Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Jon Flanagan (Liverpool > Rangers)

Read 139247 times
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Re: Jon Flanagan Player Thread
      Reply #506: Apr 06, 2014 06:53:31 pm
      Just saw an interview of Carra back in 1997, and he looked uncannily like Flanno in that video  :laugh:
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #507: Apr 06, 2014 07:07:15 pm
      I though the lad done very well today against a side that had two aims, get wide and cross, and kick the sh*t out of us.

He was a wise head on young shoulders once again, played smart and didn't do anything silly. (Think he gave away one free out wide late on though?) Other than that it was a fine defensive performance. He wasn't 100% with his passing and attacking, especially in the first half, but he done exactly what was needed of him today. Well done Flanno!

And btw, what the f*ck was he doing up there for the 2nd pen!? :D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #508: Apr 06, 2014 07:15:10 pm
      I though the lad done very well today against a side that had two aims, get wide and cross, and kick the sh*t out of us.

He was a wise head on young shoulders once again, played smart and didn't do anything silly. (Think he gave away one free out wide late on though?) Other than that it was a fine defensive performance. He wasn't 100% with his passing and attacking, especially in the first half, but he done exactly what was needed of him today. Well done Flanno!

And btw, what the f*ck was he doing up there for the 2nd pen!? :D

Trying to win THIS
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #509: Apr 06, 2014 07:21:29 pm

No doubt, and fair play to the lad. I was just surprised to see him there as opposed to our forwards.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #510: Apr 06, 2014 07:23:20 pm
      No doubt, and fair play to the lad. I was just surprised to see him there as opposed to our forwards.

I know :D

Nice to see such passion to get a win.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #511: Apr 06, 2014 07:31:25 pm
      I know :D

Nice to see such passion to get a win.

Definitely, and it nice he got his reward for chasing it too. Should encourage a few more attacks from the Scouse Cafu! :D
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #512: Apr 06, 2014 11:18:35 pm
      We've got a right gem here lads and i think  he'll be around for years to come .
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #513: Apr 06, 2014 11:28:42 pm
      We've got a right gem here lads and i think  he'll be around for years to come .

Could be right mate and it was interesting in Carra's documentary after the game today saying that "it was a bit of a standing joke" that we kept buying players in his position but he kept pushing them down the ladder. Flanno may have to take that same route too as I've little doubt that we're going to be buying a LB in the Summer and Flanno will have another battle on his hands.

Coentrao is the latest name to be thrown in the hat, I'm sure there'll be many. Whoever we get though will have the Scouse Cafa chomping at the bit to keep that shirt now he's had a good meal of it.

Really can see the Carra comparisons running and running. Was beaten a couple of times today by Diame and thought he was poor in the previous game but his game is developing well. As Kopite91 said to see him in the box trying to win the game and it wasn't the only time he appeared in the box shows a new string to his bow that wasn't there before and I'm never going to count him out.

Well in Flanno.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #514: Apr 06, 2014 11:39:07 pm
      Could be right mate and it was interesting in Carra's documentary after the game today saying that "it was a bit of a standing joke" that we kept buying players in his position but he kept pushing them down the ladder. Flanno may have to take that same route too as I've little doubt that we're going to be buying a LB in the Summer and Flanno will have another battle on his hands.

Coentrao is the latest name to be thrown in the hat, I'm sure there'll be many. Whoever we get though will have the Scouse Cafa chomping at the bit to keep that shirt now he's had a good meal of it.

Really can see the Carra comparisons running and running. Was beaten a couple of times today by Diame and thought he was poor in the previous game but his game is developing well. As Kopite91 said to see him in the box trying to win the game and it wasn't the only time he appeared in the box shows a new string to his bow that wasn't there before and I'm never going to count him out.

Well in Flanno.
      Agreed Luke , i heard some stat that Flanno was the most dribbled past Defender in the league , i don't know if that's the truth or just sh*t talk but i do know he has grit and guile . When he was brought down in the box today he didn't lie down he continued on playing while on the ground .

