Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)

Read 671976 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Steven Gerrard Player Thread
      Reply #4393: Jul 21, 2014 04:42:31 pm
      Great stuff for us! Stevie can keep those legs fresher now without internationals.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4394: Jul 21, 2014 05:06:17 pm
      Is that 100% official lads?
      LFCexiled
      Reply #4395: Jul 21, 2014 05:14:33 pm

Yup, it's all over the place and the owly faced c**t has said he's disappointed. Deal with it you old b***ard.

Well in Stevie, wise decision to extend your playing career and not have to take the flak when project owl 3.0 inevitably fails.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4396: Jul 21, 2014 05:26:29 pm
      Regardless of the fact that we have CL football back this year, Steven retiring after the World Cup was always expected and absolutely the right decision. It's a shame his international career was very underwhelming compared to his club career. His relative shortcomings at international level is the perfect example of a nation that has had immense talent but fails to utilise it in a cohesive/holistic manner.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4397: Jul 21, 2014 05:27:13 pm
      Yup, it's all over the place and the owly faced c**t has said he's disappointed. Deal with it you old b***ard.

Well in Stevie, wise decision to extend your playing career and not have to take the flak when project owl 3.0 inevitably fails.

Great news
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #4398: Jul 21, 2014 05:46:40 pm
      Gerrard has done the right thing. We need Gerrard fit at Liverpool and England have many options such as Ox, Wlshire and Barkey etc... nothing against Hendo but he's not the best option in my opinion to replace Gerrard yet.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #4399: Jul 21, 2014 06:05:08 pm
      nothing against Hendo but he's not the best option in my opinion to replace Gerrard yet.

I'm sure Jordan will live with it.

And Woy the wise old owl can do one.

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4400: Jul 21, 2014 07:11:26 pm
      Good timing Stevie. Fair play lad.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #4401: Jul 21, 2014 07:25:30 pm
      F***ing made up, he's carried the gobshites too long and he's been getting stick off the Ingerland faithful too long as well.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4402: Jul 21, 2014 08:51:01 pm
      Fantastic news, knows where his priorities are ;)

He probably know Ingerland are going nowhere with the current setup and this will hopefully prolong his career with us.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #4403: Jul 21, 2014 09:06:29 pm
      Good decision, could of done with this happening 6 years ago!

Well done Stevie lad, focus on the Reds where we actually appreciate you!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4404: Jul 21, 2014 09:08:33 pm
      Sterling, Henderson, Flanno & Sturridge next, please!!!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #4405: Jul 21, 2014 10:32:51 pm
      I.LOVE.STEVEN.GERRARD
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #4406: Jul 21, 2014 11:03:00 pm
      Stevie would have packed it in before last season had it not been for the WC . Better late than never , now he can concentrate fully on the club that pays his wages .
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,148 posts | 258 
      Reply #4407: Jul 22, 2014 08:56:12 am
      Finally, Stevie :)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4408: Jul 22, 2014 09:58:51 pm
      Brilliant news. Well done Stevie.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #4409: Jul 29, 2014 12:54:03 pm
      The hardest thing about being a supporter is being objective towards your own team. Second only to being objective to the figurehead and lifelong captain of that team. Gerrard is a Liverpool player for life. He grew up a Red, he was an academy player and will retire a Red.

In this day of corporate boxes, massive transfer and endorsement deals and players jumping ship when its sinking, we have a player who stayed and if anything he should be applauded for that alone.  I think Gerrard will retire when he cant play. He is the type of player who would rather sit than cause his team to lose. I say "F**k All" to any Manc or Chelsea supporters who say otherwise. Especially when talking about his  "slip" last season. It was a slip. It wasnt his age or legs. He slipped.  Its better than having some walking racist like Terry or Rooney who paid money to bang some old pensioner-prostitute.

Gerrard deserves to play. He will say when its over. I trust him.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4410: Jul 29, 2014 01:00:59 pm
      The hardest thing about being a supporter is being objective towards your own team. Second only to being objective to the figurehead and lifelong captain of that team. Gerrard is a Liverpool player for life. He grew up a Red, he was an academy player and will retire a Red.

