Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

The TV Series Discussion Thread

Read 313330 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Re: The TV Series Discussion Thread
      Reply #1633: Mar 11, 2016 01:49:45 pm
      So I have finished the new series of House of Cards and I'm left with that sad, empty feeling that I always have when I have really enjoyed something.  :'(

It's been a seamless transition from series three into four and there is plenty more to be had from this show in the future - the quality of the writing is there for all to see.

Just finished myself and I flew through this season.

Quality viewing from beginning to end.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1634: Mar 15, 2016 10:35:24 pm
      Been enjoying The Night Manager on BBC 1.

Takes a good show to make me tune into regular telly these days.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1635: Mar 16, 2016 01:40:56 am
      I randomly came across a Never Mind the Buzzocks episode on youtube and found it quite funny - Frankie Boyle was on it. Does anyone watch that show?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1636: Mar 16, 2016 08:45:29 am
      I randomly came across a Never Mind the Buzzocks episode on youtube and found it quite funny - Frankie Boyle was on it. Does anyone watch that show?

I was a regular viewer Diego and did like the show but I'm not a fa of Boyle.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1637: Mar 16, 2016 09:50:33 am

Used to love the show when Mark Lamarr presented it.

I used to watch it all the time but not any more, it got a bit stale when they lost a regular presenter.

Yeah, they brought it back with Rhod Gilbert as a regular presenter but it got axed and won't be coming back.

If they ever brought it back it needs to be with the right host though, that's what it needs. Personally loved it when Lamarr was on, thought Amstell just booked people in to belittle them (and got a tad personal) and wasn't a massive fan of him directly but there was plenty of funny moments on it. Whereas, Lamarr he'd rip into someone but at least you knew he was taking the piss.

Some guest presenters did give it a good go, Jack Whitehall and Richard Ayoade to name a few.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1638: Mar 17, 2016 06:45:34 pm
      Its a real good time for binge watching TV series at the moment because they are all so good.

Finished house of cards in 2 days, definitely better than last season for me, a lot more about the politics once it gets going.

Been watching the walking dead too which has picked up and is looking like it can only get better, and finally my favourite show at the moment Vikings, can't express how great the show is, for me it is better than game of thrones and breaking bad. I think the other shows mentioned are better overall but for me i just love Vikings and is my favourite show.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1639: Mar 18, 2016 07:43:53 pm
      Daredevil season 2 dropped this morning. Will have to try one episode a day, starting tomorrow.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1640: Mar 18, 2016 10:42:45 pm
      Started episode 1 of House this afternoon.

Think I'll enjoy it.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1641: Mar 18, 2016 11:09:30 pm

Think I'll enjoy it.

It's so good, Hugh Laurie is the perfect man for the role!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1642: Mar 18, 2016 11:49:08 pm

Think I'll enjoy it.

Be interesting to see how you progress through it, enjoyed it myself, for the large part, hits great at times, but not often. Currently working my way through Heroes season 1 (rewatch), The Sopranos season 3, Modern Family Season 1, last season of That 70's Show, Sliders and How I Met Your Mother, but only because I'm a completionist, Buffy Season 2 (rewatch), Star Trek TNG season 7 (rewatch) then on to DS9 when that's finished, The Mentalist season 3, Fringe Season 1, CSI season 8, The Simpsons season 13, CSI NY season 7, Ghost Whisper season 5, Stargate Universe Season 2, NCIS LA season 4, Glee season 3, Lost season 6, Justified Season 3, CSI Miami season 8, Supernatural season 5, Family Guy season 14, Chuck season 4, Lewis season 5, 24 season 8, American Dad season 8. Should keep me busy for a month or six.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1643: Mar 18, 2016 11:56:37 pm
      Be interesting to see how you progress through it, enjoyed it myself, for the large part, hits great at times, but not often. Currently working my way through Heroes season 1 (rewatch), The Sopranos season 3, Modern Family Season 1, last season of That 70's Show, Sliders and How I Met Your Mother, but only because I'm a completionist, Buffy Season 2 (rewatch), Star Trek TNG season 7 (rewatch) then on to DS9 when that's finished, The Mentalist season 3, Fringe Season 1, CSI season 8, The Simpsons season 13, CSI NY season 7, Ghost Whisper season 5, Stargate Universe Season 2, NCIS LA season 4, Glee season 3, Lost season 6, Justified Season 3, CSI Miami season 8, Supernatural season 5, Family Guy season 14, Chuck season 4, Lewis season 5, 24 season 8, American Dad season 8. Should keep me busy for a month or six.

