Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Jon Flanagan (Liverpool > Rangers)

Read 140149 times
      robbieisgod23/9
      Re: John Flanagan Player Thread
      Reply #115: Jul 09, 2011 12:11:50 am
      Nice one flanno.. i was sat four rows from the front of the lower centenary against man city.. i said to my mate within the first 5 minutes you had it.. learn from the best around you and you will be a legend at this club

Ingo
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      • Brazilian by birth, Scouser by choice :)
      Reply #116: Jul 09, 2011 12:30:06 am
      Amazing attitude! Couldn't be happier for him, he truly deserves everything that is going on for him lately!
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #117: Jul 09, 2011 01:51:58 am
      Absolutely love this lad. "Who is your defensive hero?" Just Jamie Carragher. "Where do you want to see yourself in 5 years" In Liverpools 1st team.

Top F***ing stuff Flanno lad. Wants to improve his forward play, which for me, shows how much everyone rates him defensively. Get in
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #118: Jul 10, 2011 02:43:35 pm
      After getting rid of hicks/gillette, bringing in Kenny and the signing of Suarez, the emergence of Flanno was the next best thing to come out of last season. Very impressed with this kid, he's got pace, is a good passer, tenacious in the tackle, good composure for such a young lad and his anticipation + positional sense also seem to be very good. This kid has got a very bright future and if I was Glen Johnson I'd be hoping the club don't find a new left back because that may be where he ends up finding himself.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #119: Jul 10, 2011 06:55:31 pm
      I am very happy because i have very high hopes for the boy. what impresses me about him is his determination and the fact that he is not afraid to rise up to occasions and when he makes mistakes he just moves on. 
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #120: Jul 11, 2011 11:49:31 am
      Excellent article from Tony Barrett

Flanagan's Contract Shows He Is The Real Deal
      ONE of the best football books of recent times is The Secret Diary Of A Liverpool Scout, the story of how Geoff Twentyman helped create a dynasty of success at Anfield through an inspired recruitment process that saw a succession of top players signed long before they had become household names. There are times, though, that you don’t need the expert eye of a scouting legend like Twentyman to identify and appreciate top talent simply because it stands out so much that anyone can spot it.

It happens only occasionally but think back to Michael Owen’s one man demolition job on Manchester United in the FA Youth Cup when, at just 16 years of age he scored a stunning hat trick to confirm suspicions that he was a star in the making. An incident involving Wayne Rooney in the same competition also springs to mind when the then Everton youngster had a right footed 30-yard free kick blocked by the Tottenham wall only to smash the rebound into the back of the net with his left. Anyone sat in the stands on those occasions could see that Owen and Rooney would make it and they did.

It isn’t always goals that make young players stand out, though, and in the case of Jonathan Flanagan, who this week confirmed his rise from youth ranks to first team by signing a richly deserved four year contract, he’s probably long since forgotten the moment when he convinced a lot of seasoned Anfield watchers that he had what it takes to graduate from Liverpool’s Academy with honours.

It came in an under-18 game against Everton at Finch Farm, a derby that was as ferociously competitive as any that have been seen at senior levels in recent times. Liverpool ended up winning an enthralling contest 4-3 but the scoreline wasn’t the most significant thing that happened that day – Flanagan’s coming of age took that honour.

Flanagan had been on the receiving end of a stray elbow from an Everton player which the referee missed and he was clearly upset at the challenge. It would have been easy for him to react the wrong way and perhaps get himself into a bit of trouble but he calmly got on with the game, letting his football do the talking instead of being drawn into doing something foolish.

That showed his growing maturity but it didn't suggest he was losing his competitive edge because when the chance came to let his aggressor know that he wouldn't be bullied Flanagan took it, producing a tackle of such ferocity that his opponent ended up not knowing which part of his body required treatment the most. Best of all, though, was the fact that Flanagan had taken the ball, it was the cleanest of tackles but also one of immense power. In a single instance, he had passed tests of temperament, physicality and skill. From that point on, the Childwall-born youngster’s rise to the first team was as inspirational as it was inevitable.

Even with all the positive signals there was still a degree of trepidation for many when Flanagan made his first team debut against Manchester City at Anfield towards the end of last season. No matter how talented a young player is or how good people are expecting him to be, no-one knows for sure how they will acquit themselves at the highest level before they have actually attempted it. In Flanagan’s case, though, perhaps there should have been no such worries because as his outstanding performance that night ultimately proved, he has passed every single test of his fledgling career with flying colours. After the game, the only surprise for Kenny Dalglish was that anyone was surprised at just how well Flanagan had done. The manager had never had any doubts and – apart from being the only thing that really matters – that goes to show just how talented the 18-year-old is.

From that point on Flanagan has never looked out of place in the first team and more importantly he looked every inch a proper Liverpool player. Good on the ball, unstintingly competitive and fully committed to the cause, Flanagan is hewn from the same granite rock as the very best Scouse full backs. Think of the likes of Tommy Smith and Gerry Byrne and you get an idea of the tradition that Flanagan is following. He may have a long way to go before he can live up to their legendary standards but he could not have made a better start to doing so.

The long term contract that Dalglish has rewarded him with is evidence of just how highly thought of he is. The same goes for the fact that when Liverpool’s scouting department assessed the strengths and weaknesses of the first team squad in order to identify potential transfer targets,  the one position they felt did not need strengthening was right back. That was down to Flanagan’s emergence. Should he continue his current rate of improvement and progression then he could go on to be a Liverpool regular for years to come and if the giant strides he has made in the last couple of years are anything to go by then it is easy to visualise a future in which the versatile defender has a key role to play for the club he has supported since he was a boy.

