Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

Styles dropped after Anfield blunder

Read 4191 times
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Styles dropped after Anfield blunder
      Aug 20, 2007 12:32:26 pm
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156747070820-1213.htm

Rob Styles has been dropped from next weekend's Barclays Premier League refereeing list after his penalty blunder at Anfield on Sunday.
      Styles has admitted he made an error in awarding Chelsea a second half penalty which allowed them to draw level after Fernando Torres had given Liverpool the lead.

Referees chief Keith Hackett has now confirmed Styles will be given next weekend off following the fall out from the controversial decision
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2007 01:21:41 pm by JD, Reason: Title changed from CAPS »
      livercool
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -5 
      Re: STYLES DROPPED AFTER ANFIELD BLUNDER
      Reply #1: Aug 20, 2007 01:21:31 pm
      yeah ! i still say reffs should be replace during games if they f*uckup
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Re: Styles dropped after Anfield blunder
      Reply #2: Aug 20, 2007 01:28:35 pm
      I see he will be ommitted for one week only,never liked Styles he struts around with that smug look on his face.

He is not even good enough for Conference (appologies to any Conference officials).

I still MAD that we did not take the three points!!!!!!!!!
      KopQueen
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 526 posts |
      Reply #3: Aug 20, 2007 01:41:27 pm
      Serve his f**king right! T*sser.
      Euro5
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      • Come On You RED MEN
      Reply #4: Aug 20, 2007 01:50:28 pm
      sorry, being left out to referee for one week is not good enough, he should be fined wages and resit a test of some sort involving eyesight.

and as for moriniho saying that Chelsea are naive and have no violent players or divers then he also needs to have eye examination as I'm sure plenty if not all watched terry rub browse or attempt to head but torres.

W****r

drogba is a prolific diver in previous seasons and essien is a dirty fouling b*****d

and I'm glad that malouda has joined Chelsea as he also looks very dirty i.e the clipping of Gerrard's heels and obviously the dive that cost us all 3 points.

Rafa is right in saying he doesn't want players who demand too much money. he only wants players who want to play for lfc.

and thats why malouda went where the money was greater.

REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #5: Aug 20, 2007 04:00:27 pm
      At least we have a little justice,even though this mug cost us two points.It was plain too see that this joker was giving any 50/50 decision to the chavs,it was obvious they would get a pen.This prat should never referee in the top flight again.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #6: Aug 20, 2007 04:00:33 pm
      Dropped?he should have got sacked if i didnt perform at work id be sacked.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #7: Aug 20, 2007 04:55:18 pm
      He should be fined. If you messed up at a high paid job at some 9 to 5 thing you'd either be fired or heavily fined/demoted. Not just referee's either, players who cheat and dive should be fined HEAVILY (most of their weeks wage) and banned for games.

There's no ref I have ever hated, and I don't hate Styles, as it's even clear to him he made a mistake (as you  will see if you read the article. He says he made the mistake...) but that won't stop me wanting him seriously fined. One game ain't enuf.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,629 posts | 6939 
      Reply #8: Aug 20, 2007 05:01:29 pm
      He has come out himself and apologised now.

"All referees enter into matches hoping not to make any mistakes but understanding that they may happen, what none of us want is for any mistake to potentially affect the result of the match.

"Yesterday, in mistakenly awarding a penalty, I accept that I may have affected the result of the match and for that I apologise."
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,202 posts | 2797 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #9: Aug 20, 2007 05:48:28 pm
      right so he apolagised. what if we finish 2nd this year a point or 2 behind the winners what use is his apolagy then? not much

im fuming over it but im going to throw it back in everyones face when we get a desicion we shouldnt. i really really think that long term  it might work in our favour what i mean is the lads will be well up to put it right in the next game and the game after that and when we play them at the bridge. they might bond more from this
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #10: Aug 20, 2007 07:31:06 pm
      After he as apologies do we get our two points back as well?I think not! AND Chelski lose one as well? I think not again....
      redtilded
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #11: Aug 20, 2007 07:52:15 pm
      does the apology come with the deletion of carras yellow card!!
      Me thinks not!!

CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #12: Aug 20, 2007 07:53:04 pm
      "Yesterday, in mistakenly awarding a penalty, I accept that I may have affected the result of the match and for that I apologise."