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #515: Apr 14, 2014 05:47:36 pm
      You've got to love Flanno and the big occasion doesn't seem to phase him and it's hard to imagine us lining up without him now.

Another crunching tackle yesterday added to his growing collection as well.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #516: Apr 14, 2014 05:57:32 pm
      Could Jon Flanagan be the reason we don't go in for somebody like Moreno or Luke Shaw? Or could we potentially have Moreno/Shaw and Flanagan as our left and right backs?

I think the lad has been incredible and his crunching tackles are immense. Was an old school challenge he made on Milner yesterday and was good to see it not get blown up for a foul for once.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #517: Apr 14, 2014 09:34:33 pm
      Could Jon Flanagan be the reason we don't go in for somebody like Moreno or Luke Shaw? Or could we potentially have Moreno/Shaw and Flanagan as our left and right backs?

I think the lad has been incredible and his crunching tackles are immense. Was an old school challenge he made on Milner yesterday and was good to see it not get blown up for a foul for once.

Agreed. I can't imagine our back four without him.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #518: Apr 15, 2014 12:57:47 am
      Crunching tackle aside he was done very easily by the 1-2 in the second half on too many occasions.

One lead to a goal he was ballwatching and a few other times Milner sweeped past him to cut across goals like he wasn't there.. Not discrediting his performance but more of a wathcpoint for me and a hope it's something he will work on, he's only a young wee lad who has done exceptionally well.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #519: Apr 15, 2014 01:09:17 am

I wouldn't turn down reinforcements, especially with the fixture list we'll have next season. But I do get goosebumps thinking about the fact that Flanno should only get better year after year.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #520: Apr 15, 2014 03:28:46 pm
      Flanno on the right, Shaw on the left. Sorted ;)

His lack of pace does hold him back but he dealt with Navas superbly when he was on. I think he only let him get one pass in to the box (the Fernandinho effort) but other than that he was great again.

That tackle on Milner was felt by me thousands of miles away. F***ing crunched him!
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #521: Apr 16, 2014 11:29:45 am
      I've seen that "lack of pace" line for a few times now mate. Not saying Flano is lightning quick but I don't think he's slow either.   
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #522: Apr 16, 2014 11:37:17 am
      I don't think Flanagan is slow.
      Maybe he gets caught out of position slightly.
      Surely that's what happens when you are encouraged to
      think with an attacking mentality.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #523: Apr 16, 2014 11:45:54 am
      I wouldn't turn down reinforcements, especially with the fixture list we'll have next season. But I do get goosebumps thinking about the fact that Flanno should only get better year after year.

I'm not saying turn down reinforcements. The point I was making was with Flanagan playing so well at left back do we need to go out and spend 20-30m on a left back?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #524: Apr 16, 2014 02:30:23 pm
      I'm not saying turn down reinforcements. The point I was making was with Flanagan playing so well at left back do we need to go out and spend 20-30m on a left back?

Sure, if Brendan wants one ;)
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #525: Apr 16, 2014 10:54:36 pm
      Agreed. I can't imagine our back four without him.

I absolutely can. Players like Baines or Shaw are on another level, for example. Not saying he is not a good player, he has proven he can play and deliver week in week out, but let's not make him seem bigger than he is. Only time will tell, since he is so young, but I wouldn't mind having a more experienced and skilled LB to compete with him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #526: May 10, 2014 02:53:04 pm
      Is it true Gaurdiola told Lahm to watch tape of Flanagan? I saw it somewhere but couldn't verify the truthfulness.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #527: May 10, 2014 05:08:38 pm
      Is it true Gaurdiola told Lahm to watch tape of Flanagan? I saw it somewhere but couldn't verify the truthfulness.

Surely it would be the other way around?

I was actually thinking the other day that Flanno reminds me a wee bit of Lahm.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #528: May 10, 2014 09:05:53 pm
      Surely it would be the other way around?

I was actually thinking the other day that Flanno reminds me a wee bit of Lahm.

This is what the tweet said that I saw
      Guardiola: "I made Lahm watch and analyse Flanagan's games for Liverpool this season, I think it has really improved Philipp's game"

Quick Reply