Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

The TV Series Discussion Thread

Read 313153 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Re: The TV Series Discussion Thread
      Reply #1104: Sep 18, 2014 02:23:06 am
      How dare you!
      Better than The Thick of It!!!!!
      Never. Veep is different. It's brilliant but not as cutting and realistic as TTOI
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1105: Sep 18, 2014 04:11:28 am
      I was the same, the premise didn't particularly appeal so I ignored it even though several people told me to watch it. I eventually gave it a go, watched a couple of episodes and within 2 weeks I'd watched the entire 2 series'. Easily one of my favourite shows ever, totally gripping.
      Years ago I was a big Kevin Spacey fan, like most people but 'went off' him later on as he started popping up in airline adverts and seemed to get typecast in everything. House of Cards has brought him back to his best though, absolutely faultless performance from start to end.

Daft little thing but if you haven't got a sub hooked up to your TV, try to find a way to listen to the intro music with a lot of bass, plug headphones in, maybe. I have a soundbar and sub at home and the intro music is an incredibly powerful composition. Then I watched an episode at my parents' house with just the TV speakers and the music loses all of it's menace and power.
      Small thing but it makes a big difference I think.

I usually skip the intro but will try that some day! As for the series, totally agree. Kevin Spacey is amazing on it and it just flows so easily, I can spend half of my day watching it and I won't get tired.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1106: Sep 18, 2014 04:15:23 am
      This week I started watching another series, called Les Revenants, a French tv series (in English, it's called The Returned) which is absolutely brilliant. I think it was Bier who recommended it a few pages ago. I started watching it just 3 days ago with my girlfriend and we've already finished the 1st season. We are now waiting for the 2nd season which is supposed to come out next year. It's really well made, a bit creepy and even scary but not in an obvious way and the characters are all very intriguing. Highly recommended!

The Returned (2014) - Official Trailer
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1107: Sep 18, 2014 05:48:06 am
      I've also watched lots of videos from John Oliver's show. The guy is f***in hilarious:

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Student Debt (HBO)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1108: Sep 18, 2014 08:03:53 am
      I've also watched lots of videos from John Oliver's show. The guy is f***in hilarious:

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Student Debt (HBO)

They're on a break at present, you can download old episodes though, but I can't recommend The Bugle podcast that John Oliver does with Andy Zaltzman enough, at times it's more than a little absurdist but it's always funny.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #1109: Sep 29, 2014 01:29:00 pm
      How dare you!
      Better than The Thick of It!!!!!
      Never. Veep is different. It's brilliant but not as cutting and realistic as TTOI

And has no one, and I mean no-one like Malcolm Tucker!!

Bier
      Reply #1110: Sep 29, 2014 02:22:12 pm
      This week I started watching another series, called Les Revenants, a French tv series (in English, it's called The Returned) which is absolutely brilliant. I think it was Bier who recommended it a few pages ago. I started watching it just 3 days ago with my girlfriend and we've already finished the 1st season. We are now waiting for the 2nd season which is supposed to come out next year. It's really well made, a bit creepy and even scary but not in an obvious way and the characters are all very intriguing. Highly recommended!

The Returned (2014) - Official Trailer

Yeah, loved that one. Very stylish and atmospheric series. They just started filming the 2nd season.

If you're looking for some more series I'd recommend the Swedish/Danish series Bron/Broen: www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785

The Bridge - Bron / Broen Trailer

A very good detective thriller series with great lead characters.

Also, Utopia: www.imdb.com/title/tt2384811

Utopia | Coming Soon | Channel 4

A highly original series that's hard to define, but I really like it.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #1111: Oct 07, 2014 10:46:59 pm
      Loving the final season of Boardwalk Empire. It's not everyone's cup of tea and the plot if you look at the show as whole does go off track at times but when it's on form it one of the best around.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1112: Oct 07, 2014 11:51:10 pm
      Loving the final season of Boardwalk Empire. It's not everyone's cup of tea and the plot if you look at the show as whole does go off track at times but when it's on form it one of the best around.

I'm really enjoying it as well Scott.

Looking forward to the Van Alden story line and also Margaret hopefully coming back into things in Atlantic City again.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #1113: Oct 08, 2014 09:48:00 pm

Looking forward to the Van Alden story line and also Margaret hopefully coming back into things in Atlantic City again.

Yep love Van Walden as a character, cant say im too bothered about Margaret meself as I've always found her a bit annoying. The one strange thing about Boardwalk is the way it follows some of the characters even though they have become bit-part or less important to the plot ie. Richard Harrow or mummy D'Armati, even Chalky White. it's quite unlike moist other series I've watched in this respect.

Great show though and i'm looking forward to seeing Steve Graham get more and more psycho as Capone! Still can't beat the Gyp Rosetti series though (think it was season 4), he has to be one of my favourite ever characters.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1114: Oct 08, 2014 10:08:38 pm
      Yep love Van Walden as a character, cant say im too bothered about Margaret meself as I've always found her a bit annoying. The one strange thing about Boardwalk is the way it follows some of the characters even though they have become bit-part or less important to the plot ie. Richard Harrow or mummy D'Armati, even Chalky White. it's quite unlike moist other series I've watched in this respect.