May have affected the result? Is he taking the piss? He gifted them something to take home from a match they were losing!

Apologies are all well and good but we're the ones who are being punished! 2 points could be a massive difference come next May!
      slimdogg
      • Forum John Barnes

• 407 posts |
      Reply #13: Aug 20, 2007 08:37:45 pm
      Is his brother in charge at the Exeter v York match bad penalty decision if you watchin it on Setanta
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #14: Aug 20, 2007 09:06:58 pm
      All refs make mistakes as do all players and managers. The difference is, players and managers have to be recountable for thier mistakes and thier lively hood depends on the consequenses. The refs have to answer to nobody with any bottle or sanity. Stiles should be removed from the prem list. Alternatively, when the mistake is of this magnitude, the outcome should be rectified by a panel of footy pro's after the match and points lost as a result of mistakes should be reinstated. The only option is video replay as in the rugby on major decisions. If the reds lose the title to chelki by one point it could cost us upward of 40 mill quid. What of stiles one week suspension then ?
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #15: Aug 21, 2007 03:45:36 am
      Im just saying, while he takes his holiday next weekend, dont be suprised if you see stiles cruising around in a brand new ferrari with a couple 100,000 pounds in his front seat and a license plate that says "Thanks Roman".....
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #16: Aug 21, 2007 09:11:27 am
      Im just saying, while he takes his holiday next weekend, dont be suprised if you see stiles cruising around in a brand new ferrari with a couple 100,000 pounds in his front seat and a license plate that says "Thanks Roman".....

thought exactly the same myself  ;)  chelsea havent lost a game that he's officiated, strange that isnt it ?  >:(
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #17: Aug 21, 2007 11:04:14 am
      thought exactly the same myself  ;)  chelsea havent lost a game that he's officiated, strange that isnt it ?  >:(

How many games has he refereed that involve Chelsea?
      evadbur
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 43 posts |
      Reply #18: Aug 21, 2007 11:31:30 am
      From the BBC's Football Gossip pages:

Under-fire ref Rob Styles is on the board of the firm which paved the driveway of Chelsea's billionaire owner Roman Abramovich - although referees' chiefs have cleared him of any conflict of interest. (Various)
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #19: Aug 21, 2007 11:32:38 am
      Not sure about numbers, saw the comment on another site, but get a load of this, surely this man should be sacked after these performances.  ???

The Very Worst Of Rob Styles

Rob Styles made his debut as a Premier League referee in 2000, and has been p*ssing people off ever since. His collection of boobs in Sunday's Chelski v Liverpool clash were the latest in a long line of decisions that have irked all and sundry, so we pick out some more calls that have made Styles perhaps the most unpopular ref in the country....

Ipswich v ManYoo - 29th April 2002
      In the closing stages of the 2001/2 season, United's title hopes were still just, just, just alive, if they could only win at struggling Ipswich. A lacklustre United team didn't look like doing by themselves, so enter Styles, who awarded Ruud van Nistelrooy a penalty after the horsey striker flung himself groundwards under the slightest of challenges. The Dutchman stuck the kick away, but that was the high point of the last few weeks of the season for United, as they were bundled out of the Champions League three days late by Bayer Leverkeusen, and lost the title a week after that when Arsenal won at Old Trafford. The Tractor Boys had a similarly gloomy following week, going down by four points.

Tottenham v Birmingham - 16th August 2003
      Styles induced the ire of Glenn Hoddle on the first day of the 2003/4 season by awarding Birmingham the most dubious of penalties that gave them a 1-0 win. Curiously, Hoddle seemed to think that Styles was evening the score with Brum after giving some ropey decisions against them in a pre-season game in Malaysia a couple of weeks previously. Hoddle said: "He had a big problem with Birmingham and you could tell he was affected by that. From the first minute I knew it would go against us. The last place he should have been officiating on the first day of the season was St Andrews and that is why we lost." Hoddle was shown the White Hart Lane door a month later.

