Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

Sebastian Coates Player Thread (Liverpool > Sunderland)

Read 115281 times
      Stigingebjorn
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Re: Sebastian Coates Player Thread
      Reply #598: Jul 15, 2013 05:23:47 pm
      I really agree with a few of the posts saying we are moving too early selling this guy.

I think he is being harshly treated for one or two poor performances. He has moved to a totally different culture and to make our minds up on him so soon is foolish.

His style of play is perfect for Rodgers as he is calm on ball and likes to play from the back. I didn't think he was out of his depth at all v city last year.

He will go to Spain and become a top player there
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #599: Aug 20, 2013 09:38:50 pm
      http://hereisthecity.com/2013/08/20/liverpool-defender-suffers-anterior-cruciate-ligament-injury-rep/?

Reports suggesting he suffered an ACL injury. Not that he was ever in contention for a first team place it would seem to spell the end of any hope for him here and can only wish him the swiftest and fullest recovery.

More emphasis on needing another CB? I doubt it as I didn't see him being a factor this year without a major injury crisis, shame for the lad.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #600: Aug 20, 2013 09:41:55 pm
      Best of luck Seb.
      Tough to recover from.

CB signing now?
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #601: Aug 21, 2013 12:52:37 am
      Sorry to hear Seb has picked up a nasty injury but I also feel bit guilty because my first thought was that perhaps we might now prioritise another CB because I think it is the weakest position in the whole squad. Behind Toure and Agger we've got a player in Skrtel who probably would rather be somewhere else if he's not first choice and is coming off of his poorest season in red shirt and then it was young Coates who barely figured in pre-season and has never looked comfortable in a high line in Rodgers system.

We now surely have to buy someone to come in and challenge for a first team spot
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #602: Aug 21, 2013 01:34:39 am
      The only way I can see a new CB coming into the team if we offload Skrtel, really we can plug in Kelly or Wisdom into CB if needed. Shame for Coates, thought for sure he would be offloaded or loaded out for more playing time, hope he will have a quick recovery
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #603: Aug 21, 2013 09:33:13 am
      sh*te. Bad time in his career to get it too. Was hoping that we would see a good bit of him in some games this season, but won't happen now. 2nd defender in 2 seasons to get big injuries at big stages in their career.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #604: Aug 21, 2013 01:54:32 pm
      Damn that sucks if that's the case. Seba could have at least been playing a load of reserve matches and cup games for us.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #605: Aug 21, 2013 01:59:28 pm
      Always bad news to get an injury like this, even worse when you rarely feature in the 1st team.  Best of luck with your recovery Seb.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #606: Aug 21, 2013 02:30:04 pm
      All the best in yr recovery lad, horrible injury to come back from. YNWA
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1644 
      • YNWA
      Reply #607: Aug 21, 2013 09:06:30 pm
      Wish Seb all the best recovering, but it leaves us short on CB cover.
      Its really just the Skyrtelmyster to fill in if Toure or Agger get injured ... and Mr. Glass (Dagger) could break down at any time.
      Kelly is only returning from injury, so even when he comes back, he'll need games to get match fit/sharp.

Again shows we're short on quality in depth in the squad.

Was just over in the Willian thread, and though like most guys I didn't know too much about the lad, the fact is we WERE in for him but are now chalking it up as yet another player who went elsewhere.

Time is running out and we need at least 2 more players.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #608: Jan 25, 2014 02:14:55 am
      Looks close to be wrapping up a loan deal back at Nacional. Good move for him. Get fit in the run up to the world cup - very important for him and Uruguay. According to Tim Vickery Liverpool haven't given up hopes on him and are prepared to give him a chance next season.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #609: Jan 25, 2014 02:50:39 am
      Looks close to be wrapping up a loan deal back at Nacional. Good move for him. Get fit in the run up to the world cup - very important for him and Uruguay. According to Tim Vickery Liverpool haven't given up hopes on him and are prepared to give him a chance next season.

I've always rated the lad highly. I think he came in for an awful lot of stick based on a couple of performances when having long breaks from the team.

Certainly hasn't been given a run in the side ever and to judge him at this stage would be foolish. What I saw of him for Uruguay was a much better player than we've had a chance to see in our shirt and his goal for us alone would show there is something a little bit special there for a defender.

Has all the attributes to be out of the top draw, but perhaps we'll never see it in this country, hopefully we will though as you say.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #610: Jan 25, 2014 08:55:00 am
      I quite liked what I saw of Seb but we will never see him in a red shirt again.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #611: Jan 25, 2014 10:11:31 am
      Reminds me of Crouch in a way, big lad who isn't naturally good and dominant in the air and is in fact better on the ground.

Think he'll always struggle with the pace in this league but no doubt will be a fine player abroad and for his national team.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #612: Jan 25, 2014 03:09:36 pm
      I've always rated the lad highly. I think he came in for an awful lot of stick based on a couple of performances when having long breaks from the team.

