Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Jose Enrique (Contract Expired)

Read 157284 times
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Re: Jose Enrique Player Thread
      Reply #828: Jul 10, 2014 07:39:02 pm
      Definitely.
      Much under rated is Jose I really like him. Good in defense and good in attack. Maybe not outstanding in both but I'd prefer a FB to be solid enough in both departments than the likes of Johnson (not the best example because I think he's hopeless in both regards) where his game is more sided to one extreme than the other.
      I agree about Enrique. However I think saying Johnson is hopeless is an exaggeration. Truly hopeless would be someone like Cissokho who offers very little across the board. Johnson, in my opinion, has been a great attacking RB for a long time, apart from last season where he suffered a fairly substantial dip in form. For me though he hasn't been anywhere near bad enough for a long enough time to be considered as hopeless in both attack and defence.

And a hopeless player wouldn't be able to score a goal like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGrQogqhJAk

Edit: anyone know how to embed videos on here?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #829: Jul 10, 2014 10:42:46 pm
      One of my mates was out shopping in Liverpool today (he's a Man City fan), he somehow got round to asking him about this season and he said he's feeling great and is hoping to be our starting left back again.

Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #830: Jul 11, 2014 12:26:25 pm
      I would think it will be his last opportunity to prove himself at the club. I like him but he can be very frustrating sometimes, often relying on his strength a little too much and forgetting that he is actually quite quick and doesn't always need to go for the shoulder-to-shoulder challenge. With his injuries etc, I see it being his last chance.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #831: Jul 31, 2014 02:42:54 am
      He didn't look half bad, but that pitch was sh*t and playing on that left side tonight probably sucked.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #832: Aug 05, 2014 10:48:02 am
      Has anyone else heard that rumour that he was not actually injured last season and did not play for some other reason? Probably BS but just curious to what the rumour actually was.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,269 posts | 4935 
      Reply #833: Aug 05, 2014 11:28:45 am
      If we don't sign a LB then I hope he is fully fit as I don't think I can bear a full season of Glen if he keeps his current form.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #834: Sep 10, 2014 10:53:47 am
      Jose Enrique is ready to put his injury nightmare behind him and wants to get back to the levels he showed in his first season at LFC.

more:
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-jose-enrique-looking-7745431
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #835: Sep 10, 2014 11:00:47 am
      That's good news. But for now I perfer Moreno starting. But it is good to have him ready as back up.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #836: Sep 13, 2014 09:31:05 am
      Can Jose play at rb? Can see him playing cameos at lm I think .
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #837: Sep 14, 2014 01:21:17 pm
      Enrique is a great defensive full-back and no slouch going forward either. The truth is; barring injury he played very well under Brendan. A tad underestimated by some; if he's indeed going to be 'understudy' to Moreno then that's the one area I feel we have more than adequate cover.  8)
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #838: Sep 14, 2014 02:40:23 pm
      Enrique is a great defensive full-back and no slouch going forward either. The truth is; barring injury he played very well under Brendan. A tad underestimated by some; if he's indeed going to be 'understudy' to Moreno then that's the one area I feel we have more than adequate cover.  8)
      If they gave out prises for ball watching at set pieces, Jose would need a second trophy cabinet! Of course the same could be said for Stevie, Glen,  Hendo. .......
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #839: Sep 14, 2014 02:59:19 pm
      If they gave out prises for ball watching at set pieces, Jose would need a second trophy cabinet!
      And yet, in the latter part of Brendan's first season, [when the defence got to grips with the new philosophy and senior players were back in the fold], he was part of a very strong defence. Not forgetting his 2 goals and 6 assists, of course.

The memory has a way of playing tricks on the mind - for all those set pieces we were sh*te at, in the latter part we actually conceded few goals [17 in 19 games].

