Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Living in another country

Read 12527 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Living in another country
      Jun 02, 2011 09:40:28 pm
      I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who would like to live in a different country from where you were born, and obviously there are some members (such as Dave) in this situation right now.

I decided to open this thread to talk about it. Why would you want to (or why you do) live somewhere else, the pros and cos of it...

I've always been a bit obsessed with this idea, and am feeling each day more frustrated with the fact it has not happened yet. I have a lot of friends who studied in other countries in high school (like Ingo) or as part of their University courses. My family never had the money to provide me this kind of experience, and believe me, I've asked them for that!! The fact I'd always preferred England, a more expensive destination, than USA, never helped either :D

I'm currently doing a MBA in Sports Business and Marketing, and have been looking for courses abroad as well. I'm also in the process of obtaining the Portuguese citizenship, which would make everything much easier for me in Europe. Those courses are quite expensive though (at least for me), and that is really frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, I love my country and especially my city with all my heart - I'm sure I'd miss it too -, but I've always felt much more of a citizen of the world (pardon for the cliché) than just a Brazilian. I love other cultures and knowing different people. And I feel like now would be the right time for such an experience, as I'm not married (don't even have a girlfriend), don't have kids, already got my University degree etc, the kind of stuff that could be problem.

Anyone ever felt the same?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Living in another country
      Reply #1: Jun 02, 2011 09:50:00 pm
      Well not really a helpful post from me, but I was thinking about the possibility of living abroad yesterday.

It was based around being in an entertainment team in holiday parks across Europe during the summer months.

I personally find Warrington (my town) a rather grim place, and I'm in a bit of a rut. Wouldn't mind leaving it 'all' behind for a while to get some good life experience.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Jun 02, 2011 09:50:00 pm

Ian Rush, he said living in Italy was living in a different country. ;D
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #3: Jun 02, 2011 09:51:46 pm
      I know exactly what you mean Diego. I would love to live in London, England. I have wanted to live there as long as I can remember. I was lucky enough to be able to study abroad there with my university. I spent 10 weeks living, going to school and working while there. It made me fall more in love with the city. I actually didn't even cry when I left my family but I cried leaving London. I know I would miss my family and friends. I am hoping a company will hire me with sponsorship. Otherwise, I hope to get a job and save as much money as I can so I can apply to work and live over there. It seems impossible sometimes, but I tell myself dreams do come true if you put the effort into them.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #4: Jun 02, 2011 09:54:28 pm
      I don't have any great affinity with my country of birth, England (or UK for the pc amongst you). I've never been the sort to get homesick and can make myself at home anywhere so it's a huge shame that I've never had the money, freedom or resources to travel the world. As I'm not well-travelled, my impressions of the world are based almost entirely on what I see in documentories, travel programs and on the internet. One place I've always fancied living is practically on the other side of the world, New Zealand. Not so much because of the people or culture because I don't know enough about it but for the physical landscape. There's such a variety of incredibly beautiful landscapes that I think I could set up home there and never tire of touring the country.
      Having two kids, however, that would be a difficult dream to fulfil.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5: Jun 02, 2011 10:06:17 pm
      My country of preference would be England for various reasons (including football of course), but I'm not obsessed with any particular country though. There are many places where I know I'd probably love living. A change of culture, place, weather, language, all that is really appealing to me. I like to get in touch with people from other places even when I'm traveling inside the borders of my (big) country, but it's not the same. When I was in Liverpool, I made 'friends' even while I was eating a sandwich on Subway (the guy was wearing a Liverpool shirt and I had no one to talk to :P).
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #6: Jun 02, 2011 10:18:06 pm
      If I had to choose to live in another country. It's either Liverpool for obvious reasons, Hawaii or San Diego. Visited the latter two in 2007 and 2008 and I loved my holiday there.

If I do live abroad, I'd like to bring my family, my cousins and basically anyone under the family tree starting from my grandparents, ;D.

