Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The what are you drinking thread

Read 127714 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: The what are you drinking thread
      Reply #598: Apr 29, 2015 11:15:12 am
      Just signed up to Beer Hawk bi-monthly club.  15 beers, assorted strengths and variety.  Few others clubs out there, depending on how many beers you want and how often. Looking forward to the first case. 

How much is that Rodders?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #599: Apr 29, 2015 11:18:42 am

£46.99, inc postage.  Just over 3 quid a bottle, but I'll get beer I wouldn't find locally. 
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #600: May 01, 2015 11:55:43 pm
      So the beer has arrived, I recognised one by it's lid, Brewdog's Alice Porter, a 5.2% dark concoction, that I look forward to trying again.

The rest are all new to me, not drinking tonight, work starts early tomorrow.

Harviestoun Ola Dubh, aged in whisky casks used to make 12 year old whisky and hitting a respectable 8%. 

Flying Dog's Supertramp came out next, a tart cherry ale that hails from Maryland.

From Stewart Brewery something called Ka Pai South Pacific IPA, really looking forward to this, as IPAs are hitting the right spot for me, at present.

Out next is The Durham Brewery and a light bitter called Magus (3.8%), bottle conditioned, still maturing and recommends you serve it at 10c.

Sion Kolsch came out next, worked out it's German, 4.8% and little else.

I recognised the next one, by name only, a Trappist Ale called Orval (6.2%), a Belgian Pale Ale brewed by monks.

Calypso was the next bottle, brewed by Siren Craft Brew, a 4% Berliner Weisse style beer which, according to the label, is a sour wheat beer.

Another bottle conditioned ale was next, The Kernel (5.3%), which has instructions to drink fresh and has less than a 5 week life span left.

11% Ingelmunster Kasteel Tripel came out next, all I can glean is it's Belgian and strong.

The Ilkley Brewery Company's Siberia Rhubarb Saison (5.9%) came out next, rhubarb, strange, but I like strange and I like rhubarb.

The last bottle is Mittenwalder Karwendel Hell, German, 4.9% and nowt else to be gleaned from the label.

I also received three cans from Roosters in Yorkshire, an original Pale Ale called Yankee (4.3%), an American Pale Ale called Fort Smith (5%) and an Indian Pale Ale called Baby-faced Assassin (6.1%)

Apart from The Kernal and Siberia, they all have decent shelf lives and only two months until my next delivery.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #601: May 02, 2015 10:24:21 pm
      Greene King IPA Gold.

And for a wee treat.

Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #602: May 03, 2015 12:00:26 am
      I am going to have a nice Stella tonight.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #603: May 03, 2015 12:04:41 am
      I am going to have a nice Stella tonight.

Rather you then me. :f_tongueincheek: ;D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #604: May 03, 2015 01:11:41 am
      So cracked open The Kernel, not got the greatest sense of smell, but it does have a distinctly citrus and hoppy aroma.  Slow poured, as per the instructions, a cloudy, almost dirty looking pale ale, somewhere between the blonde of a lager and the light brown of a light bitter.  Decent head on it, that has dissipated only slightly after a few sips and is clinging to the side of the glass.  Fizzy, but not overly so, bitter and hoppy on the way down, that sweetens on the after taste.  Very good beer, certainly one I'd consider if out, but not one I'd keep a stockpile of at home.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #605: May 03, 2015 03:01:54 pm

Another new beer tried, Siberia Rhubarb Saison, slightly metallic smell and no head forming as I pour.  Doesn't look heavily carbonated and has a dark amber colour.  On first taste, fizzy on the tongue, almost sweet and bitter at the same time and when the rhubarb comes through, it's very similar to the rhubarb in rhubarb and custard sweets and it fades into a dryly bitter after taste.  Not enjoyed this one at all, interesting flavour combination, not for me though.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #606: May 03, 2015 06:33:01 pm

Mittenwalder Karwendel Hell up next, slightly sweet and subtle fruit notes in the aroma, a decent head soon dissipates and it has  a clear golden colour. The taste hits the same sweet and soft, fruity notes it smelled of. Lightly carbonated, it does froth up in the mouth a little and has a very light, hoppy after taste.  Be very nice on a summer afternoon in a beer garden or if you're having a BBQ.  A step up from most lagers and certainly one I'd entertain again, on a warm summers day.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #607: May 03, 2015 06:53:39 pm
      Rodders, Sounds like you received a great collection of brews. Enjoy drinking them.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #608: May 09, 2015 09:49:12 pm

Roosters Yankee Pale Ale on my little tasting session next. Flowery and hoppy on the noise, pours to a large head that quickly halves.  Somewhere between gold and amber in colour, on the beer scale.  Hoppy and bitter on first taste, subtle flowery notes and wonderfully bitter and dry with a slight metallic note on the after taste.  Gorgeous beer.  Looking forward to the other two in this range.  Definitely one I might stock a few of. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #609: May 09, 2015 10:26:26 pm

Roosters Yankee Pale Ale on my little tasting session next. Flowery and hoppy on the noise, pours to a large head that quickly halves.  Somewhere between gold and amber in colour, on the beer scale.  Hoppy and bitter on first taste, subtle flowery notes and wonderfully bitter and dry with a slight metallic note on the after taste.  Gorgeous beer.  Looking forward to the other two in this range.  Definitely one I might stock a few of. 

