this experience. Your
      involvement will never be lost on us and we are truly grateful.”

Sincerely,
      Meg and Jack White
      The White Stripes

http://www.whitestripes.com/

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: White Stripes Split
      Reply #1: Feb 04, 2011 12:07:00 am
      Not really all that bothered, but I really like that message they gave out. Especially the last paragraph.

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Feb 04, 2011 02:04:07 am
      There's puns waiting to explode from this story.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Feb 04, 2011 02:13:13 am
      Ah come on!!

Meg's rumoured to have joined the Black Lines?
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #4: Feb 04, 2011 11:39:44 am
      gutted tbh. Really loved the band. Was waiting for that live comeback ever since 2007. Never got to see them live, shame. :(
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #5: Feb 04, 2011 11:44:44 am
      gutted tbh. Really loved the band. Was waiting for that live comeback ever since 2007. Never got to see them live, shame. :(

Me neither, but over the past year and a half I really got to appreciate their music and their unique style.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #6: Feb 18, 2011 04:50:52 pm
      I was never the biggest fan of them, but I do like Jack White. He seems to be very passionate about what he does, in a very positive way, and I can only admire it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,176 posts | 8550 
      Reply #7: Feb 18, 2011 07:51:38 pm
      I was never the biggest fan of them, but I do like Jack White. He seems to be very passionate about what he does, in a very positive way, and I can only admire it.

Have to say he was excellent when I saw him with The Raconteurs.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #8: Feb 18, 2011 08:05:10 pm

Made a big mistake there I did. This was years ago and before I really appreciated bands much more than for their singles or hit songs. I bought Broken Boy Soldiers after 'Steady As She Goes', a brilliant song, and didn't like the album so through it down the back of my bed and when I went to get it, was all damaged :(
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #9: Feb 18, 2011 08:09:31 pm
      Jack White theme song for the 007 film (can't remember each one) was boss too.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10: Feb 18, 2011 08:14:51 pm
      DUN dun dun dun dun dun DUN!. ... 8)

The White Stripes - 'Seven Nation Army'
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: Feb 18, 2011 08:17:01 pm
      Alicia Keys Ft. Jack White - Another Way To Die [ HQ ] MV

(woohoo, dailymotion isn't blocked here at work ;D)
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #12: Feb 18, 2011 08:17:35 pm
      (woohoo, dailymotion isn't blocked here at work ;D)
      You're lucky  :(
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #13: Feb 21, 2011 12:36:01 am
      The White Stripes - 'Jolene'

Really love this version.

Just downloaded their discography, I think I never gave them the attention they deserved.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,176 posts | 8550 
      Reply #14: Feb 21, 2011 12:40:06 am

Excellent live, remember seeing them perform this in Blackpool.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #15: Feb 21, 2011 01:46:33 am

Many Shades of Black - Glastonbury

Boss song that!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16: Feb 22, 2011 11:40:48 pm
      Man!! The Raconteurs really are brilliant!

Been listening to their albums all day long, and they're both great.

"Carolina Drama" is one of the best, but I could mention nearly all their songs as my favourites. Amazing.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #17: Feb 23, 2011 01:58:09 pm
      I will never form another band
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/feb/23/jack-white-stripes

Two bands manned ... Jack White will plough on with the Raconteurs, the Dead Weather and his solo work following the White Stripes' demise. Photo: Rex Features

Jack White has announced that he will never form another band. Three weeks after the dissolution of the White Stripes, White said he is content to express himself through the Raconteurs, the Dead Weather and his solo work.

"I won't join another band again," White told Q magazine (via DIY). "Three's enough for one lifetime. If I can't say it in any of these bands, then I'll say it by myself."

The White Stripes weren't Jack White's first band, but they were close. While they debuted in 1997, it took three albums for the group to cross over to the mainstream: White only became a star with 2001's White Blood Cells and the single Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground. He formed the Raconteurs, whose sound is more pop-rock, in 2005 and the psych-bluesy Dead Weather, fronted by Alison Mosshart, in 2009.

It hardly seems a stretch to restrict oneself to two different world-famous, festival-touring bands. But while the Raconteurs and the Dead Weather would keep the average musician very busy, White is a musical workaholic, running a record label – Third Man – producing albums for Loretta Lynn and Wanda Jackson, and recording solos for everyone from Alicia Keys to Beck to Jay-Z. He has even recorded a cameo with Danger Mouse's new project, Rome. All the same, there was a particular alchemy to the White Stripes, and none of White's other projects offer the opportunity to hear him play stripped-down garage-blues with Meg White.

In 2007, White talked to the Onion AV Club about what made the White Stripes special. "There's an overall structure of simplicity, and it revolves around Meg's drumming style," he said. "It can't be beat. We can't do those structures in the Raconteurs. We couldn't do them if we wanted to ... In the Raconteurs, there's so many more components, so many more personalities involved." One way or another, we hope White hasn't left that simplicity behind.

I'm dissapointed because I was more of a White Stripes fan than one of The Raconteurs. Never really got into The Dead Weather.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #18: Feb 23, 2011 02:05:29 pm
      So are the just white lines now. . . I'll get my coat. . . Or did they really merge and become a blank page of ideas. . . Ok seriously that's it
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #19: Feb 23, 2011 02:11:22 pm
      I will never form another band
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/feb/23/jack-white-stripes

Two bands manned ... Jack White will plough on with the Raconteurs, the Dead Weather and his solo work following the White Stripes' demise. Photo: Rex Features

Jack White has announced that he will never form another band. Three weeks after the dissolution of the White Stripes, White said he is content to express himself through the Raconteurs, the Dead Weather and his solo work.

"I won't join another band again," White told Q magazine (via DIY). "Three's enough for one lifetime. If I can't say it in any of these bands, then I'll say it by myself."

The White Stripes weren't Jack White's first band, but they were close. While they debuted in 1997, it took three albums for the group to cross over to the mainstream: White only became a star with 2001's White Blood Cells and the single Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground. He formed the Raconteurs, whose sound is more pop-rock, in 2005 and the psych-bluesy Dead Weather, fronted by Alison Mosshart, in 2009.

It hardly seems a stretch to restrict oneself to two different world-famous, festival-touring bands. But while the Raconteurs and the Dead Weather would keep the average musician very busy, White is a musical workaholic, running a record label – Third Man – producing albums for Loretta Lynn and Wanda Jackson, and recording solos for everyone from Alicia Keys to Beck to Jay-Z. He has even recorded a cameo with Danger Mouse's new project, Rome. All the same, there was a particular alchemy to the White Stripes, and none of White's other projects offer the opportunity to hear him play stripped-down garage-blues with Meg White.

In 2007, White talked to the Onion AV Club about what made the White Stripes special. "There's an overall structure of simplicity, and it revolves around Meg's drumming style," he said. "It can't be beat. We can't do those structures in the Raconteurs. We couldn't do them if we wanted to ... In the Raconteurs, there's so many more components, so many more personalities involved." One way or another, we hope White hasn't left that simplicity behind.

I'm dissapointed because I was more of a White Stripes fan than one of The Raconteurs. Never really got into The Dead Weather.

Now I can rest easy. Think everything he's ever done has been sh*te personally.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #20: Feb 23, 2011 02:18:53 pm
      Now I can rest easy. Think everything he's ever done has been sh*te personally.

:o  :o

What?? I'll respect your opinion but you are actually the first ever person I have heard say that. What did you make of the Macherano chant when he was here?

Quick Reply