Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Stewart Downing (Liverpool -> West Ham)

Read 129706 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Stewart Downing Player Thread
      Reply #1564: Feb 19, 2013 03:46:05 pm
      Fair enough point mate but he is a player that is progressing and finding his place in the team.

I'm not saying that we can't or won't get a better player for the wide right position, and it's one area I want us to look at in the summer, but I also feel that Downing has a place in this squad as well.

A place in the squad yes.
      Guaranteed starter. HELL NO!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1565: Feb 19, 2013 04:56:31 pm
      For a player in the front 3/4 of the team a return of 1 goal is pretty bleak.

Indeed. Even more so when the team's left back can do better playing in this front 3/4
      Bkrimmel
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      • Supporter from Baltimore
      Reply #1566: Feb 19, 2013 06:41:22 pm
      Downing is still the most infuriating outfield player on the squad right now. Where was any bit of this creativity before?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1567: Feb 19, 2013 07:26:20 pm
      He does as he has shown over the last month or so.

Stats compare very favourably to Valencia for one.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/player-stats/11629/Downing

Ok, now comapre him to Hazard who is quite often playing a similar role to what Downing does. The difference is shocking.

Downing is in the same class as Charlie Adam IMO, looked good at their previous team because they were the best of an average bunch but when they get the move to a bigger team to really prove themselves they just prove that they belong at the like of Blackpool and Villa.

If we are deeming his recent performances as a good standard for the club then we are in trouble. He hasn't even justified £2m of his price tag let alone £20m. He needs to be sold in the summer and we need to get a player with real quality in. Hopefully Brendan will do as good in the summer market as the winter one just gone because Sturridge has been a steal so far and Coutinho in his 80 odd minutes so far has been head and shoulders above Downing in his whole Liverpool career.

Anyway moan over, could be worse, he could be Salif Diao.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1568: Feb 19, 2013 07:31:24 pm
      Ok, now comapre him to Hazard who is quite often playing a similar role to what Downing does. The difference is shocking.

Downing is in the same class as Charlie Adam IMO, looked good at their previous team because they were the best of an average bunch but when they get the move to a bigger team to really prove themselves they just prove that they belong at the like of Blackpool and Villa.

If we are deeming his recent performances as a good standard for the club then we are in trouble. He hasn't even justified £2m of his price tag let alone £20m. He needs to be sold in the summer and we need to get a player with real quality in. Hopefully Brendan will do as good in the summer market as the winter one just gone because Sturridge has been a steal so far and Coutinho in his 80 odd minutes so far has been head and shoulders above Downing in his whole Liverpool career.

Anyway moan over, could be worse, he could be Salif Diao.

My sentiments too, I think the encouraging signs people are seeing regarding Downing is largely based on the level of expectations we now have for him, which are virtually 0. He doesn't score enough, he doesn't create enough, he doesn't beat his man and therefore doesn't drag defenders out of their natural zones. His aerial ability is 0, his set-piece delivery is not strong enough to make him the main taker and neither is his contribution if he isn't taking the set piece, his defensive capabilities are extremely limited and commitment to a challenge is pathetic. His pace is actually his best asset, but the only trick he actually has in his book and to say he was a 1 trick pony would be an insult to the 1 trick pony. Very poor signing bought in to supply a man who wont be at the club come the first game of next year.

While there is small merit in keeping Downing as a squad member, for £80k a week you can be damn sure Brendan will be doing his damnedest to offload him in the Summer and rightly so in my opinion.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1569: Feb 19, 2013 07:48:26 pm
      His scoring/assists stats have never been good though, his best was 5 seasons ago at Middlesbrough where he scored 10 with 5 assists out of 45 games.

He has career club stats of played 399, goals 40, assists 67 over an eleven year period. 

As much as he has improved his performances and his consistency I don't think his stats are going to improve much at this point.  He's been better than last year but I still don't think his best is good enough in the long term.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4878 
      Reply #1570: Feb 19, 2013 08:47:57 pm

Fair enough but totally different type of players. Hazard is a player that when played wide will always look to move inside and link up whereas Downing is a wide player who looks to stay wide and hold position.

They might start in the same position but have vastly different roles in thier respective sides.

Listen I'm not saying Downing has been an outstanding player for us or is the best we can get in the position as he is clearly not but  he isn't getting enough credit in my view for how he is playing in current form.