Bloody Hell Rodders good job you have a good memory, I would never remember what episode I have seen! hence why I stick to one series at a time.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1644: Mar 18, 2016 11:58:38 pm

Think I'll enjoy it.

Cracking series mate. Like most American series the biggest fault is how uneven each season is. Good start, filler episodes, good middle, filler episodes, good ending. Seems to be the general pattern that very few American TV series break. 

You do get the odd exception such as Breaking Bad where the quality is maintained throughout , but Justified, NCIS, The Mentalist, all series that I have enjoyed, have all followed this familiar pattern.   

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1645: Mar 19, 2016 12:00:33 am
      Bloody Hell Rodders good job you have a good memory, I would never remember what episode I have seen! hence why I stick to one series at a time.

Keep it all in a book,watch them at random as well. Stupidly large DVD collection.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1646: Mar 19, 2016 12:13:16 am
      Be interesting to see how you progress through it

Really enjoying it so far and watched another two this evening.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1647: Mar 19, 2016 06:44:13 am

Really enjoying it so far and watched another two this evening.

When you get to season 6 one of the episodes has him diagnosing an illness my son actually had when he was little :- Henoch–Schonlein purpura. Obviously it wasn't such a straightforward diagnosis for House as my sons was, but thankfully both patients survived with no bad after effects :)

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1648: Mar 19, 2016 08:16:37 am
      When you get to season 6 one of the episodes has him diagnosing an illness my son actually had when he was little :- Henoch–Schonlein purpura. Obviously it wasn't such a straightforward diagnosis for House as my sons was, but thankfully both patients survived with no bad after effects :)

Are you sure it wasn't Lupus?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1649: Mar 19, 2016 08:24:37 am

Nah, that was the first thing they checked for every week mate.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1650: Mar 19, 2016 05:59:03 pm

Think I'll enjoy it.

I added this to my list on Netflix sometime ago with the intention of watching it, but never got round to it. I'll be giving it a go soon after reading positive things here.

Currently watching Dexter series 2, Gotham City and finishing off Parks & Recreation on Amazon.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #1651: Mar 20, 2016 11:03:29 pm
      Have thoroughly enjoyed the first 5 episodes of Vinyl. It's produced by Martin Scorcese and Mick Jagger. Recommend it to anyone who likes their music and a sex, drugs and rock n roll theme and it stars the excellent Frank Cannavalle (who played Gyp Rosetti in Boardwalk Empire).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1652: Mar 21, 2016 12:00:14 am
      Have thoroughly enjoyed the first 5 episodes of Vinyl. It's produced by Martin Scorcese and Mick Jagger. Recommend it to anyone who likes their music and a sex, drugs and rock n roll theme and it stars the excellent Frank Cannavalle (who played Gyp Rosetti in Boardwalk Empire).

I've got this on a series link mate but its got that far in I'm now going to wait and watch them all in a row.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #1653: Mar 23, 2016 09:28:09 pm
      Anyone watching 'The Night Manager' BBC 1 Sunday at 9pm ?

It's absolutely brilliant.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1654: Mar 23, 2016 10:13:27 pm
      Must admit I'm struggling with season 3 of The Sopranos, it has become a little cartoonish.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1655: Mar 24, 2016 12:20:29 am
      Anyone watching 'The Night Manager' BBC 1 Sunday at 9pm ?

It's absolutely brilliant.

Fantastic show Cas.

Haven't seen Sundays though.

Quick Reply