Certainly hasn't been given a run in the side ever and to judge him at this stage would be foolish. What I saw of him for Uruguay was a much better player than we've had a chance to see in our shirt and his goal for us alone would show there is something a little bit special there for a defender.

Has all the attributes to be out of the top draw, but perhaps we'll never see it in this country, hopefully we will though as you say.

I quite liked what I saw of Seb but we will never see him in a red shirt again.

Agree with both posts. Really good defender who didn't get the run his talents deserve. For sure it takes time to adapt to playing in a higher defensive line as is the case with Brendan's Liverpool but he was too young to write off. Had a poor game against Oldham last year where he suffered in the eyes of many supporters (and the manager) but that was unfair because all the players around him were atrocious that day. But he proved his worth against Man City at home in the league last season and I seem to recall an outstanding performance against Chelsea in the league cup in 2011 as well. Stoke away in that competition as well he proved his worth despite an error in the first half. A lot better and a lot more worthy than some people think.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #613: Jan 25, 2014 03:25:16 pm
      Agree with both posts. Really good defender who didn't get the run his talents deserve. For sure it takes time to adapt to playing in a higher defensive line as is the case with Brendan's Liverpool but he was too young to write off. Had a poor game against Oldham last year where he suffered in the eyes of many supporters (and the manager) but that was unfair because all the players around him were atrocious that day. But he proved his worth against Man City at home in the league last season and I seem to recall an outstanding performance against Chelsea in the league cup in 2011 as well. Stoke away in that competition as well he proved his worth despite an error in the first half. A lot better and a lot more worthy than some people think.

Coates will be a better centre back than Skrtel and with time and patience would have been an excellent player for Liverpool. He had all the attributes needed, including good ability on the ball. I have no doubt he'll go on to be a very good player for someone, unless his confidence has taken a massive bash after the way he was treated at Liverpool.

It is madness to buy a foreign young centre back for a few million quid and judge him without giving him an extended run of games in the team to find form and confidence. Yes, he will make mistakes as he finds his feet in the team. But why buy him in the first place if we weren't prepared to give him a real chance in the side - which he never got.

He is good enough. He just hasn't been given a run in the team.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #614: Jan 25, 2014 03:38:20 pm

Coates will be a better centre back than Skrtel and with time and patience would have been an excellent player for Liverpool. He had all the attributes needed, including good ability on the ball. I have no doubt he'll go on to be a very good player for someone, unless his confidence has taken a massive bash after the way he was treated at Liverpool.

It is madness to buy a foreign young centre back for a few million quid and judge him without giving him an extended run of games in the team to find form and confidence. Yes, he will make mistakes as he finds his feet in the team. But why buy him in the first place if we weren't prepared to give him a real chance in the side - which he never got.

Well said. I feel sorry for the lad the way he has been treated and not given a proper chance.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #615: Apr 17, 2014 04:53:39 pm
      Has he recovered from his injury yet?  I haven't seen anything about him all season....  His days at LFC seem to be just about up, but I will always remember him fondly from the stunning volley that he scored at QPR a while back :)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #616: Apr 17, 2014 09:14:39 pm

Totally agree with your post mate, I recall him playing for Uruguay in a under 21 tournament and he was top class. I was delighted when we signed the lad and sad that he will not be a part of our future successes.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #617: Apr 17, 2014 09:22:35 pm
      He is currently on loan in uruguay. Played last weekend and was voted motm.
      Its a pity he didnt get a run of games in the first team, just every once in a while. He could have been great for us.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #618: Apr 19, 2014 06:09:33 am
      Why could of?
      Has he been sold?
      Like you I believe there is a good player in there.
      Wonder if he and illori are compatable.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #619: Apr 19, 2014 10:22:11 am
      I'm not sure Coates ever really fitted Brendan's idea for what he wants from a centre-half in much the same way that Carroll didn't fit his ideas for a centre-forward. I suspect that Coates isn't quite mobile enough for the gaffer. I think if you look at the young Portugese lad Ilori, that is what Brendan is looking for ie. a player who is tall, mobile and very quick. Sakho isn't quite of the same mould but he's is still pretty quick and as a defender he is a very mobile player with good agility. I suspect that Coates (for all his potential) is a little but too slow on the turn and perhaps a little bit too cumbersome for Rodgers.

I also have doubts as to whether Coates would be comfortable in a high line looking to press, step up and be aggressive.  I'm not sure that this is his style.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #620: May 12, 2014 06:37:54 pm
      He is currently on loan in uruguay. Played last weekend and was voted motm.
      Its a pity he didnt get a run of games in the first team, just every once in a while. He could have been great for us.
      I agree. He started off slowly but so did Henderson. This season was the first season without Carragher and I feel it was his chance to break into our team. It's a shame he got injured and I generally feel bad for him as he is missing the world cup. I'd   like to give him longer in our squad. We still need a new CB. I'm not convinced by Skrtel this season.  I like Sakho. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Coates broke into our side alongside Sakho in the future.

Quick Reply