Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Pako's departure - the effect on the reds?

Very very very bad
      (18.4%)
      Not ideal
      (69.4%)
      Makes no difference
      (8.2%)
      Pako who?
      (4.1%)

Pako Ayesteran off

Read 18595 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Re: Reds assistant boss set to quit Anfield (Vote added)
      Reply #23: Sep 01, 2007 02:53:02 pm
      I know he still puts his family first, but maybe an approach for Gary Mac to become some part of the coaching staff, if not assistant boss.
      Liverpool did approach Gary Mac a while ago, offering a position at the club, but he rejected it stating his family was first after the death of his wife.
      Maybe now could be a time to approach him again.
      He would be an ideal number two, with his knowledge of the Premier league, and would gain immediate respect of the players.

He was the first name that occured to me as well. Like to see him brought in to the fold at the very least. If Paco ended up at the Mancs them Fergie can suck on his hypocritical raddish....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #24: Sep 01, 2007 11:08:10 pm
      Obviously after today's game it was proof that it was Paco who was stopping Rafa playing three strikers and going all out attack!
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #25: Sep 02, 2007 05:33:55 pm
      The way I see it ,Rafa is the Gaffa and if things do go wrong (fingers crossed they don't) then Rafa is the one who would lose his job not Paco.OK Paco as now gone and no one will ever get the the bottom of the problem between the two men but IMO Rafa wants to take us to Top and he does seem the type of guy who want everyone,wheather its the players or the coaching staff behind him all the way and if at the end of the season we as a club win the premier league then no one will care what problems Rafa had with anyone at the club
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #26: Sep 02, 2007 08:52:14 pm
      What a time to leave - when the reds go top for the first time in 5 years.

Not clever Paco. Now someone else is going to get to bask in the glory that you have played a part in.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #27: Sep 02, 2007 09:41:10 pm
      Well disloyalty is one word mentioned in the sunday's, being matey with Jose is another.

Think it is safe to assume now that rafa f***in hates mourinho
      Can I also add after reading on teletext, our Rafa is becoming a legend, after being asked again about pako he is quoted on teletext saying "no one is bigger than the club" f***in love him I'm telling yers

Dragging out a statement that is older than me and has been used by several legendary managers at our beloved reds.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #28: Sep 02, 2007 10:23:00 pm
      From tomorrow's Times

Benitez to go without No2

Rafael BenÍtez, the Liverpool manager, has no plans to replace Pako Ayesteran after his assistant’s surprise decision to leave the club last week. Having appointed Paco de Miguel as a fitness coach and Ángel Vales as head of technical analysis at Anfield this summer, BenÍtez believes that he has the staff to compensate for the loss.

The news will only reaffirm Ayesteran’s belief that he was undermined by BenÍtez after arguing that the arrival of De Miguel and Vales encroached on his duties, which involved the technical and fitness aspects of training.

Liverpool did not appear to miss Ayesteran when hammering Derby County 6-0 at Anfield on Saturday, although the departure of such an influential figure is only likely to be felt in the longer term. The players were informed of Ayesteran’s decision on Thursday after training.

Relations between BenÍtez and Ayesteran had been strained for several months. BenÍtez is renowned for keeping his players at arm’s length and believes that his management staff should do the same, but the manager is understood to have felt that Ayesteran had become too close to many members of the senior squad.

BenÍtez also demands extreme loyalty from his staff and is believed to have felt betrayed that Ayesteran was identified for the role of director of football at Athletic Bilbao and that he had a cordial relationship with José Mourinho, his arch rival at Chelsea.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article2374101.ece
      glebe17
      • Forum Michael Robinson
      • Started Topic

• 55 posts | -1 
      Reply #29: Sep 03, 2007 08:03:19 am
      Would it be too much to ask to get yours? According to forum rules I should delete this topic as you've just posted a link without offering any opinion, but seeing as it's an important subject I'll leave it on.

My apologies EddieC. No offense meant. Didn't mean to break the rules. I only saw this as I was leaving work and about to run out the door for the weekend. Haven't even seen a pc till this morning.