Though I have got the chance to live in another country alone in the last two years and another year next year, I still find Malaysia the best place to be. Friends, Family and Food. On Match Days, I just love sitting down at 10 pm after a shower and dinner to enjoy the match.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7: Jun 02, 2011 10:24:49 pm
      Maybe I should stop reading beatnik literature. Sometimes I feel like I should just quit my job, get all the money I have and travel somewhere, without really worrying about the details ;D I'd never have the courage to do that all by myself though :P

As much as I love my friends and family, and think Rio is a spectacular place to live, in those times in which we live in, I feel too provincial with the idea of being born, living and dieing in exactly the same place (even though I was not born in the capital of Rio, but a smaller city in the mountains :D). It may sound stupid to some people, and I don't really know how to explain, I just feel that way.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #8: Jun 02, 2011 10:30:39 pm
      Before i met the Mrs, me and a mate of mine where considering heading over to America to work for a year or so. But met her fell in love (aaahh) and that was the end of that. Would have been a good experience though.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #9: Jun 02, 2011 10:39:15 pm
      One thing to think of Diego is, if you don't do it while you're young you probably never will.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #10: Jun 02, 2011 10:41:27 pm
      I still want to move to Australia for a bit. Being Irish, it's something we just do really, especially in the last 5-10 years among the recently graduated population. Just up sticks and move there for 2 or 3 years. An awful lot of my friends have emigrated in last year too, there's some going every second month like.

I'd love to live in other places like the coast in America or even Spain, but I think it's really Ireland + Australia first choice for me if I get the chance. 

Next year is my final year in Uni, hopefully, and one of my best friends is in the army, his contract is up around the same time so we might head off somewhere.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #11: Jun 02, 2011 10:58:40 pm
      I want to travel alot more and live in a few other countries in my lifetime. I love my country, but I love travelling and experiencing other cultures aswell. I don't really need to live here. I actually considered moving to Sweden when I was dating a Swedish girl. She's actually still a good friend of mine, and the thought of moving to there for a while is still in the back of my head. Ofcourse I won't be going anywhere anytime soon now that I bought a home here.
      « Last Edit: Jun 02, 2011 11:06:29 pm by Dexter »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Jun 02, 2011 11:04:59 pm
      One thing to think of Diego is, if you don't do it while you're young you probably never will.

Yeah, exactly why I feel so frustrated for not having done it yet, and it doesn't look like happening in the near future either.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #13: Jun 02, 2011 11:06:32 pm

Exactly my thoughts.

No use waiting, once you get older, other things take priority and before you know it your lifes over and your regretting not doing it years ago.

Speaking from experience  :D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #14: Jun 02, 2011 11:12:24 pm
      I spent 4 years in Munster, Germany as a kid.  Was just an army brat, but I had some wonderful times over there.  Memories include snow that covered the climbing frame, walks through a forest, that seemed to have play areas every few hundred yards, seating in the front seat of my old man's mini, the birth of my aryan brother, by that I mean he's blonde haired, blue eyed and born in Germany, my little pre-school I went to, it's sand pit, the (huge to me) library in the classroom and they encouraged learning, reading on your own, encouraged you to ask questions, something I found in short supply on my return to the UK and my favourite memory of all, my best mate, at the time, wanted to be white and so asked me to paint him.  I did.  

BIggest disappointment after my old man quit the army, was founding out two weeks later, we would have been shipped out to Hong Kong, still somewhere I'd love to visit.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #15: Jun 02, 2011 11:15:09 pm
      In my last year of school I started planning a trip starting in NY and finishing in Florida, it became quite an obsession and I researched the whole trip. I left school and started work and started saving. Then I started knocking round with a new set of lads, met a girl and blew the lot. Since then I've never been able to get to that financial freedom to do it. I've still travelled but not on 'my trip'.

I've lived in various parts of England since I left school, work-wise. Lived in Gran Canaria for a couple of years. Eire for about the same, Lusk, Dublin & in a bungalow not far from Blanchardstown.

I still don't think I've found the place I'll stay, not sure why but I just feel that I'm missing something and I'll know when I get there that that's the place I'll stay.

If you've got them itchy feet Diego mate don't ignore them, I for one can assure you that the itch will never go. It's not a choice, it's something you've got to do.

In my opinion of course. ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #16: Jun 02, 2011 11:18:02 pm

I know quite a few people who have moved to a different country in their 40s, 50s and 60s.

