Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

More OOT Fans Or More Scouse Fans?

Read 10045 times
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      More OOT Fans Or More Scouse Fans?
      Aug 30, 2007 03:43:18 pm
      Hi there fellow fans,

Being an OOT myself from Kent, i went to the game on tuesday against Toulouse and i just want to know the facts. Are there more OOT liverpool fans than scousers themselves, i have been told that more people from outside the city support Liverpool, like myself and im very interested in knowing if this is true, being that the rest of England is bigger than the city of Liverpool.

Regards

Matt

(Red Till I Die)
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Do Scouse Fans Like OOT'S?
      Reply #1: Aug 30, 2007 03:48:37 pm
      Hi there, im interested to know what fellow scouse supporters think of OOT's. Im an OOT fan from Kent and i dont want to ramble on about what a great fan i am and all that rubbish, but i do want to say i am a passionate fan who loves the club and i get quite offended at those fans that think OOT's should clear off and support someone else, it upsets me in a way, because believe me if i could choose where i was born it would be Liverpool by a country mile.

So if anyone who is a scouse LFC fan decides to read this post, could they please give their outlook on what they think of OOT fans?

YNWA

Matt
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: More OOT Fans Or More Scouse Fans?
      Reply #2: Aug 30, 2007 06:40:57 pm
      Hi there fellow fans,

Being an OOT myself from Kent, i went to the game on tuesday against Toulouse and i just want to know the facts. Are there more OOT liverpool fans than scousers themselves, i have been told that more people from outside the city support Liverpool, like myself and im very interested in knowing if this is true, being that the rest of England is bigger than the city of Liverpool.

Regards

Matt

(Red Till I Die)

I think you could be right there.  I was sat next to a Londoner during the game. 

I've heard this before.  We just can't help it.  Our club is world famous!

I wouldn't really consider myself an OOT because I'm still in the Merseyside bracket :D
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #3: Aug 31, 2007 08:42:56 am
      I've noticed a lot of 'foreign' accents at the games.  At one match I asked a guy with a London accent how come he supported Liverpool. 
      "My dad comes from Wavertree" was his response. 
      My granddaughter has a cracking Oxfordshire accent but she supports Liverpool. 
      We Scousers get around but never forget our roots.
      Could be part of the explanation for the proliferation of OOT supporters. 
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Aug 31, 2007 09:24:53 am
      there seems to be a lot of ooters going to anfield lately but if they are true Liverpool fans that know the clubs traditions then it doesnt matter but there seems to be a lot of tits going who are going to the game cos there mate had a spare ticket or to go on the piss in Liverpool for the weekend. Or like i saw last season a group from finland in viking hats and there national flags wrapped around them just there cos sami hyppia plays for us (turned out he didnt play in the game!!)   

to me its a big part of why the atmosphere has died slightly to many people just want to go and sit there and say i was at anfield they dont want to sing or get behind the team

there must be away were local kids and adults get first call on a percentage of tickets? Even if that means i dont get too as many games as id like i think the club needs its local fanbase to survive
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #5: Aug 31, 2007 09:29:04 am
      The club have recognised the fact that revenue is based on having a more larger fanbase.

Better carefully choose my words here, but tickets have become easily available for fans outside of Liverpool from what I gather. My cousin, while he hasn't got a season ticket, when he makes a postal application for tickets for a match he never gets one. He resorted to putting his brother's address who now lives in Sheffield and he always gets one now. His brother mails it back to him.

I got talking to a few Danish lads before the Manure game last season and asked them how they got the tickets as they are like gold dust. They seemed amazed as they said you could walk into any travel agent in Copenhagen and get one, obvously as part of the travel package.

Then you've got those Barcelona fans who invaed the Anfield pitch in the 2005 CL semi final against Chelsea? How did they get the tickets when you needed to qualify via the number of times you went in previous rounds ???

The were Irish fellas in Athens who had genuine tickets from the club who admitted to have never been to Anfield.

This not a rant nor a complaint as I understand the need to have a large fanbase, and making ticketrs available to OOTers is part of that.

Look at the blue sh*te. Calling themselaves the people club. Proud that they have a mainly merseyside fanbase and they are proud not to have outsiders. They turn their noses up at the idea. The don't sell out, they have very little money, the can't get rid of the season tickets.... Good move lads.

