Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

R.E.M. call it a day

Read 3351 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      R.E.M. call it a day
      Sep 21, 2011 06:57:32 pm
      The end of one of my favorite bands ever. :(

R.E.M. CALL IT A DAY
      "To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening." R.E.M.

In their own words: The guys share their thoughts on why now.

MIKE

"During our last tour, and while making Collapse Into Now and putting together this greatest hits retrospective, we started asking ourselves, 'what next'? Working through our music and memories from over three decades was a hell of a journey. We realized that these songs seemed to draw a natural line under the last 31 years of our working together.

"We have always been a band in the truest sense of the word. Brothers who truly love, and respect, each other. We feel kind of like pioneers in this--there's no disharmony here, no falling-outs, no lawyers squaring-off. We've made this decision together, amicably and with each other's best interests at heart. The time just feels right."

MICHAEL

"A wise man once said--'the skill in attending a party is knowing when it's time to leave.' We built something extraordinary together. We did this thing. And now we're going to walk away from it.

"I hope our fans realize this wasn't an easy decision; but all things must end, and we wanted to do it right, to do it our way.

"We have to thank all the people who helped us be R.E.M. for these 31 years; our deepest gratitude to those who allowed us to do this. It's been amazing."

PETER

"One of the things that was always so great about being in R.E.M. was the fact that the records and the songs we wrote meant as much to our fans as they did to us. It was, and still is, important to us to do right by you. Being a part of your lives has been an unbelievable gift. Thank you.

"Mike, Michael, Bill, Bertis, and I walk away as great friends. I know I will be seeing them in the future, just as I know I will be seeing everyone who has followed us and supported us through the years. Even if it's only in the vinyl aisle of your local record store, or standing at the back of the club: watching a group of 19 year olds trying to change the world."

http://www.remhq.com/news_story.php?id=1446

I've seen them live twice - once in Rock In Rio, when I was 13, and again a few years ago. Both are between the best concerts I've ever been to. Thanks for your songs R.E.M.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: R.E.M. call it a day
      Reply #1: Sep 21, 2011 07:11:28 pm
      It's a shame but at the same time, I haven't listened to anything they've done since the late 90s. Did some great stuff.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Sep 21, 2011 07:21:59 pm
      Its the end of the world as we know it.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #3: Sep 21, 2011 07:32:40 pm
      The end of one of my favorite bands ever. :(

Simple, but sums it up.

A real shame, but they did create some amazing music in their time.

Best of luck to each of them in the future.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Sep 21, 2011 08:14:51 pm
      No more night swimming? Automatic For The People was one of my favourite albums growing up
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #5: Sep 21, 2011 08:32:55 pm
      So they're planning a massive payoff for performing at Glasto or putting a final tour on then I guess?!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #6: Sep 22, 2011 12:45:01 am
      Can't believe it. One of my favourites as well. Automatic For The People really is one of the best albums ever. And their last album Collapse Into Now was a fine departure for the band particularly Uberlin which is just a wonderful song. It's a shame that not the same amount of people bought into them as they once did. You don't know what you've got until you've lost it I guess. Good luck to whatever they do in the future. One of the finest bands ever.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #7: Sep 22, 2011 10:37:24 am
      A great band, but I think the time was right.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #8: Sep 22, 2011 10:59:41 am
      So they're planning a massive payoff for performing at Glasto or putting a final tour on then I guess?!!
      Could be the case mate or they might just fade away as is the nature of the band and let their music remind us of the outrageous talent they are.
      Saw them at Manchester Cricket ground a couple of years back and they were unbelievable, their lives shows have an atmosphere that raises the audience to a different level.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #9: Sep 22, 2011 01:35:15 pm
      A great band, but I think the time was right.
      That's pretty much what I was getting at. Great band but they haven't done anything of note for quite some time so as with all good things, it had to come to an end. They've had a good stint.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #10: Sep 22, 2011 08:24:53 pm
      A great band, great music and great memories but everything has to come to an end sooner or later,
      Bier
      Reply #11: Sep 22, 2011 09:54:11 pm
      Great band but wasn't really into their latest albums anyway. But they really did make some incredible songs. One thing though, they also made one of the by me most hated songs.. Everybody Hurts. Listening to that song is torture for me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #12: Sep 22, 2011 10:45:02 pm
      One of my favourite bands over the years who produced some great albums but all things come to an end eventually.