The 'if you don't do it when you are young' is in my view just an excuse that people make due to making compromises for others.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #17: Jun 03, 2011 12:33:21 am
      It is usually a much bigger hassle though JD. When you're older you might own a home, a car, you might be married, both have jobs, and have kids. To organise a move then is a huge undertaking, and in that situation you won't easily just move to somewhere else for a year. When you're young you often have nothing to worry about when leaving, and you'll return to a similar situation as before. Ofcourse once you're older, in your 60's maybe, when people stop working, sell their house etc. then it gets easier. But even then, not many people will easily leave their kids and grandkids behind.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #18: Jun 03, 2011 04:13:06 am
      I don't have any great affinity with my country of birth, England (or UK for the pc amongst you). I've never been the sort to get homesick and can make myself at home anywhere so it's a huge shame that I've never had the money, freedom or resources to travel the world. As I'm not well-travelled, my impressions of the world are based almost entirely on what I see in documentories, travel programs and on the internet. One place I've always fancied living is practically on the other side of the world, New Zealand. Not so much because of the people or culture because I don't know enough about it but for the physical landscape. There's such a variety of incredibly beautiful landscapes that I think I could set up home there and never tire of touring the country.
      Having two kids, however, that would be a difficult dream to fulfil.
      Just read your post and thought I would add my experience of shifting to New Zealand,Me and my wife sold up and emigrated to New Zealand with 5 kids all under the age of 11, I might add.Now in our case it was a case of having to make it work or go back home with nothing and try and start all over again from scratch.I am retired now but I had jobs here I could not of got in the U.K.,you see I left school at 15 with no qualifications so all though things are different now when I was working if you had the ability to do a job you got it.
                                                                                    If you dream of doing something and do not do it you are likely to live the rest of your life wandering what if,if you do not give it a try you will never know.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #19: Jun 03, 2011 08:14:31 am
      Thanks for the info, Billy, didn't realise you were out there.
      I didn't really explain it in my last post but the 2 kids I have don't live with me, they live with their mum. That makes it impossible to move away as I can't just take them with me. It's a constant source of frustration for me.

Diego, that doesn't sound at all stupid to me, I feel the same. I was born in the city of Stoke-on-Trent and still live here now, at 32. If I get to 50 without having seen more of the world, I will be angry with myself. I have friends here (many have moved away) and my job is here but there's nothing else to tie me to the area.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #20: Jun 03, 2011 10:44:17 am
      I am currently preparing to leave England in about two months to go and live firstly on the road across europe for at least six months. I would then like to settle for at least a year somewhere on the continent, possibly prague. This is due to the fact I feel stuck in a rut in England, I feel I have little in the way of freedom here. I was inspired by the books I read, mainly 'On the Road' by Kerouac and this little quote from Joyce really summed up my feelings:

'I will not serve that in which I no longer believe whether it call itself my home, my fatherland or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use, silence, exile, and cunning.'

I guess I am lucky having youth on my side and the opportunity with no real responsibilities to anyone other than myself.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #21: Jun 03, 2011 03:15:14 pm
      I am currently preparing to leave England in about two months to go and live firstly on the road across europe for at least six months. I would then like to settle for at least a year somewhere on the continent, possibly prague. This is due to the fact I feel stuck in a rut in England, I feel I have little in the way of freedom here. I was inspired by the books I read, mainly 'On the Road' by Kerouac and this little quote from Joyce really summed up my feelings:

'I will not serve that in which I no longer believe whether it call itself my home, my fatherland or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use, silence, exile, and cunning.'

I guess I am lucky having youth on my side and the opportunity with no real responsibilities to anyone other than myself.

I hear you! I wouldn't say beatnik literature is the main reason why I would like to experience different places, as I've wanted that for as long as I can remember, but those books certainly helped a lot to make me feel more and more frustrated and uncomfortable with my current situation.

Thanks for the info, Billy, didn't realise you were out there.
      I didn't really explain it in my last post but the 2 kids I have don't live with me, they live with their mum. That makes it impossible to move away as I can't just take them with me. It's a constant source of frustration for me.