My own thoughts...... Very very surprised to here that there is bad feelings between the management at Liverpool considering that all the hard work they have been putting into the squad for the last couple of years is finally paying off. Liverpool have always been considered an extremely fit team and I believe this was due to Pako (and Pako's Hill).

I hope Rafa chooses his replacement carefully.
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2007 12:38:54 pm by glebe17 »
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #30: Sep 03, 2007 12:18:45 pm
      It's not ideal is it to lose an assistant during the season, but at the end of the day all that matters is the players, you can prepare them and train them as much as you can, but if their not up for a game there is nothing you can do, thats where the manager comes in to it, so all's good unless rafa left
      Cy
      Reply #31: Sep 03, 2007 12:55:37 pm
      it's not the best situation but I don't think it would influence the group too much, after all they are all professional and things like this happen. It's a bit sad on a personal note for RAFA and PAKO i think as they have been working years together and finishing like this. Pako has to get credits for what he has done for us, if he has the chance to coach a side in Spain good luck to him.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #32: Sep 03, 2007 04:33:32 pm
      I heard somewhere over the weekend that Rafa was sick of Pako's closeness to Mourinho. Don't know if there's any truth in that.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #33: Sep 10, 2007 09:18:30 pm
      From Tonights Echo

Pako Ayesteran is expected to officially end his association with Liverpool today, on what’s undoubtedly a sad day for the club.

Benitez and Ayesteran did talk in recent days to discuss their differences, but it became evident there was no chance of a reconciliation.

Ayesteran will leave with the best wishes of the club for his excellent contribution, but there is also a steely determination by Benitez to move on and focus on the challenges ahead.

Ayesteran’s departure will not trigger a new appointment.

It’s believed Manchester United and Chelsea will now step up their interest in the fitness coach, as both Sir Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho are known to admire his work.

Ayesteran is settled in England and is expected to remain in this country, which will inevitably attract the attentions of top sides.

I`m gutted at the thought of him going to the Chavs or Urinals, Just hope he returns back to Spain

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #34: Sep 10, 2007 10:04:30 pm
      I`m gutted at the thought of him going to the Chavs or Urinals, Just hope he returns back to Spain

Same here mate. Pako should understand the rivalry between us and Chavski, and certainly between us and the Urinals!! So as much as I wish him the best for the future, because of all the great work he's done for the club. I'd see it as a little kick in the teeth if he went to one of our biggest rivals. I'd be gutted.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #35: Sep 10, 2007 10:11:04 pm
      Maybe Rafa put a clause in his contract to stop old whiskey breath getting his hands on him? ;)

I`d like to think after all the time hes been with Rafa it wouldn't happen.

Maybe its a ploy and he will go to Chelsea and get frank eating more pies as part of his new fitness regime
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #36: Sep 11, 2007 03:04:30 am
      so does anyone know or have an idea what Rafa and Pako's "differences" are?
      Stu503
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Is Pakos departure now a major issue?
      Reply #37: Oct 04, 2007 02:49:38 pm
      I can't help but notice, especially when thinking about performances, not necessarily results, that since Paco Ayesteran left Anfield we have looked lacklustre and devoid of sharpness.  Portsmouth, Porto, Birmingham, Reading(reserves), Wigan and Marseille last night are the fixures in mind and i think we have looked a yard off the pace in every game except the Reading League Cup tie against arguably their second string.  I started thinking about this just after the Porto game because even though we don't always play glorious, slick football we are always exceptional at closing down , working hard and dominating the middle of the park.  We have looked like a different team in  the last few games and althouh there has been only one defeat, the lads just haven't looked quite at the races at all.  I'm really starting to think that Ayesterans leaving is the cause, not the rotation issue.
      « Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007 05:25:21 pm by Court LFC »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Is Pacos departure now a major issue?
      Reply #38: Oct 04, 2007 03:24:52 pm
      I'm sure a lot of people are thinking that Stu. But if wed won those games people wouldn't give Paco a second thought.like the rotaion discussion it boils down to results. are we not winning cos Paco's gone are we not winning cos we rotate too much? neither question would be asked if we were winning

