Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Favorite TV Show on DVD/Netflix

Read 4570 times
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Favorite TV Show on DVD/Netflix
      Feb 07, 2011 07:57:23 pm
      What is everyone's favorite TV Show to watch in DVD/Netflix form, allowing you to keep watching episodes back-to-back? A few of my personal favorites in no particular order:

1) Heroes, Season 1: The plot was so good. That show went every which way and it was brilliant. Really tough to top (and they never did).

2) Entourage: I have trouble stopping this one.

3) Friday Night Lights: I just started Season One, and my god is it good. Some of the happenings are rather predictable, but the character development and story-lines within the show are unbelievably good. Also very well directed and shot.

4) Band of Brothers: This one is perfect for a rainy weekend. So good throughout.

I'm struggling to come up with more that I've seen. There are countless others I look forward to watching, but these four stand out to me so far.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Re: Favorite TV Show on DVD/Netflix
      Reply #1: Feb 08, 2011 12:43:51 am
      1)  Firefly....Great show. Mix of old west and Sci Fi.  Strange combination but works well. Great casting and Joss Whedon's writing is awesome.

2)  Angel... Another Joss Whedon show.  Was the Buffy spin-off but I think it surpassed Buffy in writing, plots and characters.

3)  Top Gear (UK)...Hilarious, Informative. The type of show I would do.  I love seeing "True" reviews of the cars and not just lame hype and uninformative "Commercial" reviews. Hosts are funny as hell and I love to see a dude drive a Ferrari the way it should be driven, hard and fast. If the cars suck or have problems they will tell it like it is.

4) Man vs Wild.   Bear Grylls is awesome.  Where else do you see a guy drink his own piss out of a dead snakeskin, make a wetsuit from a rotting, dead seal skin or sleep inside the carcass of a dead camel.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2: Feb 08, 2011 03:24:19 pm
      3) Friday Night Lights: I just started Season One, and my god is it good. Some of the happenings are rather predictable, but the character development and story-lines within the show are unbelievably good. Also very well directed and shot.

This is one my favorite shows of the last 10 years. I read the book (great read) and watch the film which was a also good but was very skeptical of how good this show would be but after the first season I was hooked. Shame that this will be the final season for it (series finale is Wednesday) but the show is well written and really does well with all aspects of teenage life (Friends, family, relationships, school, sport).
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #3: Feb 08, 2011 10:18:46 pm
      My favorite tv show is Smallville. I own all the seasons on DVD and can watch them over and over again.

Also love Top Gear UK. I got my dad hooked on the show as well. I watched the first season of Top Gear US. It was okay but the chemistry between the hosts is not there. Hope it goes better as they continue to work together.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Feb 09, 2011 02:48:18 am
      My favorite tv show is Smallville. I own all the seasons on DVD and can watch them over and over again.

Currently watching Season 3, picked up seasons 1-9 brand new for £73.95 with my Xmas amazon vouchers.  Enjoying it.  Got a fairly large TV DVD collection.  In my to watch pile at present is the rest of Smallville, Father Ted, Blackadder, Heroes Seasons 1 & 2 and assorted CSIs.

My collection though includes

24 (Seasons 1-6 + Redemption)
      Alias (Complete)
      American Dad (Sesaon 1)
      The A-Team (Season 1)
      Battlestar Galactica - The Mini Series
      Brasseye
      Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Complete)
      Chuck (Season 1)
      CSI  (Assorted)
      Farscape (Seasons 1-3)
      Firefly
      Friends (Complete)
      House (Season 1)
      Jonathan Creek (All but the 2 most recent specials)
      Knightrider (Original/Complete)
      My Name Is Earl (Season 1)
      Pysch (Seasons 1 & 2)
      Quantum Leap (Season 1)
      Red Dwarf (Complete)
      Scrubs (Season 1)
      Seinfield (Seasons 1 & 2)
      Sliders (Season 1 & 2)
      The Simpsons (Seasons 1-5)
      Stargate SG-1 (Complete)
      Star Trek - Original Series/TNG/DS9/Voyager/Enterprise (Complete)
      Transformers - The 80s Cartoon (Complete) 

Don't own many films though, excluding the Star Trek ones.

My amazon wish list is rather large as well.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #5: Feb 10, 2011 02:07:50 am

Also love Top Gear UK. I got my dad hooked on the show as well. I watched the first season of Top Gear US. It was okay but the chemistry between the hosts is not there. Hope it goes better as they continue to work together.

