Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Living in another country

Read 12640 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Living in another country
      Reply #46: Feb 15, 2014 01:34:13 pm
      Thrilled for you Diego. Hope things works out really well for you and you settle in nicely. Sure some of the local lads in this forum will help you out. stay safe and best wishes.

Thanks mate, I appreciate it :)

Best option is the university accommodation mate, their are hundreds of students looking for flatmates around the city centre and in Edge Hill. The South of the city is expensive plus it's getting busses and trains into the city which will bite a chunk out of your budget also, the North in parts is very run down and not very touristy apart from Anfield also. Edge Hill is a student area and you'll find ads in windows looking for flatmates or on Gumtree on the internet or in the Liverpool Echo mate much cheaper and closer to Liverpool Uni so you don't need public transport saving you some cash.

You looking on finding part time work here to support your studies? It's a nightmare finding work here mate, I do painting and decorating as self employed to support my studies also lucky for me I've lived here all my life so I live with my lass.

As I said mate living on the campus is your best bet unless you find a student looking to share a flat or house with you.

Thanks mate. Yesterday I formally received my offer and it says the course starts on September 29th. I have to decide if I'll apply for University accommodation (which I have to do before arriving in Liverpool, from what I've read) or if I'll arrive in the city a couple of weeks before the start of the course and look for accommodation on my own.

I do think living on the campus would be nicer, for they seem to be very well located, plus it would be easier to meet new people. But I'll have to do some maths to see if I can afford them.

I didn't know it was so difficult to get a job there. I hear that the University doesn't encourage its MBAFI students to work but I was thinking of looking for something once I'm there - it would surely help a lot, financially. I still don't know the exact days/times or my classes, but looking at last year's timetable, I think I should have a couple of days off without any classes.

Best of luck Diego, as others have said the Uni campus is probably best for now.  Most students in the UK do this for the 1st year then when they've made friends they'll find a house together to share for the remainder of the course.

I believe that as a foreign student you're legally allowed to work a certain amount of hours per week to help with costs but check your visa application.  You're probably better qualified than a lot of students to find work especially as you can speak other languages, translators are always in demand in the UK due to most of us being crap at languages.  A lot of us struggle with English  ;D

You seem to be particularly driven to achieve your dreams mate, look at where you are already.  If I were you I'd write to the Club, you never know you could end up working for LFC and how cool would that be  8)

Thanks Debs. I will certainly try... working at LFC would be a dream!

The MBA is only 1 year long though, and the contracts for accommodation in the University are usually 51 weeks (one year) long, so I think if I committed to such a contract it would be for the whole duration of my studies. If there was an option of a shorter contract to help me settle there just so then I could look for something else it would be ideal, but from what I've read in the university website, my decision of living or not living in the campus should be definitive.

I think I can work 20 hours a week with a student visa, if I'm not mistaken.

Ay up Diego well done mate.

Semple may be good for advice as he is or was a student that came from Ireland to live in the City. 

What I can say as somebody who is in and around the City Centre most days is that there is a hell of a lot of Student Accommodation around.

And don't rule out the Wirral where I commute from every day. Train line runs from West Kirby to Liverpool every 15 minutes and takes about the same to get there. Meols, Hoylake and West Kirby (where Rafa's wife refuses to leave) have plenty of nice flats and get you out of the hustle and bustle of a City whilst not keeping you far from it when you want it.

Plenty of options for you mate and good ones at that.

Thanks mate. I've spoken to Paul recently on facebook, but I'll probably bother him a little more before I make the move ;D

I did go to the Wirral once when I was there, I went to a Tranmere game (I needed a League One match in my list!) with Kenny. Poor Kenny, drove me there, watched the most horrible game in a freezing night when there were UCL matches on tv (not Liverpool, but still...) and he had to wake up early the next morning! :D Didn't see much of the place other than that though, but I'll take a look at things there.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #47: Feb 15, 2014 02:07:05 pm
      Thanks Debs. I will certainly try... working at LFC would be a dream!

The MBA is only 1 year long though, and the contracts for accommodation in the University are usually 51 weeks (one year) long, so I think if I committed to such a contract it would be for the whole duration of my studies. If there was an option of a shorter contract to help me settle there just so then I could look for something else it would be ideal, but from what I've read in the university website, my decision of living or not living in the campus should be definitive.

I think I can work 20 hours a week with a student visa, if I'm not mistaken.

I believe so too mate which should pay you minimum £125 a week.  That will cover your accommodation costs but not much else.  Uni campus is still probably your best option especially as you're new ish to the City and if it's anything like Sheffield Uni it'll be clean, safe and fairly new.