Diego, that doesn't sound at all stupid to me, I feel the same. I was born in the city of Stoke-on-Trent and still live here now, at 32. If I get to 50 without having seen more of the world, I will be angry with myself. I have friends here (many have moved away) and my job is here but there's nothing else to tie me to the area.
      Feel your pain regarding your kids and the impossibility of taking them with you! That's why I'd like to do it as soon as possible, as I can never know what will happen next in my life. One of my best friends just had a son which he wasn't expecting, and as much as he is really happy with it, at the same time he's quite frustrated he's not even finished his studies yet.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #22: Jun 03, 2011 04:14:48 pm
      Its only the winters I hate here. Just spend a few hours on the boat in the glorious sunshine and its perfect when its like this.but winters are getting more and more depressing.
      I have thought of a move abroad and if I thought I could fully integrate into the local society and speak the language fluently I would probably have a go..But having seen how foreigners are thought of here I was thinking along the lines of if you do move abroad dont you become the foreigner.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #23: Jun 03, 2011 04:29:03 pm
      Its only the winters I hate here. Just spend a few hours on the boat in the glorious sunshine and its perfect when its like this.but winters are getting more and more depressing.
      Bit random but bear with me. You remember Sally from Home and Away? I don't know if she's still in it but she used to live in the main house on the caravan park with Pippa and co? Not the best looking but huge breasts?
      Well the actress who plays her now lives in England (or did a couple of years back) and I once saw her in an interview. She was asked what she thought about England and in particular, the weather. You might expect that coming from Australia, she would moan about the cold winter. In fact, she said that she came over during the winter and thought it was fantastic, it was a novelty to her and she couldn't understand why we moan about the weather so much. It wasn't until she witnessed what crap summers we have here that she realised why we moan! If we had long, hot blazing summers then the winters would be easier to tolerate but we don't get that, we just get odd patches of sunshine between dull, grey, wet and windy days.
      the general
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts |
      Reply #24: Jun 03, 2011 06:36:25 pm
      I'm off to uni next year and as part of my degree i decided to do french, so it means i spend a year in the south of France. I can't wait, but the one thing i don't get is that why more people don't go abroad and see the world, cos theres just so much out there to learn from and enjoy.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #25: Jun 03, 2011 07:08:39 pm
      the one thing I don't get is that why more people don't go abroad and see the world, cos theres just so much out there to learn from and enjoy.

$$$$$ :(
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #26: Jun 04, 2011 03:22:25 pm
      Diego I read your posts in this thread and it's like I've typed them :) Feel exactly the same on the subject, except for the moment that I live in a small country, with a bit over 2 million people, in the second biggest city that has only around 100.000 people, which sometimes can be really suffocating. Now, I love my city, my country, and have people in here that mean so much to me, but I have always had a passion for foreign languages, cultures, different countries, people... The English language is my first love, I don't even know when or how I learned it, never went to courses or anything ( probably TV :) ) but it feels like I have always spoken the language, like I was born with it, and from that I have always had this special fascination about England, so this would be my first choice for living in another country. But me living in a country that is not even a member of the EU, with some shity laws about granting visas and stuff, not to even mention the lack of money, it's more than complicated. So it can really get a bit frustrating at times, would love to be at least able and visit the UK.

I also, as you already know, adore your city, but I don't know if would like to live there. Another country that comes to my mind is Spain, would love to spend some time there to, so hopefully one day I'll get my chance to realize my dreams :)

fraggle786
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | 15 
      Reply #27: Jun 07, 2011 11:03:58 am
      I've often felt the same as most on here, stuck in rut and wishing for a way to change things. Have often wished I could up sticks and move to another country, not because I don't like England but because I have kids who are fast growing up and looking around the opportunities for young people in this country seem to be drying up. I also hate the fact that we've become such a liberal minded country that disclipne, respect and family no longer seem to carry any significance.
      I would love to go somewhere like Canada (dont know why - never even been there) or New Zealand.
      derekm323f
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts |
      • Current Location: Newcastle, Australia
      Reply #28: Jun 09, 2011 03:35:22 am
      I've always wanted to live in America. Growing up I used to visit my cousins for the whole of my school holidays and just never want to go home. It never happened..

In 2008 a few of us decided to take a year out and travel around the world. We started in south America, spending 6months traveling around to different countries. After that we moved onto New Zealand for a month. We arrived in Australia in April 2009 and after a month all my mates went home, I wanted to stay on a bit longer so stuck it out. Borrowed money from home so I could and instead of staying a couple months like planned I ended up staying 2yrs. I'm now in my 3rd year here and a student. I love it here, I have a Aussie girlfriend and I can't see myself ever wanting to go back to Ireland. Australia was never a place I wanted to go but merely a stop on my travels and now I call it home.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29: Jun 09, 2011 06:03:59 pm
      I was born in Miami, Florida, but have lived in San Diego since I was 11 (I'm now 25 years old). Before I met my soon-to-be fiancee, I contemplated dropping everything here and moving to either Spain or England. Wales was also a consideration but I'd want to be in a more urban town.

