Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Andre Wisdom Player Thread

Read 73691 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Re: Andre Wisdom Player Thread
      Reply #322: Oct 22, 2014 07:54:26 am
      Each time I saw him play for Derby, he was good. His performances for us in the 1st team was decent too. For me, It was enough to warrant a stay and for Rodgers to nurture him instead of bringing in a player on a 2 year loan :(

This is just nit picking i guess. I just would've prefer Rodgers to have taken a gamble on Wisdom rather than Manquillo. There is nothing better than seeing a youth player rising into prominence and becoming establish CL quality player, nothing at all.

I agree with you bringing our own youth players up through to the first team. Funnily enough I always thought Big Andre had all the physical attributes to play CB rather than full back. Not sure if he has ever played many games at CB?

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #323: Oct 22, 2014 10:29:33 am
      The decision to nurture Manquillo instead of Wisdom is baffling. Was there really that much of a difference between those 2 when Rodgers decided to bring Manquillo in? We even had Flanno.

Anyway, Manquillo has been playing well, but I feel Wisdom would've been just as good.

I agree with you bringing our own youth players up through to the first team. Funnily enough I always thought Big Andre had all the physical attributes to play CB rather than full back. Not sure if he has ever played many games at CB?

The thing with CB's is there's a huge step up from youth football to professional level.  They need to learn their trade as a "defender" before being thrown in at the deep end, this is why they usually make the step up at FB.  It's easy to look at this move with hindsight and say he'd have been better staying, as I doubt very much that Brendan is thinking of him long term as a FB but as a CB.

The decision to bring in Manquillo was meant to be as cover for Glen and Flanno, nobody expected him to play as much as he has but due to the injuries both have suffered we've had no choice. 

Brendan needs Andre to be playing regularly at as high a level as possible and that's exactly what he's doing, in his eyes he wouldn't have been getting that if he'd stayed.

We've not had much success with the loan system over recent years and I can understand why a lot of fans feel it's a death nell for the player when they do, however this is one of the reasons Brendan got rid of Rodolfo and McParland.  Brendan uses the loan system to give the lads playing time in preparation for their senior career at Anfield.  Some will come back as a success, others won't.

Andre is a superb CB, he's strong, an excellent header, great tackler, a good passer and he reads the game well but he needs playing time to make mistakes and learn from them away from the limelight.  You can see how much he's improved in the last 12 months or so and he will only get better.

We have two excellent, young, right sided CB's away on loan in Andre and Ilori and for me it's no surprise that Brendan didn't replace Skrtel in the summer, as these two are our future.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #324: Dec 21, 2014 12:23:50 pm
      Would be my preferred option to partner Skrtel if I'm honest. Sakho is big and strong but always looks uncomfortable on the ball. Lovren has just been a disaster, and tends to switch off at set pieces.

Wisdom just seems to keep it simple, exactly what you need with a centre half.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #325: Dec 21, 2014 12:53:44 pm
      Would be my preferred option to partner Skrtel if I'm honest. Sakho is big and strong but always looks uncomfortable on the ball. Lovren has just been a disaster, and tends to switch off at set pieces.

Besides the fact that Wisdom isn't playing centre half at the moment and hasn't done in quite a while? Not sure how you can draw such a conclusion about how Wisdom plays at centre half.

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #326: Jan 27, 2015 04:49:22 pm
      hopefully he becomes a regular and he and Flanno battle it out for that RWB/RCB slot so CAN can sit next to lucas in the middle.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #327: Jan 27, 2015 05:09:29 pm
      hopefully he becomes a regular and he and Flanno battle it out for that RWB/RCB slot so CAN can sit next to lucas in the middle.

Taking Henderson out of the team already? :D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #328: Jan 27, 2015 05:15:46 pm

Sakho is perfectly comfortable on the ball, and his passing is the best of all our CB's.

Lovren needs time to bed in is all, and ge5t used to how BR wants him to play.

Wisdom is not yet anywhere near the level required to play CB for us.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #329: Jan 27, 2015 05:24:39 pm
      Sakho is perfectly comfortable on the ball, and his passing is the best of all our CB's.

Lovren needs time to bed in is all, and ge5t used to how BR wants him to play.

Wisdom is not yet anywhere near the level required to play CB for us.

When will people start realising this? The mind boggles.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #330: Jan 27, 2015 05:35:11 pm

I think it's because he looks awkward that people assume he is.

