Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)

Read 666385 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Steven Gerrard Player Thread
      Reply #4991: May 26, 2015 10:01:08 pm
      what happend in those last two games if ever you wanted to see a team play exactly the opposite way that steven Gerrard has done for so long
      then thats what they did.
      I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall of that dressing room after the match.
      What about a managment team of stevie,Jamie and Sami.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #4992: May 26, 2015 10:06:28 pm
      Saw him score his last goal at Anfield v QPR and was at Stoke on Sunday to see him score his final goal for us away....pity some of his team mates couldnt get themselves up to help such a legend out....broke my heart to watch him trudge off the pitch  >:(

Enjoy a couple of years in the sunshine Stevie and then come back to save us xxxxx YNWA xxxxx
      I was watching the game on the telle and saw you in the stand Cas . You're a proper supporter that deserves better than that tripe been served up . YNWA

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #4993: May 26, 2015 10:11:59 pm
      I've said for a long while that Steven's playing days were on the wane.  I didn't agree with the holding midfielder bollocks - it didn't work and was never going to.  When we knew he had this season with us I'd argued that he should have been that man on the bench who could come on, at the right end of the field for him, and do something if needed.

Still (and this says it all about our transfer strategy) he was the most natural goalscorer at the club this year - utilised as a third centre-back for large parts of the season.  Shoddy.

His footballing impact may have lessened but even though it is right that it's time for him to leave he will still leave a huge hole in terms of leadership.  We don't have a natural replacement as a leader - and it's a real shame to see no senior local player in the team.  This day was always going to come and Liverpool are fools for not allowing a natural succession to take hold.  Absolutely moronic.

Good luck in LA.  The state Liverpool are in is practically nothing to do with you.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #4994: May 26, 2015 10:15:33 pm
      at the end of the day he'll be regarded as one of the greatest players to grace the prem and a player that turned down the chance to become more successful in order to cement his fame in the '1 man club' and up there with the most loyal players of his generation.

respected and appreciated by past players and managers of rival clubs
      MsGerrard
      Reply #4995: May 26, 2015 10:20:45 pm
      I was watching the game on the telle and saw you in the stand Cas . You're a proper supporter that deserves better than that tripe been served up . YNWA

Cheers Sean....what surprised and saddened me was how many people didn't come back to their seats for the second half  :( they missed Stevie's goal...would never walk away, stay to the end and clap Gerrard off.
      After last season, this one was poor and hugely dissapointing, just hope Stevie takes the best memories away with him.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #4996: May 26, 2015 10:25:04 pm
      a player that turned down the chance to become more successful in order to cement his fame in the '1 man club'

I'm not sure he saw it as turning down the chance to be more successful.  I genuinely think he thought Liverpool could move forward.  European Cup win, the kind of players Benitez brought in Alonso, Torres etc he probably did have reason to think something was building.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #4997: May 26, 2015 10:32:00 pm
      Cheers Sean....what surprised and saddened me was how many people didn't come back to their seats for the second half  :( they missed Stevie's goal...would never walk away, stay to the end and clap Gerrard off.
      After last season, this one was poor and hugely dissapointing, just hope Stevie takes the best memories away with him.
      I don't think we'll see his like again for a generation to come . There is something so under handed in the way he wasn't offered a new contract earlier in the summer . I'm fuming at the way it was handled , he may have been a pace off his old self but for me still twice the player of Henderson and 4 times the player of Allen .

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #4998: May 26, 2015 10:51:22 pm
      I've said for a long while that Steven's playing days were on the wane.  I didn't agree with the holding midfielder bollocks - it didn't work and was never going to.  When we knew he had this season with us I'd argued that he should have been that man on the bench who could come on, at the right end of the field for him, and do something if needed.

Still (and this says it all about our transfer strategy) he was the most natural goalscorer at the club this year - utilised as a third centre-back for large parts of the season.  Shoddy.

His footballing impact may have lessened but even though it is right that it's time for him to leave he will still leave a huge hole in terms of leadership.  We don't have a natural replacement as a leader - and it's a real shame to see no senior local player in the team.  This day was always going to come and Liverpool are fools for not allowing a natural succession to take hold.  Absolutely moronic.

Good luck in LA.  The state Liverpool are in is practically nothing to do with you.

Pretty much agree with all of this JD.

MsGerrard
      Reply #4999: May 26, 2015 10:58:32 pm
      I don't think we'll see his like again for a generation to come . There is something so under handed in the way he wasn't offered a new contract earlier in the summer . I'm fuming at the way it was handled , he may have been a pace off his old self but for me still twice the player of Henderson and 4 times the player of Allen .

Absolutely, he may be very slightly off the pace these days, but his footballing brain is by far and above anyone else on that pitch, LFC should have done everything and anything to keep him.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5000: May 30, 2015 12:21:01 pm
      Just come across these, don't know when it was done but thought I'd post them on here.

https://youtu.be/Ifsu3SIC6kw

https://youtu.be/qKmp--v-DOA
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #5001: May 30, 2015 12:26:40 pm
      Jesus just thought, when will this thread close? That will be a strange moment
      Bier
      Reply #5002: May 30, 2015 03:00:58 pm
      Jesus just thought, when will this thread close? That will be a strange moment

It won't close I think, just be moved to another section. Then hopefully some day he'll come back to the club in some capacity and it can be moved to The Kop.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #5003: Jun 01, 2015 04:01:34 am
      the last true soul leaves the premier league.... until he returns to manage, we hope
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5004: Jun 09, 2015 12:00:04 pm
      BT Sport have announced that at least 12 Champions League games will be shown on free-to-air television next season.

The broadcaster, who will have sole UK rights for the Champions League and Europa League games from next term, will show those matches on a new channel called BT Sport Showcase, along with at least 14 Europa League games. Each participating British team will be shown at least once.

Gary Lineker will be the broadcaster's main presenter but will still host Match of the Day on BBC1, while former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard will be a pundit.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,454 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5005: Jun 09, 2015 01:20:07 pm
      Ah ffs. Gary fukin lineker. :-(
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #5006: Jun 24, 2015 01:47:42 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5007: Jun 24, 2015 02:24:46 pm

One game I wouldn't worry about it, not like he was putting in that many motm performances at the time.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,454 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5008: Jun 24, 2015 02:40:57 pm

Ive said many times, it was a collective dropping of players for that madrid game, they were all shocking v newcastle game b4.

But maybe BR could have started his captain in that game, and rested him v newcastle.

One of many mistakes by BR last season as we have discussed loads.

On other hand, he could have played Gerrard might have stayed another couple of seasons, and we would have watched a legend get shown up more every week.

From that point of view he has quit at the right time, we remember many many great games from Gerrard.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #5009: Jun 24, 2015 02:42:18 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5010: Jun 24, 2015 05:44:05 pm
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #5011: Jun 24, 2015 06:00:58 pm

So you aprove Brendan's masterplan of resting key players against Madrid, on our European comeback, because we were playing Chelsea at the weekend. Do you know how that turned out ? Lost both games.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #5012: Jun 24, 2015 06:06:08 pm
      So you aprove Brendan's masterplan of resting key players against Madrid, on our European comeback, because we were playing Chelsea at the weekend. Do you know how that turned out ? Lost both games.

Considering how some of those players played just a few days before at Newcastle?

Yeah I don't have issue with the what the gaffer did.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #5013: Jun 24, 2015 06:12:16 pm

What's that got to do with you being 'gutted' at how Gerrard was treated?

He was left out if a game. Get over it.
      « Last Edit: Jun 24, 2015 06:22:36 pm by srslfc »

Quick Reply