Like I said: a fantastic option and proper cover if indeed that's what he is to be.
      « Last Edit: Sep 15, 2014 10:17:02 am by bad boy bubby »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #840: Sep 14, 2014 03:29:25 pm
      Pooruote author=bad boy bubby link=topic=40033.msg1672015#msg1672015 date=1410703159]
      And yet, strangely, along with Glen, Danny, & Pepe he was part of a very strong defence (when compared with what followed). Not forgetting his goals and assists, of course. The memory has a way of playing tricks on the mind - for all those set pieces they were sh*te at - they conceded few goals.

[/quote]

Not having any stats handy,  I'll take your word for it Bubs. As you say the memory plays tricks, but when ever I think back, we seem to be poor at set pieces since Sami and Carra ceased being our center halves.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,269 posts | 4935 
      Reply #841: Sep 14, 2014 11:04:36 pm

Agree Mouse and I've said one here before that I think he is one of the best LB in the league and with him and Moreno we are well covered in this position.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #842: Sep 15, 2014 10:44:31 am
      Not having any stats handy,  I'll take your word for it Bubs. As you say the memory plays tricks, but when ever I think back, we seem to be poor at set pieces since Sami and Carra ceased being our center halves.
      I'm only going on what actually happened, goals wise, in the second half of that season O_R... the season which many seem to remember as us having a pish defence when the truth is; when we came to grips with a new style of play, our defence coped admirably. Enrique was very much a part of it.

It's quite possible that the majority of goals we conceded were, in fact, from set pieces but the truth is; I'd swap a season where every goal, of 30, was conceded from set pieces, for a season where no goals, in 50, were.

Set pieces seem to be the thing which lasts in a lot of people's memories; the thing they judge most but it can be a Red Herring. To my mind the defence is all about the unit ['keeper, back four and 'defensive midfield]. Get that right; get them conceding less goals; get them keeping more clean sheets and it really doesn't matter if all the goals they concede are from set pieces. If you get my drift?

Our defensive unit from the second half of 2012/13 has changed completely to that which lined-up on Saturday [a line-up which many of 'us' have been crying for by the way] - in only one full season we've went from Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Carragher, Agger & Lucas to... Mignolet, Manquillo, Moreno, Lovren, Sakho & Gerrard.

I'll be one happy Red if our new line-up can match (and better) the record, of their predecessors, this season: set pieces or not.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #843: Sep 15, 2014 02:10:33 pm
      Agree Mouse and I've said one here before that I think he is one of the best LB in the league and with him and Moreno we are well covered in this position.

Agreed.

I think he does lack the eye, touch, and timing to pick a pass going forward but he is very underrated purely as a defender.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #844: Oct 02, 2014 12:38:03 pm
      One of our, ahem, better performers last night, not good enough to mean Moreno doesn't come straight back in against the Baggies.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #845: Oct 20, 2014 04:18:38 am
      Big fan of Jose, but he had a shocker last night and shouldn't be playing ahead of Moreno. Looked slow, his passing was off and he looked weak which is so unlike him. Hopefully he gets back to his best soon, but Moreno should start ahead of him until that is the case
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #846: Oct 20, 2014 06:47:56 am
      Big fan of Jose, but he had a shocker last night and shouldn't be playing ahead of Moreno. Looked slow, his passing was off and he looked weak which is so unlike him. Hopefully he gets back to his best soon, but Moreno should start ahead of him until that is the case

Any news on why Moreno did not even make the bench  vs QPR
       hope he is  not injured because we need him seeing jose's performance yesterday

YNWA
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #847: Oct 20, 2014 11:05:06 am
      Any news on why Moreno did not even make the bench  vs QPR
       hope he is  not injured because we need him seeing jose's performance yesterday

YNWA

Rested for the Madrid game mate.  No injury issues, just squad rotation.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #848: Oct 21, 2014 05:28:43 am
      Rested for the Madrid game mate.  No injury issues, just squad rotation.

Let's hope that's all it is mate, because Jose was terrible against QPR.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #849: Dec 27, 2014 12:48:52 am
      Anyone remember this?  it could be our solution at keeper:

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #850: Dec 27, 2014 04:01:57 am
      Anyone remember this?  it could be our solution at keeper:

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

I called for it to happen during the match thread last night.

Quick Reply