In this day of corporate boxes, massive transfer and endorsement deals and players jumping ship when its sinking, we have a player who stayed and if anything he should be applauded for that alone.  I think Gerrard will retire when he cant play. He is the type of player who would rather sit than cause his team to lose. I say "F**k All" to any Manc or Chelsea supporters who say otherwise. Especially when talking about his  "slip" last season. It was a slip. It wasnt his age or legs. He slipped.  Its better than having some walking racist like Terry or Rooney who paid money to bang some old pensioner-prostitute.

Gerrard deserves to play. He will say when its over. I trust him.

You make a valid point! We can trust Gerrard that he knows when he will call it a day. But he won't play every match for sure, if he want to prolong his time here.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #4411: Jul 31, 2014 02:47:24 am
      He ran his butt off trying to cover for Allen tonight.  I felt bad when his momentum caused him to fall on that ball.  But it wasn't his fault, our back line was pretty much underwhelming tonight.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4412: Aug 01, 2014 04:30:15 pm
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4413: Aug 19, 2014 01:08:00 pm
      Wonder why Stevie's little girl is wearing a Bayern top? Just saying like.

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #4414: Aug 28, 2014 12:51:38 pm
      There hasn't been a comment about the skipper for a while, which I find a bit strange given how much responsibility he has on his shoulders.

Against City, I thought he had a decent game. Some of his passing again was just unbelievable. However, there is a very obvious part of his game that is costing us on occasion - his defensive duties. He is the anchor of the midfield and plays most of his time just in front of the CBs, sometimes even in between. It's a great position for him to read the game and dictate the passing/pace of the game. However, it's a position that requires a lot of defending and I feel Stevie's comes up short a bit too often. He isn't a great tackler and he has lost some pace.

He was partially at fault for Aguero's goal, he could have positioned himself better to cut out the pass. There has been a few too many occasiona last season where attacking teams have been allowed too much space to pick up the ball in that area between our 18 yard box and the centre circle and play a telling last ball. Happened at City a few times, happened against palace, stoke comes to mind amongst others.

I know BR has played Lucas alongside him on occasion, but he hasn't had regular games to be as effective. Allen is great at breaking up play but not strong enough in tackle. I think we need a similar system to what we had with Mascha/Alonso. This could be Stevie and Can or Stevie and Hendo (allbeit Hendo is better going forward so would be a waste). But leaving Stevie as the last midfielder back has caught us out a few times.

What do people think?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #4415: Aug 28, 2014 12:58:33 pm
      There hasn't been a comment about the skipper for a while, which I find a bit strange given how much responsibility he has on his shoulders.

Against City, I thought he had a decent game. Some of his passing again was just unbelievable. However, there is a very obvious part of his game that is costing us on occasion - his defensive duties. He is the anchor of the midfield and plays most of his time just in front of the CBs, sometimes even in between. It's a great position for him to read the game and dictate the passing/pace of the game. However, it's a position that requires a lot of defending and I feel Stevie's comes up short a bit too often. He isn't a great tackler and he has lost some pace.

He was partially at fault for Aguero's goal, he could have positioned himself better to cut out the pass. There has been a few too many occasiona last season where attacking teams have been allowed too much space to pick up the ball in that area between our 18 yard box and the centre circle and play a telling last ball. Happened at City a few times, happened against palace, stoke comes to mind amongst others.

I know BR has played Lucas alongside him on occasion, but he hasn't had regular games to be as effective. Allen is great at breaking up play but not strong enough in tackle. I think we need a similar system to what we had with Mascha/Alonso. This could be Stevie and Can or Stevie and Hendo (allbeit Hendo is better going forward so would be a waste). But leaving Stevie as the last midfielder back has caught us out a few times.

What do people think?

Agree mate. I'd like to see a partnership of Can and Henderson at one point in the season because Gerrard can't be playing every game, he doesn't have it in him.

I think if Gerrard is to start and be effective he needs an partner in midfield because like you said his positioning isn't the best defensively, initially I thought his anchoring role was the best position for him and it still may be, but it isn't as effective for the team.

I know people say Henderson and Gerrard doesn't work but if Gerrard is to start I think he needs Henderson by his side, everyone moans about Lucss not being mobile enough but I don't see Gerrard having it in him to be as mobile either. Therefore the person by his side needs sh*t loads of energy and Hendo has that in abundance.

Gerrard  Hendo

Sterling                     Lallana

Balotelli

Sturridge

or for when Gerrard starts to fatigue or form dips, we swap Can for Stevie.

That's how I see it, because relying on Gerrard to take the defensive duties up by himself seems too much to ask.

Quick Reply