at the end of the day the lads who take to the field know what there job is and whether Paco is there or not they should be doing a lot better then they are
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #39: Oct 04, 2007 03:26:40 pm
      I'm sure a lot of people are thinking that Stu. But if wed won those games people wouldn't give Paco a second thought.like the rotaion discussion it boils down to results. are we not winning cos Paco's gone are we not winning cos we rotate too much? neither question would be asked if we were winning

at the end of the day the lads who take to the field know what there job is and whether Paco is there or not they should be doing a lot better then they are

Seconded! Although I think that Ayesteran was a big influence on the side, Rafa's still doing the things which he did while Pako was here! The fact that we're not winning boils down to our 'official' blip! :-\
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #40: Oct 04, 2007 03:58:25 pm
      Rafa cant do it all on his own...he needs a number 2....besides, things dont look right when u look at our bench, and theres no sign of the guy with the shaved head haha. Paco was very good value for the team....
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #41: Oct 04, 2007 04:09:07 pm
      We are some way off having the kind of team spirit / togetherness that Arsenal seem to have.

We look and play like 11 strangers on the pitch.

I am told that Pako was the good cop. Close to the players at Melwood. Feeding Rafa nuggets of information back in Rafa's office - as Rafa is a distant, cold, sober man-manager that has ZERO time for personal issues.

He and Pako were the same at Tenerife (promotion), Valencia (loads of success) and now Liverpool.

Who is near the players now?

How is executing the soft personal skills with players (particularly in a week/month like SG just had...and we know he is a sensitive kind of guy).

Rafa bring back Pako he has not resigned he is still on the payroll... both of you need to have a long look in the mirror and think about how much success you had before you joined forces (very little - Rafa was going nowhere at Real Madrid and left to join freshly relegated Tenerife... where he met... wait for it Pako and the rest is history).

PLEASE SEÑORES - GET TOGETHER - SORT IT OUT ... AND BACK TO MELWOOD.

THE TEAM NEEDS YOU BOTH NOW.

The impact it would have on the team would be amazing!!

kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #42: Oct 04, 2007 04:18:31 pm
      The players dont know who they are playing with week in week out so how do we train for that fact,we need to get a settled side so the players can gel together.As for a number 2 it wont be long before we are looking for a new manager if Rafa doesnt turn things round soon.
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Re: Is Pakos departure now a major issue?
      Reply #43: Oct 04, 2007 06:17:18 pm
      Jeess, calm down you lot!
      I know we haven't played to our full potential lately, but last night was only our first defeat of the season, and your talking about Rafa getting the sack!  :f_steam:
      Think back to this time last year!
      I'm confident that last night was the kick up the arse the team deserved, and will motivate them to start a winning streak!

Watch out Spurs, beware the wounded animal!  >:D
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #44: Oct 04, 2007 06:22:04 pm
      Jeess, calm down you lot!
      I know we haven't played to our full potential lately, but last night was only our first defeat of the season, and your talking about Rafa getting the sack!  :f_steam:
      Think back to this time last year!
      I'm confident that last night was the kick up the arse the team deserved, and will motivate them to start a winning streak!

Watch out Spurs, beware the wounded animal!  >:D

Well said mate, far too many doom & gloom merchants on here for my liking.

Rafa sacked? Is everyone forgetting that before Rafa arrived just qualifying for the Champions League was an achievement, now we're expected to win every game or he's for the chop?
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #45: Oct 04, 2007 07:21:51 pm
      I've been thinking that Pako leaving has been down to our poor form for a while now, he was always close with the players as Alonso has stated before, but Rafa is distant and only sees the players as employees basically an just keeps a working relationship with them and has no time for there personal problems. And now Pako's gone whose taken up his role? Rafa needs to swallow his pride and bring him back into the fold.

I wouldn't start saying it's time for Rafa to be sacked either, we've lost one game this season and haven't even conceded a goal from open play in the league!

Quick Reply