I've talked with my lady about one day leaving San Diego. It is absolutely paradise here. But even in a down economy, house prices are absolutely ridiculous. I make pretty good coin for a 25 year old, but I can't see us owning a home any time soon here. It is ridiculously expensive.

She isn't too keen on leaving, however. She is very, very close to her family. It's a cultural thing (her family is from Mexico), as Mexican families tend to bring up their kids to be reliant on their families until death, generally. I left my dad almost 15 years ago. Like I told her, I've already been completely separated from my family, I can do it again.

I hear you, Diego. The great thing is you clearly are fluent in Portuguese and English, so you'd have no problem integrating in to a few areas off the bat. If you can find the means, I'd recommend it. It is definitely one of those things that if you want to do, you have to do before finding someone you want to spend your life with. Much easier to do as an individual. Plus, if you have an advanced degree, you'll become more marketable as a professional. Best of luck if you decide to leave :)

Until then, after I get my MBA, I'll try to work on getting the lady and I out of San Diego again. I'm not optimistic. Thank goodness it's beautiful here :D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #30: Jun 09, 2011 06:14:05 pm
      I was born in Miami, Florida, but have lived in San Diego since I was 11

Jeez, been some hardships there eh :roll:

;)

As you said Diego, i do have some experience on the matter. I dunno if i can add much more than whats already been said about it, but i do highly recommend it if you can do it. You learn a lot about yourself by having to go out of your comfort zone, meet new people, and interact with people who have grown up differently. Though America does have a lot of similarities to home for me, it's also very different in other ways (they love their drinking games here).

You'll learn many things about yourself that were always there, but you never fully knew until you get out and are made to discover them. Anyone who has ever thought about doing it and can do it, should. It's a great experience, one im thankful to be allowed to live every day.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #31: Aug 12, 2011 04:18:28 am
      Someone, please, offer me a job. Anywhere, I'll take it!

(I'm having one of those crisis in which I grow extremely tired of my boring normal life :D)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #32: Aug 12, 2011 04:22:02 am
      You can be my partner in helping me set up a LFCreds Club in Malaysia :)

Then we can have a football team and play in the same team!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #33: Aug 12, 2011 05:33:35 am
      I'll take that, if you pay me enough money so I can survive there :P
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #34: Aug 18, 2011 10:29:25 am
      Just noticed this thread.  I am from England (Southport) and 7 years ago (today) we left to come over to Oz.  We had never been and just decided to give it a go.  It was a case of if it doesn't work we can always go back "home".  Quite settled now and have not even contemplated returning even for a holiday.  The summer here in Bris is very hot, but the rest of the year is really mild - just at the end of winter and it was 22 centigrade today.

Having had a season ticket for 20+ years and a regular at games before that, it is the only thing I miss - the football, either going or the talk at work etc.  Only saving grace is Foxtel - every game for the whole season is shown (95% of them live).

Play in a team in the Brisbane Masters league and more than half the players are expats.

A number of people come over and return quite quickly, but we didn't want to be sitting there in the future saying if only.......
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #35: Feb 13, 2014 03:27:09 pm
      And this thread goes... UP!

It looks like it might finally happen for me this year. I've been accepted to the University of Liverpool's MBA Football Industries, as already commented in other threads, and it's very likely that I'll accept the offer, so I should be moving to scouse land in September this year.

I was wondering what are the best / more affordable places to live in the city as an international student. The university offers accommodation at their campuses such as Mulberry Court, Vine Court and Dover Court, but I'm not sure if I can find better/cheaper places to stay (cheapest option costs £90.30 per week, self-catered).

Any ideas? Would appreciate some help.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #36: Feb 13, 2014 04:21:25 pm

It looks like it might finally happen for me this year. I've been accepted to the University of Liverpool's MBA Football Industries, as already commented in other threads, and it's very likely that I'll accept the offer, so I should be moving to scouse land in September this year.

