Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Wikipedia says fans chant Munich "particuarly Liverpool"

Read 6314 times
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Wikipedia says fans chant Munich "particuarly Liverpool"
      Sep 20, 2011 11:37:32 pm
      A paragraph from the Leeds United A.F.C. and Manchester United rivalry page:

Two Leeds United fans were stabbed to death during a UEFA Cup game against Galatasaray in 2000.[26] Many Manchester United fans paid their respects, leaving tributes at Elland Road, and there were even reports of Leeds and Manchester United fans embracing, with The Independent using the headline "Old rivalries forgotten as fans unite in grief".[27] However, by the time the two sides faced up in the league, the dark underbelly from a subsection of the fans came out of the shadows and some Manchester United fans unfurled banners bearing the words "MUFC Istanbul Reds" [28] and "Galatasaray Reds", glorifying the killers and mocking the victims. The Manchester United fans who unfurled these banners may have been retaliating to consistent taunting by Leeds fans about the Munich air disaster over the years (these chants have also been made by the supporters of many other clubs, particularly Liverpool), but these banners angered the Leeds fans, who retorted by chanting songs about Munich, and there were reports of seats being ripped up and confrontations after the game.[29]

This seems unfair and unnessessary, is there any way we can get this removed?

Anyone a frequent Wikipedia user who is familiar with the complaints process?
      « Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011 11:42:56 pm by simolfc »
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Re: Wikipedia says fans chant Munich "particuarly Liverpool"
      Reply #1: Sep 20, 2011 11:45:44 pm

There is no complaint process, just edit it.

Done. Removed it.

Some Manc will probably put it back soon enough though.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #2: Sep 20, 2011 11:49:07 pm
      A paragraph from the Leeds United A.F.C. and Manchester United rivalry page:

Two Leeds United fans were stabbed to death during a UEFA Cup game against Galatasaray in 2000.[26] Many Manchester United fans paid their respects, leaving tributes at Elland Road, and there were even reports of Leeds and Manchester United fans embracing, with The Independent using the headline "Old rivalries forgotten as fans unite in grief".[27] However, by the time the two sides faced up in the league, the dark underbelly from a subsection of the fans came out of the shadows and some Manchester United fans unfurled banners bearing the words "MUFC Istanbul Reds" [28] and "Galatasaray Reds", glorifying the killers and mocking the victims. The Manchester United fans who unfurled these banners may have been retaliating to consistent taunting by Leeds fans about the Munich air disaster over the years (these chants have also been made by the supporters of many other clubs, particularly Liverpool), but these banners angered the Leeds fans, who retorted by chanting songs about Munich, and there were reports of seats being ripped up and confrontations after the game.[29]

This seems unfair and unnessessary, is there any way we can get this removed?

I have edited it with the reason "Removed "particularly Liverpool [fans]" when referring to Munich chants. Unnecessary." under my WikiLogin.

If it's reverted back, then I will be following the complaints procedure.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3: Sep 20, 2011 11:51:21 pm
      I have edited it with the reason "Removed "particularly Liverpool [fans]" when referring to Munich chants. Unnecessary." under my WikiLogin.

Good on you Reslivo. Immensely unnecessary and provocative.
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #4: Sep 20, 2011 11:55:42 pm
      Good, sorted :)

Yeah, I know you can just edit it but I don't have a Wikipedia account and was wondering if anyone else had one rather than create one for this and seldom use it again
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #5: Sep 23, 2011 08:29:53 pm
      Why get worked up about it, it sums the mancs up, hypocritical gobshites. Moaning about Munich chants but will then sit and watch as others do the hand in front of the face gestures and then the rest of their witty chants about Hillsborough and killing our own fans and then there is that "without killing anyone" song and the merchandise on manc sites that followed. They say F**k all about that as well!

Good to hear the media finally turn on them after Tuesday night.

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2011 10:01:57 pm by HUYTON RED »
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #6: Sep 23, 2011 08:32:00 pm
      Good, sorted :)

Yeah, I know you can just edit it but I don't have a Wikipedia account and was wondering if anyone else had one rather than create one for this and seldom use it again

You don't need an account, I don't have one.  Just click edit and you can mess with it fix articles.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #7: Nov 27, 2011 09:53:59 am

I've also done some editing regarding the events of the Heysel Stadium Disaster. Under the 1984/85 English Football Page, sub-heading Diary of the Season, I took exception to the original phrase "were killed" by Liverpool fans on the date of the final, and replaced it with a more accurate version of events on the night itself.
      « Last Edit: Nov 27, 2011 10:11:17 am by lfc across the water »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8: Nov 30, 2011 06:52:19 pm
      Keep watch Reslivo/ lfc.

You are our PR Machines. Truth not fiction.

Well done.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #9: Jun 02, 2012 06:12:27 am
      FYI - They did it again, so I've re-edited it.

Ridiculous.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #10: Jun 02, 2012 09:57:39 am
      Well in Res.

The worst part is there are people out there that fully believe everything they read on wikipedia.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #11: Jun 02, 2012 04:49:20 pm
      Look at the Suarez case this year; there are people that believe anything they read in print or on a website full stop. Critical thinking skills and checking sources of stories doesn't happen with too many people.
      Well done Res for changing!
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #12: Jun 12, 2012 05:57:18 am
      Well in Res for keeping a tab on the page and taking necessary actions.
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #13: Jun 16, 2012 08:35:13 pm
      What I wonder is who the loser(s) is/are that insist on changing it

It's not like it's even on the LFC or MUFC page

Keeping tabs on it to make sure the name of your club isn't sullied is understandable but continually putting that on one small wikipedia page is just pathetic

Better man than me Res, I'd forgotten all about this

Quick Reply