Great show though and i'm looking forward to seeing Steve Graham get more and more psycho as Capone! Still can't beat the Gyp Rosetti series though (think it was season 4), he has to be one of my favourite ever characters.

Rosetti was fantastic. Really liked Richard Harrow as well.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1115: Oct 13, 2014 04:27:29 am

Nelson is a brilliant character who I can't help but smile at when on screen. Much kudos to the actor who plays him.

A bit of a shame really that Buscemi doesn't want to go on with it and it'll be interesting to see how HBO/Scorsese/Wahlberg manage to compress all of the storylines to a conclusion.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1116: Oct 13, 2014 11:16:33 am
      Nelson is a brilliant character who I can't help but smile at when on screen. Much kudos to the actor who plays him.

A bit of a shame really that Buscemi doesn't want to go on with it and it'll be interesting to see how HBO/Scorsese/Wahlberg manage to compress all of the storylines to a conclusion.

Michael Shannon plays Nelson and he is a fantastic actor mate.

Thought the guy who is playing the younger Nucky is doing a great job of 'being' Steve Buscemi.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1117: Oct 13, 2014 04:29:25 pm

Thought the guy who is playing the younger Nucky is doing a great job of 'being' Steve Buscemi.

Agree mate. He's got Nucky's mannerisms down to a 't'. Not bad for an English bloke from Leeds eh? Just looked him up on IMDB - Marc Pickering.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1118: Oct 27, 2014 05:03:31 pm
      Any Hannibal fans here? Started watching this week and have enjoyed it so far, though I'm far from being blown away by it.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1119: Oct 27, 2014 06:15:58 pm
      Any Hannibal fans here? Started watching this week and have enjoyed it so far, though I'm far from being blown away by it.

Thinks that where you stay with it mate

It's good but it doesn't blow you away.

I've watched both series and it's extremely watchable and enjoyable but it never absolutely blows your mind.

Mads Mikelsson is very good throughout though as Hannibal, he makes the show for me
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1120: Oct 28, 2014 07:23:06 am
      Quite gutted that they finished Boardwalk Empire in such a manner. IMO it was all a bit too rushed and it was as though they (Buscemi, at least) couldn't wait to fu*k it all off.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #1121: Oct 28, 2014 01:28:01 pm

Was thinking the same, where they found him I don't know as Buschemi is a very weird looking guy, very strong likeness though.

Only one episode left of Boardwalk (if your watching on Sky Atlantic). Have thoroughly enjoyed this season but it does feel rushed and should really be 1--12 episodes for me. They are doing a nice job of tying up the loose ends so far (not sure if that is the best way to put it but don't wanna be a mega spoiler!)  ie. chalky, Van Alden.

Will be gutted when it finishes.

It's been a strange program, seasons 1 and 2 were decent without really taking off to the extent you expected, season 3 was epic, season 4 was pretty good and then this one has been superb.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1122: Oct 28, 2014 01:33:04 pm
      Was thinking the same, where they found him I don't know as Buschemi is a very weird looking guy, very strong likeness though.

Only one episode left of Boardwalk (if your watching on Sky Atlantic). Have thoroughly enjoyed this season but it does feel rushed and should really be 1--12 episodes for me. They are doing a nice job of tying up the loose ends so far (not sure if that is the best way to put it but don't wanna be a mega spoiler!)  ie. chalky, Van Alden.

Will be gutted when it finishes.

It's been a strange program, seasons 1 and 2 were decent without really taking off to the extent you expected, season 3 was epic, season 4 was pretty good and then this one has been superb.

Yeah I'm the same mate, I did like the first two seasons better than you did though with the sounds of it.

I was suprised when I heard after the episode Saturday that there was only one left though.. 8 episodes in the last series seems really short. I thought there would be at least 3 more
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #1123: Oct 30, 2014 03:38:00 pm
      Yeah I'm the same mate, I did like the first two seasons better than you did though with the sounds of it.

I was suprised when I heard after the episode Saturday that there was only one left though.. 8 episodes in the last series seems really short. I thought there would be at least 3 more

Yeah I'm probably being a bit tough on the first two and should really watch them back again once it is all done.

Yeah it just needs a couple more episodes for me, I wanted more Capone! Steve Graham is brilliant, one of my favourite actors
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #1124: Oct 30, 2014 06:01:57 pm
      Yeah I'm probably being a bit tough on the first two and should really watch them back again once it is all done.

Yeah it just needs a couple more episodes for me, I wanted more Capone! Steve Graham is brilliant, one of my favourite actors

Stephen Graham's scene with his son was one of the best in the finale. Amazing job by him with such a brutal character.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1125: Oct 30, 2014 08:01:54 pm
      Saw the first episode of The Thick of It the other day and thought it was hilarious.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #1126: Oct 30, 2014 10:02:21 pm
      Stephen Graham's scene with his son was one of the best in the finale. Amazing job by him with such a brutal character.

I will look forward to it, amazing actor. I don't know if you watched this is England (the series), he is incredible in that, very very talented actor

Quick Reply