Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC shows frustration at the obstacles facing the potential re-development of Anfield (10 Jul 2011)

Read 12553 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Re: LFC shows frustration at the obstacles facing the potential re-development of Anfield (10 Jul 20
      Reply #23: Sep 03, 2011 09:34:37 am

I like NESV and John Henry but nobody should be fooled...they want what is best for THEM first and foremost, if it is best for LFC too, all well and good.

Harsh realities but it is the real world.
      Over the long term which thankfully NESV appear to be contemplating the only acceptable deal for both parties is the success of LFC.
      There are no quick fix solutions and of course the ultimate target is a good return on the investment which will require commitment and funding. NESV are a good business model because they follow these proven ethics and whether their commitment is to LFC or their bank balance is immaterial, although JH and his wife do seem genuinely enthusiastic at the games they attend and are readilly embroiled in the Anfield emotion roller coaster.
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2011 09:52:14 am by stuey »
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Re: LFC shows frustration at the obstacles facing the potential re-development of Anfield (10 Jul 20
      Reply #24: Sep 03, 2011 08:12:04 pm
      It is doubtful we really NEED 75,000 seats. Would we fill it week in week out, or just for big games?

The problem is this; NESV are INVESTORS and everything they do comes down to money...and building an extra 15,000 seats would DRAMATICALLY increase the cost over a 60,000 seater.

I like NESV and John Henry but nobody should be fooled...they want what is best for THEM first and foremost, if it is best for LFC too, all well and good.

So, they will be extremely careful to go with the most COST EFFECTIVE solution because they will already be thinking of their exit plan. My bet is they will want to sell within 10 years and the more they spend now, the lower their return on their investment.

Harsh realities but it is the real world.

think you left out one notable exception, as Henry has come out and said the best economic option would be a ground share but since the fans do not want that he isn't looking at it
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #25: Sep 03, 2011 08:26:16 pm
      think you left out one notable exception, as Henry has come out and said the best economic option would be a ground share but since the fans do not want that he isn't looking at it
      Is correct mate and further proof of the mans' empathy with the supporters.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #26: Sep 04, 2011 07:41:39 pm
      New Stadium ‘The Only Viable Option’ for Liverpool

Liverpool’s stadium issue has dragged on ever since the previous regime promised a spade in the ground shortly after taking over, but as we now know those words were as empty as the park in which the new ground should, by now, be standing.

New owners FSG have been a lot more proactive in their search for a stadium solution, but they too have encountered issues both with redeveloping Anfield and building from scratch. But, after much research and deliberation, one option appears to stand head and shoulders above the other and it now seems that a conclusion is close.

John Henry, Liverpool’s principle owner, had previously claimed that it would be ‘difficult’ to relpicate the Anfield atmopshere elsewhere. This was seen to be a subtle hint as to the American’s intentions and rumours of redevelopment became rife as research was carried out to determine its viability.

But despite initial discussions being positive the possibility of Liverpool remaining at their historic home has been dwindling ever since. Issues have just kept cropping up like fairground whack-a-moles and the Reds quite simply don’t have the time to carry on playing a losing game while their rivals continue to pull ahead on commercial activity.

Former Chief Executive Rick Parry was one of the first to make the club’s intentions of a new build public, in an interview with The Mirror last month.

“Initially we wanted to develop Anfield, that was always the hope, but there were too many complications. The idea of building new actually became increasingly attractive the more we studied the options.” he said.

And in an even more recent interview with the Telegraph, John Henry echoed Parry’s thoughts.

“We would love to expand Anfield, but there are enough local and regulatory issues to keep that avenue stalled for years with no assurances that once begun it would bear any fruit.” he said.

“If Anfield cannot be expanded a new stadium is wonderful choice. But the fact is we already have 45,000 seats. If a new stadium is constructed with 60,000 seats you’ve spent an incredible sum of money to add just 15,000 seats.

“If the cost is £300m for an extra 15,000 seats, that doesn’t make any sense at all. Liverpool isn’t London, you can’t charge £1 million for a long-term club seat. And concession revenues per seat aren’t that much different at Emirates from Anfield.

“That’s why the search is on currently for a naming-rights partner. And that could very well happen.”

The search for a naming-rights partner has been under-way for quite some time now, and talks are said to have been very encouraging.

All signs, then, appear to point to a sponsored build in Stanley Park. In reality, this is the only viable option for a team looking to regain touch with its rivals who have so far been able to enjoy significantly more commercial revenue on behalf of their home ground.

Arsenal’s Emirates stadium is one of the leading lights in English football, pulling in pivotal funds from general sale, season tickets and executive boxes. The latter is something that Liverpool really struggle with, and always will while they remain at Anfield. A move to a new ground could be worth £100m+ per season in this department alone, so you can see why they are so desperate to make it happen.

And we now understand that this is exactly what FSG will do; make it happen. Having spoken to key members of the Anfield redevelopment research team, it is evident that the idea is now dead in the water.

The nature of the complications are such that there is no guarantee that they would be resolved in a timely manner, if at all. John Henry & co. are said to have admitted defeat in their initial attempts to preserve and improve the ground that he was so blown away by upon first visiting. And, although they are not closing the door on the idea, they are understood to have abandoned their active efforts to pursue this proposed solution.

It now looks like a matter of time before FSG announce their intentions, but they must first identify their chosen naming rights partner, and that is not something that will not be rushed into completion. The owners are keen to move forward as quickly as they can, but they will not compromise the club’s long-term security by making a decision before they have explored all avenues of possibility.

But regardless of the route they use to get there, all roads now lead to Stanley Park and, although Anfield will undoubtedly be missed, the supporters would do well to remember that it is not the external structure that creates our ‘unrivalled’ atmosphere, but the beating heart within.

http://www.kopsource.com/new-stadium-the-only-viable-option-for-liverpool/
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #27: Sep 04, 2011 08:18:08 pm
      I'd be happy with what ever choice is made,the main thing is that we are moving forward.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #28: Sep 20, 2011 12:54:49 am

I am not entirely sure I understand what you mean exactly by "you left out one notable exception"...that really doesn't make sense based on what I actually posted.

Regardless of that, just because John Henry SAYS something you like to hear doesn't necessarily mean that is what he actually thinks.

I'm sorry if I come across too negative on JH and NESV...I really quite like him...but I am also a cynic to some degree...as I've already said elsewhere on this forum...any club owner that is fundamentally an "investor" is always going to be a worry to me because the money will always ultimately come before the football club.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #29: Sep 20, 2011 07:17:47 pm
      Does anyone know when the board is set to make a decision on this?  I was under the impression that it was supposed to happen sometime in September, but I could be wrong....
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #30: Sep 20, 2011 11:22:12 pm
      I was as well, that would make sense from the 3 month extension we got, but nothing thus far. 

Quick Reply