Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

MTV Awards. Are The Winners A Sign Music Is A Dying Art?

Read 5818 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      MTV Awards. Are The Winners A Sign Music Is A Dying Art?
      Nov 08, 2011 09:58:17 am
      Take Adele out and this has to be the worst list of winners I've ever seen.
      Queen - Global icon is fair enough, but for Adele to get tokenism is a joke.
      As is Linkin Park- Best Rock
      or
      Thirty Seconds To Mars - Best Alternative - Best World Stage.

Music, the music I grew up loving, has long since ceased to be.

Full List of MTV EMA 2011 Winners
      Best Female β€” Lady Gaga
      Best Male β€” Justin Bieber
      Best Pop β€” Justin Bieber
      Best Song β€” Lady Gaga, 'Born This Way'
      Best Rock β€” Linkin Park
      Global Icon β€” Queen
      Best Video β€” Lady Gaga, 'Born This Way'
      Biggest Fans β€” Lady Gaga
      Best Alternative β€” Thirty Seconds To Mars
      Best Hip Hop β€” Eminem
      Best World Stage β€” Thirty Seconds To Mars
      Best Push β€” Bruno Mars
      Best New β€” Bruno Mars
      Best Live β€” Katy Perry
      Best UK & Ireland β€” Adele
      Best Worldwide β€” Bigbang
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: MTV Awards. Are The Winners A Sign Music Is A Dying Art?
      Reply #1: Nov 08, 2011 10:12:06 am
      I have to agree racer - it's music for people who don't like music.

I'm not a music snob and have very eclectic taste but if the likes of these are considered to be the "best" - one has to question the jury's frames of reference.

Bier
      Reply #2: Nov 08, 2011 10:52:49 am
      No, not a sign of it being a dying art, I don't think good music ceased to be. Nowadays the people who watch MTV and vote for these awards are the same group of people that influence hit charts: kids and teens. If you look at kids nowadays compared to 20-30 years ago, then they're more emancipated. They have more liberties, more choices, more possessions, and more spending power. And almost everybody at that age is obsessed with music. I think if you look at the 60's and 70's it were mostly young adults who bought music and determined what was popular. Didn't see any kids being hippies. ;D And kids are also more able to listen to music than in the past, because they have an ipod, iphone, pc or whatever.

But there still is good music. You just have to dig a bit deeper.
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2011 11:07:46 am by Bier »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,393 posts | 3397 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3: Nov 08, 2011 10:55:54 am
      Jeez, I remember when MTV was a music channel, now it is shows reality TV 24/7 and this is a sign of its dumbing down. There is good music out there and good people prepared to play it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Nov 08, 2011 11:05:15 am
      I'm afraid it's a sign you getting old Racer, those damn kids and their modern music.  :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Nov 08, 2011 12:35:11 pm
      I'm afraid it's a sign you getting old Racer, those damn kids and their modern music.  :D

Realising the dream.
      Turning into a grumpy old man.

Damn pesky kids.
      Music was better in my day.

What I do mean, to get serious for a second, is that how hard must it now be for a genuine band to make a living.
      I refer to bands outside the X-Factor and Got Talent nonsense our youth are spoon fed.
      How can a genuine talent band forge its way through the masses of sh*t that people are filtering through?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #6: Nov 08, 2011 12:44:48 pm
      How good is Adele btw? I've been listening about her for quite a long time but only heard a few of her songs the other day, thought they were good
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #7: Nov 08, 2011 12:59:09 pm
      Linkin Park were quality for their first 2 albums - hardly rock these days though!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Nov 08, 2011 01:05:28 pm
      How good is Adele btw? I've been listening about her for quite a long time but only heard a few of her songs the other day, thought they were good

Powerful voice, excellent if you want to listen to music inspired by broken relationships.
      If your feeling happy about yourself and relationships you might ruin the mood.
      Bier
      Reply #9: Nov 08, 2011 01:06:34 pm
      I think it's not that hard racer, or not harder than it was. There's still a very high demand for good music. And if a band is good and inventive then they'll find listeners through the internet, even in other countries which was quite hard before the internet unless you were a huge success. The so called word of mouth concept has never been so effective. And people who love a certain kind of music go look for more of it online, and find it. A music service like last fm is a good example of how good music is spread and discovered, and then there's the social media sites too. And if you look at some of the most popular online music magazines like Pitchfork, NME and Spin. Their target audience is different from today's MTV, but more like the old MTV. And there's tons of blogs out there spreading music too. And artists nowadays make very little on record sales, the real money is in performing on stage. And I think when it comes to concerts and festivals, there's probably never been given more of those than now. And most festivals actually have pretty good music.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Nov 08, 2011 01:09:04 pm
      I think it's not that hard racer, or not harder than it was. There's still a very high demand for good music. And if a band is good and inventive then they'll find listeners through the internet, even in other countries which was quite hard before the internet. The so called word of mouth concept has never been so effective. And people who love a certain kind of music go look for more of it online, and find it. A music service like last fm is a good example of how good music is spread and discovered, and then there's the social media sites too. And if you look at the some of the most popular online music magazines like Pitchfork, NME and Spin. Their target audience is different from today's MTV, but more like the old MTV. And there's tons of blogs out there spreading music too. And artists nowadays make very little on record sales, the real money is in performing on stage. And I think when it comes to concerts and festivals, there's probably never been given more of those than now. And most festivals actually have pretty good music.

