Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Pub Landlady vs Premier League

Read 4358 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Pub Landlady vs Premier League
      Feb 03, 2011 09:58:25 pm
      Pub landlady goes 1-0 up over cheaper TV football

A south coast pub landlady has gone 1-0 up in her longrunning battle against the multibillion-pound English Premier League, after the EU's highest court was advised to rule in her favour.

The case, which began with Karen Murphy defending her right to show English Premier League matches beamed in from Greece to a handful of drinkers at the Red, White and Blue pub in Portsmouth, could have far-reaching ramifications for sport, broadcasting and consumers.

In a decision that could change the way sports rights are sold across the continent, the European court of justice was advised that forbidding pubs from buying in cheap football coverage from overseas operators was incompatible with European law.

If the advice is followed, it will affect everyone from armchair football fans to pub landlords and well remunerated players and potentially undermine a model that has fuelled the Premier League boom years.

Murphy was taken to court by a company representing the league over her decision to import a Greek decoder to show the games rather than paying Sky, which holds the rights in the UK. She has fought the case all the way to the highest European court.

As well as the criminal case against Murphy, civil cases against two importers of the decoder cards are being considered in parallel.

Juliane Kokott, one of the eight advocate generals of the European court of justice, advised that selling on a territory-by-territory basis represented a "serious impairment of freedom to provide services", adding that the "economic exploitation of the [TV] rights is not is not undermined by the use of foreign decoder cards as the corresponding charges have been paid for those cards".

Because Murphy had paid the legitimate rights holder in Greece, she was entitled to receive its satellite broadcasts. "Whilst those charges are not as high as the charges imposed in the UK there is ... no specific right to charge different prices for a work in each member state," Kokott said. Selling on a basis of territorial exclusivity was "tantamount to profiting from the elimination of the internal market".

In the short term, the decision could allow pubs to show matches on a Saturday at 3pm, which the football authorities have long argued wouldresult in lower league attendances. It could also allow consumers to buy cheaper subscriptions from continental providers, assuming they had the correct kit, in preference to Sky.

In the longer term, that would probably force the Premier League to sell its rights on a pan-European basis to a single media group – a scenario that could impact on its revenues and throw up its own European competition issues.

While Kokott's opinion is not binding, the Luxembourg court follows the advice of advocate generals in most cases. The court is expected to deliver its verdict later this year, which will then be handed down to the high court in London.

Given any appeals, it is likely the legal process will continue beyond the Premier League's next rights auction. The current three-year deal runs until next season and brought in £3.5bn, of which £1.4bn was paid by overseas broadcasters.

The Premier League will fight its corner, backed by other rights holders including sporting bodies such as Uefa and the Hollywood studios. A spokesman said it did not believe the advice of the advocate general was compatible with EU case law and accused it of trying to force a pan-European licensing model through the courts rather than going through "the proper consultative and legislative processes to change the law".

Murphy's solicitor, Paul Dixon, said the development was "a huge boost to our case" but he remained cautious. "This is only an opinion and the judges do not have to follow it."

When the case reached Europe last year, Murphy said she planned to fight to the end: "I think it's unjust. I think it's a greedy private company trying to dictate to the small people what they can and cannot do, purely for profit. The law needs changing. If I don't fight, who is going to fight?"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/03/pub-landlady-premier-league-television-rights
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Re: Pub Landlady vs Premier League
      Reply #1: Feb 03, 2011 10:05:37 pm
      I go to a pub in my town to watch all Liverpool matches not on English television.

I think its some Indian channel?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Feb 03, 2011 10:06:59 pm
      Would be funny as F**k watching Murdoch's SKY TV Empire crumble.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #3: Feb 03, 2011 10:25:43 pm
      Hope she wins the case and legally, I can't really see how she won't. But, I'll expect Sky's top lawyers will come up with something to stop it.

One of the lads I work with uses a polish satellite box over here and hasn't had any problems as yet. Although, it is only for home use.

onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #4: Feb 03, 2011 11:49:41 pm
      Surely if she wins the case Sky won't be throwing half the money at the Premiership?

I don't give a sh*te whether she wins or not to be honest, they'll never find my local to shut the Sky Italia down haha!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #5: Feb 03, 2011 11:57:30 pm
      Hope she wins, F***ing make Sky crumble.

Who are they to decide that only they can air matches in this country?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #6: Oct 04, 2011 01:15:39 pm
      BUMP.

All hail the European courts.. ;)

Premier League games can be shown on foreign decoders

A pub landlady has won the latest stage of her fight to air Premier League games using a foreign TV decoder.

Karen Murphy had to pay nearly £8,000 in fines and costs for using a cheaper Greek decoder in her Portsmouth pub to bypass controls over match screening.

But she took her case to the European Court of Justice.

The ECJ now says national laws which prohibit the import, sale or use of foreign decoder cards are contrary to the freedom to provide services.

'Relief'

It said national legislation, which banned the use of overseas decoders, could not "be justified either in light of the objective of protecting intellectual property rights or by the objective of encouraging the public to attend football stadiums".