Yeah I know what you mean.  The UK hosts seem genuinely, to be friends and like eachother. I love Hammond and Clarkson and May is perfect as the level headed one. To be honest I dont know how they get away with half the sh*t they do. Its brilliant.

The Top Gear US version is a bit forced. I like the hosts but the chemistry is not their yet.  With the exception of the "Office",  which I actually think is funnier than the UK version, and I love Gervais too. However, not too many UK shows transfer well to the US market. Which is a bit disappointing because their are so many great UK shows which should be shown here. Instead they take the name and the same plot but instead of leaving it to its own merits they try and "Americanize" it and it just takes away the originality. The UK shows are fresh and original and not the same pedantic crap that we produce here.

The US Top Gear is just a poor immitation and unoriginal.  They should use the base content and challenges but try and make it fresh and they dont.  I have watched dozens of the UK version and only a few US versions.

Along with Top Gear I think "Merlin" and the new "Sherlock Holmes" are fantastic.  I am really looking forward to more seasons and episodes.  I also want to see more "Primeval".  Another great original show with good writing and story lines.
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #6: Feb 12, 2011 10:52:24 pm
      1) Heroes, Season 1: The plot was so good. That show went every which way and it was brilliant. Really tough to top (and they never did).

4) Band of Brothers: This one is perfect for a rainy weekend. So good throughout.

How good was that first season and what the F**k happened?

Band of Brothers is also quality.

For me, though, I go back to Arrested Development. Every episode is a gem and you only have to dedicate 24 minutes, more or less.

The wife & I are about to re-visit Deadwood. Loved this so much and was so unhappy when they canceled it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #7: Feb 12, 2011 10:59:38 pm
      Love Band of Brothers but my favourites to watch back to back have been The Sopranos and The West Wing.

Two of the best TV shows ever.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #8: Feb 13, 2011 01:33:52 am
      For me, though, I go back to Arrested Development. Every episode is a gem and you only have to dedicate 24 minutes, more or less.

A channel is here is showing it all again, first episode was on tonight, jesus how young does Michael Cera look in it!

Seen all the first series, just need to the second and third. 
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #9: Feb 13, 2011 12:54:52 pm
      The wife & I are about to re-visit Deadwood. Loved this so much and was so unhappy when they canceled it.

Funny you should say that, I was watching Death Race on Friday evening and seeing Ian McShane gave me the urge to re-visit season one of Deadwood.  Got up to the trial of Jack McCall last night, going to give it another whirl this evening.  I swear that show is practically Shakespeare, if it wasn't for the pure perfection of The Wire, it just might be the best written show ever. ;)

I watch most shows on DVD so it'd be a long list but some of my favourite ones are 24, Band of Brothers, Breaking Bad, Carnivale, Deadwood, Fringe, Rome, Supernatural, Twin Peaks and The Wire.  There's a few others that I watch when they air but still buy the DVDs.
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #10: Feb 13, 2011 01:41:14 pm
      24, Band of Brothers, Breaking Bad, Carnivale, Deadwood, Fringe, Rome, Supernatural, Twin Peaks and The Wire.

Carnivale is another one that we loved and were sorry to see end. What a great show.

Band of brothers goes without saying.

I haven't had the time to watch Breaking Bad or The Wire, but I very much want to.

Fringe has been great.

kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #11: Feb 14, 2011 10:57:02 pm
      Love Band of Brothers but my favourites to watch back to back have been The Sopranos and The West Wing.

Two of the best TV shows ever.

My god how did I forget the West Wing, and I haven't even finished it. This show led me to major in Political Science, although working for a politician wasn't quite the same as in the show :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #12: Feb 15, 2011 12:17:08 am
      My god how did I forget the West Wing, and I haven't even finished it. This show led me to major in Political Science, although working for a politician wasn't quite the same as in the show :)

It's excellent isn't it!

What season are you up to mate?
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #13: Feb 17, 2011 01:45:57 am
      I stopped around 4, though I've seen some of 6. I know what happens as Wikipedia got me one day. I think I'll catch up when I'm done with Friday Night Lights. Season 2 of that has been massive so far. My goodness.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #14: Apr 18, 2011 04:19:41 am
      Watching the remastered versions of Star Trek - The Original Series.  Kudos to the guys who did the job, they certainly didn't (George) Lucas it up.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #15: Apr 18, 2011 03:09:14 pm
      I found where I can watch Misfits online. I love the show.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #16: Apr 18, 2011 03:18:16 pm
      Misfits and The Inbetweeners are both boss!

Quick Reply