Seems that artists have to become popular to make any worthwhile living of it though.
      Long gone the days of massive royalties for just writing.
      Now an artist must aspire to:

Large tours.
      Merchandise sales.
      Advert backing music.
      Movie soundtrack.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #11: Nov 08, 2011 01:17:20 pm
      It was always about money but it seems the dosh is the only thing that matters now, they churn out this sh*te consistently and the kids "the buying public" who monopolise sales devour it battery farm fashion.
      The automatic music syndrome is here to stay, quality will become a rarity and is why older tunes are contiually reworked, refashoined and listened to over and over.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #12: Nov 08, 2011 01:21:33 pm
      Powerful voice, excellent if you want to listen to music inspired by broken relationships.
      If your feeling happy about yourself and relationships you might ruin the mood.
      She's laid up isn't she mate? Believe her voice is totally exhausted and got to be rested for 12 months, sure someone mentioned surgery can't be sure.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #13: Nov 08, 2011 01:26:35 pm
      She's laid up isn't she mate? Believe her voice is totally exhausted and got to be rested for 12 months, sure someone mentioned surgery can't be sure.

Adele's vocal cord surgery for benign polyp called 'success,' singer's concerts still canceled for remainder of year 

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/adele-vocal-cord-surgery-benign-polyp-called-uccess-singer-concerts-canceled-remainder-year-article-1.974059#ixzz1d7VV5KYZ
      Bier
      Reply #14: Nov 08, 2011 01:41:26 pm
      Seems that artists have to become popular to make any worthwhile living of it though.
      Long gone the days of massive royalties for just writing.
      Now an artist must aspire to:

Large tours.
      Merchandise sales.
      Advert backing music.
      Movie soundtrack.

I don't know, I guess it has ups and downs. Artists have always had to become popular to make a living of it though? And big artists now make alot more money than they did in the past, even if if their income is more from tours or commercial stuff.  I don't think it really matters how they make money. But what I do like is that any band can find their own audience now, while previously that was harder. In the past record companies generally had a huge influence in who became succesful, while now with internet good music is spread in a more natural way. It might not create the same financially rich elite artists like it has in the past, but I think more artists should be able to find an audience.
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2011 01:57:07 pm by Bier »
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #15: Nov 08, 2011 05:48:06 pm
      No, not a sign of it being a dying art, I don't think good music ceased to be. Nowadays the people who watch MTV and vote for these awards are the same group of people that influence hit charts: kids and teens. If you look at kids nowadays compared to 20-30 years ago, then they're more emancipated. They have more liberties, more choices, more possessions, and more spending power. And almost everybody at that age is obsessed with music. I think if you look at the 60's and 70's it were mostly young adults who bought music and determined what was popular. Didn't see any kids being hippies. ;D And kids are also more able to listen to music than in the past, because they have an ipod, iphone, pc or whatever.

But there still is good music. You just have to dig a bit deeper.
      I totally agree with this part and that's why I'm not surprised that the 3 biggest winners from that list are Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Bruno Mars. MTV have been sh*t for years now, you can't hear good music there anymore, you can't hear classics or anything. All they have are the dumbest Hilton shows, or some other naked, drunken young people in some reality type of show. I stooped watching them years ago and I was the type that never missed any of those awards.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16: Nov 09, 2011 12:06:37 am
      Surely there's more to music than Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga and Bruno Mars?! Hard to believe MTV used to be quite important! This song is more relevant than ever!

DIRE STRAITS - MONEY FOR NOTHING

Thank you Mark Knopfler!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #17: Nov 09, 2011 11:57:22 am
      Take Adele out and this has to be the worst list of winners I've ever seen.
      Queen - Global icon is fair enough, but for Adele to get tokenism is a joke.
      As is Linkin Park- Best Rock
      or
      Thirty Seconds To Mars - Best Alternative - Best World Stage.

Music, the music I grew up loving, has long since ceased to be.

Full List of MTV EMA 2011 Winners
      Best Female β€” Lady Gaga
      Best Male β€” Justin Bieber
      Best Pop β€” Justin Bieber
      Best Song β€” Lady Gaga, 'Born This Way'
      Best Rock β€” Linkin Park
      Global Icon β€” Queen
      Best Video β€” Lady Gaga, 'Born This Way'
      Biggest Fans β€” Lady Gaga
      Best Alternative β€” Thirty Seconds To Mars
      Best Hip Hop β€” Eminem
      Best World Stage β€” Thirty Seconds To Mars
      Best Push β€” Bruno Mars
      Best New β€” Bruno Mars
      Best Live β€” Katy Perry
      Best UK & Ireland β€” Adele
      Best Worldwide β€” Bigbang

Well, I have to disagree. Some of todays music I find really quite good. And I'm 48.

You must remember this was MTV European Award. So the votes are from europe as a whole. They are probably from pre-pubescent children who follow trends.

Whether you like Lady-Gaga or not, she does write a tune.
      Eminem, not my cup of tea, but again is very clever with his lyrics.
      Bruno Mars, well his first Album is fantastic, and if it were a Tape, I'd have worn it out.
      Katy Perry, Best Live, well I have just seen her at the MEN and she was boss.

But MTV is a commercial enterprise, and they are only interested in making money, so the awards will go to those generally who make them money, and not necessarily the best. A lot like X-Factor. Why do the Judges always keep the ones with the most ££££ making potential?
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #18: Nov 10, 2011 01:59:24 am
      looks like a bunch of MTV artists to me so what else do you expect?

but it's important to know that the "MTV music awards" really have nothing to do with what music has been good over the past year, lady gaga doesn't write a tune as they are not written by her, not the big new overplayed songs on her album anyway as that whole image and sound is not her like all the other pop stars MTV endorse and make people believe are music. is just full of celebrities going by what MTV want and what they're pushing... they are not music awards!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #19: Nov 10, 2011 02:06:17 pm
      I always thought these awards were Video Music Awards!

More to do with the vids, than the actual music.

Quick Reply