I'm going to leave it here for a while as I'm beginning to sound like his numvber one fan which I am definitely not but just someone who likes to give credit where it is due.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1571: Feb 19, 2013 08:59:54 pm
      Fair enough but totally different type of players. Hazard is a player that when played wide will always look to move inside and link up whereas Downing is a wide player who looks to stay wide and hold position.

He really wasn't a wide player for Villa, especially in his last season with them.  He rarely stayed wide, it was an interchangable front three that operated more on clever interplay in and around the box than it did on hugging the byline and getting crosses in.  Seen none of that cleverness fom him since he came here.  And whilst he has been better in the last couple months, he was absolutely atrocious against Arsenal last month.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4878 
      Reply #1572: Feb 21, 2013 10:32:55 pm
      Very good game again from Downing and although I wanted Sterling to come on for him to freshen things up it turned out to be the wrong move.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1573: Feb 22, 2013 12:41:20 am
      Think he has been very good for us recently and am enjoying his new found confidence to have a shot and trust himself against the full back.
      Also seems to be more comfortable with both feet that he has been previously.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1574: Feb 22, 2013 01:16:01 am
      Very good game again from Downing and although I wanted Sterling to come on for him to freshen things up it turned out to be the wrong move.

Totally agree. Thought he put in a great work mans shift today and was very solid again. In hindsight you are absolutely right about Sterling but at least we took the chance to 'test the theory'.

It really doesn't matter how much he gets paid or how much we paid for him, all we ask is to put in an effort, something money doesn't buy and I don't think anyone can doubt that his work ethic of late has been nothing less than excellent.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1575: Feb 22, 2013 02:12:03 am

He did well and was again surprised to see Brendan go for Sterling in such a big tie, poor choice from the boss in my opinion and proved to be the case. Downing was playing well and couldn't understand the reasoning behind the change.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1576: Feb 22, 2013 10:58:46 am
      In fairness to Sterling 5 minutes for a sub to make an impact on such a game made little sense unless he took off a defender and went three at the back
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4878 
      Reply #1577: Feb 22, 2013 11:55:39 am
      In fairness to Sterling 5 minutes for a sub to make an impact on such a game made little sense unless he took off a defender and went three at the back

Agree.

I thought if Sterling was to come on it should have been much earlier in the game.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #1578: Feb 22, 2013 01:05:42 pm
      One of the stand out players last night. He took defenders on and got good crosses in. Lacked a certain Mr Sturridge in the box. Overall, however, I was very impressed.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1579: Feb 22, 2013 01:45:46 pm
      One of the stand out players last night. He took defenders on and got good crosses in. Lacked a certain Mr Sturridge in the box. Overall, however, I was very impressed.

This. Still can't get my head around the subs that Brendan made though and at the times that they were made.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1580: Feb 22, 2013 06:20:04 pm
      Downing is now playing to his Boro/Villa standards. The only problem is he never excited me even at his best. Fair play to him for stepping up though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4878 
      Reply #1581: Mar 02, 2013 11:00:21 pm
      Very impressive movement to score his goal today.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1582: Mar 02, 2013 11:01:55 pm
      Very impressive movement to score his goal today.

Nice to see him in the opposition penalty area in anticipation of something. That is something we have lacked, especially before Sturridge arrived.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1583: Mar 02, 2013 11:13:51 pm
      Nice to see him in the opposition penalty area in anticipation of something. That is something we have lacked, especially before Sturridge arrived.

Made a couple of runs late in the game and took up central positions that suggests he's been working on it which encouraged me. One that Hendo should of went for and didn't and then near the end when Luis came out wide Downing took up the strikers position. While I thought him and Johnson didn't do enough in the game, actually thought Johnson was our second worst player if you like I do see signs that Downing is beginning to adapt to his role. Having said that I don't for a moment think it's enough but was pleased for him to get his goal today.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1584: Mar 04, 2013 01:46:56 pm
      Good goal, but even when he scores (something that is sadly rare), he's the worst of our front three.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1585: Mar 04, 2013 02:03:06 pm
      I'm not sure I've ever seen a professional footballer as poor in the air as downing is, so I was surprised that he actually got enough of a connection on the ball to beat their keeper.

All I see when I watch Downing is an overpriced squad player.
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #1586: Mar 05, 2013 04:58:32 am
      I give credit to Downing for getting the 1st goal for us. Was surprised though he was the most advanced player at the front to head the ball home. His goal certainly paves to a greater enthusiasm and confidence from the players in getting the win. To move to that scoring position takes desire and willingness and Downing shows that he has it and wants it. Good job.

Quick Reply