"I'm relieved, very relieved," Mrs Murphy told BBC Radio 5 live.

"It has been a rollercoaster, highs and lows, nerves... It has been a strange time and I am glad it is coming to an end."

She added: "I feel I have taken on the Premier League and Sky."

Mrs Murphy said she no longer had a decoder box in her Red, White and Blue pub and would wait for the "stamp of approval" from the High Court before reinstating it.

The ECJ findings will now go to the High Court in London, which had sent the matter to the ECJ for guidance, for a final ruling.

However, it is unusual for a member state High Court to pass a different judgement from one provided by the ECJ.
      'Contingency plans'

The decision could trigger a major shake-up for the Premier League and its current exclusive agreements with Sky Sports and ESPN, and pave the way to cheaper viewing of foreign broadcasts for fans of top-flight English games.

"In practical terms, the Premier League will now have to decide how it wishes to re-tender its rights," said sports media lawyer Daniel Geey of Field Fisher Waterhouse solicitors.

"There can be little doubt it will have contingency plans ready to go and has various options available.

"Be it a pan-EU tender, selling in only certain EU member states or devising a plan to start its own channel, they will be deciding how best to maximise the value of their product to ensure any revenue shortfall is minimised."

The judges said the Premier League could not claim copyright over Premier League matches as they could not considered to be an author's own "intellectual creation" and, therefore, to be "works" for the purposes of EU copyright law.
      Copyright issues

However, the ECJ did add that while live matches were not protected by copyright, any surrounding media, such as any opening video sequence, the Premier League anthem, pre-recorded films showing highlights of recent Premier League matches and various graphics, were "works" protected by copyright.

To use any of these extra parts associated of a broadcast, a pub would need the permission of the Premier League.

It remains to be seen whether pubs could broadcast match action without using any of these Premier League "extras" and thus breaching the league's copyright.

By ensuring that its branding was on screen all the time, the league may be able to claim pubs were in breach of this ECJ ruling on copyright.

'Resilient'

"It's not a decision that the Premier League or its clubs wanted," Wolves chief executive Jez Moxey told BBC Radio WM after the ECJ ruling was made.

"The Premier League have been aware of the situation and the possibility of the judgement going against them for some time now and have been assessing how it will sell TV rights going forward.

"Football has shown itself to be a resilient business."

He said the Premier's League's financial model had been challenged by the ECJ ruling, and any future sales would need to take the court's decision into account.

'Confused picture'

"On the face of it, it looks like a blow for the Premier League and... broadcasters Sky and ESPN," said BBC sport editor David Bond.

But he said the Premier League had faced many regulatory challenges in the past and would find ways to get round the new situation.

"The League insists the ruling is not clear cut, pointing to a part of the judgment which appears to offer them copyright protection and requiring pubs to seek their permission if they wish to use foreign decoders," added our correspondent.

"It is a confused picture and it is now up to the High Court to try and interpret the judgment. Whatever happens the league is confident it is not about to suffer a major loss in TV income."

Sky has pumped billions into top flight English football since the league was founded in 1992, with the money given to clubs allowing them to buy some of the top names in the world.

The Premier League's television income from mainland Europe is about £130m, less than 10% of their total £1.4bn overseas rights deal.

However, the court decision could have a significant repercussions for other rights holders outside of sport, with life potentially getting more difficult for the film industry, which also sells its product on an country-by-country basis.
      Satellite signals

The legal battle kicked off six years ago, when Ms Murphy was taken to court for using the Nova firm to show matches at the Red, White and Blue pub.

Using the Greek service, she had paid £118 a month, rather than £480 a month with the official broadcaster.

Licensed broadcasters encrypt satellite signals, with subscribers needing a decoder card to access them.

Ms Murphy took advantage of an offer to UK pubs to use imported cards.

In February, an ECJ advocate general said this was in line with the aims of the EU single market - a border-free zone for goods and services.

The Premier League has already taken action against two suppliers of foreign satellite equipment and a group of pub landlords who used imported decoding equipment to show English Premier League games and avoided the commercial premises subscription fees for Sky.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15162241
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #7: Oct 04, 2011 01:22:59 pm
      Could Skys bubble be about to burst?

Will be interesting to see how this plays out in the long run.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #8: Oct 04, 2011 03:21:06 pm
      Pubs are closing left right and centre.  One of the big attractions was going to watch the footie on the tele at the weekend or whenever.

To charge a pub £1000 a month is scandalous in my opinion.  I don't run a pub, but it seems at that kind of price you are completely wiping out the small local pub.

These satellites orbit the entire planet.  Sky are operating a cartel.  If fans want to go to the trouble and expense of installing a different satellite system to pick up a signal that is being beamed at them, then as far as I can see Sky have no right to deny it.  It's called free trade and I'm surprised they have been able to get away with it for so long.

