Trending Topics

The TV Series Discussion Thread

Read 314278 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: The TV Series Discussion Thread
      Reply #1495: Oct 29, 2015 09:53:37 am
      Finished the first series of Luther tonight. Recommended viewing to anyone with Netflix who hasn't seen it. Idris Elba is brilliant in the lead role.  :gt-happyup:

I'm a bit further along than you, love the series, not a single character I like. That's not a bad thing, they all live in the grey, are selfish and duplicitous and, idiotic TV execs take note, you don't need to like the characters to like a show.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1496: Oct 29, 2015 02:13:06 pm
      I'm a bit further along than you, love the series, not a single character I like. That's not a bad thing, they all live in the grey, are selfish and duplicitous and, idiotic TV execs take note, you don't need to like the characters to like a show.

That's exactly right and not something that I had considered to be honest. I find it a difficult show to explain to someone who hasn't seen it. I would just simply tell them to watch it and hopefully enjoy it.

I'll be starting on the second series later today.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #1497: Oct 29, 2015 06:28:02 pm
      All done with season 1 of Fargo.

Fantastic stuff and can't wait to start the second.

Billy Bob Thornton is great as Malvo but I think the stand out was Martin Freeman as Lester Nygaard.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #1498: Oct 29, 2015 07:07:54 pm

Billy Bob Thornton is great as Malvo but I think the stand out was Martin Freeman as Lester Nygaard.

I like season 2 even better. What a fantastic show!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #1499: Nov 01, 2015 12:58:49 pm
      First two episodes of the second season have been great too!

Anyone watching this seasons Walking Dead?...... I am extremely disappointed! Really poor so far! First episode felt like a 90's soap and the second episode, all that was missing was Carol in a mask and a cape...  :-\

HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1500: Nov 01, 2015 08:30:23 pm
      Disappointed to see that series two and three of Luther only have four episodes each.  :(

If it was American, it would have a lot more, but some is better than nothing.

Having a BBC fest at the moment - nearing of the end of Luther and started with Life on Mars, which I missed on TV, plus watching Hustle again from the start which is one of my favourite series. It's a bit far-fetched but still good. Also started with Marco Polo.

When I finish Luther, I'm moving on to Fargo following the praise for it here.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1501: Nov 01, 2015 09:04:39 pm

Having a BBC fest at the moment - nearing of the end of Luther and started with Life on Mars,

Loved Life On Mars, Ashes To Ashes was just as good. 
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1502: Nov 01, 2015 09:14:34 pm

Yeah, I thought they were both fantastic.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1503: Nov 01, 2015 09:28:09 pm
      Disappointed to see that series two and three of Luther only have four episodes each.  :(

If it was American, it would have a lot more, but some is better than nothing.

Having a BBC fest at the moment - nearing of the end of Luther and started with Life on Mars, which I missed on TV, plus watching Hustle again from the start which is one of my favourite series. It's a bit far-fetched but still good. Also started with Marco Polo.

When I finish Luther, I'm moving on to Fargo following the praise for it here.

That's why I like British tv a lot quality over quantity. Fawlty Towers was perfect as it was for being so short. Life on Mars was perfect as it was at just two series. Also with something like Life on Mars, you didn't need to be told to keep watching for 4 more episodes to 'become gripped by it'. Slow burners they aren't. Watched an Armando Iannucci lecture at the Edinburgh Festival recently and agreed when he said that all these quality US dramas these days are nothing new - the BBC's been at it for years, decades even. Life On Mars is probably the best tv series I've seen in the last 10 years....just refreshing that no one banged on about it like Breaking Bad. :D
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1504: Nov 02, 2015 12:32:34 am

Loving it so far. Producing a series from the 70s is quite a challenge, given the lack of outside locations available.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1505: Nov 02, 2015 12:34:10 am
      That's why I like British tv a lot quality over quantity. Fawlty Towers was perfect as it was for being so short. Life on Mars was perfect as it was at just two series. Also with something like Life on Mars, you didn't need to be told to keep watching for 4 more episodes to 'become gripped by it'. Slow burners they aren't. Watched an Armando Iannucci lecture at the Edinburgh Festival recently and agreed when he said that all these quality US dramas these days are nothing new - the BBC's been at it for years, decades even. Life On Mars is probably the best tv series I've seen in the last 10 years....just refreshing that no one banged on about it like Breaking Bad. :D

That's a good point you make. I would always favour quality over quantity and the BBC shine with drama, as you say.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1506: Nov 02, 2015 01:46:23 am
      That's a good point you make. I would always favour quality over quantity and the BBC shine with drama, as you say.