Having set such high standards for himself so early in his career the challenge for Flanagan is to keep on proving time and time again that he can reach those levels. But all the indications are that he is up to that task of continuing his flawless transition from youth team to first team and Dalglish, the man who matters most, has supreme confidence in his protégé.

"He just needs to continue to build on the good start he's made,” the Liverpool manager said earlier this week.” He never got carried away with the success he had and the many complimentary words that were spoken about him, and I'm sure he won't get carried away with signing a new contract. Sometimes you rest on your laurels but I'm sure he won't."

Praise doesn’t come much higher than that and in the case of Jonathan Flanagan it could not be more richly deserved.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #121: Aug 03, 2011 12:33:24 am
      Bumped just because this kid does not deserve to be at the bottom of the page, been a great player when we needed it last season and a beast even during this pre-season...one could say he has been our most consistent defender the last 5-6 months.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #122: Aug 03, 2011 02:30:19 am
      Played left back last game too...answer to our problems? He's stepping up more than Robinson. With Kelly, Dagger and Flanno we have a great future at the back.
      Sami92
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #123: Aug 03, 2011 02:52:10 am
      Really excited about both Flanagan and Robinson. Both are very comfortable slotting into the team, especially considering their ages. The only thing really holding them back slightly (and probably Robinson more than Flanagan) is strength and their size. We have to remember, these lads are still growing, they're not even fully developed yet. They've still got a lot of natural muscle to put on, aided with the fitness team and gym work. These lads can only go onto big things.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #124: Aug 07, 2011 01:35:16 pm
      Seems like Kenny has found a new position for him. It'll be really interesting to see him as a defensive midfielder as he's the strongest in the tackle and very sound defensively. We've also Kelly there as back-up for the RB and he would not get too many games if any there next season. Loaning him to Bolton would be the best option though as it seems every player Coyle touches turns into the next great English prospect.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #125: Aug 13, 2011 04:54:26 pm
      had a nightmare today imo
      Suarez-7
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 12 
      Reply #126: Aug 13, 2011 04:56:39 pm
      He was F***ing sh*te today
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #127: Aug 13, 2011 05:07:43 pm
      I've praised him so so highly when he's played well, so to be fair I have to give him a bit of a hard time after today's performance.

Quite a few times he needlessly gave the ball away, and he was at fault for leaving Seb unmarked at the back post for their goal.

I thought before the game that Kelly should've started because he has a bit more experience, and I think Kenny got it wrong playing Flanno instead of Martin.

Get it sorted for next match mate!
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #128: Aug 13, 2011 05:12:17 pm
      Couple of mistakes, one was costly. Get off his back.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #129: Aug 13, 2011 06:23:08 pm
      Was poor today but nevertheless a great prospect for the future, i am sure he will get back to the consistent Flanagan we have seen in the past, but think it would be too much pressure to start him against Arsenal, give Kelly a chance then force Flanagan to win his place back.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #130: Aug 13, 2011 06:36:36 pm
      Well...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #131: Aug 13, 2011 06:43:38 pm
      No doubt he was poor today, both in defense and going forward.

Hope he can move on from this, for now I think he needs time in the reserves.
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #132: Aug 13, 2011 06:46:12 pm
      He was the worst on the pitch for us today. Cost us the goal, and offensively offered nothing at all. Every time he gets it, he has two touches, one to tee it up, and one to pass, and then never makes an offensive run. This is was one of the reasons why Henderson was so anonymous for large portions of the game, because while Enrique and Suarez were providing so much support for Downing on the other side, Henderson was alone.

Terrible game from Flanagan, cost us the 3 points.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #133: Aug 13, 2011 06:50:53 pm
      Good to see our fans getting behind the young lad after his first bad performance in a red shirt.

Some f**king embarrassing comments on here.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #134: Aug 13, 2011 06:53:04 pm

Didn't know we lost the game :D
      LFCkl
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 365 posts |
      Reply #135: Aug 13, 2011 07:07:40 pm
      Good to see our fans getting behind the young lad after his first bad performance in a red shirt.

Some f**king embarrassing comments on here.

Completely agree. Give the lad a break, he's 18 and he's only played a handful of games for us. He must of been doing something right in training for Kenny to start him over Kelly. If he doesn't get games then how is he going to gain experience and improve? Some pathetic people on these forums not giving the lad a chance.

How can you blame the result on one individual player? We are a team, therefore every player is responsible. What about the ref? If he had allowed Carroll's goal then we would have 3 points. What about Suarez? If he had scored the pen then we would of had 3 points. Flanno had a bad game, but I'm sure he will learn a lot from it and will continue improving.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #136: Aug 13, 2011 07:08:41 pm

A win is 4 points then? :lmao:
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #137: Aug 13, 2011 07:15:22 pm

'the 3 points' is a win. he cost us a win, therefore cost us 'the 3 points'...

Completely agree. Give the lad a break, he's 18 and he's only played a handful of games for us. He must of been doing something right in training for Kenny to start him over Kelly. If he doesn't get games then how is he going to gain experience and improve? Some pathetic people on these forums not giving the lad a chance.

How can you blame the result on one individual player? We are a team, therefore every player is responsible. What about the ref? If he had allowed Carroll's goal then we would have 3 points. What about Suarez? If he had scored the pen then we would of had 3 points. Flanno had a bad game, but I'm sure he will learn a lot from it and will continue improving.

I judge every player on their own merits, and the same way that a lot of people hype up a young player after one good game, I can find his faults after a bad one. And there's no point complaining about the referee... That shouldn't have been a penalty in the first place, it was extremely soft, and yet, because he did get it, it should have been a red card too. You can claim the referee makes mistakes both ways. The reason I blame Flanagan however, is because bar that one moment of poor marking, which resulted in us conceding, we didn't look like conceding at all.

Quick Reply