Middlesbrough v Fulham - 19th April 2005
      With the threat of being dragged into the relegation mire seemingly staved off by a late Brian McBride goal, Fulham were heading for a crucial away win at the Riverside. However, Edwin van der Sar hurtled out of his area to challenge the onrushing Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink in the last minute. The Dutch keeper recklessly cleaned up the Boro striker outside the box, but, after brief consultation with his linesman, Styles pointed to the penalty spot. Bolo Zenden duly tucked away the penalty, and Fulham were denied two vital points.

Arsenal v Chelski - 18th December 2005
      Arsene Wenger was invited to explain his comments about Styles to the FA after the Gooners were denied what turned out to be a perfectly good goal at Highbury. When the score was 0-0, Robin van Persie was set away and tucked home neatly, but for reasons passing understanding he was flagged offside, a decision backed up and confirmed by Styles. Chelski went on to win 2-0, prompting Wenger to declare: "I associate the referee and linesmen in the same team - the Chelsea team."

Chelski v Man City - 25th March 2006
      Chelski plus Styles does usually seem to equal controversy, as Man Citeh fans - or more pertinently Sylvain Distin will testify. Styles somehow allowed a goal from Didier Drogba to stand after the striker clearly controlled the ball with his hand - well, not so much controlled with his hand but damn near caught the thing. An understandably upset Distin begged to differ with such force that he was booked, and then continued his protests as the teams went in for half-time. He must've said something really mean, as Styles showed the then Citeh skipper another yellow just outside the tunnel, but this time he remembered about the first and brandished a red, sparking confusion all round.

Sheffield United v Liverpool - August 19 2006
      Styles was the man in black for the first game of last season, when most observers were put in the incomfortable position of sympathising with Neil Warnock. Steven Gerrard broke into the area, and Chris Morgan hinted at a challenge on the Liverpool skipper. Stevie went a few more steps before crashing to the ground, and Styles pointed to the spot. Robbie Fowler scored, which prompted Warnock to state: "I think Liverpool know they are fortunate because 95 per cent of people associated with the game would not have given a penalty. Unfortunately, one of the five per cent was wearing black and it was his decision and we have to accept it."

On Sunday, Andy Gray said that this call was "the worst decision I have ever seen from a referee. Until today."

Middlesbrough v ManYoo - March 10 2007
      George Boateng was the man left spitting feathers in this FA Cup quarter final, which Middlesbrough were playing well in and heading for a 2-1 win. However, Styles' eagle eye intervened when a Ryan Giggs corner was flicked on by Rio Ferdinand, straight at the hands of the Boro midfielder, standing a foot or two behind Ferdinand. Despite the apparent involuntary nature of the offence, Styles gave the penalty that Cristiano Ronaldo converted. United won the replay 1-0 thanks to another Ronaldo penalty, but the decision still rankled with Boateng, who said: "I am devastated. I can't believe it. The referee has robbed us."

SOURCE Football365.com
      Cy
      Reply #20: Aug 21, 2007 12:43:06 pm
      To be dropped is certainely not the solution but to his credit he didn't make the rule, the FA did. Once again I blame the FA for this situation, Styles blew it BIG time and he should be punished but as always the punishment dosen't fit the crime.

Styles apologised and I'll accept that, yes I'm fuming about that penalty who in the end cost us two points but let me be absolutly clear here, we should never had to argue about this, if we score two goals we would have  the game. The lads played very good but scoring goals will always garantee a win, a ref hardly.

There is no way that we will get these two points back so let's get on with it and make sure that next time we do score enough goals to win the game without counting on ref decision. I'm not defending Styles, but we cannot let ourselves starting to getting upset about ref performance, since the beggining of the season numerous decisions by many refs has been bad ones ( Fulham goal, Gerrard free kick Vs Aston Villa, ect...) Some goes our way some not, this is not the first or last time it will happen.
      moz273
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts | -1 
      Reply #21: Aug 21, 2007 12:52:46 pm
      All I can say on the subject of him being dropped is "good"!!

Is there any chance now that Carragher will have his yellow card for protesting about the awarding of the penalty rescinded? I know he probably sent something to the ref, but if it was anything along the lines of "You know you've got that wrong, you f*cking idiot!!" then surely he has now be proved right?!
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #22: Aug 21, 2007 01:39:41 pm
      Its not like he's the first referee to f**k us over though...

Quick Reply