Quality control is in the hands of the writers here in the UK. In the US they sign everyone onto a seven year contract so the producers/money men dictate. But if a writer here decides they don't want to write another series of this or that then the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 have to accept it as it is and accept the programmes end. Far more rewarding on an artistic level. I think we underestimate just how good British tv can be. As you noted there's the likes of Life on Mars, Sherlock and then you get some brilliant one off series/dramas written by people like Jimmy McGovern.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1507: Nov 03, 2015 11:31:56 pm
      New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci.

Star Trek, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original Star Trek spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the Star Trek television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original Star Trek series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic Star Trek, and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the Star Trek franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce Star Trek's next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-star-trek-series-premieres-january-2017

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1508: Nov 04, 2015 02:06:43 am
      I've been watching some season 4 of Angel over the last few nights.  It gets a lot of stick, the Connor storyline, Cordy's exit and the much darker, adult tone it took on as this season progressed.  In particular there is a run of 4 episodes, from Calvary to Orpheus, if you like the genre of course, that is just top notch TV.  Chaotic evil, learning to live in the grey, redemption, confusion, mystical pregnancy, drug issues. It just hits so many things, yet never loses focus of the ongoing story and very few 20-24 episode a season shows hit four in a row out of the park.  Here they did.

What makes this very impressive, for me, is whilst I think David Boreanaz and Eliza Dushku both have very strong on-screen presences, I find neither to be  very good actors, here though, both put in grade A performances. Alexis Denisof deserves particular praise, never written consistently in either of the Buffyverse vehicles, is superb. His scene with Lilah's corpse could have become farce or extremely cheesy, the writing isn't great, but you see and feel so much of the scene, because of Denisof's portrayal of Wesley.

I don't think I'll ever convince anyone to watch this, f they weren't already on board, but maybe, just maybe, some of you that did enjoy Angel, but had issues with season 4, will give it a rewatch.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 2816 
      Reply #1509: Nov 05, 2015 10:44:07 pm
      Maybe slightly too long but that Morgan-centred episode of The Walking Dead was absolutely brilliant. Lennie James is one of the best in the business that's for sure.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1510: Nov 08, 2015 01:06:12 am
      Maybe slightly too long but that Morgan-centred episode of The Walking Dead was absolutely brilliant. Lennie James is one of the best in the business that's for sure.

I agree about Lennie James. He is a quality actor who I enjoy watching. He has been very good in what I have seen so far of The Walking Dead and he was equally good in Line of Duty and Run.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1511: Nov 08, 2015 01:08:58 am
      I have finished Luther now and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am left wanting more, which is a sign of appreciation for a quality show.

Still plodding on with Life on Mars and Marco Polo, plus just watched the first episode of Fargo which I liked a lot. I can see me finishing the first series of that in the coming week.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #1512: Nov 16, 2015 07:02:17 pm
      About 10 years late to the party but I've started watching Prison Break on Netflix.Not the best I have ever seen but still very good. I'm on the third season at the moment and it's impressive that they developed the storyline this far and kept it fresh and interesting. I remember quite a few people being disappointed with the 4th series when it was on tv, so I'll just have to see for myself.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1513: Nov 16, 2015 10:47:01 pm

Totally agree about the first series. Really good and both actors you named were excellent. I too would give the honours to Martin Freeman, but not by much.

I watched the first episode of the second series a few days ago and it didn't grab me in the same way that the first series did.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #1514: Nov 16, 2015 10:49:05 pm
      Totally agree about the first series. Really good and both actors you named were excellent. I too would give the honours to Martin Freeman, but not by much.

I watched the first episode of the second series a few days ago and it didn't grab me in the same way that the first series did.

I've just finished Episode 4 mate and although it is very good like you it hasn't grabbed me the way the first season did. It could be a more slow burner though and it is starting to get interesting.

Still miles better than a lot of the stuff on at the moment though.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1515: Nov 16, 2015 10:52:06 pm
      I've just finished Episode 4 mate and although it is very good like you it hasn't grabbed me the way the first season did. It could be a more slow burner though and it is starting to get interesting.

Still miles better than a lot of the stuff on at the moment though.

I'll stick with it.  :gt-happyup:
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1516: Nov 16, 2015 11:58:53 pm
      About 10 years late to the party but I've started watching Prison Break on Netflix.Not the best I have ever seen but still very good. I'm on the third season at the moment and it's impressive that they developed the storyline this far and kept it fresh and interesting. I remember quite a few people being disappointed with the 4th series when it was on tv, so I'll just have to see for myself.

For me, each season got better, apart from a slow patch in season three.  I know I'm in the minority on that though.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1517: Nov 17, 2015 09:11:27 pm
      For me, each season got better, apart from a slow patch in season three.  I know I'm in the minority on that though.

I think it was season three when I gave up on it, or maybe early in the final season. I really enjoyed the first two seasons and I thought it had lost something afterwards.

It's a show I can see myself watching again at some point when I have nothing else lined up to see.

Quick Reply