I was wondering what are the best / more affordable places to live in the city as an international student. The university offers accommodation at their campuses such as Mulberry Court, Vine Court and Dover Court, but I'm not sure if I can find better/cheaper places to stay (cheapest option costs £90.30 per week, self-catered).

Well I can't offer any assistance there but congratulations! Good luck getting used to the almost constant, dreary, grey weather over here  ;)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #37: Feb 13, 2014 04:50:35 pm
      Well I can't offer any assistance there but congratulations! Good luck getting used to the almost constant, dreary, grey weather over here  ;)

Haha thanks mate. I could do with a change though. It's insanely hot in Rio these days, and sometimes it's hard to do even the most simple things... just walking from my house to the subway station sometimes is almost painful!
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #38: Feb 15, 2014 12:20:53 am
      Dublin for me in a few years. Only 10 minutes on the ferry from the docks.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #39: Feb 15, 2014 01:16:21 am

Thrilled for you Diego. Hope things works out really well for you and you settle in nicely. Sure some of the local lads in this forum will help you out. stay safe and best wishes.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #40: Feb 15, 2014 01:33:55 am

Best option is the university accommodation mate, their are hundreds of students looking for flatmates around the city centre and in Edge Hill. The South of the city is expensive plus it's getting busses and trains into the city which will bite a chunk out of your budget also, the North in parts is very run down and not very touristy apart from Anfield also. Edge Hill is a student area and you'll find ads in windows looking for flatmates or on Gumtree on the internet or in the Liverpool Echo mate much cheaper and closer to Liverpool Uni so you don't need public transport saving you some cash.

You looking on finding part time work here to support your studies? It's a nightmare finding work here mate, I do painting and decorating as self employed to support my studies also lucky for me I've lived here all my life so I live with my lass.

As I said mate living on the campus is your best bet unless you find a student looking to share a flat or house with you.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #41: Feb 15, 2014 10:27:05 am
      Best of luck Diego, as others have said the Uni campus is probably best for now.  Most students in the UK do this for the 1st year then when they've made friends they'll find a house together to share for the remainder of the course.

I believe that as a foreign student you're legally allowed to work a certain amount of hours per week to help with costs but check your visa application.  You're probably better qualified than a lot of students to find work especially as you can speak other languages, translators are always in demand in the UK due to most of us being crap at languages.  A lot of us struggle with English  ;D

You seem to be particularly driven to achieve your dreams mate, look at where you are already.  If I were you I'd write to the Club, you never know you could end up working for LFC and how cool would that be  8)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #42: Feb 15, 2014 10:38:42 am
      the way the weather is there's a very good chance of me waking up in another country in the next few days, ona serious point somewhere like New Zealand with it's slower pace of life would do me just right.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #43: Feb 15, 2014 11:07:48 am
      I just moved to Colombia. Loving it so far!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #44: Feb 15, 2014 11:12:35 am
      Ay up Diego well done mate.

Semple may be good for advice as he is or was a student that came from Ireland to live in the City. 

What I can say as somebody who is in and around the City Centre most days is that there is a hell of a lot of Student Accommodation around.

And don't rule out the Wirral where I commute from every day. Train line runs from West Kirby to Liverpool every 15 minutes and takes about the same to get there. Meols, Hoylake and West Kirby (where Rafa's wife refuses to leave) have plenty of nice flats and get you out of the hustle and bustle of a City whilst not keeping you far from it when you want it.

Plenty of options for you mate and good ones at that.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #45: Feb 15, 2014 01:16:41 pm
      I just moved to Colombia. Loving it so far!

How's it going there mate? Heard it's rough.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #46: Feb 15, 2014 01:34:13 pm
      Thrilled for you Diego. Hope things works out really well for you and you settle in nicely. Sure some of the local lads in this forum will help you out. stay safe and best wishes.

Thanks mate, I appreciate it :)

Best option is the university accommodation mate, their are hundreds of students looking for flatmates around the city centre and in Edge Hill. The South of the city is expensive plus it's getting busses and trains into the city which will bite a chunk out of your budget also, the North in parts is very run down and not very touristy apart from Anfield also. Edge Hill is a student area and you'll find ads in windows looking for flatmates or on Gumtree on the internet or in the Liverpool Echo mate much cheaper and closer to Liverpool Uni so you don't need public transport saving you some cash.

