Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Pako's departure - the effect on the reds?

Very very very bad
      (18.4%)
      Not ideal
      (69.4%)
      Makes no difference
      (8.2%)
      Pako who?
      (4.1%)

Pako Ayesteran off

Read 18714 times
      glebe17
      • Forum Michael Robinson
      • Started Topic

• 55 posts | -1 
      Pako Ayesteran off
      Aug 31, 2007 02:41:35 pm
      LIVERPOOL Assistant Manager Pako Ayesteran is set to leave Anfield after a series of disagreements with manager Rafa Benitez.

The Anfield No. 2 is understood to have left club on immediate leave after matters between the two men came to a head yesterday afternoon.

It is understood tensions between the pair - who have been close colleagues for the last decade - have been brewing for several months.

Matters finally reached a critical point at the Melwood training ground yesterday when it's understood Ayesteran indicated he was longer interested in working for Liverpool.

It is understood he will officially leave the club shortly once administrative issues around his contract are resolved.

A series of disagreements are believed to have contributed to the break-up of the partnership.

Ayesteran has had full control over the training and preparation of the squad and there were alterations made during pre-season which led to the disagreements.

It is not believed Ayesteran has an alternative offer under consideration.

However, he was linked with Athletic Bilbao during the summer and Liverpool supporters will be hoping rumours of interest from Manchester United and Chelsea in Ayesteran's services are no more than speculation.

Benitez will now have to begin the process of replacing a man credited with much of the background work behind a successful rebuilding of Liverpool.

Ayesteran is know for his skills in technical and physical areas, including fitness techniques and sports science.

The back room staff which Benitez brought with him when he arrived from Valencia three years ago has now effectively broken up, with former coach Paco Herrera and goalkeeping coach Jose Ochotorena also recent departures for entirely different, amicable reasons.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2007/08/31/reds-assistant-boss-set-to-quit-anfield-100252-19716596/

Your thoughts........
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2007 01:40:50 am by JD »
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Re: Reds assistant boss set to quit Anfield
      Reply #1: Aug 31, 2007 03:24:58 pm
      I hope that this isnt the case and some amicable compremise can be made between the two. Paco is an invaluable member of the team and his degrees in sports science are of an invaluable resource for Rafa to take from. This if true is not good news to be honest as any internal wrangling could unsettle the squad in more ways than one.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #2: Aug 31, 2007 03:35:39 pm

Would it be too much to ask to get yours? According to forum rules I should delete this topic as you've just posted a link without offering any opinion, but seeing as it's an important subject I'll leave it on.

Personally I think this is really bad news. Benitez is the tactician, but his tactics are based around a hard work ethic & it's Pako that gets the players fit enough to do this. Every player that's come to this club has commented on how much more intense the training is compared to other clubs, yet we don't get hit hard with injuries. As far as I'm concerned the guy's a magician & it will be a nightmare to lose him. I hope him & Rafa can patch things up.
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2007 06:07:04 pm by JD »
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #3: Aug 31, 2007 03:38:06 pm
      Hopefully somethings going to be done about it as he's a major part of the team and I'd hate to see him leave!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,122 posts | 2772 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Aug 31, 2007 04:23:23 pm
      this is a tough one. Pako has played an every bit as important a part as rafa in building this squad but if they arent getting on its prob  best that he goes.  The best scenario would be they sort out there differences

wonder is it over signing or not signing a player is it over rafa not wanting to train to a schedule pako wanted to? It seems to have come out of the blue maybe pako has been offered a job back home in Spain?   
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #5: Aug 31, 2007 04:31:36 pm
      I don't suppose we will get to know but I would be interested what the disagreements were about.

I noticed some comments from the players that the preparation this time was less intense.

Could it be that Rafa thought the regime was too intense resulting in players starting games feeling knackered?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #6: Aug 31, 2007 04:33:52 pm
      Few good points there Brian, I feel a bit gutted at the news and I hope this is not like what happened when some of the original people Houllier brought in left.

Without trying to get hysterical would this just mean Alex Miller getting assistant managers job or does anyone think someone might be brought in?
      moz273
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts | -1 
      Reply #7: Aug 31, 2007 05:20:13 pm
      Considering how much Paco was into the science and technical side of coaching, I would expect someone else to be brought in rather than just a promotion from within.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #8: Aug 31, 2007 05:49:02 pm
      Well just to add, echo been delivered and there is nothing in there yet! So may be a case of wait and see if you can spot him tomorrow
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #9: Aug 31, 2007 06:15:21 pm
      Some of the lads on RAWk have said that it was about training sessions. Things haven't been great between Rafa and Pako since pre-season. Also say that Rafa is trying to talk it out with Pako and today's training session was cancelled.

Maybe they can iron something out. If they don't it's a huge blow. I would say the timing is crap but when you think about it, any time would be crap for our assistant manager to leave the club suddenly. The season looked bright until now. It still does, but the sheen has come off it.

I hope this doesn't affect any of the players too much. Pako is very popular amongst them and it's sure to have an effect; let's just hope it's not a major one.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #10: Aug 31, 2007 07:32:32 pm
      Pako would be a great loss-he deals with all the fitness,diets and admin issues and will be very hard to replace,Like Reepicheep has said,i have heard they were having talks today to try and resolve their differences,apparently this started in pre season-where they clashed about preparations.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #11: Aug 31, 2007 09:46:55 pm
      Who would you like  to come  in to replace him? Will we adhere to tradition and promote from within? Any thoughts? Ex players or start a fresh?

A few to think about?

Gary Abblett (reserve coach), Gary McAllister (managerial experience and great work ethic), Steve Nicol (managing in the US with MLS side New England)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #12: Aug 31, 2007 10:00:43 pm
      Right heard a whisper earlier along the lines of what reepicheep was saying and still no official announcement on the offal, so hopefully things might not be as bad as what we all think they are!