I know a few local fans have issues about how the tickets are divvied out but I'm not one of them. I think the reality of  it is the bigger fanbase you have, the bigger the club becomes especially in financial terms, the bigger the club becomes the bigger players you can attract and afford. The bigger the players you can attract and afford, the more trophies you win. Quite simple really.

Local lads like me, who in my time lost count of the games I've been to. It's certainly over 1,000 and  some of the games from the ealry 80's I can't remember whether I was there or not. But I don't buy any merchandise, don't buy a program, turn up at 2.58 an leave with a couple of mins to go (depending on the current score. I realise if all our fans were like that the club would be very much worse off. That's why the club give OOTers the chance of attending and let them clean out the club store while they are here.

I think the club does have a ticket selling strategy based on what's best for the club.

On a slightly different note, in the city of Liverpool itelf. Contrary to what some people say it is impossible to calculate if one club is supported by Merseside people, more than another. Walking the steets every day looking at who wear what top you'd say it was farly even. I'll be on the lash tomorrow nightwith 7 other mates.We're made up of 4 reds and 4 blues.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      Reply #6: Aug 31, 2007 11:00:24 am

The were Irish fellas in Athens who had genuine tickets from the club who admitted to have never been to Anfield.

thats were it falls down for me. How can people whove never been to anfield get tickets for the cl final? its very very wrong. maybe thats why in some cases not all that local reds have a problem with ooters? i dont know if theres a way of putting it right but something needs to be done to help more locals get to games
      lizzieroz
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      Reply #7: Aug 31, 2007 12:27:56 pm
      I would be classed as an ooter now, as i live in Hampshire, but I was born and bred in Liverpool, living in Allerton until I was 14.  That was when our family moved to the south due to my Dad's job.
      All of my aunts/uncles/cousins all still live in and around Liverpool, and I totally class myself as a Scouser, through and through.
      I try to get to Anfield as often as possible, but find it very difficult to get tickets, even on postal applications from Hampshire.
      It annoys me when, as Bootle Buck said above, there are people getting tickets as part of a travel agents package or such, when people who've supported the club for 30+ years can't get the tickets!!!
      moz273
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts | -1 
      Reply #8: Aug 31, 2007 12:40:22 pm
      I live on the Wirral, am I considered an OOT fan?

In reply to the original comment though, there are definitely more OOT fans than scouse fans. As you have pointed out there are a greater number of people outside Liverpool than there are within.

It's probably the same for most clubs, especially clubs which have to share cities such as ourselves. That is a reason why I'm never impressed when Newcastle claim they have 'great' fans because they sell out 52,500 seats every week. They are a one club city so that is going to happen. We'd sell out 100,000 every week and we have to share the city with the Blue sh*te (though after they voted to go the safari park every other weekend we might not have to for too much longer!!!).
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #9: Aug 31, 2007 01:54:54 pm
      What a completely stupid question. 

The actual 'city' of Liverpool - not Merseyside has probably about 500,000 people.  The rest of the world has about 6.3 billion people.

It stands to reason that more people outside of Liverpool support the club than those inside the city boundary. 

If you're question was trying to gauge whether the majority inside Anfield are scouse or not then thats a difficult one to answer.  The ticketing system at Anfield ie. phone lines, internet ticketing is effectively making it more difficult for local fans to get tickets than OOT's and that is an entirely different, and potentially flammable, topic.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #10: Aug 31, 2007 02:03:03 pm
      Been the best team in the world we are going to have a lot of oot fans so what?
      moz273
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts | -1 
      Reply #11: Aug 31, 2007 02:07:19 pm
      If you're question was trying to gauge whether the majority inside Anfield are scouse or not then thats a difficult one to answer.  The ticketing system at Anfield ie. phone lines, internet ticketing is effectively making it more difficult for local fans to get tickets than OOT's and that is an entirely different, and potentially flammable, topic.

The ticketing is a complete joke!! Even more so for European games in which 'UEFA dignitaries' seem to be able to pick and choose what games they go to. I'd got every single home game on my Fancards until the semi-final, and they sold out before we got them even though they were only available to people who had been to every other European home game. Took the piss to tell you the truth!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #12: Aug 31, 2007 02:21:17 pm
      I've never had a problem with OOT fans who come to Anfield to support the team and respect the traditions of the Liverpool support. I've met fans from places like Burnley, Kent, Ireland and even those from abroad who come and seem to know the score.