Sky and the Premier League, clubs and rich footballers have made fortunes out of the pockets of the ordinary man and woman.  They should both be reminded that it is the fans that are responsible for their being a product to sell in the first place.

Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #9: Oct 04, 2011 03:58:07 pm

Sky and the Premier League, clubs and rich footballers have made fortunes out of the pockets of the ordinary man and woman.  They should both be reminded that it is the fans that are responsible for their being a product to sell in the first place.

Would be funny as f**k watching Murdoch's SKY TV Empire crumble.

Agreed 100% :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Oct 04, 2011 04:54:16 pm
      I thought she still lost the right to broadcast even though the deal could move to a pan European system.

PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #11: Oct 04, 2011 05:01:36 pm
      The only decent decision the ECJ has made in a long time
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #12: Oct 04, 2011 06:24:16 pm
      aparently includes viewing at home so get that Satellite searcher out.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13: Oct 04, 2011 06:31:47 pm
      The only decent decision the ECJ has made in a long time

You can say that again!

Kudos to Karen Murphy. Fantastic effort and saying all the right things about those cu*ts at Sky.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #14: Oct 04, 2011 07:01:46 pm
      Death of sky, birth of clubs selling their own games and TV rights.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #15: Oct 04, 2011 07:02:58 pm
      Pubs are closing left right and centre.  One of the big attractions was going to watch the footie on the tele at the weekend or whenever.

To charge a pub £1000 a month is scandalous in my opinion.  I don't run a pub, but it seems at that kind of price you are completely wiping out the small local pub.

These satellites orbit the entire planet.  Sky are operating a cartel.  If fans want to go to the trouble and expense of installing a different satellite system to pick up a signal that is being beamed at them, then as far as I can see Sky have no right to deny it.  It's called free trade and I'm surprised they have been able to get away with it for so long.

It is scandalous what these fuckers charge,my mate was running the millstone pub in macclesfield with "legit"sky and was getting charged £1200 a month!!!!!!!!£1200 F***ing quid, the tw*ts.

Unsurprisingley he packed the pub game in,then a new couple came in and got irish sky with 3oclock kick offs on a saturday and pays£200 a month.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #16: Oct 04, 2011 07:56:32 pm

Unless there is a ready made replacement for the SkySports Premier League TV deal, the eventual downfall of SkySports might have huge consequences on the Premier League ... For further reference, look at the Kirch's bankruptcy in 2002, and it's effect on the Bundesliga ...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #17: Oct 04, 2011 08:06:16 pm
      Unless there is a ready made replacement for the SkySports Premier League TV deal, the eventual downfall of SkySports might have huge consequences on the Premier League ... For further reference, look at the Kirch's bankruptcy in 2002, and it's effect on the Bundesliga ...

But look at Formula One. That was majority owned by Kirch back then and it's doing pretty well out of all the sports. I briefly recall the Kirch collapse and it's potential effect on f1 (only briefly because I was 11 back then so it was a bit too much for me to know what was going on) but it's very much turned the other way following Kirch's demise. F1's a much bigger sport than it was 10 years ago. Of course bigger but not necessarily better. If the Premier League can be clever like Bernie was with F1 then they can get more potential out of it than they are with just one mighty broadcaster backing them. But with that big eared inbred tw*t Scudamore in charge of proceedings then you can doubt that ever happening.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #18: Oct 04, 2011 08:39:12 pm
      Bernie should retire from Formula One and spend a few years in the Premier League. Set up payments to the teams based on league position, wins and prestige. Liverpool would do well out of such a shift to an F1 style of payments, much like Ferrari did.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #19: Oct 04, 2011 11:55:43 pm
      I thought she still lost the right to broadcast even though the deal could move to a pan European system.

I think I heard the Premier League and Sky would try and use the copyright on their logos to stop it racer.

I didn't hear the full story just a bit on the news and they were talking about this.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20: Oct 05, 2011 12:09:40 am
      That's the one. It's not finished yet. Far too much at stake. Clubs could be negotiating their own deals yet. If Setanta bought Liverpool's I'd be laughing. Mind you if Sky got them I'd be back to square one.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #21: Oct 05, 2011 12:47:12 am
      I think I heard the Premier League and Sky would try and use the copyright on their logos to stop it racer.

Logos can be blurred or pixellated.

The fact is that as football clubs have got more and more money from TV, what has happened is that the big clubs feel they are subsidising the small clubs.  I think every club gets about £20M each a season, some get a bit more for having more games - and then obviously the prize money for league finish.

Now Liverpool and United must be wondering why they are subsidising the likes of Bolton etc.

Even if the big clubs go it alone and 'only' bring in the same amount of money they won't be subsidising their opposition.

Gut feeling is that UK or European rights will continue to be a joint Premier League deal, but for the rest of the world individual clubs will start selling their rights individually.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #22: Oct 05, 2011 12:48:01 am
      When clubs start negotiating their own deals, the breach between small and big clubs will further enalrge. Clubs with big international fan bases will get hundreds of times more money than the rest.
      Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea will get the big bucks.

Quick Reply