The only real disappointment for me is I won't get the chance to see them live as I have missed out any time they have been in Ireland.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #13: Sep 22, 2011 10:49:32 pm
      No more night swimming? Automatic For The People was one of my favourite albums growing up
      I always preferred 'Monster'. I suppose it was because it fitted in better with the grunge scene at the time. I listened to it biking home a few weeks ago actually, still enjoyed it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #14: Sep 22, 2011 10:51:45 pm
      I always preferred 'Monster'. I suppose it was because it fitted in better with the grunge scene at the time. I listened to it biking home a few weeks ago actually, still enjoyed it.

Monster is too underrated rep. I love that album as well and along with Automatic it's the REM album I always go back to listen to.

Another one I really like but was also underrated was Up.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #15: Sep 22, 2011 10:53:43 pm
      Another one I really like but was also underrated was Up.

Never owned that, I'll check it out.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16: Sep 22, 2011 11:00:20 pm

I love Monster but I think Automatic For The People will forever by my favourite R.E.M. album. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight is one of the best songs ever.

It is true the end of the band didn't come as a shock, since they've been around for so long, but it feels weird anyway. I hate the fact I'll never see them live again. Rock In Rio 2001 was the first gig I ever been to, aged 13. They 'closed' the first night, playing after Beck and the Foo Fighters. Those are precious memories. I'll never forget jumping with my back turned to the stage during "It's the end of the world" so I could see the other 250 thousand people jumping along. It was amazing.

Feels emotional to talk about REM, that's how highly important they've been in my life. I guess I'll be listening to them non stop for a while.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #17: Sep 22, 2011 11:04:13 pm
      So many good songs on Automatic For The People Diego and I love the album but Drive and Find The River are my favourites from that album.

Never owned that, I'll check it out.

It's a lot different from Monster and most of their albums to be honest. Probably most similar to new Adventures In Hi Fi but has some of my favourite REM songs and I just like how the album sounds.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #18: Sep 23, 2011 04:31:40 pm
      I love Monster but I think Automatic For The People will forever by my favourite R.E.M. album. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight is one of the best songs ever.

It is true the end of the band didn't come as a shock, since they've been around for so long, but it feels weird anyway. I hate the fact I'll never see them live again. Rock In Rio 2001 was the first gig I ever been to, aged 13. They 'closed' the first night, playing after Beck and the Foo Fighters. Those are precious memories. I'll never forget jumping with my back turned to the stage during "It's the end of the world" so I could see the other 250 thousand people jumping along. It was amazing.

Feels emotional to talk about REM, that's how highly important they've been in my life. I guess I'll be listening to them non stop for a while.

Sidewinder is one of my most played songs on itunes. Only Sprawl ii (Arcade Fire) and Lovers In Japan/Reign Of Love (Coldplay) have more plays.

That tune, that vocal performance is one in a million.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #19: Nov 03, 2011 02:39:43 pm
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #20: Nov 04, 2011 05:02:46 pm
      Its the end of the world as we know it.

;D

I was in my local Indian restaurant when I found out. Man, I just collapsed into my curry yes...that's me in the Korma.  ;D

Joking aside; I've been privileged enough to have caught them live a number of times down the years - first time in Croke Park 1985 with U2, The Alarm & Squeeze. I sort of grew out of them a bit but let me tell you this: when you saw them live, irrespective of liking their music or not, you knew you were in the presence of a top, top, quality band.

Oh and 'Automatic For The People'- one of the most memorable albums of all time.  8)

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2011 05:32:31 pm by bad boy bubby »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #21: Nov 04, 2011 05:25:43 pm
      Entirely agree mate about the album as well, liked the band from the word go and was lucky enough to see them at Manchester cricket ground a while back. Having been to more gigs than I care to remember and having that 'seen it all before' head on, I was in a state of shock at the way the people were hypnotised and mesmerised by Stipe and his cohorts. They did encore after encore and played on for an extra hour at least - probably more, at no time did I get the impression they were past their best.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #22: Nov 04, 2011 07:15:55 pm
      Regarding the clip that Diego posted, they're right, it is quite rare for bands to call it a day with their dignities intact.
      I sencerely hope that they aren't ever tempted to make a comeback (barring maybe a one-off charity event). I know that earlier in this thread people were saying it's great for today's teenagers to be able to see some of the bands that have reformed but REM have been around for a very very long time and if they do genuinely leave it at that, I think I will respect them, more for it.
      If they still want to play a part in music then there are plenty of ways to help a new generation of musicians.

Quick Reply