But then there are those, like Brian78 and BootleBuck have said, treat it like a day out, half a dozen bags from Liverworld, wigs , jester hats, england kits and flags singing who are yer and whatever soccer am thinks is cool, how the F**k do they get tickets - I bet RP knows

As well as this there are also scouse fans who act like general tits as well (especially some of those in athens), so I'm not exclusively having a dig at OOT's

To answer you're question matt, yep probably more OOT fans than scouse, but how many OOT's know all the songs and traditions of OUR club
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #13: Aug 31, 2007 02:37:07 pm
      I confess to being an OOT (Cambridgeshire) but my dad was born in Maghull and lived there until his teens when the family moved to Ormskirk.

I am a thorough Red and my five year old and eight month old boys will also be Reds.

I have a Fancard which allows me to watch around three home games a season,it takes around three and a half hours inthe car but well worth the trip.

When my boys are old enough they will also come along to the match.

I see nothing wrong with fans from out of the city coming to the games.It is ideal for me as I get to see the family after the match.

Everyone should be welcome to watch the team but I do agree that the corporate 'hangers-on' do not add to the atmosphere and are obviously there on a freebie.

I have also noticed the amount of overseas fans snapping their cameras at everything that moves!

I love the atmosphere at Anfield and welcome the diversity of our fans,it is what makes us the greatest club on earth.

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Re: Do Scouse Fans Like OOT'S?
      Reply #14: Aug 31, 2007 02:47:47 pm
      NO  8) ;D  >:D

I'm kidding

Some of you OOT's are okay, some need banning though and anyone singing "who are yer" whether scouse or OOT need a bloody good education
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      Reply #15: Aug 31, 2007 03:23:54 pm
      NO  8) ;D  >:D

I'm kidding

Some of you OOT's are okay, some need banning though and anyone singing "who are yer" whether scouse or OOT need a bloody good education

ha ha when i read that first and seen no i thought well at least your honest

im an ooter and even i can see that some right knobs are going to games and i could understand why some locals dont like us but ive never had anything but great craic with locals when talkin and drinking with them
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #16: Aug 31, 2007 04:00:43 pm
      We had something like this a while back, over only allowing so many OOT's into the ground of a match day! And there was some pretty bitter opinions from people who said they were sick of 'losing their match tickets to OOT's!' (which I think is absolute bollocks by the way, as I get tickets when I need to when I can afford it!)  :-\

I welcome all Liverpool fans, whether they be from the streets around where I live, or Perth, Australia! At the end of the day, we all share the same passion! Just because you have to get the train, plane or coach to our games rather than my 15 minute walk from my house doesn't make you any different to me or my mates!  ;)
      LFC 4 LYF
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts | -1 
      Reply #17: Aug 31, 2007 04:54:07 pm
      If you don't mind me asking but what is OOT?
      Madzz Adzz
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts |
      Reply #18: Aug 31, 2007 05:11:34 pm
      wot is OOT? am i missin sumthink here?
      moz273
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts | -1 
      Reply #19: Aug 31, 2007 05:17:03 pm
      OOT means an 'Out Of Town' fan I think.

How far is considered out of town anyway? I'm from the Wirral but wouldn't count myself as being out of town really (partly due to the fact I now live in Liverpool city centre, but that's besides the point!!).
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #20: Aug 31, 2007 05:23:48 pm
      Brian and there is the secret  8)
      Duggie
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #21: Aug 31, 2007 05:38:50 pm

out of towners  ;)

Btw I think OOT's are excellent I am a scouser and a life long Liverpool fan,(against all the odds, my Dad and most of the family are blue noses!)  I am so proud of my city and soooo proud of my team, I welcome others from around the UK and the world to come and share in our magic.  I am also so proud of our friendliness and openess and how we make people feel welcome, (as long as they are true red supporters, Dirty Red Manc's and Chelsea Cheat's need not apply ha ha >:D)
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #22: Aug 31, 2007 05:43:48 pm
      Im an OOT

Quick Reply