You looking on finding part time work here to support your studies? It's a nightmare finding work here mate, I do painting and decorating as self employed to support my studies also lucky for me I've lived here all my life so I live with my lass.

As I said mate living on the campus is your best bet unless you find a student looking to share a flat or house with you.

Thanks mate. Yesterday I formally received my offer and it says the course starts on September 29th. I have to decide if I'll apply for University accommodation (which I have to do before arriving in Liverpool, from what I've read) or if I'll arrive in the city a couple of weeks before the start of the course and look for accommodation on my own.

I do think living on the campus would be nicer, for they seem to be very well located, plus it would be easier to meet new people. But I'll have to do some maths to see if I can afford them.

I didn't know it was so difficult to get a job there. I hear that the University doesn't encourage its MBAFI students to work but I was thinking of looking for something once I'm there - it would surely help a lot, financially. I still don't know the exact days/times or my classes, but looking at last year's timetable, I think I should have a couple of days off without any classes.

Best of luck Diego, as others have said the Uni campus is probably best for now.  Most students in the UK do this for the 1st year then when they've made friends they'll find a house together to share for the remainder of the course.

I believe that as a foreign student you're legally allowed to work a certain amount of hours per week to help with costs but check your visa application.  You're probably better qualified than a lot of students to find work especially as you can speak other languages, translators are always in demand in the UK due to most of us being crap at languages.  A lot of us struggle with English  ;D

You seem to be particularly driven to achieve your dreams mate, look at where you are already.  If I were you I'd write to the Club, you never know you could end up working for LFC and how cool would that be  8)

Thanks Debs. I will certainly try... working at LFC would be a dream!

The MBA is only 1 year long though, and the contracts for accommodation in the University are usually 51 weeks (one year) long, so I think if I committed to such a contract it would be for the whole duration of my studies. If there was an option of a shorter contract to help me settle there just so then I could look for something else it would be ideal, but from what I've read in the university website, my decision of living or not living in the campus should be definitive.

I think I can work 20 hours a week with a student visa, if I'm not mistaken.

Ay up Diego well done mate.

Semple may be good for advice as he is or was a student that came from Ireland to live in the City. 

What I can say as somebody who is in and around the City Centre most days is that there is a hell of a lot of Student Accommodation around.

And don't rule out the Wirral where I commute from every day. Train line runs from West Kirby to Liverpool every 15 minutes and takes about the same to get there. Meols, Hoylake and West Kirby (where Rafa's wife refuses to leave) have plenty of nice flats and get you out of the hustle and bustle of a City whilst not keeping you far from it when you want it.

Plenty of options for you mate and good ones at that.

Thanks mate. I've spoken to Paul recently on facebook, but I'll probably bother him a little more before I make the move ;D

I did go to the Wirral once when I was there, I went to a Tranmere game (I needed a League One match in my list!) with Kenny. Poor Kenny, drove me there, watched the most horrible game in a freezing night when there were UCL matches on tv (not Liverpool, but still...) and he had to wake up early the next morning! :D Didn't see much of the place other than that though, but I'll take a look at things there.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #47: Feb 15, 2014 02:07:05 pm
      Thanks Debs. I will certainly try... working at LFC would be a dream!

The MBA is only 1 year long though, and the contracts for accommodation in the University are usually 51 weeks (one year) long, so I think if I committed to such a contract it would be for the whole duration of my studies. If there was an option of a shorter contract to help me settle there just so then I could look for something else it would be ideal, but from what I've read in the university website, my decision of living or not living in the campus should be definitive.

I think I can work 20 hours a week with a student visa, if I'm not mistaken.

I believe so too mate which should pay you minimum £125 a week.  That will cover your accommodation costs but not much else.  Uni campus is still probably your best option especially as you're new ish to the City and if it's anything like Sheffield Uni it'll be clean, safe and fairly new.

Best of luck anyway mate, you've certainly worked hard to get your chance.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #48: Feb 15, 2014 04:42:24 pm
      How's it going there mate? Heard it's rough.