Like the sound of that mate.

Just plain old Murphy's for me tonight.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #610: May 09, 2015 10:39:52 pm
      Like the sound of that mate.

Just plain old Murphy's for me tonight.

I'm just enjoying trying new beers and I tried another from the Roosters range, this time Fort Smith, an American Pale Ale.  Sweet and citrusy on the nose, mild, sweet and a soft hoppy taste.  Would work very well as a session beer on a summers day, just doesn't tick my boxes, still a good beer though. Mulling it over, this sweet number would work excellently with BBQ food, in fact burgers in general.  I'd recommend it, just not for me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #611: May 09, 2015 10:40:59 pm
      I'm just enjoying trying new beers and I tried another from the Roosters range, this time Fort Smith, an American Pale Ale.  Sweet and citrusy on the nose, mild, sweet and a soft hoppy taste.  Would work very well as a session beer on a summers day, just doesn't tick my boxes, still a good beer though. Mulling it over, this sweet number would work excellently with BBQ food, in fact burgers in general.  I'd recommend it, just not for me.

Like you I love trying new beers and I'm almost at the end of what new stuff I can buy in the shops so I am considering what you are doing with the beer club.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #612: May 09, 2015 10:55:55 pm
      Like you I love trying new beers and I'm almost at the end of what new stuff I can buy in the shops so I am considering what you are doing with the beer club.

After one case, I can't say wow, but they have sent a really good mix and a free pint glass.  Went with Beer Hawk, it's just over £3 a beer, after delivery, but I was getting so bored with the selection available, locally.  If you PM your email, I'll send you an invitation.  It gets me a couple of free beers, if you join. :)
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #613: May 20, 2015 10:51:03 pm
      I'm turning into an alco and it's all Rodgers fault  :drink:  ;D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #614: May 20, 2015 10:53:35 pm
      Looks like a good purchase, Rodders.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #615: May 21, 2015 03:48:01 am
      Looks like a good purchase, Rodders.

I can say I'm thoroughly enjoying it, been sorting out all my online accounts and bits and pieces this morning, that I should have sorted after the fire, and although I normally don't drink when I'm working the next day, I drank the Supertramp and while it promised a tart cherry ale, it failed to deliver on the tart but was a definitely cherry tinged and a weird pinky-amber colour.  Would work really well with a vanilla dessert.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #616: May 22, 2015 02:40:14 am
      Some pretty decent and well priced pinot noir...love me some red wine
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #617: May 22, 2015 08:21:20 pm
      Mandatory cans of Strongbow (as many as I can) a week off work and back to the uk so reason to celebrate I think!.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #618: Jul 04, 2015 05:27:03 pm
      Got my second case from the beer club, time and a properly working laptop prevented some further reviews.  Just started my first one from the new case, the Chorlton Woodruff Berliner. I will try and review the rest, which are -

The Ticketybrew Co Münchner 4.5%
      Früh Kölsch 4.8%
      Fordham Copprhead Ale 5%
      Harviestoun The Ridge 5%
      The Wipers Times Kazematten 6.2%
      Maredsous Abbaye-Abdij Blonde 6%
      Flying Dog HBC-431 Imperial IPA - 10%
      Thornbridge Otto Weizen Dopplebock - 8%
      Flying Dog Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale 5.6%
      Weird Beard Faceless Spreadsheet Ninja 5.5%
      The Kernel Simcoe Amarillo Mosaic 5.1%
      The Kernel Citra Zeus 5.2%
      Ka Pai South Pacific IPA 5.2%
      Saugatuck Brewing Neapolitan Milk Stout 6%

That last one means neapolitan as well, chocolate, vanilla and strawberry beer!

Chorlton Woodruff Berliner (3.8%) - 3/5

I'm not a huge wheat beer fan, I have no idea what woodruff is. I am however a fan of the sour. This has a lovely sour flavour, cut with a subtle sweetness. That's all it offered though and has nothing to lift it from mediocrity.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #619: Jul 04, 2015 05:44:54 pm
      Nice refreshing Mojitos for me today  ;D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #620: Jul 04, 2015 06:19:15 pm
      Saugatuck Brewing Neapolitan Milk Stout 6% - 4/5

First of all, ignore the gimmickry , this is, at its heart, a very, very good stout.  And then it does what it promises, you get the chocolate, vanilla and strawberry notes, and the normal, creamy, slightly bitter coffee notes of stout at the end.  What is odd, is you don't get every flavour, every time.  Really surprised, thought this would be a curiosity at best and ended up enjoying a really good beer.

Quick Reply