Definitely a case of watching the player instead of the pass.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #331: Jan 27, 2015 11:37:22 pm

It's because he looks like Bambi on ice at the same time.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #332: Jan 28, 2015 03:51:18 am
      I think it's because he looks awkward that people assume he is.

Definitely a case of watching the player instead of the pass.

Did you see him last night? Could of given 2 goals away with silly slack passing. Minute he turns into his right foot my hearts in my mouth
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #333: Jan 28, 2015 12:37:52 pm
      can i just confirm this topic is about wisdom and not sakho  :mad:

back to Wisdom (the topic) hopefully we have him and flanno keeping johson out the side.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #334: Mar 20, 2015 01:14:28 pm
      He could come back in and do a great job as a RCB now a RWB. i think he could be a very useful asset to provide competition in that role.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #335: Mar 20, 2015 10:13:52 pm
      He could come back in and do a great job as a RCB now a RWB. i think he could be a very useful asset to provide competition in that role.

I don't think he will be coming back, not good enough unfortunately hell he can't even get a game at West Brom.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #336: Mar 20, 2015 10:19:56 pm
      I don't think he will be coming back, not good enough unfortunately hell he can't even get a game at West Brom.

That could be more to do with Pulis rather than Andre though mate.  I could be wrong of course but I do think he could do a job at RCB although I can't see him at WB.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #337: Mar 20, 2015 10:53:25 pm
      That could be more to do with Pulis rather than Andre though mate.  I could be wrong of course but I do think he could do a job at RCB although I can't see him at WB.

You might be right but I just don't see the ball playing skills from Andre like our Sakho and Can.
      If anybody is going to take that place assuming Can moves into midfield and we carry on with the back 3 it will be llori.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #338: Mar 20, 2015 11:03:23 pm
      You might be right but I just don't see the ball playing skills from Andre like our Sakho and Can.
      If anybody is going to take that place assuming Can moves into midfield and we carry on with the back 3 it will be llori.

I think Ilori will too but we still need back ups.  Weirdly the change to 3 at the back actually opens up more options for our young defenders out on loan.  It offers more protection to the CBs than a 2 so it's less risky playing an inexperienced defender.

Young Williams has a chance too as he has played at CB before being moved to DM, Brendan seems to trust him too. 
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #339: Mar 20, 2015 11:05:11 pm
      Cracking young player in the Academy team, I'd love to see him make it at Anfield. Probably get another chance to prove himself in the reserves next season, and maybe the odd cup game.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #340: Mar 20, 2015 11:08:39 pm
      I think Ilori will too but we still need back ups.  Weirdly the change to 3 at the back actually opens up more options for our young defenders out on loan.  It offers more protection to the CBs than a 2 so it's less risky playing an inexperienced defender.

Young Williams has a chance too as he has played at CB before being moved to DM, Brendan seems to trust him too. 

I have a feeling Toure will be offered another year and of course we still have future captain so there won't be that many chances of first team games for the fringe players.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #341: Mar 20, 2015 11:16:41 pm
      I have a feeling Toure will be offered another year and of course we still have future captai so there won't be that many chances of first team games for the fringe players.

The day Lovren becomes captain, is the day I chop of my nuts, and change my name to Susie!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #342: Mar 20, 2015 11:18:49 pm
      I have a feeling Toure will be offered another year and of course we still have future captain so there won't be that many chances of first team games for the fringe players.

You could very well be right mate.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #343: Mar 21, 2015 01:19:12 am
      Solid player, would be far preferable to have him rather than Manquillo.

The futile mature of the Manquillo transfer suggests our transfer strategy definitely needs ironing out. He's cheap but is it any wonder considering his performances? He has shown nothing - Liverpool must aspire for much much better than constantly buying dead wood as back up players.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #344: Mar 21, 2015 02:25:53 am

Bout a year ago now that he almost broke his neck vs. Ronaldo; 20 years old, has not played a whole lot. New Country, new language, new league, system and manager.

You think after everything the past 5 years we would learn not to f**k a player off after such a short time and at such a young age.

As for the players we buy, you better believe as long as FSG is around there will be a couple of Manquillo's and Alberto's every year.

Alberto,Illori, Origi, Coates...its all the same idea, some will stick, some will not...low downside, potential big upside.
      « Last Edit: Mar 21, 2015 02:39:30 am by AZPatriot »

Quick Reply