I find it's mostly hearsay, I lived in Mexico City last year too and had no problems there. When you're clearly a foreigner in a city you always need to be a little more vigilant with your belongings and where you are heading. I'm in Bogota at the moment which had a lot more trouble about 15-20 years ago but now it's pretty safe. I met some people who told me the dodgy areas to avoid etc.

It's really a beautiful city for the most part though, people are insanely friendly. Don't even get me started on the women!
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #49: Feb 15, 2014 04:49:52 pm
      I find it's mostly hearsay, I lived in Mexico City last year too and had no problems there. When you're clearly a foreigner in a city you always need to be a little more vigilant with your belongings and where you are heading. I'm in Bogota at the moment which had a lot more trouble about 15-20 years ago but now it's pretty safe. I met some people who told me the dodgy areas to avoid etc.

It's really a beautiful city for the most part though, people are insanely friendly. Don't even get me started on the women!

What was it like trying to get hold of a work visa for Mexico mate? A nightmare or pretty simple?
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #50: Feb 15, 2014 04:59:59 pm
      What was it like trying to get hold of a work visa for Mexico mate? A nightmare or pretty simple?

I didn't manage to get one in Mexico unfortunately or I would have stayed. That was more to do with the company I was working for not delivering on their promises though. My housemate in Mexico had one and he found it pretty straight forward, though he had a job lined up before going.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #51: Feb 17, 2014 09:15:52 am
      I did go to the Wirral once when I was there, I went to a Tranmere game

Don't let that first impression of Wirral last. No disrespect to the area of Tranmere (my Dad lives there) but it gets a lot better than that.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #52: Mar 06, 2014 02:56:23 pm
      And now I've received an unconditional offer from the University of Portsmouth, to study their MSc Sports Management. Not my preferred option but it does look like a good university and an interesting course. It's nice to receive such news anyway, so that I can consider all my options before making a decision. I'm still awaiting feedback from Loughborough University.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #53: Mar 06, 2014 08:58:09 pm
      And now I've received an unconditional offer from the University of Portsmouth, to study their MSc Sports Management. Not my preferred option but it does look like a good university and an interesting course. It's nice to receive such news anyway, so that I can consider all my options before making a decision. I'm still awaiting feedback from Loughborough University.

Good news Diego, hope all goes well & you get your preferred choice.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #54: Mar 07, 2014 08:04:08 am
      I'm still awaiting feedback from Loughborough University.

You could live in a wing of MsG's mansion if you go there.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #55: Mar 07, 2014 12:09:59 pm
      Good news Diego, hope all goes well & you get your preferred choice.

Thanks mate, my preferred option is the University of Liverpool, that has also made me an offer, so I'm very happy about it. It's good to have options though, I'll have to think carefully about what I'll do after the World Cup.

;D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #56: Mar 08, 2014 09:13:44 pm

Tons of spare rooms....would you like the West or East Wing  ;)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #57: Mar 08, 2014 10:55:48 pm
      Tons of spare rooms....would you like the West or East Wing  ;)

Can I have the spicy chicken?  :)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #58: Mar 08, 2014 11:00:56 pm

You can have whatever chicken you like, chicken  ;) ha ha xxx
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #59: Mar 10, 2014 01:44:18 pm
      Loughborough University also made me an offer!  :clap:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #60: Mar 10, 2014 01:54:38 pm

Oh my Diego!  So many choices and difficult decisions to make.

Well done anyway mate.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #61: Mar 10, 2014 01:56:55 pm
      Buzzing for you mate!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #62: Mar 10, 2014 02:54:07 pm
      Oh my Diego!  So many choices and difficult decisions to make.

Well done anyway mate.

Difficult decisions indeed! But it's a good 'problem' to have. Thanks Debs.

Thanks mate.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #63: Mar 10, 2014 03:34:34 pm
      Difficult decisions indeed! But it's a good 'problem' to have. Thanks Debs.

Thanks mate.

I went to Loughborough, good university, very focussed on sport.

I've lived and worked in quite a few countries around the world and can whole heartedly recommend it, it's gives you a much better perspective on life.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #64: Mar 11, 2014 10:59:28 pm

Yes......Get in Diego  :) difficult decisions now then  :-\
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #65: Mar 12, 2014 01:23:27 am

Great stuff! Obviously I can understand why going to Liverpool would appeal but Loughborough has long been regarded as the place to go for sports related courses.

Quick Reply