Best of luck anyway mate, you've certainly worked hard to get your chance.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #48: Feb 15, 2014 04:42:24 pm
      How's it going there mate? Heard it's rough.

I find it's mostly hearsay, I lived in Mexico City last year too and had no problems there. When you're clearly a foreigner in a city you always need to be a little more vigilant with your belongings and where you are heading. I'm in Bogota at the moment which had a lot more trouble about 15-20 years ago but now it's pretty safe. I met some people who told me the dodgy areas to avoid etc.

It's really a beautiful city for the most part though, people are insanely friendly. Don't even get me started on the women!
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #49: Feb 15, 2014 04:49:52 pm
      I find it's mostly hearsay, I lived in Mexico City last year too and had no problems there. When you're clearly a foreigner in a city you always need to be a little more vigilant with your belongings and where you are heading. I'm in Bogota at the moment which had a lot more trouble about 15-20 years ago but now it's pretty safe. I met some people who told me the dodgy areas to avoid etc.

It's really a beautiful city for the most part though, people are insanely friendly. Don't even get me started on the women!

What was it like trying to get hold of a work visa for Mexico mate? A nightmare or pretty simple?
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #50: Feb 15, 2014 04:59:59 pm
      What was it like trying to get hold of a work visa for Mexico mate? A nightmare or pretty simple?

I didn't manage to get one in Mexico unfortunately or I would have stayed. That was more to do with the company I was working for not delivering on their promises though. My housemate in Mexico had one and he found it pretty straight forward, though he had a job lined up before going.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #51: Feb 17, 2014 09:15:52 am
      I did go to the Wirral once when I was there, I went to a Tranmere game

Don't let that first impression of Wirral last. No disrespect to the area of Tranmere (my Dad lives there) but it gets a lot better than that.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #52: Mar 06, 2014 02:56:23 pm
      And now I've received an unconditional offer from the University of Portsmouth, to study their MSc Sports Management. Not my preferred option but it does look like a good university and an interesting course. It's nice to receive such news anyway, so that I can consider all my options before making a decision. I'm still awaiting feedback from Loughborough University.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #53: Mar 06, 2014 08:58:09 pm
      And now I've received an unconditional offer from the University of Portsmouth, to study their MSc Sports Management. Not my preferred option but it does look like a good university and an interesting course. It's nice to receive such news anyway, so that I can consider all my options before making a decision. I'm still awaiting feedback from Loughborough University.

Good news Diego, hope all goes well & you get your preferred choice.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #54: Mar 07, 2014 08:04:08 am
      I'm still awaiting feedback from Loughborough University.

You could live in a wing of MsG's mansion if you go there.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #55: Mar 07, 2014 12:09:59 pm
      Good news Diego, hope all goes well & you get your preferred choice.

Thanks mate, my preferred option is the University of Liverpool, that has also made me an offer, so I'm very happy about it. It's good to have options though, I'll have to think carefully about what I'll do after the World Cup.

;D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #56: Mar 08, 2014 09:13:44 pm

Tons of spare rooms....would you like the West or East Wing  ;)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #57: Mar 08, 2014 10:55:48 pm
      Tons of spare rooms....would you like the West or East Wing  ;)

Can I have the spicy chicken?  :)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #58: Mar 08, 2014 11:00:56 pm

You can have whatever chicken you like, chicken  ;) ha ha xxx
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #59: Mar 10, 2014 01:44:18 pm
      Loughborough University also made me an offer!  :clap:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #60: Mar 10, 2014 01:54:38 pm

Oh my Diego!  So many choices and difficult decisions to make.

Well done anyway mate.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #61: Mar 10, 2014 01:56:55 pm
      Buzzing for you mate!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #62: Mar 10, 2014 02:54:07 pm
      Oh my Diego!  So many choices and difficult decisions to make.

Well done anyway mate.

Difficult decisions indeed! But it's a good 'problem' to have. Thanks Debs.

Thanks mate.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #63: Mar 10, 2014 03:34:34 pm
      Difficult decisions indeed! But it's a good 'problem' to have. Thanks Debs.

Thanks mate.

I went to Loughborough, good university, very focussed on sport.

I've lived and worked in quite a few countries around the world and can whole heartedly recommend it, it's gives you a much better perspective on life.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #64: Mar 11, 2014 10:59:28 pm

Yes......Get in Diego  :) difficult decisions now then  :-\
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #65: Mar 12, 2014 01:23:27 am

Great stuff! Obviously I can understand why going to Liverpool would appeal but Loughborough has long been regarded as the place to go for sports related courses.

Quick Reply