Straw clutched anyway
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #13: Aug 31, 2007 10:32:35 pm
      Would be a major loss if he went. No two ways about it.

I wouldn't have a clue who would replace him - Fowler...? ;)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,309 posts | 1520 
      Reply #14: Sep 01, 2007 01:32:19 am
      With a degree in sports science etc.  Plus the experience, I dont' think any ex player is going to have the same knowledge of what Pako brings to the table. I think it has to be sorted, one of them needs to be bold enough to take the first step of reconciliation. If he goes it will be a massive blow and there are not many on the same level who can replace him thats for sure. Fingers crossed then !
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #15: Sep 01, 2007 01:39:31 am

'I'm serious - he hasn't been the same since he got that goatee...'
      garlo
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 518 posts |
      Re: Reds assistant boss set to quit Anfield (Vote added)
      Reply #16: Sep 01, 2007 06:15:21 am

'I'm serious - he hasn't been the same since he got that goatee...'

hahaha
      i love it jd
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #17: Sep 01, 2007 11:04:37 am
      Reds won’t replace Ayesteran
      Sep 1 2007 by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ will not be looking for a new number two, despite assistant manager Pako Ayesteran's shock decision to quit Anfield.

The Reds boss confirmed yesterday that Ayesteran, a long-time friend and colleague for the last 11 years, had left the club.

But he believes he already has the staff on board at Melwood who can fill the void.

Ayesteran was not expected to be on duty at today's Premiership match against Derby, after he rocked Benitez by informing him of his intention to leave on the day of the Champions League qualifier second leg against Toulouse.

The players were informed of Ayesteran's decision on Thursday.

"Pako said that maybe he will look to leave the club, and we need to analyse the situation," said Benitez. "It is a surprise as we have worked together for 11 years.

"I cannot say too much. It does surprise me a little bit. The timing is not the best.

"But the best thing for me is not to say much about it now."

Ayesteran had worked under Benitez at a number of clubs in their native Spain before joining him when he left Valencia to take charge of Liverpool.

He had full control over the training and preparation of the squad for matches and he was considered a key figure in the backroom setup.

He was recognised as an expert in the technical and physical areas and was a coach who applied sports science to his work.

But he did not approve of some of the changes Benitez made to the system during pre-season and there were a number of disagreements.

It is understood Ayesteran will officially leave the club once administrative issues around his contract are resolved.

He was linked with Athletic Bilbao during the summer and Liverpool supporters will be hoping rumours of interest from Manchester United and Chelsea in his services are no more than speculation.

The back room staff which Benitez brought with him when he arrived from Valencia three years ago has now effectively broken up, with former coach Paco Herrera and goalkeeping coach Jose Ochotorena also recent departures for entirely different, amicable reasons.

The Reds, meanwhile, made one addition to their squad on transfer deadline day - Lyon midfielder Damien Plessi.

The 19-year-old Frenchman will be added to the reserve squad and Benitez said: "He is a good player, big and strong, and we're sure he'll do well for us.

“He's only a young boy with plenty of time to work on his game but it depends on his progress how quickly he can force his way into the first team."

Steven Gerrard, meanwhile, will join up with England on Monday ahead of next week's international double-header, despite missing today's match at Anfield as he recovers from a broken toe.

"We had a private conversation and I was very clear and he was very honest," said Benitez. "He wants to play every game, but he knows it is important not to take any risks.

"He will join England but we will be in daily contact with him and with the England doctors."

Gerrard will not be joined in the England squad by team-mate Jermaine Pennant on this occasion, but Benitez believes the time is rapidly approaching when the in-form Reds winger will be called up by Steve McClaren.

"I think he deserved a call-up, but I have a lot of respect for the England manager and if he decides to use different players that's okay.

"Jermaine knows he needs to keep working, playing well and maybe in the future he will be in the squad.

"If I am selfish I would say to you I prefer him to stay with us rather than leaving with the national side, but thinking about the player I think he is ready.

“He is improving a lot. Mentally he is more mature and he is very close for me.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2007/09/01/reds-won-t-replace-ayesteran-100252-19718675/

That settles that then.  :o
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #18: Sep 01, 2007 11:12:19 am
      I know he still puts his family first, but maybe an approach for Gary Mac to become some part of the coaching staff, if not assistant boss.
      Liverpool did approach Gary Mac a while ago, offering a position at the club, but he rejected it stating his family was first after the death of his wife.
      Maybe now could be a time to approach him again.
      He would be an ideal number two, with his knowledge of the Premier league, and would gain immediate respect of the players.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #19: Sep 01, 2007 11:19:31 am
      Only put this vote on earlier - we're clearly a 'glass half empty' bunch then.

As long as we get another baldy in we'll be alright.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #20: Sep 01, 2007 11:41:21 am
      Going back to his homeland I can fully understand - so let's hope it's that.

I can imagine working with Rafa can be difficult...look at the way Heighway left.

Seems it's his way or no way, and being the guvnor...who can argue with that !
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #21: Sep 01, 2007 11:54:02 am
      Can't believe he's gone, he's one of the best No.2 around today, lets hope the mancs and the chavs don't get him. Thanks for all the help Paco, good luck in the future!
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #22: Sep 01, 2007 01:34:03 pm
      Can't believe he's gone, he's one of the best No.2 around today, lets hope the mancs and the chavs don't get him. Thanks for all the help Paco, good luck in the future!

Very premature with the good luck wishes mate!  Just been watching Sky Sports and Thommo said 'Watch this space' as to where Paco is going !!!!

Makes me think it could be Chavs or the Mancs then.

Quick Reply